Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Most the battery drain issues on iOS 10.0.2 are not related to these settings, if your getting this problem you can turn them all off and you'll still get the standby battery drain. A stable working how it should be 10.0.2 will hardly drop any battery on standby even with these settings your all turning off switched on.

There's a problem with the install of the OS and something is draining battery that can't be turned off in settings unfortunately.

Reactions: XT550 and Potus325

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Hello,
Thanks that you asked for it because I found network is never used so can be disabled. Yes these are my only turned on settings in system location services :
* find my iPhone
* compass calibration (it seems to help when you need proper gps signal by doing something ) so I turned it on again.

About "time to leave" someone mentioned that under calendar settings you find out Default alert times (or something like that ) and inside this submenu is a setting called "time to leave ". By default turned on... just a guess but why leave it on if you don't need it?

I am really looking for a description what does every setting in location services do.
What is WiFi networks and how it works and so on. Found only articles about saving battery by disabling some of them. Last places drain battery for sure.

Does every time compass calibration work like on 6s - it's "working" even when screen is turned off ? Each time I had location icon for system settings enabled this icon was in lock screen after I picked up phone.
Widgets I have are: what's next and stock weather widget which should not use gps anymore...
Here is some info for you:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203033

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/01/21/iphone-ipad-location-services/

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
My location services settings for today (the only thing turned on underneath is routing & traffic)

Lets see if my standby times will improve..

Otherwise the app locations services are all set to "While Using" and the About to Leave function in calendar is also turned off.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.PNG
    IMG_0313.PNG
    241 KB · Views: 126

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the battery life on iPhone 7 running 10.0.2.

A few minutes shy of 8 hours usage, and ~30 hours standby. Much better than what I got on the iPhone 6.

Granted, I didn't play many CPU-intensive games or such (but some of that too), but FB, Reddit, Mail, phone calls, iMessages / SMS, and what have you. Suits my needs quite nicely, I must say.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Finally got my 7 on Monday. Installed b3 yesterday on both the 6s and new 7, then restored my 6s setup to the 7 via iTunes.

On iOS 10GM, and any of the betas thus far, I've only been able to achieve maybe 3-4 hours of usage max. I don't even do much on my phone, and my settings are very well tuned to have any battery drain options turned off. Background refresh off, location services only when app is in use, system services only has find my iPhone on, auto brightness on, wifi/bt off, ringer on silent so no vibrations...etc etc.

Spent a full day with the 7 today. At 45% with 5 hours usage, and 12 hours standby. Night and day difference thus far. Amazing.

FWIW, these are the exact same usage stats I was seeing on iOS 9 with my 6s. Not to be that guy...but come on.

Reactions: dianp

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
If someone is interested there is still a possibility to downgrade to 9.3.5 .
I did it on SE and it's for me as fast as 10.0.2 and I will test it out (I am using Reduce Motion which seems to be worse on iOS 10 )
For now I can say that Geekbench 3 is better on iOS 9...

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Finally got my 7 on Monday. Installed b3 yesterday on both the 6s and new 7, then restored my 6s setup to the 7 via iTunes.

On iOS 10GM, and any of the betas thus far, I've only been able to achieve maybe 3-4 hours of usage max. I don't even do much on my phone, and my settings are very well tuned to have any battery drain options turned off. Background refresh off, location services only when app is in use, system services only has find my iPhone on, auto brightness on, wifi/bt off, ringer on silent so no vibrations...etc etc.

Spent a full day with the 7 today. At 45% with 5 hours usage, and 12 hours standby. Night and day difference thus far. Amazing.

FWIW, these are the exact same usage stats I was seeing on iOS 9 with my 6s. Not to be that guy...but come on.

Can I ask .. did you install the b3 on your 6s OTA?

I see you've turned everything off almost on it but your battery still sucks. If you've tested the battery capacity with an app like battery life etc and it's still decent then there's a problem with the OS install.

I've compared 2 iPhone 7's here, both set up almost the same with similar stuff switched off in settings and back ground app refresh, location services etc setup the same. Both iPhones battery's drop at a similar rate whilst actually doing something on the phones but the one drops around 15% battery if left alone for 8 hours on standby and the other drops around just 4% in the same time!

