Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is first discharging after downgrade SE to 9.3.5 so it's indexing, getting cache and so on... But in my opinion it's working better than 10.0.2 :
*no problems with battery drain (only 2% by night )
*back to old messages without childish view
*slide to unlock will help in winter and unlocking by fingerprint are faster than on newest one
*battery last longer and there are no dropping % I had last days (had full discharge and only 87 cycles )
*wifi speeds are better (120 vs 150 on 9.3.5 )
*mail app is working as it should - no translation glitches...
*in reduce motion it's faster

Overall 9.3.5 looks like old business iPhone not entertainment device we have on iOS 10.
Glad to downgrade and have fun being beta tester on GM ones :)
iPhone was set as new - glitched iCloud 2- stage login did not sent me codes and had it blocked for like half hour when switched SIM card with old device - had no messages and was unable to make a call...
Reminds me of the comparisons being made between iOS 6 and iOS 7 shortly after iOS 7 came out.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I know it may be something similar. I am sure that they introduced iOS 10 so fast and there is lots of things to do.
And what is obvious they will do everything to show iPhone 7 the best of all iPhones.

Reactions: dianp

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Quoting myself again in case anyone is following my little journey...

I think i fixed my overnight battery drain on the iphone 6s. Turns out, when going through settings to try to kill some things one by one, i completely forgot to check on Siri. I'm a "Hey Siri" user (not often but i have it on) and just completely slipped my mind to kill that when trying to diagnose this overnight battery drain issue.

well, last night i finally remembered and disabled "Hey Siri" and happy to report, though cautiously optimistic, that i had zero overnight battery drain after 6 hours (48% at 11pm, 48% at 5am). in previous report above, i had 7-9% drain overnight; ~5 hours of sleep.

now i just have to remember to enable / disable "Hey Siri" accordingly.

Hope this helps others.
Did you happen to see anything in usage that pointed to Siri? Like "Siri and Dictation" maybe?

How would having Hey Siri on cause a battery drain?.
It could be because Siri is always listening with that enabled. Perhaps toggling it off and back on may solve it as well.

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I don't think downgrading to iOS 10.0.1 is helping my phone at all, phone's been off charge since 7 (it's now 9:20), data and wifi are off, BT only thing on and it's down to 95%... Only used my phone for 5 min to read email and that's it.

I have location services set to only in app, background app refresh is off, system settings are only turned on for Find my iPhone and Routing and Traffic. Hey Siri is turned off. Sharing my location (originally from my iPad) is completely turned off now.

I think it's a battery replacement for me. I'll give it one more day and if it's still stuffing up I'll get in touch with Apple. It's a free replacement (still in warranty & also have AppleCare+)

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
How can I rewind my phone to 9.3.5?
The only reason I went up to 10 is I wanted the emojis of female cyclists.
Everything else I like better in iOS9.

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
I don't think downgrading to iOS 10.0.1 is helping my phone at all, phone's been off charge since 7 (it's now 9:20), data and wifi are off, BT only thing on and it's down to 95%... Only used my phone for 5 min to read email and that's it.

I have location services set to only in app, background app refresh is off, system settings are only turned on for Find my iPhone and Routing and Traffic. Hey Siri is turned off. Sharing my location (originally from my iPad) is completely turned off now.

I think it's a battery replacement for me. I'll give it one more day and if it's still stuffing up I'll get in touch with Apple. It's a free replacement (still in warranty & also have AppleCare+)

What is your iPhone?

I have an iPhone 6S with these problems. The battery doesn't work very well. It is lasting 4 or 5 hours in use. (Drop ~1% per minute)

I already sent my iPhone for the warranty/ apple care and they didn't fixed it. They said that my battery is "very well".

I did many tests with apple advisors and they was not found problems with my iPhone.

A friend replaced the battery of his iPhone in a authorized store and the problem continues!

I think the problem is the "battery firmware" or the Software/ iOS.

Look my battery status, is totally uncalibrated!
How the recorder app (that was open for 4 minutes) can spend more battery than Facebook (which was used for hours) ?

