Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Because apple thinks being quiet is more important than prolonging the hardware, the fans come on too late and they let the CPU hit nearly 100C. That is objectively bad thermal management.
Really? What objective standard are you applying? Has there been a rash of failing Apple notebook CPUs? Apparently not. How about batteries? Has the battery temp been unusually high? You don't know.

The plain fact is that the new MBPs run cooler and throttle less than previous MBPs. That's what the Notebook Check reviews show. But some people appear to be unhappy about that, because the machine is thinner!

We can only hope Apple applies the same thinking to the 2016 15" MBs - recognize it went too far in the wrong direction (namely, thin) and change course.
Ha, the myth will never die!

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
Yes toucan, we should applaud Apple from moving on from its macbook 2011 gpu failure days somewhat, yet of course we should also continue to push them to improve these weak points for better reliability

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Yes toucan, we should applaud Apple from moving on from its macbook 2011 gpu failure days somewhat, yet of course we should also continue to push them to improve these weak points for better reliability
Huh? If you disagree with what I said, give a reason. Is the dGPU in the new MBP getting too hot? What are you getting at? If anything?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Let me explain in great detail :)

Lower temperatures = better
Higher temperatures = worse
Uh huh. So you are out of reasons. At least that much is clear. To recap, the new MBPs run cooler and throttle less, but some are upset about that.

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
Uh huh. So you are out of reasons. At least that much is clear. To recap, the new MBPs run cooler and throttle less, but some are upset about that.

Toucan san, if I gave you HIV, would you be content that it didn't become full blown AIDS, or would you prefer not to have HIV?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Toucan san, if I gave you HIV, would you be content that it didn't become full blown AIDS, or would you prefer not to have HIV?
You really are reaching! When you can show an objective problem with MBP heat management, then you'll have something objectively bad, and not before. In the mean time, it remains that the machine runs cooler and throttles less than its predecessors. That's objective.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

darkmaxdevil

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
First, that i5-9550 review was a defective unit. Check the 9560 i5 review (no throttling after an hour of witcher 3) and 9560 i7 review (this had some throttling after looping cinebench). Most importantly though, you can fix any throttling yourself without voiding the warranty:

This is an i7-7700HQ with GTX 1050. Max clocks. Wouldn't it be great if the MacBook Pro 15" could do that? I certainly wish so.

Now, regarding the CPU temp: it is a problem necessarily for the CPU, but the components around it. See razer's ****** engineering leading to their VBIOS chips and MOSFETS getting fried by high temps. The CPU will probably be fine, but every other component isn't built to sustain those high temps. Especially batteries. If the 2016 macbook is able to keep that CPU temp well away from the rest of the components, then that's fine--I just don't trust apple to do that without checking the temps myself.

Note: I don't own my own 2016 mbp to check temperature sensors. I will likely be getting a 2017 model and will do my best to tweak it for temps.

Thank you for updating, I'm no gamer myself. I'm not sure if this game or benchmark can be use as a stress test for CPU, but I'm sure it is for GPU. If you could, please kindly test something like Prime95 or superPI with intel power gadget showing stats.

And yes, I agree with you for other components around CPU could effect with the temperatures. From what I could see, nothing much is effect just the CPU core. Even the CPU itself is not exceeding 75c. I maybe wrong. If you are more knowledgeable on this please kindly explain.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-07%20at%201.12.18%20PM_zpsszcb5etk.png

Reactions: Sanpete

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
given current TDP of the laptop, even GTX 1050 is out of question.

They're clearly oriented towards more compact footprints, and as for the "latest graphics" there are limitations to the TDP of the cards they can put in a MBP, that's been the case since forever, and someone will always complain that the GPU is not powerful enough. We will eventually see upgrades in the type and quantity of RAM, but that's it.

That is entirely the center of the question: they at last understood and admitted to having "designed themselves" into a "thermal corner" for the Mac Pro...they keep doing the same on the MBP, hopefully they will do the same here.

And before the usual "applologists" retort to their usual strawman, noone wants a 5 kg laptop here, just one with better internals CPU, GPU, more RAM (for those who needs it), even if this means to have it 10% or 20% thicker. If you want it paper thin, Apple offers an ultraportable laptop, it is the rMB.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
noone wants a 5 kg laptop here, just one with better internals CPU, GPU, more RAM (for those who needs it), even if this means to have it 10% or 20% thicker.
Eh, as I said I have been dreaming a retina 17-inch MBP with beefed-up hardware for years, so it's not that I wouldn't like them to do it. I would in fact buy such machine in a heartbeat. I just meant to say that it's not so likely they ever will, and as such I'm not holding my breath for it anymore.

