Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
WOW long thread. When I updated to iOS 10 on my 6s+ it showed that my battery capacity was 82% when before iOS 10 it was 99.X% (coconutBattery). This made me worried especially because the phone dropped like a brick to 60% with almost no usage when it would always retain every percentage (sitting on my desk).

So, ran the battery down to 0% till the phone shut off - but noticed how it spent 3-4 hours from 6% to 3% and upon a full charge, battery health is at 99.7% and phone battery operates as it should.

I've had two other family members with the same problem. Running down to 0% seems to have helped them both as well.

I definitely get better battery on iOS 10 than I did on iOS 9 (6s+).

That is surprising. My phones battery was also good before iOS 10, but after updating it got noticeably worse. I have tried draining the battery to 0%, but it didn't fix it :(

Reactions: dianp

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
A new battery from Apple?

Yes. In a authorized store in Brazil.

Other detail I just realized now, even though I have turned off ALL location services, the location icon continues working on my iPhone 6S (sometimes it appears and disappears).
It may be a bug in iOS 10.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Yes. In a authorized store in Brazil.

Other detail I just realized now, even though I have turned off ALL location services, the location icon continues working on my iPhone 6S (sometimes it appears and disappears).
It may be a bug in iOS 10.

Check your system services.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
That is surprising. My phones battery was also good before iOS 10, but after updating it got noticeably worse. I have tried draining the battery to 0%, but it didn't fix it :(

Sorry to hear - worked for me and my wife and a relative :(. Hope you find something that fixes it. It would really really bum me out.

apfelfreak32

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
My iPhone 6 dies at about 40% remaining battery on tasks like video shooting, panorama photos editing in built in Photos app or using sky apps which use gyroscope and GPS. This bug persisted since January for my iPhone 6 but it was occasionally at about 20% remaining battery. Now it got worse.

My girlfriends iPhone 6S dies at about 40% while trying to update apps from App Store or today at about 50% while finishing short phone call !!! This never happened on iOS9.

Both batteries are according Apple Support in good condition.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
both my ipad 12.9 and iphone 6s are now experiencing pretty bad battery drain (not terrible but pretty noticeable now). Initially after installing 10.0.2 when it was available, things seemed fine. now in the last couple of days:

on the ipad -- i used to be able to browse with chrome/safari for a good hour so before i see a percentage drop in battery. now after 8-10 minutes of browsing, it drops a percent. that's a significant difference. no problems with overnight draining though; no drop in battery percentage after 5 hours of sleep. which leads me to the iphone...

on the iphone -- this 6S is about a year old. i usually don't have a problem with overnight battery drain (1-2% maybe?). but in the last couple of days i've lost 7-9% overnight (5 hours of sleep). then lost another 6% on the drive to work, which was about 30 minutes (bluetooth was on as it usually is but i made sure not to use it i.e. didn't switch to pandora.

my usage habits had not changed so something is up o_O
just quoting myself above for comparison (the above was behavior i was seeing yesterday morning and the night before that).

i've continued digging through settings and think i may have got something that worked*. in settings --> calendar, there's a few more settings that may be doing stuff in the background that may not register in battery use or location services but could possibly be doing something in theory:

Settings --> Calendar
-Default Alert Times - disabled "Time to leave" (reading it's description says it may involve location so i killed it)
-Location Suggestions - disabled it
-Events found in Apps - disabled it

Battery percentage was at 75% before the settings change. I've had it like that for about 2.5/3 hours now. in that time i've used safari a little bit (including some testing with voiceover), instagram (viewing feed, including videos), appshopper, and took a few pics. battery percentage is still 75%!

*at least on my iphone 6S. i'll check my ipad tonight and report back. if you try it, please give feedback if it works for you.
[doublepost=1475859519][/doublepost]Quick follow-up to my post above...

In the last few minutes i was trying to diagnose the issue in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-10-defaulting-to-mobile-site.2004281/

it involved safari serving up youtube mobile vs desktop versions (so i was viewing both). and within 3-4 minutes, my battery percentage dropped 5% (75% to 70%). i was literally watching it drop -- when it went from 75 to 74, i was whatever, but then almost right away it dropped to 73 and i'm, like, WTF? I clicked around youtube site some more while watching the percentage and steadily went down 72..71..70% in those 3-4 minutes (i kept note of the time after the first drop).

anyone else getting destroyed by youtube site on safari? (may just be the desktop version when after you do "request desktop site", but i was switching back and forth between both mobile and desktop). i actually didn't play any of the videos, just clicked from one page to the next.

Last edited:

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
One thing I've noticed on ios10 is the location services icon appears considerably more frequently than on previous iOS versions on mine.

Something seems to be using it in stealth as well, ..just saw it appear for a minute then go, but when I checked location services none of them are showing purple (meaning recently used) in the app list or system services. So what is using it? Hmm

I think there are more things going on in the background in ios10 possibly causing the standby drain problems

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
One thing I've noticed on ios10 is the location services icon appears considerably more frequently than on previous iOS versions on mine.

