Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Yes, I was thinking the same. Also for me It seems a software bug.

I didnt manage get mine on screenshot or video, but maby mine also followed the background. Also found one more glitch now, which come everytime i restart computer, when opening spotlight the text box come and it should be a shadow under it. In that shadow i have plenty white square shaped dots, but only first time i open spotlight..

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Looking at that glitch the pattern followed the line of the Sierra mountains. Looks like a software bug. A hardware glitch would ignore the background wallpaper.

I had a very similar glitch after logging in from a shut down. I didn't have the stock wallpaper up but a photo I had taken at an air show. There were red & then green lines for a split second around the clouds/highlights in the photo. I'm thinking most of the issues we've been having could be related to poor software & hardware integration. How Apple didn't catch these is beyond me.

I didnt manage get mine on screenshot or video, but maby mine also followed the background. Also found one more glitch now, which come everytime i restart computer, when opening spotlight the text box come and it should be a shadow under it. In that shadow i have plenty white square shaped dots, but only first time i open spotlight..

I've noticed the same...even before the graphics glitch I stated above. What you're describing happened almost right away when I first picked the unit up and played with it.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I had a very similar glitch after logging in from a shut down. I didn't have the stock wallpaper up but a photo I had taken at an air show. There were red & then green lines for a split second around the clouds/highlights in the photo. I'm thinking most of the issues we've been having could be related to poor software & hardware integration. How Apple didn't catch these is beyond me.

I've noticed the same...even before the graphics glitch I stated above. What you're describing happened almost right away when I first picked the unit up and played with it.

Then that should be conclusive. If the glitches can detect the edges in images and if they don't exist in Windows, it's software. Bugs like that can be missed when an OS update arrives during assembly after the machines have already been approved for assembly. It should be an easy fix.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Could everyone(or anyone) try this to replicate the login glitch, unplug the power so it runs on battery last thing before bedtime, then shutdown and start it again in the morning before plugging in power and look for a glitch in login screen after typing password.

Thats how i got the glitch, and some other guy said he can replicate it same way. If its possible on all machines its very likely a software bug in sierra on this new hardware. And if apple find out how to replicate its easier and faster for them to fix it

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Could everyone(or anyone) try this to replicate the login glitch, unplug the power so it runs on battery last thing before bedtime, then shutdown and start it again in the morning before plugging in power and look for a glitch in login screen after typing password.

Thats how i got the glitch, and some other guy said he can replicate it same way. If its possible on all machines its very likely a software bug in sierra on this new hardware. And if apple find out how to replicate its easier and faster for them to fix it

I'll try it & post back.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
If the glitches can detect the edges in images and if they don't exist in Windows, it's software

The "edges in images" as you call them are 2d surfaces with a texture in the GPU. This doesn't prove anything. You can have hardware errors on particular textures or in the composited result.

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
I'm continuing to use this as a (very expensive) web only device as a control test. Safari use only, no plugins, no App Store installs, no Adobe product installation at all, nothing. I'll report back again tomorrow and then install a few Apple apps, log in to iCloud, sync with Photos app, etc.

UPDATE #2 (48 hours)
: Following on from my post yesterday I've been running on completely stock Sierra install for 48 hours now and not seen a single glitch, nor have I been able to even provoke it into glitching like I could before. Login, logout all clean screens, running file migration wizard, quitting back to login screen and then logging in, all good. [NOTE: FiuleVault is turned off, that's the default on a fresh install and was off previously when I had glitches]

In case it was the discrete Radeon Pro 460 to blame I went into system preferences and disabled automatic graphics switching for most of today so I was running purely on the Radeon and no issues. I even confirmed I was running on the Radeon in system profiler which showed the LCD as connected to that GPU not the Intel 530.

I've run it all different resolutions for a few hours, I ran some 4K youtube playlists full screen for over an hour. I ran on battery and on mains. I ran some OpenGL benchmarks within safari. It's all silky smooth and no glitches.

So my next step - I'm going to install some (non-Adobe) apps via the apps store and test for another day and then I'll try with Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop CC installed and see if the glitches start to appear.

Long process but since I've still got my old retina MacBook Pro it's easy enough to continue with that for work and use new one for everything else.

