Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Hi I am using the iPhone 6 and nearly two years after the last update the battery lasts considerably less. It monitors the status of the battery using coconut Battery 3.4 on a Macbook and after the last update a look that showed
ip6.png

Today I will be unloaded to the end of the battery and fully loaded see if something will improve
Restore iTunes have no effect.

sorry for my English :)
That's a big difference as the end-that's not normal. You really should contact Apple. I see you are new, welcome to the forum!

Reactions: dianp and Potus325

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Based on nothing more scientific that just reading posts here, I agree with you that there does seem to be something up with battery life on the 6S compared to the 6.
Remember the 6s actually has a smaller battery then the 6 does. That's a little scientific :)

Reactions: simonsi

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Bugger, thats ruined a good debate with a little scientific reality ;-)

Fair enough! And true, though you might have expected incremental improvements in energy efficiency would offset the change. In any case, I don't think the actual difference in capacity explains the dramatic levels of discontent by 6S owners (or at least that's how I've come to see how 6S owners feel).

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Fair enough! And true, though you might have expected incremental improvements in energy efficiency would offset the change. In any case, I don't think the actual difference in capacity explains the dramatic levels of discontent by 6S owners (or at least that's how I've come to see how 6S owners feel).

Maybe, although a 10% reduction in actual capacity may cause that as it may disproportionately affect the amount of time before an individual would opt to charge. Difficult to say.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
and being fair an iphone 6s with ios 9.3.5 has never had a great battery life just decent.

I have one ipad air 2 and ipod touch 6 with ios 10, and ios 10 consumes a little more battery than the previous ios period. Some people can came here saying wait my battery life is far far better, good for you, personally i don't believe you, ios 10 consumes more resources.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
and being fair an iphone 6s with ios 9.3.5 has never had a great battery life just decent.

I have one ipad air 2 and ipod touch 6 with ios 10, and ios 10 consumes a little more battery than the previous ios period. Some people can came here saying wait my battery life is far far better, good for you, personally i don't believe you, ios 10 consumes more resources.
Battery life is not the same for every person. Many people use different apps, have stronger or weaker cell reception, and a host of other variable factors. Thus, it is certainly plausible, that one person can say battery life has been good for him or her, while another experiences worse results.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
It must be a software problem. Every night I left my iPhone with fully charged battery with no Wi-Fi or LTE ON and in the morning I'have already lost 15% of battery. I don't know what is going on but this drains are HUGE problem not only for me,but for my friends also. Never saw this kind of battery on my phone. When I was on iOS 9 with normal usage my phone lasts a full day and a half,now at 8PM I have to plug my device into the charger...

FIX THAT APPLE,ASAP!!!!!!!
On which model?

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
There we go! That's a little too much. I'm in the same boat :( mine at 250 charge cycles with 89% remaining (1515 mAh).

That's probably why my battery is dying so fast :(

My iPhone 6s has 27 battery cycles and is 1 month old! My battery capacity is at 1547! 91%.. You guys can consider yourself quite lucky, because I do not understand how an 1 month old iPhone's battery can depredate that fast and by so much. I took an appointment at the genius bar for Tuesday, however I do not believe that the will at least exchange my battery. Does it bother me? Yes and by quite a lot, because at the beginning i was getting without props 8h30 (even more) of battery life, now after 2 weeks, I barely can make it to 6 hours. I am currently on 9.3.2, do you guys think that for the genius bar appointment I should rathe update my phone? Because otherwise they will come with their ******** excuse that the new update will increase it's capacity and blablabla.
I wish they could at least replace it with a new battery, to have a new start. It is frustrating buying a new phone and having directly a problem with it

Reactions: Morac

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
My iPhone 6s has 27 battery cycles and is 1 month old! My battery capacity is at 1547! 91%.. You guys can consider yourself quite lucky, because I do not understand how an 1 month old iPhone's battery can depredate that fast and by so much. I took an appointment at the genius bar for Tuesday, however I do not believe that the will at least exchange my battery. Does it bother me? Yes and by quite a lot, because at the beginning i was getting without props 8h30 (even more) of battery life, now after 2 weeks, I barely can make it to 6 hours. I am currently on 9.3.2, do you guys think that for the genius bar appointment I should rathe update my phone? Because otherwise they will come with their ******** excuse that the new update will increase it's capacity and blablabla.
I wish they could at least replace it with a new battery, to have a new start. It is frustrating buying a new phone and having directly a problem with it

How are your charging habits? Do you let it drop to 1% and let it turn off? Do you charge it overnight? Do you keep it plugged in often? I think that has a lot to do with losing the battery's capacity.

