Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Woo-hoo! Just got back from giving Apple a ton of money!!! Replaced my Apple Watch and iPad finally. I've been too long without.

IMG_2280.jpg

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Oh my gosh, Actually iPad Pro 12.9" is 5"4 right? Gosh how terrible that is for watching movies? I was contented with the 4:3 on the old iPad Pro 12.9" but now 5"4 is much more closer to being square. The 11" is better i guess because it is has 1.43:1 and much closer to 16:9 or 1.78:1 than to square witch is 1:1.. (only (0.34 difference between 1.43:1 and 1.78:1)

Others people here saying that 1.43:1 is closer to square than to 1.78:1 lacks some mathematical skills huh?

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Oh my gosh, Actually iPad Pro 12.9" is 5"4 right? Gosh how terrible that is for watching movies? I was contented with the 4:3 on the old iPad Pro 12.9" but now 5"4 is much more closer to being square. The 11" is better i guess because it is has 1.43:1 and much closer to 16:9 or 1.78:1 than to square witch is 1:1.. (only (0.34 difference between 1.43:1 and 1.78:1)

Others people here saying that 1.43:1 is closer to square than to 1.78:1 lacks some mathematical skills huh?

12.9 is still 4:3. Only the 11 inch changed a bit.

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Every time I see an app being updated I get excited that it will resolve the aspect ratio problems but so many don’t.

So i’m now not using some apps, such as Facebook ( updated today but still didn’t fix aspect ratio ) it reminds me the original facebook app on the first gen iPad.. Facebook are heading backwards not forward!

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
You guys are missing the real question: Which version of pokemon let's go should you purchase? :D J.k. j.k.

back to main question,
Every day, i'm so excited to go the app store to see an app get an update and fix the issues. Even with the scaling API put in, if they don't do it correct, the bar on the bottom (Home button bar) takes up 3-10 pixels on the bottom and the top. When apps are properly optimized, we get that real estate back, at 11 inches, every pixel matters!!

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
You guys are missing the real question: Which version of pokemon let's go should you purchase? :D J.k. j.k.

back to main question,
Every day, i'm so excited to go the app store to see an app get an update and fix the issues. Even with the scaling API put in, if they don't do it correct, the bar on the bottom (Home button bar) takes up 3-10 pixels on the bottom and the top. When apps are properly optimized, we get that real estate back, at 11 inches, every pixel matters!!

No it does not. Only Americans Care about pixels or something like that of what u said. Both Europeans and Asians does not seem to bothered by pixels, they don’t judge gadgets that much only Americans demands for that while other races known have more patience. That is why they also age slower.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
No it does not. Only Americans Care about pixels or something like that of what u said. Both Europeans and Asians does not seem to bothered by pixels, they don’t judge gadgets that much only Americans demands for that while other races known have more patience. That is why they also age slower.

Ok.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK

Am Asian and sure as hell care about my pixels. A the same time, new aspect ratio, give the devs time.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Just want to put it out there, the new 11-inch iPad Pro doesn't only have a new resolution, but it also has a new aspect ratio, ditching iPad's infamous 4:3.

This means, almost every single iPad app will now need to be updated to the new aspect ratio, and we all know this will result in so many apps neglected and will result in massive black bars for so many apps.

The 12.9" iPad Pro is now the safe option if you want all apps to take advantage of the whole screen.

Check this video and look how terrible Rome: Total War (go to 12:10) and Affinity Photo (go to 13:05) look on the 11" iPad. This literally looks like the original iPad from 2010. Such a dumb move by Apple.

SO BUYER BEWARE.

I want to see this for myself!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’m sure apps will get updated to support the new resolution. Just wait a while.

The majority of apps now support the max but when it first came out most didn’t.

azulon1

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
I bought the iPad pro 11" but we knew this problem before it was shipped so when i got mine I went to the Apple store and exchange it with the 12.9"

I don’t know why Apple has to make this such a PITA. Just maintain aspect ratios. Be careful and cognizant when making changes which force developers to do anything. Especially when the change is honestly adding nothing positive. And I am not even sure about this dumb bar on the iPad at the bottom on 12.9, you see slightly less than previous gen 12.9. I don’t understand why swiping from the bottom bezel is not good enough.... we need a bar for what reason??? We were always able to swipe from app to app. So stupid it’s really annoying. I don’t know why My fellow Apple fans are just giving them a pass on what will be an excruciatingly annoying upgrade.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Hard to believe this thread. I really like the new aspect ratio on the 11” (which is due to keeping the size the same as the 10.5” but expanding the screen), I wish it was even more like a 3:2 ratio. The fact that apps need to be updated is not a a “flaw”. All of the main apps I use have been updated. The ones that haven’t are the ones that never get updated for iPad specific changes by companies that just don’t care. Even if Apple hadn’t changed the ratio you would have these bars but a little smaller.

