Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Then explain why everyone's battery was great on iOS 9, and then lost a couple of hours when they updated to iOS 10? This happens even after restoring and setting up as a new iPhone. That's what I did. My battery is still crap compared to iOS 9.
Everyone's?

Reactions: decafjava

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Then explain why everyone's battery was great on iOS 9, and then lost a couple of hours when they updated to iOS 10? This happens even after restoring and setting up as a new iPhone. That's what I did. My battery is still crap compared to iOS 9.

Not everyone's. My battery is doing very well with IOS 10.0.1 and an iPhone 6s. I have noticed no difference at all.

Reactions: sbailey4

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Did you compare your usage with what you got on iOS 9? My usage on iOS 10 is "alright" now. Getting around 7 and a half hours of usage. So it's definitely not bad, but it's not the 9 hours I got from iOS 9.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
iOS9 signing window is still open...

I just went back to 9.3.5 - actually is much smoother, I think you eventually get used to the new "normal" and forget how much better previous versions were.

Still miss iOS8 though

Reactions: dianp

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
If a phone with AppleCare was brought to the Apple Store for a battery check, what would likely happen? Get new battery or new phone? I read iOS 10 disables some battery health app functions. Is there a way to run my own diagnostic that would be similar to what they would do at an Apple Store?

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
iOS9 signing window is still open...

I just went back to 9.3.5 - actually is much smoother, I think you eventually get used to the new "normal" and forget how much better previous versions were.

Still miss iOS8 though

Did the battery life improve?

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Did you compare your usage with what you got on iOS 9? My usage on iOS 10 is "alright" now. Getting around 7 and a half hours of usage. So it's definitely not bad, but it's not the 9 hours I got from iOS 9.

No, I don't have the numbers others here claim to have. I do know that I still only loose 2-3% overnight and I am still only charging every 2 days. Same as 9.3.5.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Did the battery life improve?
Not had chance to test yet, but last night I DFU restored 9.3.5, restored from old backup, reset all settings, re-configured all my settings, rebooted, unplugged, then used it on the bed before sleeping for around 25 minutes.

Woke up 8 hours later and it was still at "100%".

On iOS10 I would drain at least 5 % overnight.

Bit early to say, but iOS9.3.5 was always good, so no doubt the battery is better.

Reactions: dianp and addamas

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
My personal experiment: went back to 9.3.5 without restoring backup.
Geekbench 3 battery test: 3:11 (screen always on, darkest setting for all geekbench tests)
Usage time on a normal day (just browsing web, email, imessage): 3:41

Went back to ios 10 (update, so basically still stock):
Geekbench 3 battery test: 2:54
Usage time on a normal day: about 3:00

Note that when I got this phone 1 year ago, Geekbench did 3:54, so I'm at about 80% battery (confirmed by battery life app). But the battery wear together with ios 10 make this practically unbearable...

And I find it remarkable that battery life is even worse in a Benchmark that keeps the phone at 30% cpu usage, so that any of the usual background activities shouldn't be noticeable any more...

So are there any consistent reports about better battery life with 10.1?

Last edited:

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
So it's confirmed then. iOS 10 drains the battery way more than iOS 9.
Nope.

This isn't very scientific, remember. Both phones being tested will have different capacity based on previous usage. It is, however, an indication that iOS 10 has, at minimum, similar battery usage compared to iOS 9.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
So it's confirmed then. iOS 10 drains the battery way more than iOS 9.
You're trying to say something is confirmed, when there is nothing's suggested to confirm iOS 10 has worse battery than iOS 9.

Even though what you're saying is true about the test performed, it offers more insight than someone on a forum saying "my battery is better", which is completely meaningless.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
You're trying to say something is confirmed, when there is nothing's suggested to confirm iOS 10 has worse battery than iOS 9.

Even though what you're saying is true about the test performed, it offers more insight than someone on a forum saying "my battery is better", which is completely meaningless.

That test pegs the CPU. It doesn't show how well the OS handles background tasks. How efficiently it handles apps. Hell if there were a standby battery drain, you wouldn't even notice it. It is what it is. A synthetic test.

Pretty much everyone on this thread have noticed a drop in battery life when going to iOS 10. My usage patterns didn't change. I noticed a 1.5 hour drop when I updated to iOS 10.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That test pegs the CPU. It doesn't show how well the OS handles background tasks. How efficiently it handles apps. Hell if there were a standby battery drain, you wouldn't even notice it. It is what it is. A synthetic test.

Pretty much everyone on this thread have noticed a drop in battery life when going to iOS 10. My usage patterns didn't change. I noticed a 1.5 hour drop when I updated to iOS 10.
So basically not everyone in this thread, with this thread representing a tiny portion of forum users who represent an even tinier portion of iOS users.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007

I guess I'm lucky that my 6s has had great battery life on iOS 10 and my new 7+ has the best battery life I've ever had on an iPhone.

Every OS there are threads like this. Most people that complain do not set their phones as new. Each year my phone is set as new and I don't have battery issues.

Potus325

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
I guess I'm lucky that my 6s has had great battery life on iOS 10 and my new 7+ has the best battery life I've ever had on an iPhone.