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
I never let it drop to 1% and turn it off, either do not charge it overnight. And i never keep it plugged for a long time after being charged. I believe that they way i charge and maintain my phone is the way in order to have the best battery capacity. I did this with every other iPhone model and never had a problem

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I question the accuracy of that Coconut battery program.

iPhone batteries can be cycled around 500 of times without losing any capacity. That can change though depending on temperate, charging behavior, etc.

Even in worse case scenarios though a battery won't lose charge after 27 cycles.

Reactions: mich070

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Battery life is not the same for every person. Many people use different apps, have stronger or weaker cell reception, and a host of other variable factors. Thus, it is certainly plausible, that one person can say battery life has been good for him or her, while another experiences worse results.

I'm talking pretty much about OS's by default not customizations. Apparently ios 10 consumes more resources than ios 9 and pretty much many of us could forget about having the same battery that we used to have on ios 9....maybe

I don't know, perhaps Apple wants to take us this way on purpose now:

verge-2015-12-07_11-42-00.0.0.jpg

Pretty much like the recent headphone jack that was removed....buy extra accesories $$$

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm talking pretty much about OS's by default not customizations. Apparently ios 10 consumes more resources than ios 9 and pretty much many of us could forget about having the same battery that we used to have on ios 9....maybe

I don't know, perhaps Apple wants to take us this way on purpose now:

verge-2015-12-07_11-42-00.0.0.jpg

Pretty much like the recent headphone jack that was removed....buy extra accesories $$$
It would be hard to say that's the case given that there are plenty of people not experiencing issues and the level of those who are seem to be more or less on par with pretty much any other (major) iOS update.

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
I question the accuracy of that Coconut battery program.

iPhone batteries can be cycled around 500 of times without losing any capacity. That can change though depending on temperate, charging behavior, etc.

Even in worse case scenarios though a battery won't lose charge after 27 cycles.

Yep that's right. And i find it really stange in my case why does it happen now, after 1 month/27 battery cycles. I will update my iphone, so that they do not come with the excuse of the new update. And i really hope that through the battery test/calibration that they notice that there is really sth wrong with it.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
It would be hard to say that's the case given that there are plenty of people not experiencing issues and the level of those who are seem to be more or less on par with pretty much any other (major) iOS update.

or it is a bug of course...

and i'm not talking here about huge battery leaking issues i'm talking about ios 10 consuming a little more resources than ios 9, i can see that reflected on how much my battery gets consumed now doing the same things.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
There might certainly be something somewhere, but it doesn't really seem to be a widespread one necessarily nor some sort of a "planned" one or anything like that.

I have a different opinion about that. Airpods have a purpose, pretty much $$$ this is a business same for battery power packs but let's wait a month.

Right now i have 0 expectactions about this issue. Apparently ios 10 will not have the same battery performance as ios 9. The thing consumes a little more battery. Learn to leave with it or buy a power pack or stop using Apple phones or wait a month for a possible firmware fix which i don't think it will happen but lets see...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I disagree with that. Airpods have a purpose, pretty much $$$ this is a business same for battery power packs but let's wait a month.

Right now i have 0 expectactions about ios 10 having the same battery performance as ios 9. The thing consumes a little more battery.
Just to make it clear, you are saying because a company is out to make money it makes its OS updates create battery issues and/or consume more power on purpose so that it could sell more battery cases?

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Just to make it clear, you are saying because a company is out to make money it makes its OS updates create battery issues and/or consume more power on purpose so that it could sell more battery cases?

Not necesarily on purpose each ios iteration (X->Y) demands a more powerful hardware each time and that's a fact...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not necesarily on purpose each ios iteration (X->Y) demands a more powerful hardware each time and that's a fact...
Each iteration performs better on newer/better hardware, it doesn't necessarily mean it uses up more battery on other devices. Depending on how things are configured on the devices and what a user ends up using that can certainly be the case often enough, but also might not be. There are certainly people who don't really have much of a difference in battery life from one version to another, and some that might have some improvements potentially, and there are those who will have worse battery life (often enough due to some issues or something like that too). All that said, it's not likely there's something there to tie things to some sort of a push to sell battery cases or something like that.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Then explain why everyone's battery was great on iOS 9, and then lost a couple of hours when they updated to iOS 10? This happens even after restoring and setting up as a new iPhone. That's what I did. My battery is still crap compared to iOS 9.

Reactions: smorrissey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.