Only difference is the one that suffers standby drain was updated from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2 OTA and the other was set up as fresh install on iTunes to 10.0.2.

It seems clear to me that in most cases where the phones are suffering abnormal standby drain on iOS 10 it's something corrupted or gone wrong with the install of the OS on the phones and not a setting that needs changing.

I've posted this before but I'll post it again, ..on the apple discussion boards this exact procedure seems to have fixed the standby battery drain problem for some users

* Be on 10.0.1 or below (downgrade if necessary)

* Reset All Settings AND Reset Network Settings (in Settings-General-Reset)

* Backup in iTunes (If prompted to Download and Update, select "Download" (only) so 10.0.2 ipsw update is available but not installed (do not proceed with update)

* After iOS download completes (mouse-over spinning circle in top-right of iTunes to see download status) re-Connect USB and in iTunes select "Restore iPhone" (As long as the ipsw downloaded, you will be Updated to 10.0.2 during the Restore)..

* Near the end of the Restore & Update process, hopefully you will be prompted to "Install Carrier Update" (This seems to help)

* Probably a good idea to use iPhone for 24-48hrs on 10.02 to observe battery life before changing settings significantly..

Cheers

Reactions: addamas

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Ok chaps, on the apple discussion board this method seems to fix the battery drain issue for some users..

* Backup in iTunes (If prompted to Download and Update, select "Download" (only) so 10.0.2 ipsw update is available but not installed (do not proceed with update)

* After iOS download completes (mouse-over spinning circle in top-right of iTunes to see download status) re-Connect USB and in iTunes select "Restore iPhone" (As long as the ipsw downloaded, you will be Updated to 10.0.2 during the Restore)..

* Near the end of the Restore & Update process, hopefully you will be prompted to "Install Carrier Update" (This seems to help)

* Probably a good idea to use iPhone for 24-48hrs on 10.02 to observe battery life before changing settings significantly..

Might try this myself if the next OTA update doesn't fix the excessive standby drain on mine

Cheers
Technically some of this isn't actually correct and is redundant or out of order.
* Reset All Settings AND Reset Network Settings (in Settings-General-Reset)- Resetting All also resets network so no need to do both. Also if restoring then no need to do the reset at all beforehand as a restore does this anyway.

The best option is to JUST try the reset all settings (or network settings) 1st and if that doesn't work then a restore of iOS may help. If you restore a backup after the iOS restore then a reset all would be a good idea and does help when things are not right. Since restoring a backup will in fact restore your settings (possibly corrupt settings), that is why a reset all settings afterwards helps in that case. Anyway good info and these steps can and do help with battery issues. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: deano1972

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Can I ask .. did you install the b3 on your 6s OTA?

I see you've turned everything off almost on it but your battery still sucks. If you've tested the battery capacity with an app like battery life etc and it's still decent then there's a problem with the OS install.

I've compared 2 iPhone 7's here, both set up almost the same with similar stuff switched off in settings and back ground app refresh, location services etc setup the same. Both iPhones battery's drop at a similar rate whilst actually doing something on the phones but the one drops around 15% battery if left alone for 8 hours on standby and the other drops around just 4% in the same time!

Only difference is the one that suffers standby drain was updated from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2 OTA and the other was set up as fresh install on iTunes to 10.0.2.

It seems clear to me that in most cases where the phones are suffering abnormal standby drain on iOS 10 it's something corrupted or gone wrong with the install of the OS on the phones and not a setting that needs changing.

I've posted this before but I'll post it again, ..on the apple discussion boards this exact procedure seems to have fixed the standby battery drain problem for some users

Cheers

Even with a clean install of any iOS 10 build, including the GM - I was only ever able to get 3-4hours of actual usage. Rolling back to iOS 9, and I was able to achieve the same battery life I am now once again starting to see here on the new 7. I've never been one to buy into that whole 'planned obsolescence' banter...but idk now...it is very curious, to say the least.

EDIT: yes, to answer your question I have tried installing directly from iTunes rather than OTA...as well doing clean installs.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Even with a clean install of any iOS 10 build, including the GM - I was only ever able to get 3-4hours of actual usage. Rolling back to iOS 9, and I was able to achieve the same battery life I am now once again starting to see here on the new 7. I've never been one to buy into that whole 'planned obsolescence' banter...but idk now...it is very curious, to say the least.

