Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
If you say calibration, what exactly do you mean?

Basically what i think battery percentage in iOS 10 is wrong and people can test by letting the phone drain to 0 and see how long it last to drain last 10%, calibrate battery is by draining the battery to 0 and charge to 100 without interruption.

Reactions: dianp

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
This doesn't do a thing for me, been doing that with Geekbench battery implicitly anyway...

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
This doesn't do a thing for me, been doing that with Geekbench battery implicitly anyway...
Not the same. GB battery test is crap. Even Apple said so. Let the device drain on its own normally not some CPU pegging app killing the battery abnormally. Normal discharge and charge is the proper way to manage and/or calibrate a battery.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
I don't see why GB battery test should be crap. It does something very specific, and it does that very well. Apple didn't like the GB because it alerted people to the different chips in 6s phones, so obviously they try to discredit it.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
iphone 7 plus on vzw. battery life has gotten better after removing all devices from my icloud account and relogging back in.

used the phone a LOT. online streaming and safari use.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.PNG
    IMG_0038.PNG
    587.4 KB · Views: 237

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
The OS definitely controls what is displayed in the status bar, so if the OS thinks the battery is at a 25% charge, that's what it will display even if the battery is at 2%.

That's one of the reasons calibrating the battery tends to fix battery issues. Going back to iOS 9 requires calibrating the battery, especially if it doesn't hold a full charge which I would expect to be the case for any 6 or earlier phone.

You can calibrate the battery % gauge, but not the actual battery itself. You can't gain back the lost mAh.

mrboba1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Raleigh, NC
The problem may be related to the "raise to wake" function of the phone. A couple of users have turned that feature off and it returned their battery life back to what they had seen before.

I have yet to try it myself, but some of you who have seen the problems may want to test that out as well.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I don't see why GB battery test should be crap. It does something very specific, and it does that very well. Apple didn't like the GB because it alerted people to the different chips in 6s phones, so obviously they try to discredit it.
Its simple GB3 didn't support ios 10, and GB4 doesn't have a battery test feature.
[doublepost=1475509290][/doublepost]
The problem may be related to the "raise to wake" function of the phone. A couple of users have turned that feature off and it returned their battery life back to what they had seen before.

I have yet to try it myself, but some of you who have seen the problems may want to test that out as well.
I turned it off at the time (before going back to ios9) and didnt do too much. IOs 10 feels more resource intensive, something is doing on the background only Apple knows what.

Last edited:

Madmarshall88

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2016
It took almost two weeks for my iPhone 6s (OTA update from iOS 9) to return to a normal battery life. I am not sure what changed. Over the past two weeks I have tried almost everything to get normal battery life again but nothing seems to have worked. I have reverted back to using it as normal and having luxuries like location services etc turned on. Battery life is averaging about 7-8 hours on a charge (although it never gets to that). Perhaps the best remedy for peoples problems here might be waiting it out (not ideal I know!).

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
It took almost two weeks for my iPhone 6s (OTA update from iOS 9) to return to a normal battery life. I am not sure what changed. Over the past two weeks I have tried almost everything to get normal battery life again but nothing seems to have worked. I have reverted back to using it as normal and having luxuries like location services etc turned on. Battery life is averaging about 7-8 hours on a charge (although it never gets to that). Perhaps the best remedy for peoples problems here might be waiting it out (not ideal I know!).

So you have all system services enabled under location services ? do you have handoff enabled?

do you think it's possible that battery life is actually better with all these location services enabled (in the system serviced menu such as wifi networking, cell network search etc) rather than disabled? It May be a far-fetched Theory of mine but is it actually possible that battery life is improved once These hidden location services are enabled ?

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
My battery life is better than ever since I've upgraded to iOS 10.

iPhone 6S+, phone calls, two email accounts, texting, maps, hotspot, words with friends, some web surfing, just normal usage.

IMG_0758.PNG

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

iPhone 6S+, phone calls, two email accounts, texting, maps, hotspot, words with friends, some web surfing, just normal usage.

View attachment 662518
Can you specify all the options in settings you have enabled as well as which ones you have disabled ?

Madmarshall88

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2016
Can you specify all the options in settings you have enabled as well as which ones you have disabled ?
Almost everything is as it is as if you are setting your phone up as new. Location services are all on, including hidden location services. Background app referesh is on for all apps pretty much. Push notifications are set depending on the app for example I don't like facebook pushing notifications, however most are on. I have 2 mail accounts linked to the iPhone mail app but they are on manual fetch new data meaning I have to access the mail app to get mail updates. I prefer it this way. For location services per app I pick and choose, for example it is always on for weather updates but never for safari because I don't see the point. Most apps it is on only when using this app option. I am finding that Siri is using large amounts of battery despite never using it but not enough to make a noticeable difference. Charging wise I tend to charge my phone overnight when I go to bed, my phone tends to be between 50-70% battery at the end of the day.

At the moment I'm on 75% battery with 1hr 30 usage and 13hours 5 minutes stand by. I could get about 8/9 hours battery with battery saving on at 20%.

Hope this helps in some way.

Reactions: monnyblack1

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012

Auto brightness - on, a little over half. I disabled AT&T WiFi calling, it seemed to enable with good signal and then I get a call it reverts back and the caller drops, so for now it is disabled, I will enabled it if I am in a situation where I specifically need it. Cell network search - on, compass calibration - on, emergency SOS - on, find my iPhone - on, home kit - off, location based alerts - off, location based Apple ads - off, location based suggestions - off, motion calibration & distance - on, setting time zone - on, share my location - on, WiFi networking - off, frequent locations - off, diagnostics and usage - off, popular near me - off, routing and traffic - on and reduce motion is on.

I leave WiFi on all the time, even when I am not on WiFi and I only use one widget, the Weather Channel App and I only allow my apps to use GPS when I am using them and get several news alerts throughout the day, pretty normal stuff. I do have the TSMC chip if that matters. Now I am down to 1%, I will be charging it any minute now.
IMG_0765.png

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil

I did it and it did not work!
the battery problem continues...

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Well think about it. Do you think running the CPU full out from full battery to totally dead is a "normal" way that iPhone would discharge? Probably would even overheat the CPU and cause damage over time not to mention probably bad for the battery. If the goal is to calibrate the battery level with the software reporting the charge, seems a normal discharge cycle would make more since and yield more reliable results verses a full on kill cycle.

monnyblack1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2016
meridian ms
Auto brightness - on, a little over half. I disabled AT&T WiFi calling, it seemed to enable with good signal and then I get a call it reverts back and the caller drops, so for now it is disabled, I will enabled it if I am in a situation where I specifically need it. Cell network search - on, compass calibration - on, emergency SOS - on, find my iPhone - on, home kit - off, location based alerts - off, location based Apple ads - off, location based suggestions - off, motion calibration & distance - on, setting time zone - on, share my location - on, WiFi networking - off, frequent locations - off, diagnostics and usage - off, popular near me - off, routing and traffic - on and reduce motion is on.

I leave WiFi on all the time, even when I am not on WiFi and I only use one widget, the Weather Channel App and I only allow my apps to use GPS when I am using them and get several news alerts throughout the day, pretty normal stuff. I do have the TSMC chip if that matters. Now I am down to 1%, I will be charging it any minute now.
View attachment 662546
Hey do you keep automatic updates on??? And also automatic downloads???

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I just realized the only thing i used iCloud for was honestly the Contacts sync and i dont even really need that so i entirely signed out of iCloud on my iPhone, do you guys think that will affect my iPhone's battery life positively?

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016

View attachment 662518

That's phenomenal battery life! What have you been doing on it? Listening to music? Do you have cellular data turned on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.