Something seems to be using it in stealth as well, ..just saw it appear for a minute then go, but when I checked location services none of them are showing purple (meaning recently used) in the app list or system services. So what is using it? Hmm

I think there are more things going on in the background in ios10 possibly causing the standby drain problems
I was going to suggest that it might be something related to compass calibration, as discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/compass-calibration-using-location-often.2002760/, but perhaps that's not the case if you aren't seeing anything for any system services under location services.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I was going to suggest that it might be something related to compass calibration, as discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/compass-calibration-using-location-often.2002760/, but perhaps that's not the case if you aren't seeing anything for any system services under location services.

Ah yes .. I have noticed it's using that a lot more frequently on ios10, it's showing as grey at the moment on mine (used in the last 24 hours). Still puzzled what's using location services in stealth though.

What are the negative effects of turning it off for compass calibration?

Cheers

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ah yes .. I have noticed it's using that a lot more frequently on ios10, it's showing as grey at the moment on mine (used in the last 24 hours). Still puzzled what's using location services in stealth though.

What are the negative effects of turning it off for compass calibration?

Cheers
Not really it seems. You can probably try it and see if it changes anything for you.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Not really it seems. You can probably try it and see if it changes anything for you.

Yeah just read the thread about it, ..I was a bit concerned about maps but someone reported it doesnt really effect it, so I've turned it off.
It's off for everything in system services now except for find my phone and most apps are set to never, except a few that need it like maps etc which are set to while using,.. the only app set to always is weather (there's no while using option). See how we go with that.

Cheers

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Please post up a pic of your battery usage. Are you playing a lotta music? Coz then it's pointless.

Here you go. iPhone 6 standard model (not a plus), iOS 10.0.2. I didn't used it a lot over 4G/LTE otherwise it would have been more like 6-7 hours of usage. Battery life had been like this since few betas before the GM. It was worse with iOS 9.3.5.

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

Reactions: happyrom

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Here you go. iPhone 6 standard model (not a plus), iOS 10.0.2. I didn't used it a lot over 4G/LTE otherwise it would have been more like 6-7 hours of usage. Battery life had been like this since few betas before the GM. It was worse with iOS 9.3.5.

View attachment 663917

View attachment 663918

You rather mean iphone 6 plus right? The usage seems to me to be too impressive for an iphone 6 :D

Reactions: mrex

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
C'est ouf cette utilisation!!
I am so impressed.. any reason for this amount of great usage?

^^

As I said, almost no 4G/LTE. It's a battery killer unless you have a great signal. Background refresh is also ON only for few apps. All locations services are ON. Usually it's more like 8h, 8h30, I don't know what happened this time, it was impressive.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
^^

As I said, almost no 4G/LTE. It's a battery killer unless you have a great signal. Background refresh is also ON only for few apps. All locations services are ON. Usually it's more like 8h, 8h30, I don't know what happened this time, it was impressive.

So you have LTE disabled? You only use 4G? That makes the battery last much longer?

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
So you have LTE disabled? You only use 4G? That makes the battery last much longer?

We don't have LTE in Europe. Only 4G. But I believe it's similar.

It's well known that cellular network eat the battery faster than wifi, so in general when I use my phone mostly via wifi it last way longer.

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
iOS 10.0.2 seems to be killing my iPhone 7's battery. I've already restored it twice, spoken to AppleCare who says the battery has no wear...

iOS 10.0 and and 10.0.1 ran fine on my 7. Within 3 hours of taking my phone off charge (on 100%) and having WiFi and Cellular disabled, and only BT with my Apple Watch on, my phone will be on 90% (and I haven't touched it in the 3 hours being off charge).

Low Power Mode doesn't help either - it makes it worse.

Really starting to annoy the crap out of me. I believe it's software so hopefully the next iOS 10 update fixes my problems..

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I believe it's software so hopefully the next iOS 10 update fixes my problems..

I agree it's since the update to 10.0.2, it's not a hardware fault.

My iPhone 7 had excellent battery life on 10.0.1 but suffers excessive standby drain on 10.0.2 in comparison.
To be fair my battery is still pretty good when I'm actually using the phone, 1 hour of screen on time probably only drops it 10% on average, the issue with 10.0.2 is it also drops about 2-4% in an hour when I'm not even using it!
I've turned off everything I can think of or read about researching online that won't really affect my experience using the phone but it's still the same. I guess it's just a case of waiting for an update to fix it now.

Reactions: Elefanta and dianp

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I agree it's since the update to 10.0.2, it's not a hardware fault.

My iPhone 7 had excellent battery life on 10.0.1 but suffers excessive standby drain on 10.0.2 in comparison.
To be fair my battery is still pretty good when I'm actually using the phone, 1 hour of screen on time probably only drops it 10% on average, the issue with 10.0.2 is it also drops about 2-4% in an hour when I'm not even using it!
I've turned off everything I can think of or read about researching online that won't really affect my experience using the phone but it's still the same. I guess it's just a case of waiting for an update to fix it now.

Yes! Exact problem with mine, the battery will be okay (for me at least) when in use but when on standby it just drops a ton.

I've decided to give iOS 10.1 PB2 a go and so far the battery seems to be doing better. Will post stats later.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
We don't have LTE in Europe. Only 4G. But I believe it's similar.

It's well known that cellular network eat the battery faster than wifi, so in general when I use my phone mostly via wifi it last way longer.

LTE gets better battery life than 4G/3G when the signal is strong, but a weak LTE signal will drain the battery much faster than a weak 4G/3G signal.

Reactions: oMc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.