Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
I've seen occasional flickering in Acorn, the Steam In-Home Streaming client, and mpv. Also sometimes seeing rendering bugs in Chrome. No crashes. Glitches aren't persistent, and they don’t seem to be linked to GPU temperature or load. I’m on a 13” TB (i7 / 16 / 512) running 10.12.1 (16B2657).

Assuming it’s not a software issue, I’m probably just going to wait until the new year to bring it in for repair/replacement. The glitches are infrequent, I don’t have much free time this month, and I don’t want to wait weeks for a new machine.

Reactions: JanInLA
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I'm blaming Adobe. Coming from the Mac Pro forum we have seen issues like this for months related to OpenCL and Metal. Some apps are not playing well with either AMD or Nvidia web drivers. They needed to test more before they release software updates. But how are they supposed to do that if they don't have access to every hardware combination possible, new machines or pre-release hardware??

Run any of these apps in Boot Camp and see if the glitches are occurring. If not then it's not hardware problem.

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
Run any of these apps in Boot Camp and see if the glitches are occurring. If not then it's not hardware problem.

Good idea, I've deleted my bootcamp, but I need to do this test (but me I don't have any adobe app, and I 've a lot of weird issue for 2 hours every morning and after that all the day is fine)

Reactions: Guy Mancuso

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
I've seen occasional flickering in Acorn, the Steam In-Home Streaming client, and mpv. Also sometimes seeing rendering bugs in Chrome. No crashes. Glitches aren't persistent, and they don’t seem to be linked to GPU temperature or load. I’m on a 13” TB (i7 / 16 / 512) running 10.12.1 (16B2657).

Assuming it’s not a software issue, I’m probably just going to wait until the new year to bring it in for repair/replacement. The glitches are infrequent, I don’t have much free time this month, and I don’t want to wait weeks for a new machine.
So it affects also 13 inch MBP?

Well, that is a clue, that the issues are not hardware related. But only software.
I am on my second... YES SECOND 2016 fully maxed out MacBook Pro 15" after my first one froze after five minutes of processing video with adobe premiere pro. It happened every time I tried to process video. The computer got super hot and then the screen froze, bright colors, and was worthless. Second one does the same thing. This is a hardware issue and is systemic across the board. I can't believe they didn't catch this before deployment.
I know it can be painful, but the fact that both 13 inch and 15 inch MBP are affected by GPU glitches tells that this is NOT hardware related problem.

Reactions: JanInLA

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Has everyone with glitches tried smc reset? When i got mine i had glitch on the white apple logo when starting (showed double apples and one was blinking) but after smc reset i havent seen any glitches at all.

Though i lose wifi everytime it wake up from sleep and need to reconnect it.
And one time when it went to sleep on battery during night it took 4 tries to start it again in the morning. When i finally got back to the OS the battery showed 70% so it wasnt out of battery..

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
I am sending my 15" maxed out MBP back for a refund Monday. Has crashed running safari (researching a previous crash), crashed installing office 365, froze and stuttered more times than I can count and then last night had a critical crash while my VM was updating windows which corrupted windows.

Went back to my 2013 MBP today and sadly the first thought I had was "wow...this feels like a smoother computer then the 2016 MBP". Might just be a lemon but I can't afford to take the chance as I depend on a rock solid machine to make my livelihood...I think I will hold onto my 2013 for a while : (

Don't think it was a lemon, mine had a very similar experience of crashing after opening safari

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
I can confirm : not a software issue (or maybe a Sierra issue). I 've format my MacBook Pro 13 (with touchbar), I have not installed anything, and after a sleep for 2 hours, again the glitch and the display issue ;( I don't want to go to the repaire process : I'm sending back the MacBook Pro and I'll buy a new one...

Seriously, more than 2k $ in a computer and so many problem ...

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Update: After another lengthy call from Apple yesterday, since I had no documents on this machine yet, they asked me to wipe the SSD and reinstall via the Recovery Partition. That in itself took much longer than I expected (1.5hour and I have a fast broadband connection) but I'm now back into a factory fresh OS X and am not installing anything at all for now.

