Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Come on, it's a thread about battery life in general. Not a private club for people with bad battery life...

Although i agree the thread's title is too general...it wasn't the original intention, it has turned into that check the OP first post:

I know it has only been 24 hours but I am finding ios 10 on my 6s to have noticeably worse battery life. Anyone else noticing this?

^ The guy is clearly having a problem not braggin about his great battery life...

And don't get me wrong sometimes stating the contrary is helpful in order to clarify the situation but stating the same over and over again like some guys do (i don't have problems, you guys with this issue are a minoritiy, you guys are charging it wrong, blah blah blah) Its kind of a pain in....and tiring but don't worry using the ignore function works for me sometimes =)

BTW Apple tends to do the same... i perfectly remember the issue with my ipad air 2 and the pop noise problematic, those guys completely denied it...then they fix it silently after a couple of months (like 4 pretty much)...and no not all the ipad airs 2 worldwide were affected still many were....

I have just stated my personal opinion about this matter we perfectly know these threads are open for everybody.

Last edited:

Dannybiv

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
Saitama, Japan
After the upgrade of iOS 10, I had noticed a bit of a hit on my battery (iPhone 6 64GB), but nothing major. That was until yesterday. I was eating lunch and decided to look at some NFL news via the NFL official app. I suddenly noticed that that my phone was getting really hot and the battery percentage had jumped from around 85% to below 40%. I checked the battery usage and it said that the majority of the difference had come from the Phone app. It was odd because I hadn't used it and it was saying that one minute of being onscreen (no background activity) accounted for this problem. The same thing happened today as well.

I would opt to get a new battery, but I have an iPhone 7 plus reserved that's allegedly on its way sometime this month.

Reactions: dianp

ksaipas

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I had similar issues with my 6s+ battery. I booked an appt at my nearest Apple Store and the result (with proof) was that rogue operating system processes were crashing and restarting constantly hence the warm battery and the fast depletion, i.e. The phone has been working at 100% for hours. To cut the story short, this is being caused by outdated configuration since 2010 or so as I've been restoring every new iPhone since my iPhone 4s. All this plists and other configuration has been being carried forward resulting in these phenomena. Solution: I reset my iPhone and setup as new instead of restoring from backup. Contacts and rest of iCloud data will still be restored but apps and app configuration will have to be done manually. After this my 6s remains at 100% for hours and it is working like new despite the battery having lost 12% of its capacity. Hope this helps.

Reactions: dianp and imex99

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Updated to iOS 10.0.3 this morning... battery not so good. Also noticed it wasn't that good yesterday on iOS 10.0.2 after a DFU restore that *apparently* fixes this bug.

I had used the phone app to make a call for about 8min, and the battery stats said it was taking up 22% of my battery. After using my phone for about 5 minutes after the call, it was getting a little hot. The battery had dropped from 68% to 58% in the space of about 15-20 minutes i'd say. I never had this problem with my iPhone 6.

I'll give it a few more days and if it keeps mucking up, its back to Apple I go.

Reactions: dianp and Potus325

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
do you guys use LTE enabled with bad signal strength? that could be a huge battery drain if you have LTE enabled with only 1 or 2 bars of reception, try disabling LTE and using 4G instead. i did that and where i used to have 1 or 2 bars of LTE in my apartment, in 4G mode i have 4-5 bars and im pretty sure that is going to give me better overall battery life because the LTE chip in the phone doesn't need to work extra hard to keep its signal because obviously the strength of LTE where my apartment is located isn't the greatest.

imex99

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Ohio
do you guys use LTE enabled with bad signal strength? that could be a huge battery drain if you have LTE enabled with only 1 or 2 bars of reception, try disabling LTE and using 4G instead. i did that and where i used to have 1 or 2 bars of LTE in my apartment, in 4G mode i have 4-5 bars and im pretty sure that is going to give me better overall battery life because the LTE chip in the phone doesn't need to work extra hard to keep its signal because obviously the strength of LTE where my apartment is located isn't the greatest.

Lte=4g

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

I dont think you understand lol, if you disable LTE on the iPhone under ceullular settings the status bar no longer says "LTE" , it says "4G", it means that the iPhone is no longer connected to the LTE frequency of the carrier and rather uses the different slightly slower 4G connection from the carrier, in my case AT&T.

imex99

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Ohio
I dont think you understand lol, if you disable LTE on the iPhone under ceullular settings the status bar no longer says "LTE" , it says "4G", it means that the iPhone is no longer connected to the LTE frequency of the carrier and rather uses the different slightly slower 4G connection from the carrier, in my case AT&T.

U mean hspa+?

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
U mean hspa+?
Yeah that's the confusion with 4G and LTE.

In the US carriers call hsdpa+ 4G .. where in the uk for example it's still classed as a faster 3G technology (which is really all it is). LTE and 4G are the same .. when a user on a US carrier sees LTE on an iPhone a UK user sees 4G on their phone when using the same.. whether its called LTE or 4G is determined by how your carrier setting name it.

elikxir

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
Iphone 6 , IOS 10.0.2
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
9.3.5 and 10.0.1 are no longer signed so if you have problems with battery you're done.

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Depends..

if the usage was over a very weak 4G signal that might be normal.

A strong signal and also using wifi mainly then that's poor.

phone's been off WiFi and data since 9:55am today. Turned data on and off for light usage between 9:55am and 2:55pm (I'd say a total of 15 minutes max between these times - emails and light website browsing, a little bit of snapchat), otherwise only had BT on. From 2:55 until 3:30 phone had a bit of usage on 4G (3 bars). From 3:40-5:30pm phone was only connected to WiFi (as where I was had no phone reception).

From 5:30-6pm had 4G on, didn't use phone though. From 6pm until now (7:55pm) phone's been on WiFi.

Hope that makes sense :)

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
At times the battery percentage remains constant and suddenly the %age falls

I'm having the same issue. Battery went from about 30% one minute to the phone shutting down the next.

I plugged it into charger and it was immediately on 40%.

This has been going for a while (since last update at least) but the other day I did not bring my charger to work, so the phone was dead for a good 6 hours or so. I was hoping this would recalibrate the battery. Not really...

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
6% of "no mobile coverage" is not normal, too. I am not saying that this is the major cause for the drain, but there is definitevely something wrong with your cellular signal strength at some point during the day.

it's the building I was in at the time. You get no coverage on any networks, on any type of phone.

Usually it should be 2-3% which I've seen on my iPhone 6 in the same period of time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.