Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
What apps are you all using? Any video streaming? I deleted the Facebook app on my 6s Plus and that helped me end the day with around 40%.

My 7+ has the Facebook app installed and I use it regularly and I end the day at or around 55%.

The A10 chip in the new iPhone contributes to that a lot as my new phone uses the low power cores most of the time.

If you do use the Facebook app, I notice closing it out when you're done using it helps too. (Also make sure background app refresh is off too)
Agree about closing Facebook, and fb messenger in the app switcher if you don't plan on using them for a while. Doing this they have no impact on my iPhones battery that's noticeable at all.

Russtopher

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2016
Pacific Northwest
Agree about closing Facebook, and fb messenger in the app switcher if you don't plan on using them for a while. Doing this they have no impact on my iPhones battery that's noticeable at all.

Is pushing the home button adequate for closing Facebook & Facebook Messenger? Is there a better way?

Thanks
[doublepost=1483387969][/doublepost]
Is pushing the home button adequate for closing Facebook & Facebook Messenger? Is there a better way?

Thanks

App switcher?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

Thanks
[doublepost=1483387969][/doublepost]

App switcher?

Double click your home button. Slide up on all open screens to close or click on one to open/toggle between apps.

Background refresh off and force close (Slide up) apps in app switcher.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Cool. Thanks. Merely pushing the home button back to the home screen does not shut down Facebook, etc?
You leave an app when you do that but an app can still perform things in the background. Most apps might do a bit of work if something needs to be finished up and that's it, other apps could run longer and thus use up more battery/resources.

PictorGuy

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2016
Seattle
Sorry I can't do a personal comparison between the two phones but they look quite closely matched with the 6s plus having a longer standby time and the 7 longer wifi browsing time

View attachment 681145
[doublepost=1483262038][/doublepost]
Have you tried adjusting settings to a more battery saving set up?
I can quite easily get 1 day out of my three year old battery in my 5s and 2 days out of my iPhone 7

I've tried, yes. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem since my 6 and 6s could previously go over a day before iOS 10.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have a 6s - for a 15 hour day I use about 30-35% battery. I'm on a good wifi signal most of the day. In the past I've found that WIFI use seems to use much less battery life than cellular - but then most don't have a choice what network you can use. I don't run FB on my phone - because of battery life issues and because I don't trust FB to not steal and sell everything on my phone but that is just my opinion.

But I have what I think is great battery life

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
The first thing I do when my battery life goes haywire is do a clean reset, set it up as a new iPhone, charge it up to full and use it like normal. Check SoT after 20% drain and estimate overall battery usage over the entire battery. If I've used 20% of my battery with anything less than an hour and a half of SoT, then I'd head up to an Apple store and get it checked out.

It could simply be an app keeping location services live all the time. Check those settings, see if it looks like something is keeping it pegged.

People who think iOS 10 is the sole factor of bad battery life do not understand how these devices work, and everything that factors into battery life. I've seen people complain about their battery life, and I'll ask them how long it has been since they have reset their device (done a factory reset), and they'll look at me like I'm stupid. I'll further explain what I mean, and they'll tell me they've never done that in the 3 years they've owned the device.

So before you blame an "update" to your OS for your poor battery life, you should at least do a factory reset and set your device up as a new device (don't restore from a backup, that's going to bring in any settings back that may be contributing), and see how it performs then.

Interesting...

I have an iPhone 6, and I frequently use Uber Partner app alongside Waze and Gmaps with Music app playing in my car, connected to a USB interface which acts as a slow charger. On iOS 9.3.5 that ran for a few months, the battery charges on a slow rate, seeing the battery percentage rising steadily.

However, ever since I've installed iOS 10.2 clean slate without any backups, running exactly the same set of apps, I can see my battery percentage slowly decreasing despite plugging onto the USB interface and charging. Clean slate just couple of weeks back, no restoration of backups whatsoever.

So by your analogy I should blame myself for upgrading to iOS 10 right...? :rolleyes:

I'd rather believe Apple screwed up big time on battery when it comes to iOS 10 and macOS Sierra.

Reactions: addamas

Dark storm Phoenix

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2017
I have a iPhone 6 it was running iOS 9.3.3 then updated to 9.3.5 no issues I could go all day using the same apps, I updated to 10.1 and had a few lock ups and freezes so I updated to 10.1.1 since then I have encountered the 30% to 1% bug.
So I reset and setup the phone as new and still the same issue persisted..
I purchased a new battery and it worked fine for 1 day before losing insane battery 95-55% in a call lasting no longer than 30minutes. Same as the older battery that I replaced
So I updated to 10.2.1 and now I get unexpected shutdowns at any percentage mostly about 35-65% I plug the lighting cable in and the battery will jump back to where it was or sometimes higher.
I have no Bluetooth on nor background refresh no fb only mainly calls and what's app odd YouTube video

Please help I've reset this iPhone so many times now.
Only firmware that I should of kept on was 10.1 beta 4 I had no issues or shut downs at all
I've sent diagnostics via the beta and apple replied saying send more logs so fingers crossed 10.2.1 fixes it or 10.3
I've checked both battery's at. Friends using coconut battery
Older one 299 cycles 90
New one 15 cycles 100

kelly-wilkerson

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2017
Chandler, AZ
what did you do with this program?
what program did you use?
please explain us!