Reactions: haruhiko

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008

azulon1

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
Hard to believe this thread. I really like the new aspect ratio on the 11” (which is due to keeping the size the same as the 10.5” but expanding the screen), I wish it was even more like a 3:2 ratio. The fact that apps need to be updated is not a a “flaw”. All of the main apps I use have been updated. The ones that haven’t are the ones that never get updated for iPad specific changes by companies that just don’t care. Even if Apple hadn’t changed the ratio you would have these bars but a little smaller.

Which is why the bars and aspect ratio changes are moronic. I mean I wouldn’t mind if there was a radical design goal in mind like the iPhone X or something. The iPad bar could be replaced by just swipe up from the bottom bezel. As far as the aspect ratio, it’s an intentional crime against the user experience.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
The aspect ratio change was clearly driven by a desire, while reducing bezels, to keep the length of the device broadly the same as any smaller would lead to a smaller Smart Keyboard which Apple were reluctant to do given the reception of the 10.5 one vs. the 9.7 one. So that lengthened the screen area. On the other hand they didn't want to increase the width similarly as that would have led to a more bulky device. So there was a rationale for the aspect ratio change, whether you agree with it or not.

Reactions: bcaslis

azulon1

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
The aspect ratio change was clearly driven by a desire, while reducing bezels, to keep the length of the device broadly the same as any smaller would lead to a smaller Smart Keyboard which Apple were reluctant to do given the reception of the 10.5 one vs. the 9.7 one. So that lengthened the screen area. On the other hand they didn't want to increase the width similarly as that would have led to a more bulky device. So there was a rationale for the aspect ratio change, whether you agree with it or not.

Products are all driven by trade offs. I think that screwing a million apps... well I think the best trade off would have been to make it a little wider. We are taking a minuscule amount here to match the 4:3 ratio

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Most of the apps i use have been updated already. I actually really like the new aspect ratio. Any wider, and you couldn’t type comfortably with your thumbs while holding it in portrait. I chose the 11” because i prefer the tablet feel. Even tho the new 12.9” is smaller and more holdable than last years model, it’s still more of a desktop laptop device in my opinion. Best suited to use with a keyboard when writing. What i love about the 11” is that i still can hold it in one hand comfortably and i can hold it with two hands and type with my thumbs in either portrait or landscape.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Everyone complains that Apple doesn't innovate, yet when they make a change everyone is up in arms. I really like the new aspect ratio. If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to buy an 11" iPad Pro.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I don’t know why Apple has to make this such a PITA. Just maintain aspect ratios. Be careful and cognizant when making changes which force developers to do anything. Especially when the change is honestly adding nothing positive. And I am not even sure about this dumb bar on the iPad at the bottom on 12.9, you see slightly less than previous gen 12.9. I don’t understand why swiping from the bottom bezel is not good enough.... we need a bar for what reason??? We were always able to swipe from app to app. So stupid it’s really annoying. I don’t know why My fellow Apple fans are just giving them a pass on what will be an excruciatingly annoying upgrade.
Totally agree on the GIANT home bar. I don’t get why it needs to be that big on iPad. Hell on every other iPad you can still swip up from the bezel and it woks just fine. First thing I noticed using them was that giant bar. No reason it needs to be much larger at all than what it is on the iPhone.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA

You are absolutely right no wander Apples sell and stock market are so bad, people keeps the old 6S,7,8 because they are happy with them and the new X doesn't give us any thing that will make them to switch,
for me the push bolton was more commutable then the swif up.
anther think that budder me is I use my new iPad pro 12.9", the pencil is used instead of my finger but to swif up to go home it doesn't work I have to swif only with my finger,

JP913

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
...anther think that budder me is I use my new iPad pro 12.9", the pencil is used instead of my finger but to swif up to go home it doesn't work I have to swif only with my finger,

Having to ‘swif’ up with your finger instead of the pencil is annoying to some people, I’m sure, but it’s necessary for us artists who draw on the whole screen. I wouldn’t want to be ‘swiffing’ with my pencil when I’m drawing on the edges.

And is it THAT HARD to switch from your pencil to your finger to ‘swif’? You don’t even have to put the pencil down to do that!

That said, I agree with the size of the bar AND it’s constant state of being ‘on.’ It’s definitely there for users who need help remembering how to get to the home screen or dock. I hope iOS 13 allows users to turn it on or off. I certainly don’t need a reminder on how to ‘swif’ to the dock.

Reactions: MEJHarrison
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.