Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
After reading this thread, I finally fixed the login glitch that appears when loading into the computer, I hope they still fix this so I don't have to always disable my file vault. With that fixed, I still suffer from one issue though, I wonder if anyone here has it too.

When I try logging on to my MBP, I am presented with the login page where you see all the available profiles. When I click my profile, the screen suddenly slows down and fades to the next password page. Once there, I am unable to input my password, I can do nothing but either click the restart or shut down button. After a few restarts, I was able to finally put in my password again. I keep restarting my Mac after that and I still get this problem.

I'm not sure if this is related with the same issues here, would it be a software glitch which I should just wait for apple to update and fix? or is it hardware and should I go to Apple support for a repair or fix?

Same problem as mine take forever to actually get to the desktop and then when I try and open safari it freezes and shuts off

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
Me too , MacBook Pro 13 with touchbar ;( same problem @MyiBill . And it's take 2 hours before my mac is functional. Every morinig , it seem the MacBook Pro need to warm a little like an old car and after that all is fine during the whole day. But like a ghost screen and all the windows remain on the screen with so many little horizontal lines , the cursor show only at the top of the screen, and I can see the little lines at the apple logo when I restart the mac. Hard to explain, tomorrow I' ll do a video.

I've tested the public beta and i've the same issue ... i m in the 14 days return period but it remains to me 4 days to return it. If it's a software issue , I can wait but if it's hardware I don't want to do all the process to be replace or repair...

And 3 weeks before a new delivery in France ;(

JMac1996

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Germany, Flensburg
So sadly I experienced my first GPU/Display/Software/whatever issue :(
I have Bitwig Studio installed on my new Mac. Yesterday everything was fine. I started Bitwig and installed my content. Today, I was going to start the program and for a half second my Display/Desktop went completely red, before the program opened and everything seemed to be fine.
I am very scared.
Hopefully there will be a good fix for software issues like it.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Just went to the Apple Store, they said they wouldn't want their brand new $3k computer to go to the Genius Bar so they'll replace it, don't have the model I have in stock so they said they'll give me the higher spec processor for the same price, only problem turned out to be that since I had mine shipped to Delaware they'd need to charge sales tax to do the exchange so I just ended up with a refund

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
Guys, don't exchange your MBPs because of the login glitch with FileVault enabled.

If the solution you propose is true:

1) Disabling FileVault is not a solution, it's a way of avoiding the issue.

2) There are many cases in Apple's recent history where certain issues were never solved or it took Apple months to solve.

The only sensible course of action is to get a refund and wait a couple of months and see if these issues persist or not.
[doublepost=1480643623][/doublepost]
Hopefully there will be a good fix for software issues like it.

And how do you know it's a software issue?

Apple has a pretty long history of GPU hardware problems.

MattDMG

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
I put my new MBP to work right away and edited a project in Premiere Pro.
When I used the Adobe Media Encoder the graphics card freaked out and computer crashed.
I went to the Apple Store and they said it's probably a hardware problem.
So I ordered a new one.
I kept the MPB I have now because when I switched over to FCPX everything seems to be working fine.
But the technician said I shouldn't trust it after I showed him the video of it freaking out. I have the
Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

UPDATE: This didn't happen after I created a new project on this MPB. The other project that made the computer crash was created on a MacPro with a NIVIDIA graphics card. Interesting.
But there is still a weird graphics glitch when I restart the computer.

I put my new MBP to work right away and edited a project in Premiere Pro.
When I used the Adobe Media Encoder the graphics card freaked out and computer crashed.
I went to the Apple Store and they said it's probably a hardware problem.
So I ordered a new one.
I kept the MPB I have now because when I switched over to FCPX everything seems to be working fine.
But the technician said I shouldn't trust it after I showed him the video of it freaking out. I have the
Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

UPDATE: This didn't happen after I created a new project on this MPB. The other project that made the computer crash was created on a MacPro with a NIVIDIA graphics card. Interesting.
But there is still a weird graphics glitch when I restart the computer.

This happen to me on the Radeon 455 - so it's definitely not just the 460. I was running adobe premier - nothing heavy, very basic stuff. two times it strobed and another two times it just shut off. I returned it today. I'll wait until the issue is resolved. So sad. I really needed the upgrade.
[doublepost=1480645289][/doublepost]Had the radeon 455 and mine freaked out too. Apple said they haven't heard of the problem. Absolute BS. I told them to check the forums and offered to send them links.