Every OS there are threads like this. Most people that complain do not set their phones as new. Each year my phone is set as new and I don't have battery issues.

I'd set me phone as new but I'd loose all my texts and I want to keep them. If there was a way apple would allow us to reinstall our texts and iMessages I'd always set up as new.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015

And every OS there are people who discount other people's experience that something just became much worse. I DID set my phone as new, and got exactly these results. And I only came looking here because it was so signficantly worse than before that I was wondering what happened...
[doublepost=1475351897][/doublepost]Just looked at the video. The 6s was obviously a TSMC one (Samsung never got such high geekbench scores). So maybe only Samsung users have problems. That would explain why not everybody is affected.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Yes. Everyone's. The people who are saying it's the same as iOS 9, are not noticing it.
Exactly or to be fair they just don't care. 2 members of my own family are using ios 10 and they haven't complained about any battery issues, to be fair they are more busy using whatsapp and using their devices than checking a battery metter.

However each one of us is entitled to have an opinion. If that people think is better good for them to be sincere, personally i don't believe them and i'm not referring to the last iphone 7 model nor the plus models but pretty much the previous ones though, me i can only speak for my devices iphone 6s, ipad air 2, ipod touch 6 all affected period.
[doublepost=1475352565][/doublepost]
And every OS there are people who discount other people's experience that something just became much worse. I DID set my phone as new, and got exactly these results. And I only came looking here because it was so signficantly worse than before that I was wondering what happened...
[doublepost=1475351897][/doublepost]Just looked at the video. The 6s was obviously a TSMC one (Samsung never got such high geekbench scores). So maybe only Samsung users have problems. That would explain why not everybody is affected.

TMC people are also affected, one or two persons mentioned that here posts above.
[doublepost=1475352733][/doublepost]
So basically not everyone in this thread, with this thread representing a tiny portion of forum users who represent an even tinier portion of iOS users.

and if you don't mind if you don't have the problem why are you here then? Don't get me wrong you are free to post wherever you want but i don't know, it feels like you want to deny/diminish us, not nice.

Perhaps your point is to state that not everybody using ios 10 is affected and i agree with you, is impossible to know that specially on a brand new iphone 7 (which i personally believe it is not affected because its their main product right now).

[doublepost=1475352918][/doublepost]
Nope.

This isn't very scientific, remember. Both phones being tested will have different capacity based on previous usage. It is, however, an indication that iOS 10 has, at minimum, similar battery usage compared to iOS 9.

That test doesn't take in consideration the new raise to wake lock feature, not a complete test imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nisaja

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
And every OS there are people who discount other people's experience that something just became much worse. I DID set my phone as new, and got exactly these results. And I only came looking here because it was so signficantly worse than before that I was wondering what happened.
I'm not discounting your experience, but rather that each OS impacts people differently. You have completely different settings / apps, so our experiences will be different. With your setup, you are experiencing lower battery life. With mine, I'm seeing the same or better. Even though we have different results, we can both be correct.

Setting your phone as new reduces the possibility of software corruption, but does not guarantee better results. For example, if you're a Facebook user and the Facebook app is causing abnormal drain on iOS 10, it is irrelevant whether you set up as new, as you'll see lower battery life regardless.
[doublepost=1475353533][/doublepost]
Exactly or to be fair they just don't care. 2 members of my own family are using ios 10 and they haven't complained about any battery issues, to be fair they are more busy using whatsapp and using their devices than checking a battery metter.

However each one of us is entitled to have an opinion. If that people think is better good for them to be sincere, personally i don't believe them and i'm not referring to the last iphone 7 model nor the plus models but pretty much the previous ones though, me i can only speak for my devices iphone 6s, ipad air 2, ipod touch 6 all affected period.
[doublepost=1475352565][/doublepost]

TMC people are also affected, one or two persons mentioned that here posts above.
[doublepost=1475352733][/doublepost]

and if you don't mind if you don't have the problem why are you here then? Don't get me wrong you are free to post wherever you want but i don't know, it feels like you want to deny/diminish us, not nice.
[doublepost=1475352918][/doublepost]

That test doesn't take in consideration the new raise to wake lock feature, not a complete test imo.
No test will take everything into consideration, as it's impossible to account for all of the variables. If anything it tests the amount of battery your phone will endure if you use your phone for heavy tasks like gaming or encoding.

Reactions: decafjava

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I'm not discounting your experience, but rather that each OS impacts people differently. You have completely different settings / apps, so our experiences will be different. With your setup, you are experiencing lower battery life. With mine, I'm seeing the same or better. Even though we have different results, we can both be correct.

Setting your phone as new reduces the possibility of software corruption, but does not guarantee better results. For example, if you're a Facebook user and the Facebook app is causing abnormal drain on iOS 10, it is irrelevant whether you set up as new, as you'll see lower battery life regardless.
[doublepost=1475353533][/doublepost]
No test will take everything into consideration, as it's impossible to account for all of the variables. If anything it tests the amount of battery your phone will endure if you use your phone for heavy tasks like gaming or encoding.

Still i'm not sure about that, i mean the battery test section on geekbench was removed recently the new and current version of geekbench 4 doesn't include it anymore, why? i dunno but there most be an important reason, i can speculate of course...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.