Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So many people having horrible battery life on iOS 10.0.2 must mean there is some cortical bug in the software hope Apple releases a new version soon, I'm having mediocre battery performance as well
To be fair, it seems that so many people aren't really having horrible battery life, just a relatively small group are (which isn't too unusual with most updates, and especially early ones in a lifecycle of a major new version).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
So you read the article that quick?

I did. Only the first part of it actually pertains to battery life and even then, it's mostly garbage. Turning of Background App Refresh is not a "solution" to anything but gimping your phone.

Reactions: dianp

Potus325

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
Ok well then you're a quick reader because you replied 1 minute after I posted the link. Anyway while it might not mean anything for you, I have always found this site pretty good and I for one have had the same issues they have had since the full release.

Potus325

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
It wasn't the solution bit I was looking for it's the bit about something happening between the final beta and the full release. My battery has dropped 7% just typing here these past 10 minutes or so. This never happened before. That's all I'm saying.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

I would like to disagree, apple must optimize ios 10 for the new iPhone 7 and 7 plus, it clearly needs optimization and some polish which will hopefully come in the next ios 10 update, i didn't have any issue on my 6S but as soon as i got my iphone 7 plus the battery has left me desiring for more for sure and i have been having resprings every now and then as well, the camera has some bugs as well and apple needs to release a new software update to squash these bugs indeed.

Last edited:

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Why don't you guys try a restore and then set it up as a new phone? If that doesn't fix it, then there's something wrong with the battery itself.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Why don't you guys try a restore and then set it up as a new phone? If that doesn't fix it, then there's something wrong with the battery itself.

many people have the issue even when set up as new, thats not really the issue here, im pretty sure its the optimization of ios 10 for the iphone 7 that needs some serious polishing and bug fixing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would like to disagree, apple must optimize ios 10 for the new iPhone 7 and 7 plus, it clearly needs optimization and some polish which will hopefully come in the next ios 10 update, i didn't have any issue on my 6S but as soon as i got my iphone 7 plus the battery has left me desiring for more for sure and i have been having resprings every now and then as well, the camera has some bugs as well and apple needs to release a new software update to squash these bugs indeed.
Disagree that some people have battery (or other) issues with various updates (especially major new versions)?

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
If setting it up as a new iPhone doesn't fix it, you need to check your battery using coconut battery. If the battery is bad, get it replaced while still under warranty.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I have great battery life on my 6 with 10.0.2, should I write an article about it and post tons of threads in all Mac related forums?

Please post up a pic of your battery usage. Are you playing a lotta music? Coz then it's pointless.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Please post up a pic of your battery usage. Are you playing a lotta music? Coz then it's pointless.

I don't have any screenshot because I recharged my battery since. I've reached 8 hours of usage with 30 hours of standby. Usage included mainly light gaming (Football manager), safari browsing, tweetbot, youtube videos and music, but music was played at the same time than gaming so the screen was on and the CPU used. The phone is 18 months old (March 2015).

I will post a screenshot next time I reach 1%, but I am sure I am not the only one happy with battery life on a 6.

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
I did. Only the first part of it actually pertains to battery life and even then, it's mostly garbage. Turning of Background App Refresh is not a "solution" to anything but gimping your phone.

I also did ALL the tips and nothing happened.
I've done clean install.
I've done installation without back-up and no applications.
The problem continues!
Even in the economy mode the battery drained quickly!!

Two weeks ago I sent my iPhone for Apple technical assistance and they reported 'no problems' on my iPhone 6S.

I just think that this problem should be the 'battery firmware'.

The apple is ignoring the problem!
On twitter search for "iOS 10 battery" and you will see that many people are with this problem.

Reactions: Potus325

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
True. I've done the same search on twitter. It's far more common than what some members here think.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I also did ALL the tips and nothing happened.
I've done clean install.
I've done installation without back-up and no applications.
The problem continues!
Even in the economy mode the battery drained quickly!!

Two weeks ago I sent my iPhone for Apple technical assistance and they reported 'no problems' on my iPhone 6S.

I just think that this problem should be the 'battery firmware'.