Attachments

• IMG_1954.PNG
    IMG_1954.PNG
    162.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

mconheady

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Today I started shopping around for (gulp) android phones. Since day one of iOS10, my battery life was cut in half. I feel tethered. It is really unacceptable. Yeah, I can go into settings, turn down brightness, disable everything that's new to iOS since version 5, and spent a good 4 hours backing up and reinstalling everything (only to find itunes ALWAYS reinstalls every single app i've ever downloaded since iphone 3g)
But you know what? Apple isn't ahead anymore. It doesn't have the edge it used to have. IT has long moved on from being a usable, reliable platform. Yeah I can put up with the ******** frustrations of Android at this point. I'm already putting up with it, as Apple releases one terrible update after another. (seriously, you kill the headphone jack and launch a phone/iOS that has a buggy audio lightning jack to prove that your choice was more complex and asinine--and then you patch that one quick, didn't you?).

I'd much rather have a phone that actually has power when i need to use it, than a dead one I just can't trust --- as Apple goes silent for months at a time. Enough waiting for apple to address this.

And you know what... we shouldn't' have to make sacrifices for battery life, features, and our time (as we hover this topic waiting for a solution).

All we did was update the damned phone!

Are the 3 tiny noticable features that came with this update really worth the halving of reliabilty? F- no. Time to move on. Apple, I thank you for being a solid product for so long. But I can't can't be a victim of your arrogance and ignorance. I paid a lot for your phone, and I kept it clean ain a shiny case. Is it too much you to not force me into an update that breaks it? Is it too much for you to ***** communicate to your customers about what you are working on and what's in store as far as fixes and updates? That par for the course these days. It ain't' 2008 anymore. Goodbye, rotting apple.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I've noticed that under iOS 10 apps update pretty much at any time the phone is connected to Wifi though frequently it does so right after disconnecting the phone from charging. Under iOS 9.3.5, the phone has to be charging for apps to automatically download. That could be a potential cause of battery drain.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Well I went back to iOS 9.3.5 and didn't notice much of a difference. Battery life was maybe 5% better. On iOS 10 my phone would have 7 hours of screen on time. On iOS 9 I'd get around 7 hours and 20 mins. Not a huge difference.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Guys you know you can downgrade ? It will wipe all data but you can make a backup (I started new phone so can't say that backup is compatible ).
Search google for that - it's still signed :)
SE 9.3.5 ftw!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Guys you know you can downgrade ? It will wipe all data but you can make a backup (I started new phone so can't say that backup is compatible ).
Search google for that - it's still signed :)
SE 9.3.5 ftw!
Backup of a newer iOS version won't be something that could be installed on an older iOS version.

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but this cannot be good. Booked an appointment with the local Apple Store on Sunday, hopefully a new battery replacement will be the fix to my problems.

I literally have everything turned off to do with location, and had data and wifi off for most of today (up until 3:10pm). So these stats really aren't good.

By the way, still running iOS 10.0.1, set up as new. I didn't restore.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.PNG
    IMG_0317.PNG
    252.7 KB · Views: 191

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but this cannot be good. Booked an appointment with the local Apple Store on Sunday, hopefully a new battery replacement will be the fix to my problems.

I literally have everything turned off to do with location, and had data and wifi off for most of today (up until 3:10pm). So these stats really aren't good.

If it's not a 7 downgrade to 9.3.5 and it will fix it

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
IMG_0842.PNG

That's not good if it's a new iPhone 7?
I have a feeling it's something software/iOS related though and not hardware.

Here's mine for comparison ...
IMG_0842.PNG

That's mainly usage on a weak 4G signal earlier at work (1 or 2 signal dots) and my phone suffers from excessive standby drain too (15% over 7 hours compared to 4% on an identical iPhone 7 next to it).

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
View attachment 665145

That's not good if it's a new iPhone 7?
I have a feeling it's something software/iOS related though and not hardware.

Here's mine for comparison ... View attachment 665145

That's mainly usage on a weak 4G signal earlier at work (1 or 2 signal dots) and my phone suffers from excessive standby drain too (15% over 7 hours compared to 4% on an identical iPhone 7 next to it).

Hang on, but how would software be the problem if I've gone through three different OSes and I know that 10.0.1 worked fine with the battery?

Worth a shot anyway with the battery.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Hang on, but how would software be the problem if I've gone through three different OSes and I know that 10.0.1 worked fine with the battery?

