Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
LTE gets better battery life than 4G/3G when the signal is strong, but a weak LTE signal will drain the battery much faster than a weak 4G/3G signal.

LTE is what is known as 4G in many parts of the world. Where it gets complicated is where certain carriers in the US for example named the faster 3G hsdpa+ As 4G when in fact 3.5G would have been a more apt description. So now the real faster '4G' (LTE) platform is named as LTE by those carriers rather than 4G.

In the UK what is known as 4G is the LTE platform.

Cheers

Reactions: oMc and dianp

grgsiocl

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2015
36987e87e1025a2ffeb92002e7d42ee9.png

iOS .1 beta 2 on iPhone 7 128 GB

Reactions: dianp

Potus325

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
I think at this stage it's a fair guess that it's a software issue and not a hardware issue. Too many people have restored as new and it hasn't fixed their battery problem. So I guess we're stuck waiting for Apple to release an update that will hopefully fix this. It seems to me that iOS 10 was released before fully baked because I'm still having glitches, freezes and random restarts for no apparent reason. I'm considering exiting the Apple train at this stage.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I'm convinced it's some kind of corrupt iOS install causing the standby battery drain on ISO 10.0.2

I have 2 iPhone 7's here at the moment, both set up similar with background app refresh off etc and similar screen brightness set etc etc.
When actually using the phones both batteries drop roughly at the same rate (so no difference there), however .. if I leave both handsets alone for 8 hours on standby and don't touch them the one loses around 15% battery and the other loses just 4% in the same time on standby. Both are running iOS 10.0.2, the only difference is the one with the standby drain issue was updated from 10.0.1 OTA to 10.0.2 and the other phone that doesn't drain was set up as fresh install via iTunes on a pc.

I think something is corrupt or gone wrong with the iOS install on the handsets with standby battery drain issues.

Cheers

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I'm convinced it's some kind of corrupt iOS install causing the standby battery drain on ISO 10.0.2

I have 2 iPhone 7's here at the moment, both set up similar with background app refresh off etc and similar screen brightness set etc etc.
When actually using the phones both batteries drop roughly at the same rate (so no difference there), however .. if I leave both handsets alone for 8 hours on standby and don't touch them the one loses around 15% battery and the other loses just 4% in the same time on standby. Both are running iOS 10.0.2, the only difference is the one with the standby drain issue was updated from 10.0.1 OTA to 10.0.2 and the other phone that doesn't drain was set up as fresh install via iTunes on a pc.

I think something is corrupt or gone wrong with the iOS install on the handsets with standby battery drain issues.

Cheers

im still optimistic apple is working to fix this issue in the next ios update

Elefanta

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta
it cant be better, its not opitmized, its a beta. we will only know once the final public release drops.
Hi, thanks for the info. I was hoping the beta would offer some insight, but at least now I'll prepare to wait. Watched battery on a 7 128mb drop 5 percentage points in as many minutes with no apps running and low power mode on. My 6s plus was also burning through the battery once I updated to 10.0.2, just not as dramatically.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009

Cheers

Did you enable "always" for location for any apps?

I recently installed the Storm app on my 7 Plus and allowed it access to my location "always" and that seems to have increased standby battery drain. It's still not bad as I was at 75% after 3 hours of mainly music usage and 16 hours of Standby.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Amazing battery, 7+ iOS 10.1 beta 2
[doublepost=1476050628][/doublepost]Anyone have worse battery life, i would recommend privacy- contacts off for watsapp, it drains battery like hell!

Attachments

• IMG_0928.PNG
    IMG_0928.PNG
    557.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0929.PNG
    IMG_0929.PNG
    576.7 KB · Views: 225

BudC

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
California
I know it has only been 24 hours but I am finding ios 10 on my 6s to have noticeably worse battery life. Anyone else noticing this?

Yes, I've noticed an increased battery drain on my iPhone 6S, but more so on my iPad Air !!. I've combed through the settings and changed notifications, and location services to no avail.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
just quoting myself above for comparison (the above was behavior i was seeing yesterday morning and the night before that).

i've continued digging through settings and think i may have got something that worked*. in settings --> calendar, there's a few more settings that may be doing stuff in the background that may not register in battery use or location services but could possibly be doing something in theory:

Settings --> Calendar
-Default Alert Times - disabled "Time to leave" (reading it's description says it may involve location so i killed it)
-Location Suggestions - disabled it
-Events found in Apps - disabled it

Battery percentage was at 75% before the settings change. I've had it like that for about 2.5/3 hours now. in that time i've used safari a little bit (including some testing with voiceover), instagram (viewing feed, including videos), appshopper, and took a few pics. battery percentage is still 75%!

*at least on my iphone 6S. i'll check my ipad tonight and report back. if you try it, please give feedback if it works for you.
[doublepost=1475859519][/doublepost]Quick follow-up to my post above...