EDIT: yes, to answer your question I have tried installing directly from iTunes rather than OTA...as well doing clean installs.

Strange, there are other users reporting excellent battery life on a 6s running iOS 10, and likewise I've actually witnessed first hand 2 identical iPhone 7's running the same iOS 10 version both set up the same in settings with completely different battery drain rates on standby.

It seems when iOS 10 installs correctly it works well but for some reason many of us have a dodgy install of it where the battery drains. Most perplexing.

Reactions: Potus325

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
both my ipad 12.9 and iphone 6s are now experiencing pretty bad battery drain (not terrible but pretty noticeable now). Initially after installing 10.0.2 when it was available, things seemed fine. now in the last couple of days:

on the ipad -- i used to be able to browse with chrome/safari for a good hour so before i see a percentage drop in battery. now after 8-10 minutes of browsing, it drops a percent. that's a significant difference. no problems with overnight draining though; no drop in battery percentage after 5 hours of sleep. which leads me to the iphone...

on the iphone -- this 6S is about a year old. i usually don't have a problem with overnight battery drain (1-2% maybe?). but in the last couple of days i've lost 7-9% overnight (5 hours of sleep). then lost another 6% on the drive to work, which was about 30 minutes (bluetooth was on as it usually is but i made sure not to use it i.e. didn't switch to pandora.

my usage habits had not changed so something is up o_O

just quoting myself above for comparison (the above was behavior i was seeing yesterday morning and the night before that).

i've continued digging through settings and think i may have got something that worked*. in settings --> calendar, there's a few more settings that may be doing stuff in the background that may not register in battery use or location services but could possibly be doing something in theory:

Settings --> Calendar
-Default Alert Times - disabled "Time to leave" (reading it's description says it may involve location so i killed it)
-Location Suggestions - disabled it
-Events found in Apps - disabled it

Battery percentage was at 75% before the settings change. I've had it like that for about 2.5/3 hours now. in that time i've used safari a little bit (including some testing with voiceover), instagram (viewing feed, including videos), appshopper, and took a few pics. battery percentage is still 75%!

*at least on my iphone 6S. i'll check my ipad tonight and report back. if you try it, please give feedback if it works for you.

Quoting myself again in case anyone is following my little journey...

I think i fixed my overnight battery drain on the iphone 6s. Turns out, when going through settings to try to kill some things one by one, i completely forgot to check on Siri. I'm a "Hey Siri" user (not often but i have it on) and just completely slipped my mind to kill that when trying to diagnose this overnight battery drain issue.

well, last night i finally remembered and disabled "Hey Siri" and happy to report, though cautiously optimistic, that i had zero overnight battery drain after 6 hours (48% at 11pm, 48% at 5am). in previous report above, i had 7-9% drain overnight; ~5 hours of sleep.

now i just have to remember to enable / disable "Hey Siri" accordingly.

Hope this helps others.

Last edited:

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I actually restored to iOS 9.3.5, and went back to 10.0.2. I wanted to see how much better the battery life would get. I was still getting around 7 hours of usage. iOS 9 might have 20 mins more usage. That's about it. Went straight back to 10.0.2.

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
Quoting myself again in case anyone is following my little journey...

I think i fixed my overnight battery drain on the iphone 6s. Turns out, when going through settings to try to kill some things one by one, i completely forgot to check on Siri. I'm a "Hey Siri" user (not often but i have it on) and just completely slipped my mind to kill that when trying to diagnose this overnight battery drain issue.

well, last night i finally remembered and disabled "Hey Siri" and happy to report, though cautiously optimistic, that i had zero overnight battery drain after 6 hours (48% at 11pm, 48% at 5am). in previous report above, i had 7-9% drain overnight; ~5 hours of sleep.

now i just have to remember to enable / disable "Hey Siri" accordingly.

Hope this helps others.

