Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
So why aren't the news sites like macrumors writing posts about these pervasive problems? Shouldn't someone be amplifying the frustration so apple hears us?

Reactions: dianp

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So why aren't the news sites like macrumors writing posts about these pervasive problems? Shouldn't someone be amplifying the frustration so apple hears us?
They typically do when the issues are prevalent/widespread/etc. enough to warrant it.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
Because it happens with just about every major iOS release (and fixed subsequently with additional minor releases). Unless every user starts from scratch every time, it's going to keep happening. just the way things go. It just looks more prevalent as more and more users get on iOS and continue updating their devices.

A nice little summary of previous threads:

And to that you can add iOS 9:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/6-plus-battery-drain-under-ios-9.1920513/

and for future users (i.e. when iOS 11 comes out), you can add this thread and continue the cycle :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-life.1993195/

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Oct. 11 - overnight - 48% at 11pm, 48% at 5am
Oct. 12 - overnight - 76% at 10:30pm, 72% at 4:45am ( :mad: )

Your over night battery drain is a dream for me, my iPhone 7 would have lost 12-15% during that time on standby. I have no idea what's draining it either, I've done my research And believe me I turned off anything you could think of that could cause it, there's nothing under battery usage that shows unusual activity (usage time doesn't really go up) and the battery drops slowly during actual usage of the phone so I know the battery itself isn't a dud, but for some reason it drains on standby a lot more than It should. This is 10.0.2... 10.0.1 was fine though.

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
These are my stats. And I am not a heavy user at all. For the first time I tried to "use" the Facebook app. Usually if I wanna check Facebook then my macbook/ipad and if it is on the phone then Safari. 1 month old Iphone 6s. Any comments on my stats or gy is my usage so "low" :(

Attachments

• IMG_4099.PNG
    IMG_4099.PNG
    156.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4100.PNG
    IMG_4100.PNG
    137.7 KB · Views: 215

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These are my stats. And I am not a heavy user at all. For the first time I tried to "use" the Facebook app. Usually if I wanna check Facebook then my macbook/ipad and if it is on the phone then Safari. 1 month old Iphone 6s. Any comments on my stats or gy is my usage so "low" :(
Is that really "low"?

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Is that really "low"?
First two weeks i had 8h30 min battery usage, or let's say in average 8h. Now maybe I am wrong but seeing how much other people get I believe that it is low. Or what do you guys think?

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
First two weeks i had 8h30 min battery usage, or let's say in average 8h. Now maybe I am wrong but seeing how much other people get I believe that it is low. Or what do you guys think?

Are you seeing that standby time though. Your battery life isn't bad. 6-8 hours is the average time for iPhones. Your Battery life is pretty good considering you just have a 6s and not a plus. I have a brand new iPhone 7 Plus, sometimes I get 8 sometimes I get 6 depending on usage. Usually nothing lower than 5. This is the world we live in. Apple doesn't put huge batteries in their phones. While unfortunate it's an L we just have to take with a daily stride. But look people I was reading through the last couple pages and all I see is complaints. Nobody is forcing you guys to buy these phones. If you can fix it then fix it and share the knowledge, otherwise just deal with it or get a new phone that better suits your needs. Complaining about it on here where apple definitely isn't gonna see it is pointless and a waste of time and typing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mich070 and dianp

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Was that with similar 50 hours of standby time too? And similar usage in similar places/conditions?

Reactions: mich070 and Nisaja

Hedo

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2016
I'm finally happy with the battery life on my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB while running ios 10.1 beta 2, so much so I'm not upgrading to beta 3 for fear of it turning to the worse again. With 10.0.2 and the same use I would have had to charge the phone by now, it's especially the standby time which is much better on 10.1 beta 2.

I've been using Safari, Youtube, Facebook, Messenger, listening to audio books with Audible and watching a few downloaded videos with Infuse. Lot's for screen on time with especially Youtube, Facebook, Safari and Infuse

I have location and 4G turned on, background app refresh turned off, push notifications turned on for a few apps like Gmail, Messenger etc and one exchange-account with 15 minutes pull of new emails. My brightness level is set to auto and I've had bluetooth on when in the car and while listening to audio books for maybe 1,5-2 hours.

