Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamieblufc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2016
This is one thing I haven't done.... does this mean I'll lose all my settings/work that's currently saved? and how do I go about doing this?

Against what @malikkamran says.

If you do a proper full reinstall of booting into internet recovery, cleaning the hard drive (Erasing it) and then reinstalling MacOS to do a completely fresh install then yes, youll loose all settings

Back up everything onto an external hard drive and then copy back on after reinstalling MacOS

malikkamran

Suspended
Oct 6, 2016
Pakistan
Against what @malikkamran says.

If you do a proper full reinstall of booting into internet recovery, cleaning the hard drive (Erasing it) and then reinstalling MacOS to do a completely fresh install then yes, youll loose all settings

Back up everything onto an external hard drive and then copy back on after reinstalling MacOS
To see better battery life you need to have 25 cycles that's what apple support told

Jamieblufc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2016
To see better battery life you need to have 25 cycles that's what apple support told

Thats the best way to do a fresh install of MacOS though ..

But dont take everything they say as truth, the customer service guy i spoke to on the phone didnt know about a fresh install via internet recovery, GENIUS!. Depending on use could take people a while to get to 25cycles, maybe even past their return period

GrantGochnauer

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
Just a heads that I've been having massive battery issues on my new MBP 2016 (2.9Ghz, Radeon 460, 1TB SSD) and would only get 3 hours doing light surfing. I tried resetting SMC, and all that stuff.

However, there is hope! I had been on the 10.12.2 betas but with the latest update that came out yesterday (beta 5) I went from using about 30w idle to 7-10w idle which effectively 2-3x my battery life under the same scenarios. I would encourage people to check out beta 5 of 10.12.2 and report back.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Just a heads that I've been having massive battery issues on my new MBP 2016 (2.9Ghz, Radeon 460, 1TB SSD) and would only get 3 hours doing light surfing. I tried resetting SMC, and all that stuff.

However, there is hope! I had been on the 10.12.2 betas but with the latest update that came out yesterday (beta 5) I went from using about 30w idle to 7-10w idle which effectively 2-3x my battery life under the same scenarios. I would encourage people to check out beta 5 of 10.12.2 and report back.

Great to hear that Apple is working to fix the issue !

sprockett

macrumors member
May 19, 2008

hey what do u use to monitor your power usage?

Kris.K

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2016
How many of you are using Icloud drive? look in activity under CPU for "cloudd" is it hogging your CPU?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Just enough to pass the 14 days return prediod? :D what a nice advice!

Oh I get it. I was part of the initial hysteria. Things have actually improved after I installed Chrome.

10 hours is marketing...

Oh ok it is acceptable because it is only marketing, then why not advertize it lasting the whole day, 24hours...

Reactions: Jamieblufc

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Marc: you are right to be worried and it's difficult to follow all the talk over the last week or so.

My take on it is simple: different people are getting different results because of their individual software setup/configuration. Who knows what works or not with these new MBPs + Sierra ? It certainly feels like Apple is to blame for not testing enough. But I'm sure whatever it is will get fixed over the next few weeks.

I will do a clean re-install and only transfer my files. I will run down the battery twice from full. And then I will report back what kind of battery I am getting.

The nonTB version is getting very good reviews in terms of battery life and performance. I went with the touchbar because I am planning to keep this baby for a long time and I fully expect developers (some already are) to take full advantage of this new input.
Great to hear that Apple is working to fix the issue !

I hope you're right, but:

1. Apple can do only so much with changes to firmware or software. In the end, the energy capacities of the batteries in the 2016 MBPs are what they are.

2. Software fixes can theoretically reduce power consumption by some Apple apps, or they can change the way the OS reports energy usage and/or calculates time remaining.

3. In the end, it's the actual time on battery power that counts, not what the OS says should be left. I'll be interested to hear what you say about the latest beta.

4. Solutions will differ depending on the use case and computer. For example, anything that changes how the dGPU is used in the 15" MBP won't affect the 13" model. Also, I've always found that screen brightness has a major effect on battery life, but some people can tolerate lower settings than others, just as they have to run different apps.

