Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Exactly or to be fair they just don't care. 2 members of my own family are using ios 10 and they haven't complained about any battery issues, to be fair they are more busy using whatsapp and using their devices than checking a battery metter.

However each one of us is entitled to have an opinion. If that people think is better good for them to be sincere, personally i don't believe them and i'm not referring to the last iphone 7 model nor the plus models but pretty much the previous ones though, me i can only speak for my devices iphone 6s, ipad air 2, ipod touch 6 all affected period.
[doublepost=1475352565][/doublepost]

TMC people are also affected, one or two persons mentioned that here posts above.
[doublepost=1475352733][/doublepost]

and if you don't mind if you don't have the problem why are you here then? Don't get me wrong you are free to post wherever you want but i don't know, it feels like you want to deny/diminish us, not nice.

Perhaps your point is to state that not everybody using ios 10 is affected and i agree with you, is impossible to know that specially on a brand new iphone 7 (which i personally believe it is not affected because its their main product right now).

[doublepost=1475352918][/doublepost]

That test doesn't take in consideration the new raise to wake lock feature, not a complete test imo.
If you notice there's no diminishment going on, as I specifically made sure to point that out. But essentially unnecessary hyperbole and embellishment isn't useful either, right?

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
I'm not discounting your experience, but rather that each OS impacts people differently. You have completely different settings / apps, so our experiences will be different. With your setup, you are experiencing lower battery life. With mine, I'm seeing the same or better. Even though we have different results, we can both be correct.

Setting your phone as new reduces the possibility of software corruption, but does not guarantee better results. For example, if you're a Facebook user and the Facebook app is causing abnormal drain on iOS 10, it is irrelevant whether you set up as new, as you'll see lower battery life regardless.

I can't hear this "everybody's experience is different" story anymore. This seems to always come up whenever a lot of people complain about something here.

I'm really talking about a stock phone: I just installed Geekbench and a local transport app, neither running in the background. I didn't install facebook, whatsapp or whatever.

And the difference is still significant: with ios 9, I can survive a day (even on my worn battery), with ios 10, I have to lug a powerbar around all the time.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I can't hear this "everybody's experience is different" story anymore. This seems to always come up whenever a lot of people complain about something here.

I'm really talking about a stock phone: I just installed Geekbench and a local transport app, neither running in the background. I didn't install facebook, whatsapp or whatever.

And the difference is still significant: with ios 9, I can survive a day (even on my worn battery), with ios 10, I have to lug a powerbar around all the time.
I said I'm not discounting your experience and I didn't say that you have those apps in your phone, as it's pretty clear you don't based on your previous post.

What I am saying is that every situation is different for battery life and every year we see the same threads (most of which comes from people that update their software, rather than setting up as new).

My 6s gets better battery life on iOS 10 and your phone gets reduced battery life. Everyone's experience is different, whether you like to hear it or not.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/air-2-battery-life-8-4-1-vs-9-3-x.1971745/#post-22880809

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/6-plus-battery-drain-under-ios-9.1920513/#post-21941481

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-9-0-gm-battery.1915123/

Last edited:

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
If you notice there's no diminishment going on, as I specifically made sure to point that out. But essentially unnecessary hyperbole and embellishment isn't useful either, right?

No idea of what are you talking about but it's ok, nothing that we (the affected ones) can do here rigth now, hope Apple do something on next updates though..

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Battery for me has worked almost like 9.3.5 on my 6s with 10.0.2. More drain but better than 10.0.
Tonight my % read 51%. I went into Lightroom, did a few things and the screen went black. No switches etc. worked. Plugged it in and the battery showed the little red line like it was almost drained.
The phone rebooted and the % says 49%.

Uh, OK.

Reactions: smorrissey

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
My 6s gets better battery life on iOS 10 and your phone gets reduced battery life. Everyone's experience is different, whether you like to hear it or not.