The apple is ignoring the problem!
On twitter search for "iOS 10 battery" and you will see that many people are with this problem.

they are not ignoring the problem, this happens with every new release every year when a new iphone is released, the software is not 100% optimized and polished for the new iPhone (in this case, the iphone 7 and 7 plus) , they eventually polish and squash most of the bugs that cause the battery drain within the system in the first major update (this case it will be iOs 10.1) so we have some waiting to do till we get that update but hopefully it wont take them too long to release it

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
they are not ignoring the problem, this happens with every new release every year when a new iphone is released, the software is not 100% optimized and polished for the new iPhone (in this case, the iphone 7 and 7 plus) , they eventually polish and squash most of the bugs that cause the battery drain within the system in the first major update (this case it will be iOs 10.1) so we have some waiting to do till we get that update but hopefully it wont take them too long to release it

I agree with you that the iOS 10 is optimized for the iPhone 7, but we cannot forget that the TESTS were done with the old iPhones (6S, 6, 5S and 5C) and they had a LOT of time to do it (were many beta versions).

I said that they are ignoring the problem because they are simply giving 'tips' to save battery on iOS (like turn off the notifications, background refresh, updates, effects, etc) It is ridiculous!!

They should at least inform the users that an update will come to fix this problem. But they are not talking about it. (I talked to them on Twitter more than 10 times and I do not have obtained this answer).

My iPhone 6S for example, is new! (only 5 months of use).

And no, the update (beta) 10.1 is NOT solving the problem, not yet!

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I agree with you that the iOS 10 is optimized for the iPhone 7, but we cannot forget that the TESTS were done with the old iPhones (6S, 6, 5S and 5C) and they had a LOT of time to do it (were many beta versions).

I said that they are ignoring the problem because they are simply giving 'tips' to save battery on iOS (like turn off the notifications, background refresh, updates, effects, etc) It is ridiculous!!

They should at least inform the users that an update will come to fix this problem. But they are not talking about it. (I talked to them on Twitter more than 10 times and I do not have obtained this answer).

My iPhone 6S for example, is new! (only 5 months of use).

And no, the update (beta) 10.1 is NOT solving the problem, not yet!

Agreed, they certainly have been doing alot of beta testing before ios 10 came out especially with all the thousands of people that used the public betas before the final version of ios 10 came out.

Regarding the beta, Well the iOS 10.1 beta is not going to fix the battery and is not supposed to fix the issue, which is optimization and polish to the overall system. Beta versions are anything but polished and optimized, the final version of ios 10.1 that will be released to the public is going to be the one that will be polished and optimized and i'm pretty sure is going to be much more stable than the current public ios 10 version.

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
Agreed, they certainly have been doing alot of beta testing before ios 10 came out especially with all the thousands of people that used the public betas before the final version of ios 10 came out.

Regarding the beta, Well the iOS 10.1 beta is not going to fix the battery and is not supposed to fix the issue, which is optimization and polish to the overall system. Beta versions are anything but polished and optimized, the final version of ios 10.1 that will be released to the public is going to be the one that will be polished and optimized and i'm pretty sure is going to be much more stable than the current public ios 10 version.

I hope so!
But I think it strange because before the final version of iOS 10 this problem did not exist!
When released the GM version, the problem began.
And many people have the same opinion (just check on twitter and here on this forum).

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
WOW long thread. When I updated to iOS 10 on my 6s+ it showed that my battery capacity was 82% when before iOS 10 it was 99.X% (coconutBattery). This made me worried especially because the phone dropped like a brick to 60% with almost no usage when it would always retain every percentage (sitting on my desk).

So, ran the battery down to 0% till the phone shut off - but noticed how it spent 3-4 hours from 6% to 3% and upon a full charge, battery health is at 99.7% and phone battery operates as it should.

I've had two other family members with the same problem. Running down to 0% seems to have helped them both as well.

I definitely get better battery on iOS 10 than I did on iOS 9 (6s+).

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I hope so!
But I think it strange because before the final version of iOS 10 this problem did not exist!
When released the GM version, the problem began.
And many people have the same opinion (just check on twitter and here on this forum).

That's not strange. Many features, iMessage apps for example, were not ready during the Beta period. Additionally, apps with iOS 10 optimized features were not available on the app store until days before public release. There are many factors here.

That said, my 7+ went on the charger at 11PM last night after having been off since 6:45AM, still had 54% battery left with 6 hours usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.