In the last few minutes i was trying to diagnose the issue in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-10-defaulting-to-mobile-site.2004281/

it involved safari serving up youtube mobile vs desktop versions (so i was viewing both). and within 3-4 minutes, my battery percentage dropped 5% (75% to 70%). i was literally watching it drop -- when it went from 75 to 74, i was whatever, but then almost right away it dropped to 73 and i'm, like, WTF? I clicked around youtube site some more while watching the percentage and steadily went down 72..71..70% in those 3-4 minutes (i kept note of the time after the first drop).

anyone else getting destroyed by youtube site on safari? (may just be the desktop version when after you do "request desktop site", but i was switching back and forth between both mobile and desktop). i actually didn't play any of the videos, just clicked from one page to the next.

I just did this 10 minutes ago. I will let you know if this worked after testing for a few days. Hopefully it does!

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Did you enable "always" for location for any apps?

I recently installed the Storm app on my 7 Plus and allowed it access to my location "always" and that seems to have increased standby battery drain. It's still not bad as I was at 75% after 3 hours of mainly music usage and 16 hours of Standby.

The only app set to always for location is weather, the rest are set to either never or while using, and the only system service set to use location is find my phone.

This standby drain issue doesnt seem to be related to anything like that or background app refresh, and it's strange that when the phone dropped 15% over 8 hours on standby the usage time under battery only went up a few minutes so no clues there either.

I'm convinced this is some iOS fault or something getting corrupted during the update to 10.0.2 in the OS. Hopefully the next update will fix it.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I got excellent battery life today on my 7 Plus with mixed usage. I was originally at 90% battery with 2 hours of light usage, but ended up with nearly 4.5 hours of usage and 14.5 hours of standby, dropping to about 70%.

I have everything turned on (location, hey Siri, etc) and don't disable any features, though I do disable background updates for most, but not all, apps. I even have some apps using my location all the time.

4b2fd189a5ceca8c242bcdb72f6fdfd6.png

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Regarding usage you have to distinguish between screen usage and off-screen usage. For instance, if you were to listen music for 2 hours, your usage would be 2 hours more but would have a relatively low impact on the battery life while 2 hours of media consumption or browsing using Safari would be way more intensive.

Last edited:

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I've been bouncing between iOS 10.1 and 10.0.2 to see if it makes a difference but haven't seen a change on my iPhone 7. Going to bring it to Apple later this week to see if they can do a swap and maybe help fix it. Otherwise, I guess it is just the software.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010

Cheers

This has been the inconvenient truth for basically ever. There is no magic fix for every individual's battery issue, and it's almost always fixed with a DFU restore. iOS10 is fine, anyone having issues almost always has a problem with their installation.

Sure. There are times that runway processes can be fixed by Apple, but if 99.99% of customers have no issue, then the software is fine.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Ok, so it seem that disabling "time to leave" plus keeping only turned on: network and find my iPhone in system location services helps get 6h SoT (thanks Apple to have to use Calc for it) and still about 25%.
Web browsing, Tapatalk, YouTube, SMS, few calls...
It's really impressive on SE now.
Recalibrating seems to be also good way to handle it.

I still don't get how Apple could release such update as iOS 10. Still lots of bugs to fix:

* bad translations in Mail app and not handle of long words in Polish
* few times I lost status bar on home screen only
* 3-5 times when I came from lock screen widget of weather app directly to it it was frozen and only way to run it was killing it in last apps... feels like Android
* battery drain by night, still lose like 2-3% (much better than before ) gsm + wifi

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Since I haven't done a clean install since my 4s, I thought maybe there was some leftover crap that was causing my drain. I chose the easier nuclear option (not a complete re-install) and reset all my settings. I have to say it did make a difference on my 6s.

Reactions: Potus325

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Ok, so it seem that disabling "time to leave" plus keeping only turned on: network and find my iPhone in system location services helps get 6h SoT (thanks Apple to have to use Calc for it) and still about 25%.
Web browsing, Tapatalk, YouTube, SMS, few calls...
It's really impressive on SE now.
Recalibrating seems to be also good way to handle it.

I still don't get how Apple could release such update as iOS 10. Still lots of bugs to fix:

* bad translations in Mail app and not handle of long words in Polish
* few times I lost status bar on home screen only
* 3-5 times when I came from lock screen widget of weather app directly to it it was frozen and only way to run it was killing it in last apps... feels like Android
* battery drain by night, still lose like 2-3% (much better than before ) gsm + wifi

Can you be a little bit clearer on what your findings are exactly?
What should be enabled under "Locations services, Cell network search and find my iPhone are the only two settings you have enabled under that hidden system services menu?

What do you mean by "time to leave"?

Reactions: imex99

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can you be a little bit clearer on what your findings are exactly?
What should be enabled under "Locations services, Cell network search and find my iPhone are the only two settings you have enabled under that hidden system services menu?

What do you mean by "time to leave"?
You don't really even need cell network search either. Pretty much none of the items are really needed there aside from some that you might need because you are using them, mainly Find My iPhone for example.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
You don't really even need cell network search either. Pretty much none of the items are really needed there aside from some that you might need because you are using them, mainly Find My iPhone for example.

I am aware of that, i just wanted to see his reasoning behind his post.

I personally dont even have find my iphone enabled as i have icloud disabled on my iphone 7 plus, no need for it.

I have 3 items enabled the Sytem Service menu, First is Compass Calibration(Maps and navigation apps can't use GPS properly with this disabled so its very important to keep compass calibration enabled), Motion distance for proper fitness tracking and Emergency SOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.