Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
how can you people stand these "coverless notch" protectors?
for one, not including the notch area itself just looks UGLY.
and besides, i feel much safer when the notch area is also protected.
i put a whole screen protector and it looks FAR more elegant,
and not interfering with the TrueDepth system at all.

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
Okay so I got a yes and a no answer for this lol thanks anyhow
I just checked my receipt and I was charged £29.95 for the installed glass, whereas it was £19.95 for the glass without install. They have a separate stock for the machine installed glass which is packaged differently. I mistakenly ordered the £19.95 glass for in-store pickup but then found out it's not the same one they use to install it so I cancelled that pickup and bought the one in-store.

Maybe it's priced differently depending on where you live.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
how can you people stand these "coverless notch" protectors?
for one, not including the notch area itself just looks UGLY.
and besides, i feel much safer when the notch area is also protected.
i put a whole screen protector and it looks FAR more elegant,
and not interfering with the TrueDepth system at all.

That's good to know.

When I was selecting mine, some reports of protectors that cover the notch area were either collecting dust, as they are not truly flat or directly on top of the glass. Or they were painted with cut-outs for the sensors, and the cut-outs were not always perfectly aligned. I didn't want to deal with those issues, and didn't mind the notch cut-out.

On top of that, the guaranteed perfect install without dust or alignment issues was worth the time and money for me.

Reactions: roeiz and Daranx

Auszero

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
Mine has cracked after 3 days. It was in my hoodie pocket with a plastic car key. I've got to say Im pretty disappointed. I had a friend who had his crack too and had to go through Belkin to get a replacement. Im hoping to get a refund from Apple.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Mine has cracked after 3 days. It was in my hoodie pocket with a plastic car key. I've got to say Im pretty disappointed. I had a friend who had his crack too and had to go through Belkin to get a replacement. Im hoping to get a refund from Apple.

so why is it so expensive ffs?
most Chinese 3D's cost 9$ and are excellent for their worth.

Manny21

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Which of the belkin glass that apple offers is better? The invisible glass one or the anti glare glass one? Going to Dallas in a week and a half, and might have them install one for me, seems they do a great job on installing and heard it’s rare to get dust specks due to them cleaning it very good and using the belkin tape which covers the phone and putting the machine for a very well alignment, I have a screen protector no dust specks but had to use scotch tape to take some off and unfortunately messed up the edge, it doesn’t bother me a lot because its not the actual screen but would like to have a screen protector that looks nice on my X.

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Which of the belkin glass that apple offers is better? The invisible glass one or the anti glare glass one? Going to Dallas in a week and a half, and might have them install one for me, seems they do a great job on installing and heard it’s rare to get dust specks due to them cleaning it very good and using the belkin tape which covers the phone and putting the machine for a very well alignment, I have a screen protector no dust specks but had to use scotch tape to take some off and unfortunately messed up the edge, it doesn’t bother me a lot because its not the actual screen but would like to have a screen protector that looks nice on my X.
Get the Invisible Glass. I bought my iPhone X from AT&T, it was unboxed and I took it to Apple Store. I bought the screen protector for $39.99 plus tax. They installed it for free using a machine while I waited. They unwrapped the original plastic protector then set the iPhone X on the machine. They didn't even use the sticky tape that comes with the screen protector to remove the dust.

Anyone here took their unboxed iPhone X to Apple Store for the Belkin glass screen protector installation?
Did they use the Belkin tape that came with the screen protector or they just unwrapped the original screen protector?

NOTE: I was mad at first that they didn't use the tape that came with it because I felt I paid a lot of money for it. When I got home, I realized you don't need the tape because the original plastic that wraps the iPhone X is vacuum sealed to the front and back glass...no fingerprints and dust.

Manny21

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Get the Invisible Glass. I bought my iPhone X from AT&T, it was unboxed and I took it to Apple Store. I bought the screen protector for $39.99 plus tax. They installed it for free using a machine while I waited. They unwrapped the original plastic protector then set the iPhone X on the machine. They didn't even use the sticky tape that comes with the screen protector to remove the dust.

Anyone here took their unboxed iPhone X to Apple Store for the Belkin glass screen protector installation?
Did they use the Belkin tape that came with the screen protector or they just unwrapped the original screen protector?

