Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
My battery life has been HORRENDOUS lately! I woke up around 6 and by 10am my battery was at 38% or so! I have no idea what is going on but it is getting worse. I am on 10.1 iOS and here is a screen shot:

Any idea what is going on? Phone is warm as well just using it for simple things, no video or anything.

Phone: iPhone 7 + 128GB
Network: T-Mobile

Attachments

• IMG_0140.PNG
    IMG_0140.PNG
    603.2 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: dianp

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
after months of dealing with my phone battery draining rapidly, reporting incorrectly, and shutting off randomly, i used Decipher Tools this morning to clean my backup and restore with just my "must haves" (apple watch, health data, text messages, photos, voice mails) ... so far so good but its going to take a day of usage to know if the problem is cleared up. i'll report back.

if it doesn't work i suppose i'll pare back even more. i had a LOT of apps before so hopefully that was the issue

Reactions: Potus325 and dianp

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
My 7 plus KILLED it on it's first cycle. Would've taken a screenshot but the springboard crashed this morning causing the battery stats to reset. I was at like 6 hours usage and 15 hours standby at 50% battery.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I'm stumped. I've used iPhone 3GS, 4S, 5, 5S and now 6S. I've always charged overnight so fully charged at 7.00am and that has pretty much lasted me till midnight. If my usage is higher I would top up charge but usually it would last me a full day. The 6S was the same and a big improvement in the 5S. With each model I've been able to use more & more features and the battery would still last all day. Since the iOS 10 update my iPhone 6S battery is pretty much flat by 8-9 pm. It's really noticeable at work. Prior to iOS 10 my battery would be 80%+ at lunch time, now I'm lucky if I have 65%. Nothing appears to be draining it in the usage list. Going to take it in to Apple for diagnostics....

Worked on mobiles and know all the battery saving tips, my usage & behaviour has not changed. Will keep an eye on it & post if I find anything out

(I've turned off raise to wake, which made no difference and "Home screen" didn't score in battery usage anyway. Background Refresh has always been off. I wonder if is the widgets, but they're just not reported / included in the battery usage calculation. I've taken off all the widgets, let's see if that makes a difference)

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm stumped. I've used iPhone 3GS, 4S, 5, 5S and now 6S. I've always charged overnight so fully charged at 7.00am and that has pretty much lasted me till midnight. If my usage is higher I would top up charge but usually it would last me a full day. The 6S was the same and a big improvement in the 5S. With each model I've been able to use more & more features and the battery would still last all day. Since the iOS 10 update my iPhone 6S battery is pretty much flat by 8-9 pm. It's really noticeable at work. Prior to iOS 10 my battery would be 80%+ at lunch time, now I'm lucky if I have 65%. Nothing appears to be draining it in the usage list. Going to take it in to Apple for diagnostics....

Worked on mobiles and know all the battery saving tips, my usage & behaviour has not changed. Will keep an eye on it & post if I find anything out
How long ago have you installed it? Did you update to it or it was a new install? Have you tried anything like resetting all settings or a fresh install?

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
iPhone 5c since launch day on iOS 10.0.2
4a6b0052031d4b781514e5fe99149308.png

OTA update and everything is on. Usage mostly Instagram, mail, web surfing.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
How long ago have you installed it? Did you update to it or it was a new install? Have you tried anything like resetting all settings or a fresh install?
I did a clean install after removing the Beta profile. Now on 10.0.2. Might see how a get on without the widgets, then reset settings. Thanks)
[doublepost=1475603417][/doublepost]
I said I'm not discounting your experience and I didn't say that you have those apps in your phone, as it's pretty clear you don't based on your previous post.

What I am saying is that every situation is different for battery life and every year we see the same threads (most of which comes from people that update their software, rather than setting up as new).

My 6s gets better battery life on iOS 10 and your phone gets reduced battery life. Everyone's experience is different, whether you like to hear it or not.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/air-2-battery-life-8-4-1-vs-9-3-x.1971745/#post-22880809

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/6-plus-battery-drain-under-ios-9.1920513/#post-21941481

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-9-0-gm-battery.1915123/

It's a weird experience for me. This is the first update where battery has affected my iPhone or, at least where there hasn't been an identifiable cause. Any ideas you have should be appreciated
[doublepost=1475603548][/doublepost]
If a phone with AppleCare was brought to the Apple Store for a battery check, what would likely happen? Get new battery or new phone? I read iOS 10 disables some battery health app functions. Is there a way to run my own diagnostic that would be similar to what they would do at an Apple Store?
Good idea. I'm getting nowhere on my own....