True, Apple admitted their choices being too limiting for the Mac Pro, but that makes a lot of sense as potential buyers of that class of machine are people who likely wish for a modular, upgradeable desktop workstation to begin with. They are not targeting the same market with laptops, so I wouldn't blind assume that they are going back on their design choices for the MBP. Yes, the redesign received substantial criticism, but again, which first-generation Apple product didn't? :)

Queen6

macrumors G4
Again, all this shows is how detached you are from the professional community that has a different view than yours, including right in front of you in these forums, where such pros post daily about how much they like their Macs. I'm pretty sure Apple is well aware of what pros think about these things, as they have an entire department dedicated to market research.

I wouldn't know as I am not privy to the inner workings Apple? What is clear to me is the 2016 MBP was designed to appeal more to the general user. Criticism of the new MBP abounds, even Apple recognises it. Only individuals such as you refuse to accept that the new MBP is not the great panacea. Ceaselessly running to defend Apple, in an attempt to refute what are basically just individuals personal opinions....

You can disagree as much as you want, and that's all you can do. It changes nothing, no one I know is looking to purchase the new MBP, some have tried and all returned them, nor are the same engineers, designers etc. going to change their mind's as they rely on their hardware for work purpose.

Professional users may well be a very small percentage of Apple's user base in 2107, however we remain to be as influential as ever. Apple is now feeling this hence the recent staged press meeting. Try taking your comments over to the nMP forum or here and see just how welcome you will be made. When people depend on their hardware for a living they don't appreciate their provider of choice pulling stunts like Apple of recent...

You are fully entitled to disagree, however your systematic posting walls of text and endless dissection of members posts who do not align with your own opinion is not what MR is about. Allow people to have their say and move on, it's not like your going to change their minds. 2016 MBP is far from being a poor notebook, equally it fails to meet the expectations of many professional users and that you need to accept.

Q-6

Last edited:

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
They are not targeting the same market with laptops, so I wouldn't blind assume that they are going back on their design choices for the MBP. Yes, the redesign received substantial criticism, but again, which first-generation Apple product didn't? :)

I do not blindly assume anyting. This week changed everything as far as Apple is concerned. They started to admit their errors in design...

I just hope they backpedal also on the rMBP as they are allegedly doing on the MacPro, iMac and also Mac Mini, even on the iPad

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but that doesn't mean Apple has misread the customer base
It means exactly that, and the folks at Apple has stated as much, by promising Macs that will be more upgradeable. They misread what people want and only when sales were impacted and the complaining reached a high level, did they react.

Again, if we accept what Apple says, one reason it took three years to drop the current design is that they made a technical error that made upgrades to the existing model impractical. That suggests they decided it was better to just let it remain as was until it became obsolete (which still hasn't happened for the vast majority of MP users), and then redo the whole thing, which is of course an expensive enterprise.
It was not a technical error but a strategic one to exclude drive bays, to not not allow more modern GPUs to be used, the closed design is not a small technical error.

As several people have pointed out to you, there isn't the slightest evidence that this is happening more now than in the past, rather the evidence appears to show otherwise.
I think Apple the most secretative company opening up and apologizing speaks volumes about how concerned they are. Just because some others disagree doesn't mean its not the case

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I wouldn't know as I am not privy to the inner workings Apple? What is clear to me is the MBP was designed to appeal more to the general user. The criticism of the new MBP abounds, even Apple recognises it only people such as you refuse to accept that the new MBP is not the great panacea. Ceaselessly running to defend Apple, in an attempt to refute what are basically just individuals personal opinions....

You can disagree as much as you want, and that's all you can do. It changes nothing, no one I know is look to purchase the new MBP, some have tried and returned them, nor are the same engineers, designers etc. going to change their mind's as they rely on their hardware for work purpose.

Professional users may well be a very small percentage of Apple's user base in 2107, however we remain to be as influential as ever. Apple is now feeling this hence the recent staged press meeting. Try taking your comments over to the nMP forum or here and see just how welcome you will be made. When people depend on their hardware for a living they don't appreciate their vender of choice pulling stunts like Apple of recent...

