Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The professionals that are more likely working in the MacBook Pro range are going to be photographers, web designers and developers and video editors. Still very much professionals, but ones who's technical requirements are closer to those of consumers.

Spot on IMO and why the MBP is primarily a good normal consumer laptop with enough oomph for the (15%) of Pro's you note

As I noted previously a more bespoke option would be needed for higher demanding users, but that's unlikely and MP's is a completely different league.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/06/mac-pro-may-not-ship-until-2019/

This is also interesting...

According to this, one of the main reason for the MacPro u-turn was the barrage of criticism they receved when they released the 2016 rMBP...

People bought the 2015 one in quantity.

EDIT: Citation from the original article.

"What made Apple do a 180? Well, after the announcement of the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, orders for refurbished "old" MacBook Pros supposedly went through the roof, and after the initial batch of reviews came out, they shot up even higher. This response to the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar took Apple completely by surprise. Combined with the problems surrounding the LG UltraFine 5K display and the constant negativity from professional Apple users, the company decided to double down on professional users. As Apple announced, we'll be getting a new Mac Pro and an iMac Pro as a result. In addition, Apple is said to be exploring additional Retina MacBook Pro models without the Touch Bar, and other pro-oriented features, such as hooking an iPad Pro up to a Mac to use it as a Cintiq-like device."

If true, I see a fast u-turn also on the MBPs
Anonymous "people and sources who know their stuff" always have "interesting" things to say!

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Spot on IMO and why the MBP is primarily a good normal consumer laptop with enough oomph for the (15%) of Pro's you note

As I noted previously a more bespoke option would be needed for higher demanding users, but that's unlikely and MP's is a completely different league.
I don't think a single person would object to a higher end, more "Pro" version added to the lineup. However, it would only be a marketing sell because they couldn't make any money from it. To put in the pieces here and there that some have been demanding, it would be tough to do so in a reasonably affordable price. So they would only do it just to show they are still "Pro" without intending to make significant money from it. Although people say they would buy this or that at whatever price (17" with Kaby and 64gb ram, etc.), it wouldn't look very appealing vs. a similarly spec'd PC laptop (albeit a ****** looking beast) at 30% of the selling price. Forgoing this unprofitable version was a smart business decision, but I'm sure we can see the potential marketing value of selling one anyway because it just screams "Pro", even though they'd probably sell 10 of these.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I don't think so...

the backlash for 2016 MBP's hardly compares to 2013 Mac 'Pro' (true Pro designation supposedly, or supposed to be)

Professionals dont mess around, lack of modularity from the cheese grate design and suspiciously compressed package and absurd pricing resulted in, no way, for most people.

Pro's have been hermetically sealed glued portables since 2012 15" Retina, it just lacks legacy ports but was hardly surprising given 12" rMB Imo

Once they drop price, and bump specs, more people will be happy. And plenty of early adopters as far as I can tell (count me in as one, with 13" nTB- I like it)

Even if people buy 2015's in swarms, for SD card reader, or MagSafe, or USBA, etc. most people don't upgrade their laptops every year like phones. So its still a sale for Apple. and still a healthy amount of people considering the aforementioned, but then figuring- why invest in old gear?

Apple can't be revamping all their product lines, just on account of initial customer feedback, that'll look like they're weak and lack confidence in what they're pitching

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
clears throat:
What made Apple do a 180? Well, after the announcement of the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, orders for refurbished "old" MacBook Pros supposedly went through the roof, and after the initial batch of reviews came out, they shot up even higher. This response to the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar took Apple completely by surprise. Combined with the problems surrounding the LG UltraFine 5K display and the constant negativity from professional Apple users, the company decided to double down on professional users.

As Apple announced, we'll be getting a new Mac Pro and an iMac Pro as a result. In addition, Apple is said to be exploring additional Retina MacBook Pro models without the Touch Bar, and other pro-oriented features, such as hooking an iPad Pro up to a Mac to use it as a Cintiq-like device. Source http://osne.ws/myj

So, again, blind loyalty when the market is responding differently and the company is scrambling to realize they are going in the wrong direction. Again, these computers were not designed to be status symbols used by Kim Khardashian at Star Bucks machines.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
clears throat:

So, again, blind loyalty when the market is responding differently and the company is scrambling to realize they are going in the wrong direction. Again, these computers were not designed to be status symbols used by Kim Khardashian at Star Bucks machines.
Huh? How does that connect to what you quoted? (Which itself shouldn't be taken for granted.)