Worth a shot anyway with the battery.

your original install of 10.0.1 worked well yes, but something on this install is causing battery drain, maybe something's corrupted on the install somewhere is more likely than a faulty battery, but I hope your right and a battery swap fixes it for you. It is worth a shot sure. Good luck

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
your original install of 10.0.1 worked well yes, but something on this install is causing battery drain, maybe something's corrupted on the install somewhere is more likely than a faulty battery, but I hope your right and a battery swap fixes it for you. It is worth a shot sure. Good luck

iOS 10.0.1 the first time worked fine, then I went to iOS 10.0.2 - and that's when the battery went crap. I then tried to restore from backup on 10.0.2 and still rubbish. Tried going to iOS 10.1 PB and still rubbish.

Restored to iOS 10.0.1 as a new set up, so I'd expect it to run like a new phone? That's what I don't get leading me to think it's battery over software now.

Guess I'll find out on Sunday :)

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
iOS 10.0.1 the first time worked fine, then I went to iOS 10.0.2 - and that's when the battery went crap. I then tried to restore from backup on 10.0.2 and still rubbish. Tried going to iOS 10.1 PB and still rubbish.

Restored to iOS 10.0.1 as a new set up, so I'd expect it to run like a new phone? That's what I don't get leading me to think it's battery over software now.

Guess I'll find out on Sunday :)

Hmm if it worked the first time maybe a DFU restore will fix it?

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Hmm if it worked the first time maybe a DFU restore will fix it?
Really don't want to go restoring it again... took me ages to get it fixed up and everything. I know it might be the way for it to work but too time consuming :rolleyes:

I'll see how this battery replacement goes and let you guys know of the outcome. Hopefully it's the end to my woes.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
iOS 9.3.5 is a perfect os version now - yesterday had over 7h SoT with every day usage.
Today started with almost 2h usage 100% - 88% by web browsing / YouTube

iOS 10 is unfinished for sure and for old devices (big number of cycles ) it's battery killer. But even my SE or yours 6S are affected by this.
I paid for great flagship phone (SE was this before 7 ) and I can't stand what they did.

Maybe that's a bug I had by update on iTunes (always do that ) - came from Android where backup is more than enough for every update and from Xiaomi phone where each Friday something was screwed.

Trust me downgrade to 9.3.5 if you have time and are worried about battery life. Still signed. Set as new obviously.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
Quoting myself again in case anyone is following my little journey...

I think i fixed my overnight battery drain on the iphone 6s. Turns out, when going through settings to try to kill some things one by one, i completely forgot to check on Siri. I'm a "Hey Siri" user (not often but i have it on) and just completely slipped my mind to kill that when trying to diagnose this overnight battery drain issue.

well, last night i finally remembered and disabled "Hey Siri" and happy to report, though cautiously optimistic, that i had zero overnight battery drain after 6 hours (48% at 11pm, 48% at 5am). in previous report above, i had 7-9% drain overnight; ~5 hours of sleep.

now i just have to remember to enable / disable "Hey Siri" accordingly.

Hope this helps others.
ok, following up and adding results of the "Hey Siri"

"Hey Siri" disabled (along with all the other stuff i had disabled in previous posts)
Oct. 11 - overnight - 48% at 11pm, 48% at 5am
Oct. 12 - overnight - 76% at 10:30pm, 72% at 4:45am ( :mad: )

so in my super duper 1 day testing, i see that option makes no difference already.
at this point, so many options are turned off that it might as well be a brick with a camera attached. i'll just wait 'til iOS 10.3.5.12.4 and hopefully phantom battery drain will be fixed by then.

Reactions: addamas

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
ok, following up and adding results of the "Hey Siri"

"Hey Siri" disabled (along with all the other stuff i had disabled in previous posts)
Oct. 11 - overnight - 48% at 11pm, 48% at 5am
Oct. 12 - overnight - 76% at 10:30pm, 72% at 4:45am ( :mad: )

so in my super duper 1 day testing, i see that option makes no difference already.
at this point, so many options are turned off that it might as well be a brick with a camera attached. i'll just wait 'til iOS 10.3.5.12.4 and hopefully phantom battery drain will be fixed by then.

I did the same (turned off "hey siri", location services, background refreshing, motion sensor, etc.) and that options makes no difference too.

The battery is still dropping 1% per 1 or 2 minutes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.