You are fully entitled to disagree, however your systematic posting walls of text and endless dissection of members posts who do not align with your own opinion is not what MR is about. Allow people to have their say and move on, it's not like your going to change their minds. New MBP is far from being a poor notebook, equally it fails to meet the expectations of many professional users and that you need to accept.

Q-6
Crumbs I just went through that thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ac-pro-which-may-not-ship-until-2019.2040653/

Certainly puts a different perspective on Pro's reaction to the tbMBP than the few postings here

Seems it's a big thumbs up for those that have skipped the late 2016 release and opted for the 2015. Seems Apple have been noted of confirming the successful sales was the 2015 model not the late 2016 and there has been plenty of negative reaction to the TB amongst other items

Not to say the late 2016 MBP has suited some but it's not the rip roaring success, so much so we are likely to see some changes in 2017

Lets hope the 2017 improvements meets the needs

Time will tell but I can see in 4 or 5 years time we will see one of those posting:

" I've just been offered a late 2016 tb MBP 15" for $500, what shall I do"

Think you can guess it will be the same answer, "Skip it" :)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think Apple will add higher specs for the "Pro" user 32GB Ram option and so on, but i don't think they will remove the Touch Bar and i don't think they should. It's early days and i think a lot of people could find it very useful when it's implemented into their daily use.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Crumbs I just went through that thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ac-pro-which-may-not-ship-until-2019.2040653/

Certainly puts a different perspective on Pro's reaction to the tbMBP than the few postings here

Seems it's a big thumbs up for those that have skipped the late 2016 release and opted for the 2015. Seems Apple have been noted of confirming the successful sales was the 2015 model not the late 2016 and there has been plenty of negative reaction to the TB amongst other items

Not to say the late 2016 MBP has suited some but it's not the rip roaring success, so much so we are likely to see some changes in 2017

Lets hope the 2017 improvements meets the needs

Time will tell but I can see in 4 or 5 years time we will see one of those posting:

Phil Schiller said they still listening to the feedback on the 2017 MBP, but they haven't analyzed it yet. Probably means, they are gonna skip updating it this year.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Phil Schiller said they still listening to the feedback on the 2017 MBP, but they haven't analyzed it yet. Probably means, they are gonna skip updating it this year.

Probably a price drop and small spec update alongside a rumoured 32GB Ram option.

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
Thank you for updating, I'm no gamer myself. I'm not sure if this game or benchmark can be use as a stress test for CPU, but I'm sure it is for GPU. If you could, please kindly test something like Prime95 or superPI with intel power gadget showing stats.

And yes, I agree with you for other components around CPU could effect with the temperatures. From what I could see, nothing much is effect just the CPU core. Even the CPU itself is not exceeding 75c. I maybe wrong. If you are more knowledgeable on this please kindly explain.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-07%20at%201.12.18%20PM_zpsszcb5etk.png

Man, I don't know what intel gadget it is, but I got a lot more data than mine lol. (during prime95 blend test)

Attachments

• pi.jpg
    pi.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 100

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012

I don't know, even in 5 yrs the display alone on the 2016 15" is worth $500.00 and for someone not needing more than 16GB of ram they will do fine, Touch ID and compact design with fast SSD sounds like a steal to me for $500.00 I think the answer will be grab it!!

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
they at last understood and admitted to having "designed themselves" into a "thermal corner" for the Mac Pro...they keep doing the same on the MBP, hopefully they will do the same here.

And before the usual "applologists" retort to their usual strawman, noone wants a 5 kg laptop here, just one with better internals CPU, GPU, more RAM (for those who needs it), even if this means to have it 10% or 20% thicker. If you want it paper thin, Apple offers an ultraportable laptop, it is the rMB.
Sorry, but that still flies in the face of plain facts. Was the 2015 also in a thermal corner, as you see it? The 2016 haters say no, but then when confronted with the objective fact that the 2016 runs cooler and throttles less while achieving better graphics performance, they start rambling about apologists, HIV, and all manner of other nonsense. Facts have little power over feelings.

I wouldn't know as I am not privy to the inner workings Apple?

Seriously? You think one of the most successful corporations on Earth may not have a market research division?

What is clear to me is the 2016 MBP was designed to appeal more to the general user.

