Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Tim Cook thanks you.

Perhaps you missed this part of my post in your rush to say something clever (PS someone already beat you to that one):

"All the petty, snarky comments to my post are really a waste of time. You worry about your purchases and I'll go ahead and do the worrying for mine."

Repeating something stupid someone else already said hasn't really changed that point of view. Someone else repeating that stupid comment a third time won't change anything either. Just let it go. I don't care about you, your devices or your stupid opinion. If you want to have a conversation, I'm all ears. But if you just want to be a wise-ass, I'm not interested. Play your silly games elsewhere.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Its strange the Apps that updated the fastest. Weirdly my banking app had an update out day 1, CBS as well and pro create. All apps I would have thought might take a few weeks. Yet Netflix haven't done it yet. I thought they would be the fastest. its definitely the App I want to update the most.

Reactions: profets

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
In other news, after our fire insurance thing drug out for months (since July 9th), we're finally getting our insurance money this week. Which means I'll be getting a new iPad this week. After 4 months without, I'll take one even with the black bars. I can't wait to be annoyed by apps that haven't been updated!

I'm also replacing my Apple Watch. Oddly enough, I've missed it considerably more than my iPad.

The waiting sucked, but since both devices were rumored to get bigger screens this year, and Face ID on the iPad, I forced myself to wait on replacing them. Now it will finally pay off.

For those that might be interested, it wasn't the house that burned, but a detached garage. It had a carport that was nice to sit under and get fresh air during the summer months. That's why the iPad, Apple Watch and my nice headphones were "in the garage". They had been left charging while I went inside for a while. No one was hurt. The official cause is "unknown". Insurance will cover what we lost. Nothing was lost that would be considered irreplaceable, so we got lucky there. While it's been a long process, insurance did (or soon will) serve its purpose. Also, we got rid of a lot of junk, so silver lining there.

It wasn't all bad. I found ways to get by. ;)

IMG_5472.jpg

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
My new 12.9 has the same problem. Certain apps have black bars on the sides and the tops. It’s cutting about 1/2 inch from both sides.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
A touch of patience can take 2-3 years when you look at the history of the 6Plus. As an XS Max owner, there is still a surprisingly large number of apps, which haven't been updated to the newest resolution. Most of them won't see an update ever. Apple should push developers way harder to support all resolutions (maybe even with incentives). The whole laptop replacement narrative falls apart if you have unused black bars in your apps. The software is really holding this device back.
Apple put a March 2019 “line in sand” for developers to support the XS Max resolution.

Reactions: Jessen62a

fate0311

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
Mine doesn’t. Did you install the update?

ii can go full screen but it crops the video. if I use the Netflix default I still have "DVD" like bars above and below.
[doublepost=1542045717][/doublepost]example:

Attachments

• IMG_4782.JPG
    IMG_4782.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 439

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
ii can go full screen but it crops the video. if I use the Netflix default I still have "DVD" like bars above and below.
That’s not cropped, that’s a difference in aspect ratio. The video is full-width.
[doublepost=1542045987][/doublepost]For what you want, the device aspect ratio would have to match the aspect ratio of the video. And given that content isn’t consistent in aspect ratio, to get what you want, all the content makers - film and tv - would all have to change to use the same aspect ratio and then device makers would need to use that ratio. Not going to happen, and completely irrelevant for the topic of this thread.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
[doublepost=1542045717][/doublepost]example:

That's the problem you'll run into trying to fit one rectangle into a differently proportioned rectangle.

The option are:

1. Zoom in, but then you lose picture from the top and bottom or the sides, depending on the aspect ratio.
2. Stretch it (which I don't even believe is an option available in this case). In this case you'd get tall, thin people.
3. Black bars

There is no other way to solve the problem on an iPad with the sample you've provided.

Last edited:

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
That’s not cropped, that’s a difference in aspect ratio. The video is full-width.
[doublepost=1542045987][/doublepost]For what you want, the device aspect ratio would have to match the aspect ratio of the video. And given that content isn’t consistent in aspect ratio, to get what you want, all the content makers - film and tv - would all have to change to use the same aspect ratio and then device makers would need to use that ratio. Not going to happen, and completely irrelevant for the topic of this thread.
Yep. As an FYI for fate0311, here are some aspect film/TV/video aspect ratios:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)#Current_video_standards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)#Previous_and_currently_used_aspect_ratios

pixelements

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Germany
You can go to their support forums to request access via testflight but to be honest, I imagine by the time you got onto the beta program, this release will be on the app store.

I sent an email and got the invitation 3-4 hours later, I am in now and loving the updated app on the 11“ so far.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I sent an email and got the invitation 3-4 hours later, I am in now and loving the updated app on the 11“ so far.

Excellent - all looking full screen and a sharp UI on the 11"? Remember any note any possible issues in the beta thread on their forum, even if it is a minor thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.