Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am aware of that, i just wanted to see his reasoning behind his post.

I personally dont even have find my iphone enabled as i have icloud disabled on my iphone 7 plus, no need for it.

I have 3 items enabled the Sytem Service menu, First is Compass Calibration(Maps and navigation apps can't use GPS properly with this disabled so its very important to keep compass calibration enabled), Motion distance for proper fitness tracking and Emergency SOS.
Interesting, I never have compass calibration enabled and use maps and navigation quite often all without any issues.

Reactions: dianp

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Interesting, I never have compass calibration enabled and use maps and navigation quite often all without any issues.

i have conducted multiple tests and disabling Compass Calibration impacts the accuracy of the iPhone's GPS strongly and it disrupts the pinpointing ability of the iPhone to show you on a map properly for example and it becomes very funky and inaccurate in general.

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Been on iOS 10.1 PB the past few days and seeing no real difference in battery life.... this isn't good.

Then again, as someone said the beta isn't optimised properly yet. It'd be nice if a solution was to be done real soon, because the only other option I can think of is to get a replacement..

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Been on iOS 10.1 PB the past few days and seeing no real difference in battery life.... this isn't good.

Then again, as someone said the beta isn't optimised properly yet. It'd be nice if a solution was to be done real soon, because the only other option I can think of is to get a replacement..

The beta wont do anything to better the battery life no matter what, thats not what betas are for, betas never have good battery life, I'm sure apple is working on a fix for the battery life.

the battery life on my 7 plus has certainly gotten better though over the past 2 weeks so sometimes a few proper charges improve the battery life as well

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Ok chaps, on the apple discussion board this method seems to fix the battery drain issue for some users..

* Be on 10.0.1 or below (downgrade if necessary)

* Reset All Settings AND Reset Network Settings (in Settings-General-Reset)

* Backup in iTunes (If prompted to Download and Update, select "Download" (only) so 10.0.2 ipsw update is available but not installed (do not proceed with update)

* After iOS download completes (mouse-over spinning circle in top-right of iTunes to see download status) re-Connect USB and in iTunes select "Restore iPhone" (As long as the ipsw downloaded, you will be Updated to 10.0.2 during the Restore)..

* Near the end of the Restore & Update process, hopefully you will be prompted to "Install Carrier Update" (This seems to help)

* Probably a good idea to use iPhone for 24-48hrs on 10.02 to observe battery life before changing settings significantly..

Might try this myself if the next OTA update doesn't fix the excessive standby drain on mine

Cheers

Reactions: Potus325

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
The beta wont do anything to better the battery life no matter what, thats not what betas are for, betas never have good battery life, I'm sure apple is working on a fix for the battery life.

the battery life on my 7 plus has certainly gotten better though over the past 2 weeks so sometimes a few proper charges improve the battery life as well

yeah, I think I will downgrade back to iOS 10.0.2 (kept a backup).

Edit: Actually I think I might give iOS 10.0.1 a swing and stay on it until a good firmware is out. Didn't keep a back up but it's probably better to start fresh. I'll only lose my messages - save my photos to the cloud before wiping.

iOS 10.0.1 is still being signed right?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

There are actually people that seemingly have great battery life in various betas that they can't later get with final versions. Some of them even stay on some beta versions they consider to be better for them.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
There are actually people that seemingly have great battery life in various betas that they can't later get with final versions. Some of them even stay on some beta versions they consider to be better for them.

Its certainly "possible" but the general rule is that Apple doesn't optimize beta versions to have proper battery life because they are not ment to be used by public on a daily basis, betas are usually ment to be used on test devices to test the software and report bugs, i was certainly a public beta tester myself for iOS 10 and used iOS 10 for weeks before the final version dropped and the beta had horrendous battery life and was riddled with bugs, but then again that was expected because it was beta software.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

This 100%. My best battery life came with iOS 10 Beta 6, every build after that decreased battery life and 10.0.1 was awful.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its certainly "possible" but the general rule is that Apple doesn't optimize beta versions to have proper battery life because they are not ment to be used by public on a daily basis, betas are usually ment to be used on test devices to test the software and report bugs, i was certainly a public beta tester myself for iOS 10 and used iOS 10 for weeks before the final version dropped and the beta has horrendous battery life and was rirddled with bugs, but then again that was expected because it was beta software.

