Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamieblufc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2016
So I read somewhere on here about someones status of their SSD not being verified for SMART Status and this could be affecting battery life.

Mine is also showing as not supported, Is this an issue with my SSD which could indicate a failure?

See attached image

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 18.28.29.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 18.28.29.png
    273.5 KB · Views: 376
Reactions: mahcus36

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
If it's of any consolation, I stopped by my local Apple Store and mentioned the poor battery life I'm getting. The Apple employee said her co-worker had the same problem and exchanged their MBP with Touch Bar for a new one (they were getting 3-5 hours of battery life). Curious as to how Apple is going to address this, if at all.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
If it's of any consolation, I stopped by my local Apple Store and mentioned the poor battery life I'm getting. The Apple employee said her co-worker had the same problem and exchanged their MBP with Touch Bar for a new one (they were getting 3-5 hours of battery life). Curious as to how Apple is going to address this, if at all.

I'm wondering what the return rate is? In a month or two there should be plenty of refurbished ones available!

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I'm wondering what the return rate is? In a month or two there should be plenty of refurbished ones available!
Yep, and all with uneven screens, spongy keys, misaligned lids, inexplicable crashing and other goodies that will slip through the QA (again)! ;)

Reactions: Grolubao

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Well, I doubt they'll have them available as refurbished units since that would cannibalize the sale of new units.
My MBP also has the interesting display issue where if you shake the computer back and forth a bit, you can feel/hear one of the plates in the display moving back and forth (apparently a common issue, but non of the models in-store exhibited this, although it appears to happen over time).

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
This issue is getting tons of publicity. Currently a FB trending topic, including a BGR article. http://bgr.com/2016/12/05/macbook-pro-2016-battery-problems/
I predict a PR response along the lines of...

Customer response to the revolutionary new MacBook Pro has been off the charts. In our tests, MacBook Pro delivers the same industry-leading up-to 10 hour battery life as the previous generation, in a slimmer and significantly lighter design. Customers concerned about the battery performance of their MacBook Pro should contact Apple Support or visit their local Apple Store or Authorised Service Centre.

:D

xspin

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
New York, NY
isn't this the exact same article that macrumors has published a couple of days ago?
Yeah they're all basically the same, BUT the good news is tons of legit sites are picking it up - which is truly only the way to force Apple to put out comms. It's legit the top trending topic on my FB right now.
[doublepost=1481054520][/doublepost]
I predict a PR response along the lines of...

Customer response to the revolutionary new MacBook Pro has been off the charts. In our tests, MacBook Pro delivers the same industry-leading up-to 10 hour battery life as the previous generation, in a slimmer and significantly lighter design. Customers concerned about the battery performance of their MacBook Pro should contact Apple Support or visit their local Apple Store or Authorised Service Centre.

:D
ARE YOU apple's PR? lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 3.01.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 3.01.00 PM.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 185

PyBeck

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
It seems, as a kext cache rebuild helped so far:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Did a reboot after it finished and the AMD is currently taking 0.10 Watts. It's also been active for a few seconds and power consumption reduced again afterwards.

EDIT: No luck, after some continuous use, the consumption isn't dropping. But the weird thing i've noticed is, that the consumption seems to be pegging when the card is inactive. I've been running some stupid java program, which required the discrete, that's the jittering part and on the right is now the part when the integrated is active again, but the jittering stopped and is now creating an elevated plateau.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 22.28.44.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 22.28.44.png
    177 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

fodaveg

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2016
Valencia, Spain
Code:

Did a reboot after it finished and the AMD is currently taking 0.10 Watts. It's also been active for a few seconds and power consumption reduced again afterwards.

I've done that and my power consumption is the same as before, between 11 and 14

Jamieblufc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2016
Could you guys (or girls) check your disk utility, Do your disks show as Verified for SMART ? (where mine shows not supported)

I read this could be an SSD issue that has effect on the battery life

Contacted Customer Service, they've scheduled a call back tomorrow evening. want to check what others are like to compare

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 18.28.29.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 18.28.29.png
    273.5 KB · Views: 150

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Could you guys (or girls) check your disk utility, Do your disks show as Verified for SMART ? (where mine shows not supported)

Contacted Customer Service, they've scheduled a call back tomorrow evening. want to check what others are like to compare
Oh! Mine says not supported too! Not experiencing poor battery life though. But what about the SSD life? Hopefully it is just a reporting bug.

Merlin_the_mog

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2016

My 15" has the 1TB SSD and shows the same - not supported.
My battery life was awful, but was 'fixed' by enabling iCloud Keychain. I'm now getting around 7-8 hours browsing with Safari. This is much better than the 3-5 hours I was getting previously.
I'd like it to be better thought, so I'm interested in whether this SMART thing is a real issue.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008

Mine's 'not supported' too, but I'm getting normal battery life.

Jamieblufc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2016
Oh! Mine says not supported too! Not experiencing poor battery life though. But what about the SSD life? Hopefully it is just a reporting bug.

My 15" has the 1TB SSD and shows the same - not supported.

Of interest, anyone here who's does show as verified ?

I may be barking up the wrong tree in hope but for apple support to book a call to me seems a little strange

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Of interest, anyone here who's does show as verified ?

I may be barking up the wrong tree in hope but for apple support to book a call to me seems a little strange

You might want to create a new thread for this, since it's potentially a separate issue…

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
Code:

EDIT: No luck, after some continuous use, the consumption isn't dropping. But the weird thing i've noticed is, that the consumption seems to be pegging when the card is inactive. I've been running some stupid java program, which required the discrete, that's the jittering part and on the right is now the part when the integrated is active again, but the jittering stopped and is now creating an elevated plateau.

Can you clarify this a little bit? I assume you mean the 0.10 watts is the idle power draw, which seems normal. When the card goes active I see anything from 4 W to 10 W usage.

For what it's worth, I have noticed a few instances where the discrete card will be activated for an obvious reason, but once that intensive process is finished the card will stay active permanently unless I reboot. In other instances, however, I've seen the card switch on and off properly. For example, google maps in a safari tab seems to trigger it, and when that tab is closed the AMD chip turns off pretty soon thereafter.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Also, what do you get for 'Free space' in the Storage section of About This Mac > System Report? My
Was on this forums somewhere. Anyway, after eventually getting somewhere past the rubbish questions from apple it turns out SMART is only for HardDisks and not solid states

Not true, I'm afraid. Did someone at Apple actually tell you that?! Perhaps I should send them a screenshot of my Verified 5K iMac S.M.A.R.T. Status.

Sheesh – 'geniuses'…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.