After I pick up my 13" MBP with Touch Bar this weekend, I'm going to use it as is for awhile and wait to see if Apple releases a Sierra update that users report makes a difference—I certainly don't want to have to install two updates. Then I'll migrate my stuff as cleanly as I can and see how it goes. Ultimately, though, I'm not prepared to compromise on how I use my computer—it has to do what I need it to do with reasonable battery life, around 8 hours or so. If it doesn't, it'll go back to Apple and I'll probably exchange it for a non-TB MBP.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
View attachment 676436

arggggh .... my first Macbook and the battery life is shocking, over 2 and half grand and I get 4 hours!!! WTF!!!

Oh and trying to book it into an appointment.... all booked up all the bloody time!

I've tried all the fixes people say (pasm, scs resets etc)

So tempted to return it and buy something else!

Anyone offer anything else i can try

Create a 10.12.1 USB installer and reinstall the OS?
[doublepost=1481038448][/doublepost]
This is one thing I haven't done.... does this mean I'll lose all my settings/work that's currently saved? and how do I go about doing this?

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive-1786853248

Do the "easy way". And no you don't lose anything - just don't wipe the drive. Reinstall over it.

mfarben

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Just installed the new Beta 5 , and guess what apple did :
They got rid of the estimated battery time , so they got rid of us lamenting :D

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-06 um 16.45.24.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-06 um 16.45.24.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: kanyehameha

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Have you reinstalled Sierra yet? Not a fresh setup when you first got it, but a reinstall?
[doublepost=1480986027][/doublepost]
Have you reinstalled Sierra? Not a fresh setup when you first got it, but a reinstall?

@tjleaonard

As you know I reinstalled Sierra and saw an improvement from 6-6.5 hours to 8-8.5 hours. However, I'm back to getting around 6 hours per charge. In fact, yesterday I got 5:45 (I let it run down to 4%). Granted, there was about 8 hours of standby time during the day yesterday, but given that Apple rates standby of 30 days, 8 hours of sleep should not have a significant impact on battery life.

I'm done tracking with Battery Health 2 and Activity Monitor, reducing brightness to 35%, using Safari instead of Chrome, etc.. I never had to do any of that with my MacBook Air—it just got great battery life right out of the box.

I will keep this until the day before the extended holiday return policy permits. If Apple hasn't issued an update by then that fixes this problem, I'll probably return it for the non-TB version. I will really miss TouchID + 1Password, but I couldn't care less about the TB itself. There's nothing it can do that I can't do faster with a keyboard shortcut.

Reactions: DanJBS

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2015
The discrepancy of data here feels like it might be a software issue. I'm getting the 15 inch soon. Can't wait to test it out..

fodaveg

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2016
Valencia, Spain
mbp 13 tb base + 16gb.

I've done smc reset, pvram reset, and Sierra fresh install. my battery lasts 5 hours with light usage. the same that I had before do all that things.

I've just talked with apple cs and they told me that this is not normal. and I have an appointment on an Apple Store on Monday. they will decide if my battery or the whole mbp should be replaced.

also they told me that I'm not the first one to complain about this issue..

i let you know on Monday what the decision is.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I used my 13" TB MBP on battery power all day yesterday and it lasted just over 7 hours at 50% brightness with my usual workload. Multiple tabs open in both Safari and Chrome, music streaming via Spotify almost the whole time, and with Skype, Transmit, TextWrangler, Terminal, Excel, and a few other apps open and being used. coconutBattery tells me I'm using 6-8 watts on average.

For me, this battery life is perfectly acceptable. I did get more battery life with my MacBook Air, but at this point I'm just going to stop making that comparison and enjoy the more powerful machine I currently have. I'm sure I could squeeze out 8-10 hours of battery life on this laptop if I just did light browsing with Safari at reduced brightness and nothing else open.

Aside from the battery life, literally everything else about the machine I really love - including the Touch Bar. So I'm done obsessing about the battery life and moving on to just enjoying my computer.

I realize that not everyone is getting the battery numbers I am, so hopefully Apple addresses this issue with a software update that dramatically improves battery life across the board (like Watch OS 3.1 did).

LilBethan

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2015
Took my 13" TB into the genius bar today as I was having battery drain issues when my MacBook was "sleeping". The guy that served me had no advice for me at all really. He fiddled around with my network settings but that was all. It seems like Apple haven't trained any staff memebers to troubleshoot the new macbook pros yet.

Im hoping his tweaks have sorted my battery issues though :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DanJBS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.