Next update tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: pier

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
3598.790 [DFR] ERR [_DFRDisplayDrawRectsRequest] writePipeAsync failed 0xe00002d8

Dec 4 20:40:37 MacBook-Pro WindowServer[164]: 3598.790 [DFR] ERR [_DFRDisplayDrawRectsRequest] WritePipe failed 0xe00002d8

Dec 4 20:40:37 MacBook-Pro WindowServer[164]: 3598.790 [DFR] ERR [_DFRDisplayDrawRectsRequest] writePipeAsync failed 0xe00002d9

Dec 4 20:40:37 MacBook-Pro WindowServer[164]: 3598.790 [DFR] ERR [_DFRDisplayDrawRectsRequest] WritePipe failed 0xe00002d9

Got alot of those messages in system log on my glitch

and in consoles system reports i have tons of crash reports and diag reports already, mostly excessive wakeupes errors..
think something is wrong :)

Last edited:

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
and now i had a different crazy glitch that give screen tearing everywhere and straght lines and putting graphics in wrong places 2 times and seen the swirly lines glitch 3 times more, only by testing a couple of restarts

starting to think its 100% hardware, or corrupt firmware

a4k04

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
I too have been having the occasional issue with the 460 GPU. Seems to only happen when I connect to an external 4K monitor. Sometimes it happens when I first connect the display (first video), other times it happens when a semi-graphics intensive screen saver comes on (second video). Additionally, when I disconnect from the external display I have some issues with mission control (see linked image).

AuF1QPy.png

Namret

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
Kluisbergen, Belgium
This just happened to me...
This is a 15-inch mbp with radeon pro 450.
External display was attached. Had to hold down the power button to reboot.

Attachments

• IMG_20161205_000948.jpg
    IMG_20161205_000948.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 264

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I'll try it & post back.

I wasn't able to replicate it however I will be away from my MBP most of today so I will try this again tonight when I am back and see what we get.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I wasn't able to replicate it however I will be away from my MBP most of today so I will try this again tonight when I am back and see what we get.

Yeah i have started to think its hardware or corrupt firmware thats the problem, got glitches 5 times more yesterday, 2 worse than the swirly lines

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Have tons of glitches.. apple support chat told me to call sales department and get a replacement directly, but when calling sales they tell me i need to book a time for repair and if its hardware error they cant repair quickly i need to be without computer for several days while waiting for a new one. Which i cant be.. so stinky quality and bad support

ktfan

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
I got my 15 inch Radeon 450 last Saturday. Initial bootup/login screen was clear. However during initial setup I chose to enable FileVault, since then subsequence reboot/login I noticed several white broken and flickering lines appearing below the Apple logo swiftly. I did not encounter any display glitch during usage.

I tried disabling FileVault according to some suggestions here. After disabling it, I did not come across any glitch during reboot/login. Hmm...seems like it has something to do with FileVault, hope Apple can confirm and rectify the issue.

Last edited:

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
So my next step - I'm going to install some (non-Adobe) apps via the apps store and test for another day and then I'll try with Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop CC installed and see if the glitches start to appear.

Long process but since I've still got my old retina MacBook Pro it's easy enough to continue with that for work and use new one for everything else.

Next update tomorrow.

I'd urge everyone here, as futile as it may seem, to email any major issues to tcook@apple.com

I just did that outlining the problems with the MBP, and I got a phone call from Apple within 2 hours.

When you posted this I thought I'd give it a shot, I sent a polite email explaining my situation, linked to my video of the of the glitch along with link to my blog post with more info and included the Apple Support reference I'd been allocated. I just received a call saying they have been asked to follow up my email to Tim Cook , they have watched the video, read the blog posts and all notes against my support ticket. He said I believe you've now been running with a fresh Sierra install for a few days and are starting to install Apple apps. I confirmed and said I would like to try installing Adobe software next which he agreed would be the next logical step and he wants me to report by my findings.

All very positive and proactive. He confirmed there is a team of engineers on this issue (as JanInLA also confirmed) and since I'm confident my machine hasn't glitched since Friday they'd like to see what happens when I install Adobe CC Client and then Lightroom and Photoshop like I had installed before.

