Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaiThePirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
Greetings,,

I have a mid-2014 MBP and installed Big Sur this morning. Sadly the dreaded random shutdown issue with AppleThunderboltNHI.kext is still present. In previous versions of macOS, we just needed to go into Recovery Mode, open a Terminal and rename the .kext file and reboot. Now, I guess with Big Sur there are "sealed volumes" and this makes the previous steps moot.

Any suggestions or instructions out there that will aid in taking care of this? I'm not totally Terminal saavy, so a little hand holding would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Kai

lrlazarov

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
I am following this topic as well. Just like Kai, I upgraded to Big Sur this morning and thought the tried and tested applethunderboltNHI.kext solution would still work. Unfortunately, it seems that’s no longer the case.

Let’s hope some of the terminal wizards here will come up with a workaround.

*Puts on the tin hat* Do you think Apple won’t fix that issue on purpose to make you upgrade your laptop? It’ so bizarre that the problem is persisting for 3+ years now.

KaiThePirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
I was able to get the file renamed and then "blessed" a new boot snapshot, but my MBP is still shutting down within a minute. I'm not going to waste any more time with Big Sur again until there is a known, working solution to this that doesn't involve replacing a circuit board or entire machine.

I have re-installed the base OS (Yosemite) from an online recovery and installing Catalina so I can get back up and running.

sf9875

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Same here : deleted the kext module from the os snapshot :
- csrutil authenticate-root disable
- mount -uw /Volume/MacOS (my root location).
- mv (or delete)
- bless --folder .. -bootuefi ..

Result : no more NHI kext on the OS snapshot.
kextstat show :
74 0 0xffffff800195e000 0x30000 0x30000 com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI (7.2.8) 168F92F4-327C-31D5-9B2A-97ECA33BED83 <73 14 13 7 6 5 3 1>

Seams that Apple has embedded the module in the kernel -> I will open a case and revert to Catalina ...

sf9875

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Ok. Found this morning how to proceed with Big Sur.

1. Reboot in rescue mode (reboot while "Cmd + R")
2. csrutil disable
3. csrutil authenticated-root disable
4. mount -uw /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]
5. delete (or rename, or move elsewhere) the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext directory (I've moved all thunderbolt kext directories since I have no needs about this interface, but I think it works only by disabling AppleThunderboltNHI)
6. REBUILD the extensions cache ! (new has-to-do in Big Sur...)

kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]

7. DON'T FORGET to create another system snapshot to take these modifications under account at next reboot

bless --folder /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot

8. reboot (in rescue mode). This step may be unnecessary, not tested straight to 9.
9. csrutil enable
10. Reboot
11. Enjoy. Cheers..

KaiThePirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
Ok... After going back to Catalina, Everything was smooth and I never renamed the .kext file. Interestingly, I never experienced the random shut down. Yesterday, I decided to give Big Sur one more time and had the instructions listed above printed out and ready to go.

Update went smooth and I have yet to have have a shutdown happen. I still haven't done anything mentioned above, but have them ready if needed.

sodhi07

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
Ok... After going back to Catalina, Everything was smooth and I never renamed the .kext file. Interestingly, I never experienced the random shut down. Yesterday, I decided to give Big Sur one more time and had the instructions listed above printed out and ready to go.

Update went smooth and I have yet to have have a shutdown happen. I still haven't done anything mentioned above, but have them ready if needed.
Even I looking for the correct fix for BIG SUR... tried all the methods mentioned above but hard luck :(
Tried fresh installing Big Sur at least three times. Got so frustrated that had to shift back to Catalina. These thunderbolt kext files are getting on my nerves now. Please do reply if you find correct fix for this **** !!

sodhi07

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
nope !! doesn't work :(
Ok. Found this morning how to proceed with Big Sur.

2. csrutil disable
4. mount -uw /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]
5. delete (or rename, or move elsewhere) the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext directory (I've moved all thunderbolt kext directories since I have no needs about this interface, but I think it works only by disabling AppleThunderboltNHI)
6. REBUILD the extensions cache ! (new has-to-do in Big Sur...)

kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]

7. DON'T FORGET to create another system snapshot to take these modifications under account at next reboot

bless --folder /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot

8. reboot (in rescue mode). This step may be unnecessary, not tested straight to 9.
9. csrutil enable
10. Reboot
11. Enjoy. Cheers..

notgoingoutside

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
also, can you please mention the exact steps you performed here? will be easier for me .. thanks in advance brother :)
I got this to work for me if I exclude this step. csrutil enable. What is the impact of leaving this security feature disabled?

sodhi07

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
alright ... let me try it tonight, and then get back to you.. :) Thank you in advance. And you mean ... we have to keep csrutil disabled or enabled ?
I got this to work for me if I exclude this step. csrutil enable. What is the impact of leaving this security feature disabled?

notgoingoutside

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
cool.. let me get it started now.. :) Wish me luck :-D
also .. can you please tell me the exact steps .. u can mail it to me at himmatsodhi.office@gmail.com
I am quiet not able to understand this YOUR CUSTOM STUFF thing here... need to get a specific detail... :)
In my case my volume is named MacIntosh HD. I believe you need a slash for the space. For example:

mount -uw /Volumes/MacIntosh\ HD

To find your Volume name you can run diskutil list

sodhi07

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
In my case my volume is named MacIntosh HD. I believe you need a slash for the space. For example:

mount -uw /Volumes/MacIntosh\ HD

To find your Volume name you can run diskutil list
one last question. how to delete or move these kext files in terminal? not able to do it ...can u please tell me what exactly to write in terminal window for this ?