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I believe Apple will do the following by using a give them what they want with a thoughtfulness through its implementation.

- Return of the 17 inch MacBook Pro model in 2012-15 style chassis using the 15 inch profile.
- 4k OLED display
- Infinity style display except above web cam bezel
- Return of USB A in addition to two USB C ports
- Return of ports such as HDMI and SD Card reader
- Slightly thicker 2012-15 style chassis to accommodate larger battery, DDR4 RAM
- Back to using the latest nVidia Graphics
- Touch Bar dropped, return of function keys, Touch ID stays
- Butterfly keys dropped in favor of older style keyboard
- Return of smaller track pad
- Return of the back lit Apple logo
- Return of boot chime

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I believe Apple will do the following by using a give them what they want with a thoughtfulness through its implementation.

- Return of the 17 inch MacBook Pro model in 2012-15 style chassis using the 15 inch profile.
- 4k OLED display
- Slightly thicker 2012-15 style chassis to accommodate larger battery, DDR4 RAM
- Return of boot chime
So in the scenario that they make this "really Pro" model that we are speculating may come, you believe a 2011 MBP 17" with OLED and usb-c will be the "really Pro" machine. I'm guessing this isn't going to happen. I don't believe "Pro" users are demanding lighted logos and boot chimes to meet their heavy-duty workflows. This is more like let's pretend the last 6 years didn't happen. If they make the "Pro +", it'll look closer to the 2016. Bet.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

- 4k OLED display
- Return of boot chime
Extremely unlikely that Apple will take all those backward steps, but talk to Santa, maybe he can help.

And, again, there's already room for a larger battery in the current case.

Reactions: medulla

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Even if people buy 2015's in swarms, for SD card reader, or MagSafe, or USBA, etc. most people don't upgrade their laptops every year like phones. So its still a sale for Apple. and still a healthy amount of people considering the aforementioned, but then figuring- why invest in old gear?

Apple can't be revamping all their product lines, just on account of initial customer feedback, that'll look like they're weak and lack confidence in what they're pitching

Good point, if Apple feels that more have opted to buy the 2015 MBP than the 2016 or they have lost more sales of the 2016 due to people opting to buy the 2015 than yes Apple will probably makes some changes, but you put it right, Apple has time since people who went with the 2015 model won't be buying another laptop for a few years.

I seriously feel since I've read the entire interview that Apple will make some changes to the MBP but it's not all going to be this fall, it might not be till 2018.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I'd love for the return of the 17-inch MacBook Pro. Thing is — it's not happening.

(God I hope I'm wrong.)
Yeah, I'd like that too. If there's enough demand for it despite a higher price, and a hit to battery life, I suppose it could happen again. With a matte screen! But I don't know that there's the market for it.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I do not think they'd abandon the touch bar right away, but that seems like a feature that would be better served on the Macbook than an MBP. However, given the outcry and the almighty dollar factor, you never know.

I do think we might see the previous models with updated specs though.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I was just watching the WWDC 2009 keynote which is very instructive, as I'll explain in moment.

But first, if you'll recall at a special event on October 14, 2008, Apple unveiled a new 15-inch MacBook Pro with its new unibody design process which still had a removable battery and only came with a glossy glass screen. Apple at that time also released a smaller 13-inch aluminum unibody MacBook (not a Pro) that had no FireWire ports. There was great outcry from professionals about the glare of the screen.

At the subsequent Macworld gathering a few months later in January 2009, Apple released its first unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro. It was also the first MacBook Pro with a non user-removable battery that was built-in. It also came with an optional matte anti-glare screen.

Back to the WWDC 2009 keynote. Phil Schiller, running the keynote for leave-of-absence Steve Jobs, introduces revised MacBook Pros. Built-in batteries across the line for supposed longer battery life and removal of the ExpressCard 34 slot in favor of an SD card slot. Also, the ditching of the unibody 13-inch MacBook for a new 13-inch MacBook Pro, with an SD card slot and Firewire 800 port. The 13-inch MacBook Pro is born at this keynote.

Apple made evolutionary changes to the unibody design in an 8 month timeframe. Apple was far more aggressive with the product line. And look at the pricing back then! Apple also responded to high-end professionals who hated the thoughts of dealing with reflections by offering an anti-glare screen in January and a month or so after WWDC 2009, Apple offered an optional matte screen on the 15-inch MacBook Pro too.

Why can't this kind of aggressive tweaking happen again?