More than what? The 2015? Hardly. It's clear to you because you feel that way, not because it's objectively evident.

Only individuals such as you refuse to accept that the new MBP is not the great panacea. Ceaselessly running to defend Apple, in an attempt to refute what are basically just individuals personal opinions....

You again just make stuff up. Obviously I've never even come close to suggesting the new MBP is a panacea. Obviously, and I've been especially plain in explaining this to you repeatedly, I don't take issue with people's personal preferences. But when you and others just make stuff up, as you do continually, then you should expect to have that pointed out.

You can disagree as much as you want, and that's all you can do. It changes nothing, no one I know is looking to purchase the new MBP, some have tried and returned them, nor are the same engineers, designers etc. going to change their mind's as they rely on their hardware for work purpose.

You make my point again. You have successfully insulated yourself from everyone who has a different view than yours. Again, obviously a great many pros love these new MBPs. That you don't know any only says something about you.

Allow people to have their say and move on, it's not like your going to change their minds.
Obviously I'm not preventing anyone from saying whatever they please. You, however, are trying to stop me. I agree that those more committed to their feelings than facts, however plain, cannot be persuaded.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I don't know, even in 5 yrs the display alone on the 2016 15" is worth $500.00 and for someone not needing more than 16GB of ram they will do fine, Touch ID and compact design with fast SSD sounds like a steal to me for $500.00 I think the answer will be grab it!!
You may be right but if Apple actually surprises us all and does something spectacular in 2017 to prove its listening the current late tb2016 MBP may go down as the poorer 1st gen

We will have to wait and see :)
[doublepost=1491581163][/doublepost]
And yet maybe not who's going to wait till 2019 to see if Apple had been listening I think we will see changes in many lines too prove the point and increase user base confidence IMO

Reactions: Queen6

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
It means exactly that, and the folks at Apple has stated as much, by promising Macs that will be more upgradeable. They misread what people want and only when sales were impacted and the complaining reached a high level, did they react.

It was not a technical error but a strategic one to exclude drive bays, to not not allow more modern GPUs to be used, the closed design is not a small technical error.

I think Apple the most secretative company opening up and apologizing speaks volumes about how concerned they are. Just because some others disagree doesn't mean its not the case
As a matter of logic, no, clearly nothing Apple said implies that, for various reasons. I've already explained one other plausible way to understand it, and there are others. Apple obviously knew that people prefer upgradability. They know that about all the other Macs too. It simply doesn't follow that their refusal to offer it means they aren't aware of the desire for it.

I don't follow how thermal design isn't a technical issue. That's what Apple blames the problem on. You're reading other things into what they say.

Obviously that people disagree with something doesn't mean it isn't true. We see that here continually. But many of us can clearly remember facts that don't fit what you say about the supposedly unprecedented nature of the reaction to the new MBP.

Tidbits from unnamed sources that may or may not have any inside knowledge are crumbs indeed!

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
You may be right but if Apple actually surprises us all and does something spectacular in 2017 to prove its listening the current late tb2016 MBP may go down as the poorer 1st gen

We will have to wait and see :)
[doublepost=1491581163][/doublepost]
And yet maybe not who's going to wait till 2019 to see if Apple had been listening I think we will see changes in many lines too prove the point and increase user base confidence IMO
Well, I have a 2015 MBP, so, my next Mac purchase probably won't be until 2019 or 2020.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Tidbits from unnamed sources that may or may not have any inside knowledge are crumbs indeed!

I see you use the same "crumbs" as you wish to call them to support your own opinions when it fits :)

I agree there are always 2 sides as we have little facts most of the time however in the Apple arena the reports from the interview re MP s the closest we have been for some time of getting something from the horses mouth :D

Nothing like idle speculation to keep us guessing LOL

Reactions: Sanpete

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Because apple thinks being quiet is more important than prolonging the hardware, the fans come on too late and they let the CPU hit nearly 100C. That is objectively bad thermal management.

This nonsense is getting ridiculous. Intel states that 100C is a safe temperature to run their CPUs at and they give you full warranty for operating the CPU under these temperatures. If you think you understand thermal properties of Intel CPUs better then Intel engineers, then you probably should apply for a job there, they will certainly be more than happy to have your expertise. Until then, a cooling solution that allows the CPU to run within its thermal parameters is perfectly adequate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.