IMG_1726.PNG IMG_1727.PNG

Reactions: IsaiahL and dianp

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
I'm finally happy with the battery life on my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB while running ios 10.1 beta 2, so much so I'm not upgrading to beta 3 for fear of it turning to the worse again. With 10.0.2 and the same use I would have had to charge the phone by now, it's especially the standby time which is much better on 10.1 beta 2.

I've been using Safari, Youtube, Facebook, Messenger, listening to audio books with Audible and watching a few downloaded videos with Infuse. Lot's for screen on time with especially Youtube, Facebook, Safari and Infuse

I have location and 4G turned on, background app refresh turned off, push notifications turned on for a few apps like Gmail, Messenger etc and one exchange-account with 15 minutes pull of new emails. My brightness level is set to auto and I've had bluetooth on when in the car and while listening to audio books for maybe 1,5-2 hours.

View attachment 665397 View attachment 665398

How is the beta running in general on your phone. I wanted to put iOS 10.1 Beta on my phone but I was fearful lol. I know sometimes these betas bring phones and setting up my phone is job in itself.

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
Just downloaded Beta 3. A little bit of lag but it's not anything I can't deal with. I'm charging my phone to a 100% rn so the battery test will commence starting from there. I'll let you guys know if it's good or bad.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007

Why in the world do you have facebook installed on your iphone? Unless you want to buy a second portable battery, delete that privacy invading battery intensive crap, do something else with the short time you have before you die.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why in the world do you have facebook installed on your iphone? Unless you want to buy a second portable battery, delete that privacy invading battery intensive crap, do something else with the short time you have before you die.
For many people it doesn't really affect battery life that much (unless they are constantly using it perhaps or potentially give it access to everything including location services always, microphone, etc.) nor has any other implications.

Last edited:
Reactions: mich070 and dianp

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

What he does on his phone is his business. Although any app can be a battery drain if you use it all the time. Instead why not ask the nice poster to post his battery usage stats and see what else could be causing the drain.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
What he does on his phone is his business. Although any app can be a battery drain if you use it all the time. Instead why not ask the nice poster to post his battery usage stats and see what else could be causing the drain.

facebook has a history of causing battery drainage that's all, sure it doesn't mean it still is. plus i am just saying its privacy invasive crap waste of time. totally his decision what he ends up doing (whether he wants fbook or not), that was just my two cents ;) oh and looking at his battery stats its second on the list, firsti s infuse and its understandable because that involves watching videos and etc which are more resource intensive.

Reactions: dianp and mich070

xxNightflyerxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
Been testing the iOS 10 beta's since beginning of August and all went really well. From the last one/GM on however, something has been going on. No real draining on standby, but the moment I started using the phone the percentages dropped noticeable quicker than before.
Not only while going OTA from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2, but also restoring with 10.0.2 ipsw + iCloud backup + resetting all settings still gave worse results than before (note that I have been using iOS 8 up until August and completely skipped iOS 9).

Been having very good experience on my iPhone 6 with latest iOS 10.1 b3, the first one in the 10.1 beta series to do so. Maybe not a record usage, if I see some posting here, but certainly good enough for me :) The battery has a wear of 9% and 336 cycles after 22 months in use.

Attachments

• IMG_2552.PNG
    IMG_2552.PNG
    124.5 KB · Views: 142

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Went and visited Apple today.

They decided to do a DFU restore, and onto iOS 10.0.2. No battery replacement.

Apparently another customer was having the same problem as me and the DFU worked.

So far battery seems to be doing better. Will see how it copes tomorrow (a full day)

Potus325

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
Went and visited Apple today.

They decided to do a DFU restore, and onto iOS 10.0.2. No battery replacement.

Apparently another customer was having the same problem as me and the DFU worked.

So far battery seems to be doing better. Will see how it copes tomorrow (a full day)

Isn't the problem with that, that you loose all your text messages etc?

supermars

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2015
My friend said that her battery life with ios10 (iPhone 6s) is terrible, something like minus 40% ! What a shame...

Roque1128

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Today I started shopping around for (gulp) android phones. Since day one of iOS10, my battery life was cut in half. I feel tethered. It is really unacceptable. Yeah, I can go into settings, turn down brightness, disable everything that's new to iOS since version 5, and spent a good 4 hours backing up and reinstalling everything (only to find itunes ALWAYS reinstalls every single app i've ever downloaded since iphone 3g)
But you know what? Apple isn't ahead anymore. It doesn't have the edge it used to have. IT has long moved on from being a usable, reliable platform. Yeah I can put up with the ******** frustrations of Android at this point. I'm already putting up with it, as Apple releases one terrible update after another. (seriously, you kill the headphone jack and launch a phone/iOS that has a buggy audio lightning jack to prove that your choice was more complex and asinine--and then you patch that one quick, didn't you?).