Last time I had just Adobe Lightroom CC and Adobe Photoshop CC installed along with the Adobe Desktop Client and CC client that come with it and I had signed into iCloud. I didn't sign in to iCloud and I've installed no software and for the last 24 hours I've not seen a single graphics glitch, not even the repeatable split second one during login.

I'm continuing to use this as a (very expensive) web only device as a control test. Safari use only, no plugins, no App Store installs, no Adobe product installation at all, nothing. I'll report back again tomorrow and then install a few Apple apps, log in to iCloud, sync with Photos app, etc.

If it runs fine without anything installed then, to me at least, that's fairly reassuring that it's perhaps software related not hardware. Maybe it is Adobe Desktop Client that is causing the issues somehow? I know most people reporting the glitches were using Premier or media encoder at the time, unlike me who had no Adobe apps open, but there is always the Adobe Desktop Client running in the background upon login.

Before anybody says it, yes I know this machine isn't meant to be just a web client and I know that nobody in their right mind would buy a machine this powerful/expensive (subjective) to not install 3rd party apps but before we all start thinking the worst and blaming hardware failure, I'm leaning towards software incompatibility issues at the moment.

I'm very tempted to just install Adobe Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC again like last time and see if that provokes a graphics glitch but I feel I should do some more control tests on a fresh installation for another day maybe to reassure myself there's no issues as it stands.

chrisbalo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
London, UK
I've been reading this thread and while I wait for my 15'' MBP to be delivered this Monday, I can't believe that this could be a graphics issue all over again. I'm saying this because I'm upgrading from a Late 2011 15'' MBP with ATI graphics card. In the last 1.5 years Apple changed my logic board three (yes, three) times (for free) on a "Quality Program" because of a widespread problem with most of the laptops from that time, just like mine. And now there is a slight chance I will have to deal with this again....this is so sad..:eek:

Reactions: symphara

BondFancy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
I've been reading this thread and while I wait for my 15'' MBP to be delivered this Monday, I can't believe that this could be a graphics issue all over again. I'm saying this because I'm upgrading from a Late 2011 15'' MBP with ATI graphics card. In the last 1.5 years Apple changed my logic board three (yes, three) times (for free) on a "Quality Program" because of a widespread problem with most of the laptops from that time, just like mine. And now there is a slight chance I will have to deal with this again....this is so sad..:eek:
Yeah it's a shame, there was an article on either MR or 9 to 5 about a reliable source telling them it's a software issue caused by crappy third party drivers. If I run into any serious dGPU problems I am picking up the 2015 15" with iGPU only from B&H.

chrisbalo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
London, UK
Yeah it's a shame, there was an article on either MR or 9 to 5 about a reliable source telling them it's a software issue caused by crappy third party drivers. If I run into any serious dGPU problems I am picking up the 2015 15" with iGPU only from B&H.
I think I will keep the old MPB for a while as a backup. Just in case...

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I don't have the Adobe suite but I would like to test if I have the same problems. Anyone know how to test it without Adobe Premiere?
People had problems with the photo app when they were moving large files. Do you have a screen glitch when you log in after a re-start?
[doublepost=1480805557][/doublepost]
Has everyone with glitches tried smc reset? When i got mine i had glitch on the white apple logo when starting (showed double apples and one was blinking) but after smc reset i havent seen any glitches at all.

Though i lose wifi everytime it wake up from sleep and need to reconnect it.
And one time when it went to sleep on battery during night it took 4 tries to start it again in the morning. When i finally got back to the OS the battery showed 70% so it wasnt out of battery..
SMC reset didn't change anything for me

Reactions: scoopz

Benlehot

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2010
Montreal, Canada

Exactly the same glitches for me. Also with 13 TB i7 / 16 / 512

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Exactly the same glitches for me. Also with 13 TB i7 / 16 / 512
So weird - a lot of these problems seem to be totally different from each other. I have no issues besides the ones in Adobe. (If you don't count the startup glitch)

gatme

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Is any of you seeing some black/gray lines when accessing Time Machine? I wonder if this has anything to do with the problems you are having.