This 100%. My best battery life came with iOS 10 Beta 6, every build after that decreased battery life and 10.0.1 was awful.
Quite a good demonstration of how things can be different for different people.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Its certainly "possible" but the general rule is that Apple doesn't optimize beta versions to have proper battery life because they are not ment to be used by public on a daily basis, betas are usually ment to be used on test devices to test the software and report bugs, i was certainly a public beta tester myself for iOS 10 and used iOS 10 for weeks before the final version dropped and the beta has horrendous battery life and was rirddled with bugs, but then again that was expected because it was beta software.

My experience was the complete opposite. I had best battery life throughout the betas, and as the builds got later, the battery life decreased.

Reactions: addamas and dianp

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil

I sent my iPhone 6S to the warranty / technical assistance and does not replaced or fixed!

They (Apple) said the iPhone is perfect!

I've done everything and the problem continues: battery dropping 1% every minute!

These tutorials to clean install with and without backup does not work too.

Last edited:

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Can you be a little bit clearer on what your findings are exactly?
What should be enabled under "Locations services, Cell network search and find my iPhone are the only two settings you have enabled under that hidden system services menu?

What do you mean by "time to leave"?

Hello,
Thanks that you asked for it because I found network is never used so can be disabled. Yes these are my only turned on settings in system location services :
* find my iPhone
* compass calibration (it seems to help when you need proper gps signal by doing something ) so I turned it on again.

About "time to leave" someone mentioned that under calendar settings you find out Default alert times (or something like that ) and inside this submenu is a setting called "time to leave ". By default turned on... just a guess but why leave it on if you don't need it?

I am really looking for a description what does every setting in location services do.
What is WiFi networks and how it works and so on. Found only articles about saving battery by disabling some of them. Last places drain battery for sure.

Does every time compass calibration work like on 6s - it's "working" even when screen is turned off ? Each time I had location icon for system settings enabled this icon was in lock screen after I picked up phone.
Widgets I have are: what's next and stock weather widget which should not use gps anymore...

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Hello,
Thanks that you asked for it because I found network is never used so can be disabled. Yes these are my only turned on settings in system location services :
* find my iPhone
* compass calibration (it seems to help when you need proper gps signal by doing something ) so I turned it on again.

About "time to leave" someone mentioned that under calendar settings you find out Default alert times (or something like that ) and inside this submenu is a setting called "time to leave ". By default turned on... just a guess but why leave it on if you don't need it?

I am really looking for a description what does every setting in location services do.
What is WiFi networks and how it works and so on. Found only articles about saving battery by disabling some of them. Last places drain battery for sure.

Does every time compass calibration work like on 6s - it's "working" even when screen is turned off ? Each time I had location icon for system settings enabled this icon was in lock screen after I picked up phone.
Widgets I have are: what's next and stock weather widget which should not use gps anymore...

i cant seem to find where that "time to leave" settings is because i would like to turn it off as i wont be using that and i dont need it to use battery in the background.

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
Hello,
* find my iPhone

Even turning off the location services, the location icon still appears.
It is happening with my iPhone 6S on iOS 10 whenever I unlock the screen.
I turned off all the location services!

imex99

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Ohio
0632c840e00274a6522f1a8d1a7ed29b.png

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016

This sounds really weird. For sure none of my apps use location services in background, SE is a small factor 6S so it seems that compass calibration "bug" is inherited. It was something about working all the time motion coprocessor to fix bad readings of compass.

Last edited:

imex99

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Ohio

Did u turn this check mark off?
c720e31a71dba973c6e0f78b25e41117.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.