Now if you look around (though this hasn't stopped Apple before) its competitors are offering the latest processors right now, while the current MacBook Pros are a processor generation behind. For example, Lenovo's new Yoga 720 lineup has the new Kaby Lake chips along with a 15-inch UHD IPS display with a quad-core processor, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050M 2GB discreet graphics card, 16GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD, thin bezels, 4.4 pounds, for $1,499. Granted the build quality probably isn't anywhere near Apple's, however, is Apple's build quality worth $900 more?

Given all of the hubbub with Apple's doubling down over professionals, and seeing that the Mac notebooks comprise 80% of the Macs Apple sells, my thoughts are Apple will soon offer up the new MacBook Pro with Kaby Lake processors. I don't think these will wait until the fall. Maybe sooner than WWDC? As I just wrote, they've made these changes quickly in the past. Sidenote: I wonder if Apple will wait to update the 12-inch MacBook so they can update all of the notebooks simultaneously? Or maybe Apple will have a special event soon to update the line-ups? Time will tell.

I would bet there will be a price reduction somewhere in the notebook line — along with an expansion of touchbar-less models expanding to the 15-inch models. Personally, there needs to be a less expensive 15-inch model. Not every pro needs Core i7 processors or discreet graphics at the 15-inch level, and that could help considerably reduce the price of the 15-inch model, whilst still offering some decent performance.

What do y'all think?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I was just watching the WWDC 2009 keynote which is very instructive, as I'll explain in moment.

But first, if you'll recall at a special event on October 14, 2008, Apple unveiled a new 15-inch MacBook Pro with its new unibody design process which still had a removable battery and only came with a glossy glass screen. Apple at that time also released a smaller 13-inch aluminum unibody MacBook (not a Pro) that had no FireWire ports. There was great outcry from professionals about the glare of the screen.

At the subsequent Macworld gathering a few months later in January 2009, Apple released its first unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro. It was also the first MacBook Pro with a non user-removable battery that was built-in. It also came with an optional matte anti-glare screen.

Back to the WWDC 2009 keynote. Phil Schiller, running the keynote for leave-of-absence Steve Jobs, introduces revised MacBook Pros. Built-in batteries across the line for supposed longer battery life and removal of the ExpressCard 34 slot in favor of an SD card slot. Also, the ditching of the unibody 13-inch MacBook for a new 13-inch MacBook Pro, with an SD card slot and Firewire 800 port. The 13-inch MacBook Pro is born at this keynote.

Apple made evolutionary changes to the unibody design in an 8 month timeframe. Apple was far more aggressive with the product line. And look at the pricing back then! Apple also responded to high-end professionals who hated the thoughts of dealing with reflections by offering an anti-glare screen in January and a month or so after WWDC 2009, Apple offered an optional matte screen on the 15-inch MacBook Pro too.

Now if you look around (though this hasn't stopped Apple before) its competitors are offering the latest processors right now, while the current MacBook Pros are a processor generation behind. For example, Lenovo's new Yoga 720 lineup has the new Kaby Lake chips along with a 15-inch UHD IPS display with a quad-core processor, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050M 2GB discreet graphics card, 16GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD, thin bezels, 4.4 pounds, for $1,499. Granted the build quality probably isn't anywhere near Apple's, however, is Apple's build quality worth $900 more?

Given all of the hubbub with Apple's doubling down over professionals, and seeing that the Mac notebooks comprise 80% of the Macs Apple sells, my thoughts are Apple will soon offer up the new MacBook Pro with Kaby Lake processors. I don't think these will wait until the fall. Maybe sooner than WWDC? As I just wrote, they've made these changes quickly in the past. Sidenote: I wonder if Apple will wait to update the 12-inch MacBook so they can update all of the notebooks simultaneously? Or maybe Apple will have a special event soon to update the line-ups? Time will tell.

I would bet there will be a price reduction somewhere in the notebook line — along with an expansion of touchbar-less models expanding to the 15-inch models. Personally, there needs to be a less expensive 15-inch model. Not every pro needs Core i7 processors or discreet graphics at the 15-inch level, and that could help considerably reduce the price of the 15-inch model, whilst still offering some decent performance.

What do y'all think?
Great ideas and surely Apple can do this again. Hey thanks for reminding us all about what we all watched back in 2009, very interesting indeed. So Apple did make a lot of changes in such a short period of time. It's very possible after the leaked interview today that was posted that Apple could very well do what they did back in 2009 at WWDC, what a better event to show they are still listening and care about the MBP audience.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room

What do y'all think?
Geez, that thing is thick! Haha. The '09 was actually the last MBP I had prior to my '16, and it was my favorite laptop ever (before this one). It was so far ahead of anything else out there. Great trip down memory lane.