Maybe your battery life on iOS 9 was bad to begin with. It can happen. Like the links you posted, iOS 9 had its fair share of battery issues. You probably restored from a backup and then something got corrupted. Going from a clean restored version of iOS 9 to a clean restore of iOS 10, the battery life is noticeably worse. That's what I did. I never restore from backups. My battery life is still worse than iOS 9.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Battery for me has worked almost like 9.3.5 on my 6s with 10.0.2. More drain but better than 10.0.
Tonight my % read 51%. I went into Lightroom, did a few things and the screen went black. No switches etc. worked. Plugged it in and the battery showed the little red line like it was almost drained.

Uh, OK.

Your battery needs replacing. Check it's capacity using coconut battery.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Went to see the Genius a week and a half ago and he said it was OK, phone support did a diagnostic and said it was OK as well.
Genius had to ask someone else what the capacity level meant on his readout.
Made me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing I was in good hands.

Reactions: XT550

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Went to see the Genius a week and a half ago and he said it was OK, phone support did a diagnostic and said it was OK as well.
Genius had to ask someone else what the capacity level meant on his readout.
Made me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing I was in good hands.

It shouldn't turn off like that. A faulty battery reading is a dead giveaway that your battery is bad.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
But if their tests say it isn't, then it's up to me to pay. Sucks for a phone not even a year old.

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
im not impressed with the battery life on my iPhone 7 Plus at all, if i just text with the iPhone and basically don't run too many apps then the battery is fine but if i use facebook and use apps then it starts draining rather quickly and its not much better than my old iPhone 6s, i thought the plus had a much better battery and it just doesn't seem that way but then again, the people that report extraordinary battery life must not use the iPhone for any intensive cpu purposes it would see,

i did a restore from backup the day i got my iPhone 7 plus and reset all settings though the settings app right at the beginning so the possibly of a corrupted backup infecting the iphone 7 plus is unlikely.

Sort of defeats the point of owning a smartphone if the device is only used for checking email and texting and browsing safari, because, in that case the battery life is certainly great. It's when i start using apps, playing a game that i see the battery starting to drain in a really annoying way,

As far as standby is concerned, the iPhone retains the battery life overnight and i have only seen either a 2 or 3 percent decrease overnight so thats good,

i have a question, have any of you tried these Battery life saving apps on the app store? such as this one for example : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-doctor-master-battery/id446751279?mt=8

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Maybe your battery life on iOS 9 was bad to begin with. It can happen. Like the links you posted, iOS 9 had its fair share of battery issues. You probably restored from a backup and then something got corrupted. Going from a clean restored version of iOS 9 to a clean restore of iOS 10, the battery life is noticeably worse. That's what I did. I never restore from backups. My battery life is still worse than iOS 9.
I never restore from backup. Only had the 6s for a few months, I'm on T-Mobile Jump On Demand. Brand new battery.

My battery life was very good on iOS 9, but it improved when I updated to iOS 10.

The point of the links was to show that there are threads like this every year, not that iOS 9 had bad battery life.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015

Actually, I had the same thing (turned off at 25%, wouldn't restart without power, but come back at 25% with power, then drained normally). And seen this reported in other places too. Might be a software bug...

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
Just as ***** as ever, I browsed Safari for 10 mins and lost 20% battery life. It sucks because my battery says overall capacity at 92% after a year, so I know it's not crapped out. I can leave my phone on idle and it's not draining at all..... just the battery life sucks.

However it is only a 1700mah battery so it was never going to be good, it just meant I couldn't play Pokemon Go when that was a thing lol.

JemTheWire

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)

Uh, OK.

That is exactly the symptoms I am getting.

Switched the 6s off last night when I went to bed, battery was at 33%. Turned it on this morning, battery was at 29% then it switched itself off! Go figure. When I tried to turn it back on it just showed the usual connect to charger image!

Connected the charger and it switched on but the battery level was at 27%, and charging.

