Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admiralali

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2021
Installed the latest Big Sur update 11.7.3 on my MacBook Pro (2014 model) a few minutes just before posting this, and still worked for me. sorry for my typo in my previous post. My OS volume is "MACOS" so make sure you change that in the steps below:

Reboot in rescue mode (CMD + R)

Open TERMINAL app, and type the following (in exact order):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$ csrutil disable

$ csrutil authenticated-root disable

$ mount -uw /Volumes/MACOS

$ cd /Volumes/MACOS//System/Library/Extensions

$ rm -rf AppleThunderboltNHI.kext

$ rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*

$ cd /Volumes/MACOS/System/Library/Extensions

$ kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/MACOS

$ kmutil clear-staging

$ kextcache -i /

$ bless --folder /Volumes/MACOS/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then just restart the device and you're good to go.

Reactions: MerCrow

MerCrow

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
Installed the latest Big Sur update 11.7.3 on my MacBook Pro (2014 model) a few minutes just before posting this, and still worked for me. sorry for my typo in my previous post. My OS volume is "MACOS" so make sure you change that in the steps below:

Reboot in rescue mode (CMD + R)

Open TERMINAL app, and type the following (in exact order):

$ csrutil disable

$ csrutil authenticated-root disable

$ mount -uw /Volumes/MACOS

$ cd /Volumes/MACOS//System/Library/Extensions

$ rm -rf AppleThunderboltNHI.kext

$ rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*

$ cd /Volumes/MACOS/System/Library/Extensions

$ kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/MACOS

$ kmutil clear-staging

$ kextcache -i /

$ bless --folder /Volumes/MACOS/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot

Then just restart the device and you're good to go.
Thank you, man! This worked perfectly for the latest Big Sur 11.7.9. And no need to remove IOThunderboltFamily, btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.