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
When I was under AC my 6s was shutting off randomly in 30 degree temps. Diagnostics didn't show any issues but they gave me a new phone.

Potus325

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
I've been reading on the 6S for the past hour and had the phone set to Airplane Mode. The battery stats were at 36% only dropping to 32% during that hour. I have just turned off Airplane Mode now and the battery stats have dropped to 27% before my eyes as I type this. So I figure it has to be a cellular problem within iOS 10 itself as opposed to either an actual battery problem or a battery reading problem. It's definitely connected to cellular activity for me anyway. My battery signal is consistently between 4 and 5 dots of signal strength so that's a good signal I think. Will test this a bit more over the next day or two and see if the battery drops significantly once airplane mode is disabled.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well my battery life is very good - still odd that since upgrading to ios 10 my indicator gets stuck and dies at 4%

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
iOS10 has ruined my iPhone 6!

I had fantastic battery life until I installed iOS10, even installed 10.1 Beta in the hope it would resolve but nope! Every morning I wake to a dead iPhone 6!! Thanks Apple

Restore your phone and set it up as new. That should fix it.

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
So I'm pretty sure decipher tools has fixed my phone problems! It's holding a charge so much better. I didn't even charge it all night and didn't wake up to a dead phone. It only lost a few percent. I usually lose 60% overnight.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
So I'm pretty sure decipher tools has fixed my phone problems! It's holding a charge so much better. I didn't even charge it all night and didn't wake up to a dead phone. It only lost a few percent. I usually lose 60% overnight.
This one?

https://deciphertools.com/

Never heard of them actually. I tend to be wary of these type of third party tools especially for mobile. Maybe I'm wrong.

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil

what did you do with this program?
what program did you use?
please explain us!

dobrewski_77

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Plovdiv,Bulgaria
I see a little bit difference these days. About 20-25 minutes of usage and 30 minutes standby and I'm still on 100%.
I don't know what to thing but it's a software issue for sure. The good thing is that the drain over the nights is finally over or it is pretty little (4-5% not 15-20% as before). For my heavy use - all day in the university,Facebook & FB Messenger,Snapchat,Instagram and etc I think that 1 fully day is pretty good. Also my carrier provides not that good quality (3-4 bar max) and the heavy usage of LTE proves that. So stay cool,use your phone as normal thing,not standby 80 hours and something like that. It's a damn tech it's normal.

Have a good night everyone and cheers from Bulgaria.

/ iPhone 6 running 10.0.2

Last edited:

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Do tell us more, please. Any affiliation with the software?

Reactions: dalericg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
My 7 plus KILLED it on it's first cycle. Would've taken a screenshot but the springboard crashed this morning causing the battery stats to reset. I was at like 6 hours usage and 15 hours standby at 50% battery.
Can you on post details about what settings you have on/off under location services etc
[doublepost=1475711262][/doublepost]
What's decipher tools?

Reactions: addamas and imex99

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
both my ipad 12.9 and iphone 6s are now experiencing pretty bad battery drain (not terrible but pretty noticeable now). Initially after installing 10.0.2 when it was available, things seemed fine. now in the last couple of days:

on the ipad -- i used to be able to browse with chrome/safari for a good hour so before i see a percentage drop in battery. now after 8-10 minutes of browsing, it drops a percent. that's a significant difference. no problems with overnight draining though; no drop in battery percentage after 5 hours of sleep. which leads me to the iphone...

on the iphone -- this 6S is about a year old. i usually don't have a problem with overnight battery drain (1-2% maybe?). but in the last couple of days i've lost 7-9% overnight (5 hours of sleep). then lost another 6% on the drive to work, which was about 30 minutes (bluetooth was on as it usually is but i made sure not to use it i.e. didn't switch to pandora.

my usage habits had not changed so something is up o_O

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
So many people having horrible battery life on iOS 10.0.2 must mean there is some cortical bug in the software hope Apple releases a new version soon, I'm having mediocre battery performance as well

Reactions: Nisaja
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.