Something is weird here. I have flashed back to 10.0.1 to see if the power off issue remains. So far its been OK, but the battery is draining much faster than 9.3.5.

Not impressed at all.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
That is exactly the symptoms I am getting.

Switched the 6s off last night when I went to bed, battery was at 33%. Turned it on this morning, battery was at 29% then it switched itself off! Go figure. When I tried to turn it back on it just showed the usual connect to charger image!

Connected the charger and it switched on but the battery level was at 27%, and charging.

Something is weird here. I have flashed back to 10.0.1 to see if the power off issue remains. So far its been OK, but the battery is draining much faster than 9.3.5.

Not impressed at all.

Classic symptoms of a bad battery. Get it replaced.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Classic symptoms of a bad battery. Get it replaced.

Actually that's classic symptoms of iOS not reading the charge correctly. My 6s Plus used to do something similar occasionally under iOS 9.2. Stopped doing it in iOS 9.3.

That's why I think these battery test apps are useless as they rely on iOS to report the battery stats. If there is a bug in iOS, then the reported stats will be wrong.

Reactions: addamas and got556

JemTheWire

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
I agree. My brothers iPhone 6 and nephew's iPhone 6+ are all exhibiting the same symptoms We can't all be experiencing battery failure at the same time.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Actually that's classic symptoms of iOS not reading the charge correctly. My 6s Plus used to do something similar occasionally under iOS 9.2. Stopped doing it in iOS 9.3.

That's why I think these battery test apps are useless as they rely on iOS to report the battery stats. If there is a bug in iOS, then the reported stats will be wrong.

If you're correct, the battery should magically "fix itself" if the user goes back to iOS 9. We all know that it doesn't work that way. The phone is reading the battery stats off the chip inside the battery. It's not the OS, however, I think the OS can mess up the battery. Like overcharging it or something. I don't know. No other way to explain the battery losing capacity after updating to iOS 9.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
If you're correct, the battery should magically "fix itself" if the user goes back to iOS 9. We all know that it doesn't work that way. The phone is reading the battery stats off the chip inside the battery. It's not the OS, however, I think the OS can mess up the battery. Like overcharging it or something. I don't know. No other way to explain the battery losing capacity after updating to iOS 9.

The OS definitely controls what is displayed in the status bar, so if the OS thinks the battery is at a 25% charge, that's what it will display even if the battery is at 2%.

That's one of the reasons calibrating the battery tends to fix battery issues. Going back to iOS 9 requires calibrating the battery, especially if it doesn't hold a full charge which I would expect to be the case for any 6 or earlier phone.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
im not impressed with the battery life on my iPhone 7 Plus at all, if i just text with the iPhone and basically don't run too many apps then the battery is fine but if i use facebook and use apps then it starts draining rather quickly and its not much better than my old iPhone 6s, i thought the plus had a much better battery and it just doesn't seem that way but then again, the people that report extraordinary battery life must not use the iPhone for any intensive cpu purposes it would see,

i did a restore from backup the day i got my iPhone 7 plus and reset all settings though the settings app right at the beginning so the possibly of a corrupted backup infecting the iphone 7 plus is unlikely.

Sort of defeats the point of owning a smartphone if the device is only used for checking email and texting and browsing safari, because, in that case the battery life is certainly great. It's when i start using apps, playing a game that i see the battery starting to drain in a really annoying way,

As far as standby is concerned, the iPhone retains the battery life overnight and i have only seen either a 2 or 3 percent decrease overnight so thats good,

i have a question, have any of you tried these Battery life saving apps on the app store? such as this one for example : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-doctor-master-battery/id446751279?mt=8
I am getting great battery life on 7+ , 6s plus was draining like hell but ios 10.1 and calibration fixed it, restored from my old backup, doesn't matter what i do, just can't kill the battery on this.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.PNG
    IMG_0772.PNG
    541.1 KB · Views: 164
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.