I wrote the program scriptkitten mentioned. We have a few different tools :) the specific program is Decipher Phone Refresh. It takes in a backup made with iTunes, and helps you make a "filtered" backup (cloning the original, not editing it) with only the data/apps you select. That way you get to keep your important stuff, but start fresh without all of the settings and cruft that sometimes bogs down the iPhone and causes battery drain. Kind of like the best of both worlds of starting fresh, but not having to start from scratch :)

It's a little spammy/icky to post a link to my own stuff here, but searching on Decipher Phone Refresh will get you to us.

Also, public service announcement: if you are going to back up and wipe your device to help with battery (whether you're using DPR or not!), be sure not to interrupt or cancel an encrypted backup. There's some bugs that happen in iOS 10 backups when you do this.

Donga120

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
UK
Here is mine. 6S+, awful. I would take it to Apple, it was on 33% health at one point but the moment I take it to Apple it will shoot upto 90%!

NOTE: battery says 53% but it is actually 71% when I checked with Coconut Battery and Health is at 77%
IMG_3494.PNG

battery.png

IMG_3496.JPG

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Here is mine. 6S+, awful. I would take it to Apple, it was on 33% health at one point but the moment I take it to Apple it will shoot upto 90%!

NOTE: battery says 53% but it is actually 71% when I checked with Coconut Battery and Health is at 77%
View attachment 682278

View attachment 682285

View attachment 682284
Looking at your last picture it seems your battery health is reporting unstable since updating to 10.2.1 beta?
If this is indeed the case try deleting the beta profile from your phone then restoring back to 10.2 on iTunes and see if that fixes it.

Donga120

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
UK
Looking at your last picture it seems your battery health is reporting unstable since updating to 10.2.1 beta?
If this is indeed the case try deleting the beta profile from your phone then restoring back to 10.2 on iTunes and see if that fixes it.

It was the same on 10.2 release, battery on phone would go from 50% to 20% in less than 10 mins but coconut battery shows 50% still remaining, health would drop between 30-90%... at the moment it is showing 97%, coconut battery says 93.4% and 80% health. A hard reset usually fixes the battery. I'm going to have to take it to apple. Obviously restore back to 10.2.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
ordered a new iPhone 7, lets hope the battery is better on this one. Everyone pray for me hahah
I couldn't take the bad battery life on my 6s anymore, so I bought a Jet Black iPhone 7. Battery life has been pretty amazing so far. I set it up as new because I didn't wanna take any chances. Very impressed.
5780c9e5fef2d993bd17843a63d9a01f.png

I know it solved your problem, but rewarding Apple for a poorly written OS by buying a new phone gives them zero incentive to improve. Heck, they probably dream everybody with an 6 or 6s just give up and buys a new device.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
It was the same on 10.2 release, battery on phone would go from 50% to 20% in less than 10 mins but coconut battery shows 50% still remaining, health would drop between 30-90%... at the moment it is showing 97%, coconut battery says 93.4% and 80% health. A hard reset usually fixes the battery. I'm going to have to take it to apple. Obviously restore back to 10.2.

Your battery is defective.

r0aritsieuan

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
2nd day of my new iPhone 7 after the battery was awful on my last one, it's doing a lot better than my last. How's this one looking ??? Could get to 8:50 hours to 1%

Attachments

• IMG_0039.PNG
    IMG_0039.PNG
    282.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0040.PNG
    IMG_0040.PNG
    255.9 KB · Views: 204

r0aritsieuan

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Depends on your settings brightness etc but that certainly doesn't look faulty or anything.

Auto-brightness so has been up and down all day, most settings are off. Downloaded a few apps on wifi as well. Incredible happy with my result thank god! Thanks Deano for your help also

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Auto-brightness so has been up and down all day, most settings are off. Downloaded a few apps on wifi as well. Incredible happy with my result thank god! Thanks Deano for your help also
Well downloading and installing apps drains the battery twice as fast as safari browsing etc and you can probably add an a bit more usage on top of what you've got if you turn auto brightness off and manually set it on the lower half of the scale.. so I would say your new phone is doing ok all things considered ;)

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Tonight my phone dropped to 93 from 100 percent overnight. It showed 17 minutes of usage and 8 hours and 22 minutes of standby.

When I was between watches the phone would never do this. I can't make it through a day when connected to the watch either, I have to put the bluetooth off on the phone to stop the drain. This is with my new series 2 watch though, so it is not the watches fault. It also happens with other iPhones. So I am really not sure what is going on.

Also; when I checked my battery it said 93, when I checked it again an hour later it said 90. Annoying stuff. I don't want the thing to drop so hard. In my experience it drops to 54 quite quickly and then does a few slow drops before picking up the pace again. It can stay at 1 percent for around 1 hour though. (without usage and with the watch actively being used)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.