I'd much rather have a phone that actually has power when i need to use it, than a dead one I just can't trust --- as Apple goes silent for months at a time. Enough waiting for apple to address this.

And you know what... we shouldn't' have to make sacrifices for battery life, features, and our time (as we hover this topic waiting for a solution).

All we did was update the damned phone!

Are the 3 tiny noticable features that came with this update really worth the halving of reliabilty? F- no. Time to move on. Apple, I thank you for being a solid product for so long. But I can't can't be a victim of your arrogance and ignorance. I paid a lot for your phone, and I kept it clean ain a shiny case. Is it too much you to not force me into an update that breaks it? Is it too much for you to ***** communicate to your customers about what you are working on and what's in store as far as fixes and updates? That par for the course these days. It ain't' 2008 anymore. Goodbye, rotting apple.

I thought the same thing, and tried a Galaxy S7 Edge and a Nexus 6p. The battery life on both of those was significantly worse than any iPhone I ever used. And they both have MUCH larger batteries. Needless to say I'm back on a 6s plus. And I turned literally everything off to the point I really couldn't enjoy either one of those phones because of it. Here is my current battery running 10.1 beta 3. And for the record, I have all my location services on, Bluetooth is on 24 hrs a day for my watch, and I have email being pushed to my phone with the Spark app.
1331035d36dde8ed56699d515d5a18f9.png

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I thought the same thing, and tried a Galaxy S7 Edge and a Nexus 6p. The battery life on both of those was significantly worse than any iPhone I ever used. And they both have MUCH larger batteries. Needless to say I'm back on a 6s plus. And I turned literally everything off to the point I really couldn't enjoy either one of those phones because of it. Here is my current battery running 10.1 beta 3. And for the record, I have all my location services on, Bluetooth is on 24 hrs a day for my watch, and I have email being pushed to my phone with the Spark app.
1331035d36dde8ed56699d515d5a18f9.png

I almost bought the Galaxy S7 Edge because it has incredible battery life. Have you seen the GSMArena battery tests?
18cf2e4e733ba8b298ba115c791f129d.jpg
9998d23ab7afeed3da367ac12d14ff6f.jpg

I'm surprised you noticed worse battery life. Was the S7 you bought the Exynos version? That version has better battery life.

Roque1128

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
I almost bought the Galaxy S7 Edge because it has incredible battery life. Have you seen the GSMArena battery tests?
18cf2e4e733ba8b298ba115c791f129d.jpg
9998d23ab7afeed3da367ac12d14ff6f.jpg

I'm surprised you noticed worse battery life. Was the S7 you bought the Exynos version? That version has better battery life.

No it was the us version. Crazy thing is, I had to exchange the phone 3 times for various issues. I couldn't get through an entire day without putting it in the charger. The problem with android is the amount of processes they have running in the background. The standby by drain was bad on the Edge also. My phone would be at 100% and I could not touch for and hour and I would come back to it at 92%.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
No it was the us version. Crazy thing is, I had to exchange the phone 3 times for various issues. I couldn't get through an entire day without putting it in the charger. The problem with android is the amount of processes they have running in the background. The standby by drain was bad on the Edge also. My phone would be at 100% and I could not touch for and hour and I would come back to it at 92%.

Maybe there was something running in the background. The S7 Edge has better battery life than the 6s Plus. A lotta reviewers have proved it. But I'm surprised you experienced the completely opposite. Another reason to stick to iOS I guess haha.

Roque1128

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Maybe there was something running in the background. The S7 Edge has better battery life than the 6s Plus. A lotta reviewers have proved it. But I'm surprised you experienced the completely opposite. Another reason to stick to iOS I guess haha.

And that's why I don't pay too much attention to reviews lol. I go by my experience, and with 3 different galaxy s7 edges, my experience was that the battery life wasn't all that it was talked up to be. As far as things running in the background, I had everything possible turned off and blacklisted that I could without making the phone malfunction.

Last edited:
Reactions: imex99 and IsaiahL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.