I'm fairly certain a price drop is coming, but only because that's the Apple playbook recently. All of this speculation is based on what's happened recently, basically since '09. Unfortunately, I think it's wishful thinking that a major redesign will happen a year after release, but who knows, Apple has been known to surprise. Any improvements are always welcome on the MBP's. Maybe they feel they have the financial cushion to take a hit in redesigning so quickly, especially since Mac is such a smaller part of their overall P&L now. However, I'm in the camp that they'll add a line if anything, rather than redesigning existing given the new model's financial success.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
- 4k OLED display
- Return of boot chime

As much as I would absolutely love a 4K 17-inch "MacBook ReallyPro" with a ton of RAM and a powerful nVidia graphics card, I believe there is currently no sign that Apple might want to go in that direction. They're clearly oriented towards more compact footprints, and as for the "latest graphics" there are limitations to the TDP of the cards they can put in a MBP, that's been the case since forever, and someone will always complain that the GPU is not powerful enough. We will eventually see upgrades in the type and quantity of RAM, but that's it.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but some of the points above can't really be considered improvements and pretty much sound like "I just want the older models back": what do the Apple logo and boot chime have to do with the laptop being powerful or professional enough? They're just design choices, and very minor ones at that... Also, dropping functionalities they just spent time and money on developing (TouchBar, butterfly keyboard v2, new trackpad) would effectively represent a downgrade, which would make no sense on a top-tier model.

Thicker body with legacy ports? Most likely not happening... whether we like it or not, Apple never backs up on that kind of decision.

Reactions: medulla and Sanpete

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
As much as I would absolutely love a 4K 17-inch "MacBook ReallyPro" with a ton of RAM and a powerful nVidia graphics card, I believe there is currently no sign that Apple might want to go in that direction. They're clearly oriented towards more compact footprints, and as for the "latest graphics" there are limitations to the TDP of the cards they can put in a MBP, that's been the case since forever, and someone will always complain that the GPU is not powerful enough. We will eventually see upgrades in the type and quantity of RAM, but that's it.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but some of the points above can't really be considered improvements and pretty much sound like "I just want the older models back": what do the Apple logo and boot chime have to do with the laptop being powerful or professional enough? They're just design choices, and very minor ones at that... Also, dropping functionalities they just spent time and money on developing (TouchBar, butterfly keyboard v2, new trackpad) would effectively represent a downgrade, which would make no sense on a top-tier model.

Thicker body with legacy ports? Most likely not happening... whether we like it or not, Apple never backs up on that kind of decision.

I guess you are not aware of the mea culpa that happened with select journalists a couple days ago in Cupertino. Again, Apple has been spanked by the customers who this product matters to, they are gonna downgrade for the better and follow instructions.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013

What do y'all think?

If they kept the current design but added larger terraced batteries, reduced the price, and gave the option of having physical keys and no touch bar (which could also reduce price), and Kaby Lake, holy **** that would be perfect.

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
Show me one laptop that not throttling. In many test, the 2016 MacBook Pro suffer less throttling than the one it replaces.

Literally tons of them. Look at our reviews on notebookcheck under stress tests. Find other laptops that hit 95C+ on the CPU and throttle.

edit: I should be more specific -- many laptops will lower their turbo clocks after surpassing around 80 degrees. Because apple thinks being quiet is more important than prolonging the hardware, the fans come on too late and they let the CPU hit nearly 100C. That is objectively bad thermal management.

Last edited:

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
We can only hope Apple applies the same thinking to the 2016 15" MBs - recognize it went too far in the wrong direction (namely, thin) and change course.

Reactions: Queen6

darkmaxdevil

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

- 4k OLED display
- Return of boot chime

I have problem seeing why boot chime, back lit Apple logo, and infinity style display bezel relate to Pro status of the laptop. Regarding the new keyboard, a poll clearly show that more people prefer new keyboard over the old one. For DDR4 RAM, I see no point as LPDDR3 is clock at the same as DDR4 and 32GB of RAM is almost meaningless without quad channel configuration. This is personal, I have no problem with USB C at all, never used USB A since I changed all of my cable from USB A to USB C. I actually like the 2016 form factor over older generations. Battery life is as advertise for me.

I'm neutral with Touch Bar, graphic card (given current TDP of the laptop, even GTX 1050 is out of question), trackpad.