Photo.jpg

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Update: After another lengthy call from Apple yesterday, since I had no documents on this machine yet, they asked me to wipe the SSD and reinstall via the Recovery Partition. That in itself took much longer than I expected (1.5hour and I have a fast broadband connection) but I'm now back into a factory fresh OS X and am not installing anything at all for now.

Last time I had just Adobe Lightroom CC and Adobe Photoshop CC installed along with the Adobe Desktop Client and CC client that come with it and I had signed into iCloud. I didn't sign in to iCloud and I've installed no software and for the last 24 hours I've not seen a single graphics glitch, not even the repeatable split second one during login.

I'm continuing to use this as a (very expensive) web only device as a control test. Safari use only, no plugins, no App Store installs, no Adobe product installation at all, nothing. I'll report back again tomorrow and then install a few Apple apps, log in to iCloud, sync with Photos app, etc.

If it runs fine without anything installed then, to me at least, that's fairly reassuring that it's perhaps software related not hardware. Maybe it is Adobe Desktop Client that is causing the issues somehow? I know most people reporting the glitches were using Premier or media encoder at the time, unlike me who had no Adobe apps open, but there is always the Adobe Desktop Client running in the background upon login.

Before anybody says it, yes I know this machine isn't meant to be just a web client and I know that nobody in their right mind would buy a machine this powerful/expensive (subjective) to not install 3rd party apps but before we all start thinking the worst and blaming hardware failure, I'm leaning towards software incompatibility issues at the moment.

I'm very tempted to just install Adobe Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC again like last time and see if that provokes a graphics glitch but I feel I should do some more control tests on a fresh installation for another day maybe to reassure myself there's no issues as it stands.
Thank you so much for sharing. This is very interesting. Sounds like a deeply rooted software issue to me. Probably not just one party to blame. Premiere works under certain contiontions (when I use the internal drive exclusively - but no pro works like this) and FCPX has zero issues. Waiting and praying. Hopefully I can cancel that second MBP I ordered.

JMac1996

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Germany, Flensburg
How about this one!? :mad:
Who needs a Touch bar when you can have it bugging around on your Desktop instead!?

Pissed of

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-04 um 13.36.52.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-04 um 13.36.52.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 231

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
now i had my first graphic glitch, the swirly colored lines came blinked when logging in to computer after start from a fully shutdown (not sleep)

and i thought mine was fine..

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Do you have Filevault turned on?

nope not any filevault, but looked different than that filevault glitch, was like swirly lines that was in different colors but only blinked once for 0,2 sec duration. But came when i pressed enter to login

the apple hardware diagnostics didnt find anything. And i have played overwatch on a win bootcamp on this one without any problems for 5 hours yesterday (graphics heavy)
and i have adobe apps installed which some ppl think are the thing giving errors. So im guessing its software problems in macos sierra?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
nope not any filevault, but looked different than that filevault glitch, was like swirly lines that was in different colors but only blinked once for 0,2 sec duration. But came when i pressed enter to login

the apple hardware diagnostics didnt find anything. And i have played overwatch on a win bootcamp on this one without any problems for 5 hours yesterday (graphics heavy)
and i have adobe apps installed which some ppl think are the thing giving errors. So im guessing its software problems in macos sierra?

If no glitches show in Windows gaming then it couldn't be a hardware issue because those apps push it all to the max.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
If no glitches show in Windows gaming then it couldn't be a hardware issue because those apps push it all to the max.

Yeah even had good framerate stable 60 fps on high settings, no drops or such.

But this is the exact same glitch i got

and apple support said i should contact sales to get a replacement computer. Even when they didnt know yet if its hardware or software error

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Yeah even had good framerate stable 60 fps on high settings, no drops or such.

But this is the exact same glitch i got

and apple support said i should contact sales to get a replacement computer. Even when they didnt know yet if its hardware or software error

Looking at that glitch the pattern followed the line of the Sierra mountains. Looks like a software bug. A hardware glitch would ignore the background wallpaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.