CC Client in installed and Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC are downloading
Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 16.40.29.png

Let's see how things progress.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
When you posted this I thought I'd give it a shot, I sent a polite email explaining my situation, linked to my video of the of the glitch along with link to my blog post with more info and included the Apple Support reference I'd been allocated. I just received a call saying they have been asked to follow up my email to Tim Cook , they have watched the video, read the blog posts and all notes against my support ticket. He said I believe you've now been running with a fresh Sierra install for a few days and are starting to install Apple apps. I confirmed and said I would like to try installing Adobe software next which he agreed would be the next logical step and he wants me to report by my findings.

All very positive and proactive. He confirmed there is a team of engineers on this issue (as JanInLA also confirmed) and since I'm confident my machine hasn't glitched since Friday they'd like to see what happens when I install Adobe CC Client and then Lightroom and Photoshop like I had installed before.

CC Client in installed and Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC are downloading
View attachment 676333

Let's see how things progress.

Really hope you get back glitches after you install adobe, i want it to be only software error.

But i think it has something to do with corrupt SMC firmware or buggy firmware.
I had some small glitches and tried to do a SMC reset after that to see if it would get rid of it, which gave a huge scary glitch. Later on when i had zero glitching for a couple of restarts i tried SMC reset again and that scary glitch came back directly. So seems like everytime i do something with the smc heavy glitching arrive

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Really hope you get back glitches after you install adobe, i want it to be only software error.
BIG UPDATE: It's Adobe....well I'm 99% convinced Adobe CC Client is the culprit!

As per my previous posts I have been running stock Sierra installation for 3 days now without a single glitch, I installed Adobe CC client, Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC half an hour ago and the glitches are instantly back. I'm just waiting for another video to upload to YouTube so I can share it with you all but I had the screen glitch all over the screen for at least 4 minutes, changing resolution, wallpaper, GPU from discrete to intel made no difference it was persistent. Eventually switching the resolution multiple times caused something to clear and refresh the screen. This time I tried moving some windows through the glitch and it appears to move with it so perhaps some core graphics conflict with Adobe somewhere?

I think given my machine ran smoothly without any third party apps installed and then the instant I installed Adobe CC it started glitching is solid evidence that it's third party software to blame here and not hardware? Unless Adobe CC is "reaching" other parts of the hardware which a stock Sierra install simply doesn't reach?

Here's a 4 minute long video of the full screen glitch after installed Adobe CC Client, Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC. Note I wasn't even using the apps at the time, I had just logged back in. This wasn't the most colourful of glitches, I did have one that was a complete rainbow over the screen but unfortunately I didn't have my phone to hand so this one is less colourful but clearly glitching none-the-less.

Last edited:

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
BIG UPDATE: It's Adobe....well I'm 99% convinced Adobe CC Client is the culprit!

As per my previous posts I have been running stock Sierra installation for 3 days now without a single glitch, I installed Adobe CC client, Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC half an hour ago and the glitches are instantly back. I'm just waiting for another video to upload to YouTube so I can share it with you all but I had the screen glitch all over the screen for at least 4 minutes, changing resolution, wallpaper, GPU from discrete to intel made no difference it was persistent. Eventually switching the resolution multiple times caused something to clear and refresh the screen. This time I tried moving some windows through the glitch and it appears to move with it so perhaps some core graphics conflict with Adobe somewhere?

I think given my machine ran smoothly without any third party apps installed and then the instant I installed Adobe CC it started glitching is solid evidence that it's third party software to blame here and not hardware? Unless Adobe CC is "reaching" other parts of the hardware which a stock Sierra install simply doesn't reach?

Here's a 4 minute long video of the full screen glitch after installed Adobe CC Client, Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC. Note I wasn't even using the apps at the time, I had just logged back in. This wasn't the most colourful of glitches, I did have one that was a complete rainbow over the screen but unfortunately I didn't have my phone to hand so this one is less colourful but clearly glitching none-the-less.

I also have adobe cc with lightroom and photoshop installed, which could also help convince

Reactions: scoopz

BondFancy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to debug the 15", looking like a software issue, thank god. Guess the source that said crappy 3rd party drivers is to blame is correct.

Reactions: scoopz

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
But, there are others in this thread that are experiencing graphics issues with no 3rd party software. I'm still not convinced enough to purchase that this is a software only issue. Waiting to see how this all plays out with my money safely in the bank.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.