NOTE: I was mad at first that they didn't use the tape that came with it because I felt I paid a lot of money for it. When I got home, I realized you don't need the tape because the original plastic that wraps the iPhone X is vacuum sealed to the front and back glass...no fingerprints and dust.

Yea they probably use it if the phone is off of it... Thats good it has no specks behind screen protector. If I get chance while in Dallas I’ll stop by a Apple store so they can install it

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
I hope so, I’m ocd with dust specks and all just want a good screen protector with no specks lol
[doublepost=1513327204][/doublepost]

Which one is the better one the ultra or the regular InvisiGlass
The Ulta is better and cost $39.99. This is what most people buy at the Apple Store.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
The Ulta is better and cost $39.99. This is what most people buy at the Apple Store.
Ultra invisible glass is not better. It is the worst. It cracks without any causes after a while. It appears Apple has unlisted the ultra from their accessory line online.

Manny21

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Ultra invisible glass is not better. It is the worst. It cracks without any causes after a while. It appears Apple has unlisted the ultra from their accessory line online.

So I get the other one then?? Which one you recommend??

djrm

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Norwich, UK
DO NOT BUY THIS! On my fifth one now, phone never been dropped or abused. Apple are replacing them free of charge each time but it’s stupid now, if it happens again I’ll just get a refund. Rubbish product

Manny21

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
DO NOT BUY THIS! On my fifth one now, phone never been dropped or abused. Apple are replacing them free of charge each time but it’s stupid now, if it happens again I’ll just get a refund. Rubbish product

Lol
[doublepost=1513519341][/doublepost]I’m using sparin glass but the edge messed up cause had to use tape to take out dust underneath the protector.. Doesn’t bother me a lot but rather have a nice protector and seems at apple stores they put them with no dusts underneath..... About the regular tempered glass one from Belkin does that one crack easily?

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Lol
[doublepost=1513519341][/doublepost]I’m using sparin glass but the edge messed up cause had to use tape to take out dust underneath the protector.. Doesn’t bother me a lot but rather have a nice protector and seems at apple stores they put them with no dusts underneath..... About the regular tempered glass one from Belkin does that one crack easily?
Yup...Apple Store installs it perfectly alligned and no dust (you can ask to redo it if you see one).
Also, the edges are really sealed when applied with their machine. Dust doesn't get stuck or get caught on the edges. I have couple of co-workers they're impressed with it because everyday they have to use a scotch tape to remove the dust that got stuck on the edges of their screen protector. I'm happy with mine!

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
Yup...Apple Store installs it perfectly alligned and no dust (you can ask to redo it if you see one).
Also, the edges are really sealed when applied with their machine. Dust doesn't get stuck or get caught on the edges. I have couple of co-workers they're impressed with it because everyday they have to use a scotch tape to remove the dust that got stuck on the edges of their screen protector. I'm happy with mine!

Agreed! The installation machine is awesome! I had Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra Screen protector installed with the machine at the Apple Store. Perfect install...perfectly aligned and no dust, smudges or anything. Highly recommended.

Manny21

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017

Which you got the Ultra or the anti glare one??
[doublepost=1513532441][/doublepost]
Agreed! The installation machine is awesome! I had Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra Screen protector installed with the machine at the Apple Store. Perfect install...perfectly aligned and no dust, smudges or anything. Highly recommended.

No cracks?

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Which you got the Ultra or the anti glare one??
[doublepost=1513532441][/doublepost]

No cracks?
Ultra and no cracks. Don't worry, they'll clean your iPhone very well with Whoosh! screen cleaner. Then they'll apply a large tape on the screen before they place it on the machine. Just be careful with it just like any other glass screen protector.

Last edited:

Manny21

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Ok, I’m going to Dallas next weekend and planning to go to Apple store so I can get it installed

Reactions: rperalta

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I honestly don't see any advantage to these frangible, thick glass "protectors". I use PET film protectors that are easy to replace, scratch resistant, and oleophobic. They are much thinner than any glass "protector" and protect against impact at least as well if not better.

Last edited:

illmatic41

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
I honestly don't see any advantage to these frangible, thick glass "protectors". I use PET film protectors that are easy to replace, scratch resistant, and oleophobic. They are much thinner than any glass "protector" and protect against impact at last as well if not better.

The advantage of glass "protectors" is really the feel. PET will never feel like real glass. Protection wise I don't know which is better, but I would think a glass protector would absorb the energy of an impact more than the PET film would being that the glass is thicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.