sodhi07

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
one last question. how to delete or move these kext files in terminal? not able to do it ...can u please tell me what exactly to write in terminal window for this ?
also one strange thing i've noticed. This was in catalina too. If i install google chrome, then MB gets instant shut down .... totally weird it is :(

notgoingoutside

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
make sure you are in the following directory

cd /Volumes/MacIntosh\ HD/System/Libraries/Extensions

mv AppleThunderboltNHI.kext AppleThunderboltNHI_kext.bak

I think Chrome just makes the crash symptoms appear quicker. I've noticed that as well. Just anecdotal evidence though.

sodhi07

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020

I think Chrome just makes the crash symptoms appear quicker. I've noticed that as well. Just anecdotal evidence though.
Damn...!! Hard luck..even after doing it all.. thunderbolt drivers are still being loaded... and shut down is still happening 😢😢😭😭

sodhi07

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020

Damn...!! Hard luck..even after doing it all.. thunderbolt drivers are still being loaded... and shut down is still happening 😢😢😭😭
Greetings,,

I have a mid-2014 MBP and installed Big Sur this morning. Sadly the dreaded random shutdown issue with AppleThunderboltNHI.kext is still present. In previous versions of macOS, we just needed to go into Recovery Mode, open a Terminal and rename the .kext file and reboot. Now, I guess with Big Sur there are "sealed volumes" and this makes the previous steps moot.

Any suggestions or instructions out there that will aid in taking care of this? I'm not totally Terminal saavy, so a little hand holding would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Kai

Ok Guys So Here’s the FIX with BIG SUR

I did few modifications with whatever was available on internet to solve this problem

Step 6 & 7 are few modifications which I did.

Here it goes

Reboot in recovery mode (CMD+R)

1. Utilities -> Terminal
  2. csrutil disable
  4. mount - uw /Volumes/Macos (Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)
  5. cd /Volumes/Macos (Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)/System/Library/Extensions
  6. rm -rf AppleThunderboltNHI.kext
  7. rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
  8. Kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/Macos (Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)/System/Library/Extensions
  9. bless -folder /Volumes/Macos(Enter WHATEVER YOUR MACOS DRIVE NAME IS, my macOS drive name is Macos)/System/Library/CoreServices —bootefi --create-snapshot

FORGET THE PROBLEM :-D

You’ll need to perform these steps every time you update Big sur with their security updates n all.

No need to enable SIP

Have a good life :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 4.29.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 4.29.10 AM.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 765

tough.hard.together

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
Hello there, i am new to the community and i have this problem too, i dont have much knowledge about Terminal stuff but maybe you could help me out fixing the problem.

2. csrutil disable

Theese Steps went well so far, i restarted as needed and loged into my Admin Account. I opened the Terminal and tried following.

As mentioned i used the command
1. df & diskutli list to show all Harddrives
2. i tried to figure out what the right Harddrive would be to mount

- Apple SSD SM0512 F is my main Harddrive (System is running on that partition)
- Workspace is my Harddrive for Programms like (Adobe, C4d and so on)
- Seagate HDD is my External Harddrive (ignorable)

3.a. mount -uw /Volumes/Apple\ SSD\ SM0512F
- Error pops up unknown special file or file system /Volumes/Apple SSD SM0512F.
3.b. mount -uw /disk1s5
- same error
3.c. mount -uw /dev/disk1s1
- volume could not be mounted: Operation not permitted mount: /System/Volumes/Data failed with 77 (sometimes also with 66)

any ideas what i need to do how rename the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext (i know that error is causing my crashes) the old fix on Catalina and High Sierra worked well on my Macbook.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-19 um 00.19.02.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-19 um 00.19.46.png

Yes i also tried theese commands in the Terminal at the Recovery mode, same issues. I would be Happy about detailed help. Like i said this is all so confusing to me, i am getting sick of that Terminal Window, sorry Media Designer eyes. I am not even sure if i trie to mount the right harddrive.

Thanks alot already and have a nice day.

sodhi07

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
You are doing it wrong.
if you have your OS installed on Daten then you have to type this
mount -uw /Volumes/Daten
and please perform this action from Recovery Mode (Reboot with Power on button and then press CMD+R)
Hello there, i am new to the community and i have this problem too, i dont have much knowledge about Terminal stuff but maybe you could help me out fixing the problem.

2. csrutil disable

Theese Steps went well so far, i restarted as needed and loged into my Admin Account. I opened the Terminal and tried following.

As mentioned i used the command
1. df & diskutli list to show all Harddrives
2. i tried to figure out what the right Harddrive would be to mount

- Apple SSD SM0512 F is my main Harddrive (System is running on that partition)
- Workspace is my Harddrive for Programms like (Adobe, C4d and so on)
- Seagate HDD is my External Harddrive (ignorable)

3.a. mount -uw /Volumes/Apple\ SSD\ SM0512F
- Error pops up unknown special file or file system /Volumes/Apple SSD SM0512F.
3.b. mount -uw /disk1s5
- same error
3.c. mount -uw /dev/disk1s1
- volume could not be mounted: Operation not permitted mount: /System/Volumes/Data failed with 77 (sometimes also with 66)

any ideas what i need to do how rename the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext (i know that error is causing my crashes) the old fix on Catalina and High Sierra worked well on my Macbook.

View attachment 1673008

View attachment 1673009

Yes i also tried theese commands in the Terminal at the Recovery mode, same issues. I would be Happy about detailed help. Like i said this is all so confusing to me, i am getting sick of that Terminal Window, sorry Media Designer eyes. I am not even sure if i trie to mount the right harddrive.

Thanks alot already and have a nice day.

tough.hard.together

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
If I try it with Daten I got another problem. In Daten/System/Library is no Extensions folder this folder is in

Apple SSD SM0512F/System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext

See screenshot here
C21A3105-A047-46C8-AC56-04254CF0A8ED.jpeg

It should be right or not?, sorry if I did something wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.