If 17" actually come back, it will be at least 3840x2400 which is a little more than native 4k at 3840x2160. So that's out of question.

I actually like to see the 17" come back with anti-glare display. And I will place an order as soon as Apple let me, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Literally tons of them. Look at our reviews on notebookcheck under stress tests. Find other laptops that hit 95C+ on the CPU and throttle.

edit: I should be more specific -- many laptops will lower their turbo clocks after surpassing around 80 degrees. Because apple thinks being quiet is more important than prolonging the hardware, the fans come on too late and they let the CPU hit nearly 100C. That is objectively bad thermal management.

Haha, and that isn't call throttling right? I think I was talking about throttling nothing about the CPU being at 90+.
Allow me quoting your review on Dell XPS 15 2016 (9550) from your site notebookcheck,

"We can see a recurring cycle of the processor and graphics card during our stress test: The i5-6300HQ quickly throttles from its 2.8 GHz (@Cinebench tests) in steps to 1.8, then 1.4 and finally 800 MHz. The temperature of the 6300HQ drops from 95 °C (limit where the throttling sets in) to 70 °C at the same time, just to rise back to 90 °C as soon as the CPU continues to run at 1.8 GHz. This recurring cycle (800 MHz – 1.8 GHz) takes place roughly every two minutes and we can see a correspondingly fluctuating power consumption between 66 and 129 Watts."

It's not even be able to run at base clock which is 2.3 GHz.

Regarding the CPU nearly hitting 100C, I see no problem with that. I never monitoring my CPU when I'm working. Never once I saw someone fried their CPU, and I never fried mine once. So I don't care if the thermal get that high as long as it's not getting fried.

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
I have problem seeing why boot chime, back lit Apple logo, and infinity style display bezel relate to Pro status of the laptop. Regarding the new keyboard, a poll clearly show that more people prefer new keyboard over the old one. For DDR4 RAM, I see no point as LPDDR3 is clock at the same as DDR4 and 32GB of RAM is almost meaningless without quad channel configuration. This is personal, I have no problem with USB C at all, never used USB A since I changed all of my cable from USB A to USB C. I actually like the 2016 form factor over older generations. Battery life is as advertise for me.

I'm neutral with Touch Bar, graphic card (given current TDP of the laptop, even GTX 1050 is out of question), trackpad.

If 17" actually come back, it will be at least 3840x2400 which is a little more than native 4k at 3840x2160. So that's out of question.

I actually like to see the 17" come back with anti-glare display. And I will place an order as soon as Apple let me, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Haha, and that isn't call throttling right? I think I was talking about throttling nothing about the CPU being at 90+.
Allow me quoting your review on Dell XPS 15 2016 (9550) from your site notebookcheck,

"We can see a recurring cycle of the processor and graphics card during our stress test: The i5-6300HQ quickly throttles from its 2.8 GHz (@Cinebench tests) in steps to 1.8, then 1.4 and finally 800 MHz. The temperature of the 6300HQ drops from 95 °C (limit where the throttling sets in) to 70 °C at the same time, just to rise back to 90 °C as soon as the CPU continues to run at 1.8 GHz. This recurring cycle (800 MHz – 1.8 GHz) takes place roughly every two minutes and we can see a correspondingly fluctuating power consumption between 66 and 129 Watts."

It's not even be able to run at base clock which is 2.3 GHz.

Regarding the CPU nearly hitting 100C, I see no problem with that. I never monitoring my CPU when I'm working. Never once I saw someone fried their CPU, and I never fried mine once. So I don't care if the thermal get that high as long as it's not getting fried.

First, that i5-9550 review was a defective unit. Check the 9560 i5 review (no throttling after an hour of witcher 3) and 9560 i7 review (this had some throttling after looping cinebench). Most importantly though, you can fix any throttling yourself without voiding the warranty:

n1UUCNn.jpg

This is an i7-7700HQ with GTX 1050. Max clocks. Wouldn't it be great if the MacBook Pro 15" could do that? I certainly wish so.

Now, regarding the CPU temp: it is a problem necessarily for the CPU, but the components around it. See razer's ****** engineering leading to their VBIOS chips and MOSFETS getting fried by high temps. The CPU will probably be fine, but every other component isn't built to sustain those high temps. Especially batteries. If the 2016 macbook is able to keep that CPU temp well away from the rest of the components, then that's fine--I just don't trust apple to do that without checking the temps myself.

Note: I don't own my own 2016 mbp to check temperature sensors. I will likely be getting a 2017 model and will do my best to tweak it for temps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.