How would having Hey Siri on cause a battery drain?.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
How would having Hey Siri on cause a battery drain?.
bug in 10.0.2? i dunno as it didn't seem to be a problem with 9.3.5. trying to narrow down / rule things out.

i'm going to keep track of 'hey siri' on/off overnight tests for the rest of the week. i'll update with results accordingly

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
bug in 10.0.2? i dunno as it didn't seem to be a problem with 9.3.5. trying to narrow down / rule things out.

i'm going to keep track of 'hey siri' on/off overnight tests for the rest of the week. i'll update with results accordingly

I'm gonna do a test with my iPhone 7 Plus and see if it affects anything.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
Don't laugh: iPhone 5. 10.0.2

After seeing an article about damaging our batteries by over-charging overnight, I've been trying not to. Several nights recently I've gone to bed with 100% battery, left unplugged. When I wake up, I've got 80%-85% battery remaining.

WTF? I have most of my non-essential background refresh apps off (because iPhone 5). Mail has been failing to push new messages through. Yes I know I can put it in airplane mode and this won't happen, but I would really like to know what my phone is doing to burn 20% of its battery while I sleep.

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014

After seeing an article about damaging our batteries by over-charging overnight, I've been trying not to. Several nights recently I've gone to bed with 100% battery, left unplugged. When I wake up, I've got 80%-85% battery remaining.

WTF? I have most of my non-essential background refresh apps off (because iPhone 5). Mail has been failing to push new messages through. Yes I know I can put it in airplane mode and this won't happen, but I would really like to know what my phone is doing to burn 20% of its battery while I sleep.

Lmfao why do you still have that ancient device. And I've read a couple articles that say it's fine to leave your phone plugged in because the iPhone is smart enough to know when to cut the power to the battery even tho it's still plugged in. I noticed this to be true. I left my 6 plugged in overnight all the time and the battery life never changed noticeably.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016

you don't think it might be a problem with the mail app? if it has problem pushing messages through, it might also be having problems sending them out. check your outbox; if there's mail stuck there, it could be constantly trying to get those out and possibly be the cause of the drain.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
you don't think it might be a problem with the mail app? if it has problem pushing messages through, it might also be having problems sending them out. check your outbox; if there's mail stuck there, it could be constantly trying to get those out and possibly be the cause of the drain.

I think they're concurrent issues, but don't see how they're related. When I open the mail app it fetches new messages instantly, I just don't get the notifications from new messages being pushed in from the server. This honestly doesn't bother me that much. I have nothing in my outgoing messages.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
It is first discharging after downgrade SE to 9.3.5 so it's indexing, getting cache and so on... But in my opinion it's working better than 10.0.2 :
*no problems with battery drain (only 2% by night )
*back to old messages without childish view
*slide to unlock will help in winter and unlocking by fingerprint are faster than on newest one
*battery last longer and there are no dropping % I had last days (had full discharge and only 87 cycles )
*wifi speeds are better (120 vs 150 on 9.3.5 )
*mail app is working as it should - no translation glitches...
*in reduce motion it's faster

Overall 9.3.5 looks like old business iPhone not entertainment device we have on iOS 10.
Glad to downgrade and have fun being beta tester on GM ones :)
iPhone was set as new - glitched iCloud 2- stage login did not sent me codes and had it blocked for like half hour when switched SIM card with old device - had no messages and was unable to make a call...

Reactions: smorrissey

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
It is first discharging after downgrade SE to 9.3.5 so it's indexing, getting cache and so on... But in my opinion it's working better than 10.0.2 :
*no problems with battery drain (only 2% by night )
*back to old messages without childish view
*slide to unlock will help in winter and unlocking by fingerprint are faster than on newest one
*battery last longer and there are no dropping % I had last days (had full discharge and only 87 cycles )
*wifi speeds are better (120 vs 150 on 9.3.5 )
*mail app is working as it should - no translation glitches...
*in reduce motion it's faster

Overall 9.3.5 looks like old business iPhone not entertainment device we have on iOS 10.
Glad to downgrade and have fun being beta tester on GM ones :)

Enjoy i also downgrade to 9.3.5 and things are again "normal".

*no problems with battery drain 0% by night
*slide to unlock is better.
*battery last longer and there are no dropping % only when it is used obviously but much slower than ios 10.

Reactions: dianp and addamas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.