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
NEW DEVELOPMENT: Apple called me from Cupertino. They put together a group of engineers to get to the root of this.
I re-created the incident while I was on the phone with them and sent them the log files of the crash. They also want to 'capture' my computer with all the files on it to investigate more. (After I get a replacement)
Did anybody else get that phone call?

bab5139

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2016
When you say it freaks out on book, do you mean the multicolored rainbow of lines that appear right after boot for a couple of seconds? That's what I'm seeing.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
NEW DEVELOPMENT: Apple called me from Cupertino. They put together a group of engineers to get to the root of this.
I re-created the incident while I was on the phone with them and sent them the log files of the crash. They also want to 'capture' my computer with all the files on it to investigate more. (After I get a replacement)

That's good news. Let's hope they find a cause and have a solution fairly quickly. I know what it's like to depend on tech to make a living and not have it work the way it's supposed to. The money invested in the gear is one thing, but to have it seriously impact an owner's revenue generation just makes it worse.

bab5139

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2016
the only graphics glitch I've noticed with my 460 is when I turn on my Mac and click to login once I hit enter and it begins to load the bottom part of the screen glitches out for a second then everything is normal ...
hmmm

This is exactly what I am seeing as well. But i've seen lots of windows machines do this over the years and it never attributed to much. But when I pay this much it better be flawless ;-)

Reactions: flowave

deadserious

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
I am on my second... YES SECOND 2016 fully maxed out MacBook Pro 15" after my first one froze after five minutes of processing video with adobe premiere pro. It happened every time I tried to process video. The computer got super hot and then the screen froze, bright colors, and was worthless. Second one does the same thing. This is a hardware issue and is systemic across the board. I can't believe they didn't catch this before deployment.

Reactions: flowave

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I am on my second... YES SECOND 2016 fully maxed out MacBook Pro 15" after my first one froze after five minutes of processing video with adobe premiere pro. It happened every time I tried to process video. The computer got super hot and then the screen froze, bright colors, and was worthless. Second one does the same thing. This is a hardware issue and is systemic across the board. I can't believe they didn't catch this before deployment.

Do you use an external drive for the footage? I've been using an external SSD when this happened.
ALSO: I started the Premiere Pro project on my old Mac Pro with a NIVIDA graphics card (CUDA)
BECAUSE: when I started a new project with the files on the internal drive - NOTHING BAD HAPPENED.
Also FCPX works just fine.

toptip

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Berlin, Germany

why are you so sure it is hardware related ?
I had problems in the past with a 2012 imac and weird nvidia drivers and it was always adobes or nvidias fault. but with software updates or downgrades it worked out.

I ask because other people in those forums report that everything is stable with final cut pro x and non-adobe apps.
So I am wondering if this was hardware related why other apps won't replicate these glitches...

But I feel your pain. I pulled the trigger yesterday because I need a new notebook. Hopefully it is not the hardware...

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
I didn't get another call but when I was on the phone to Apple earlier in the week to report my fault they transferred me to another department and the senior tech I was talking to asked me to go through step by step what I was doing at the time and then asked if I would mind sending them a complete data log dump. They also seemed interested in the fact I had the glitches with no other apps open and asked if I had any other Adobe apps than Lightroom and Photoshop installed (which I don't).

They sent me a link to download a DMG file which contained an app called Capture_Data which ran for around 5 minutes collecting and compressing all the log files ready for me to send to them. Is this a similar process you went through JanInLA?

I've also got an issue with the WiFi failing after sleep which I've never had before and it's happened on both home and work networks now. I won't hijack this thread with that issue but I might start a new one.
[doublepost=1480692830][/doublepost]
(After I get a replacement)
Was your machine Build To Order or "off the shelf" spec? Have they told you how long you need to wait for replacement and have you got to return yours before then ship you a new one?

I am on my second... YES SECOND 2016 fully maxed out MacBook Pro 15"
Similar question to you, did you have to return your original one and then wait for a replacement?

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
When you say it freaks out on book, do you mean the multicolored rainbow of lines that appear right after boot for a couple of seconds? That's what I'm seeing.
I haven't experienced this, but I heard other people mentioning it. There seems to be a whole set of problems.
[doublepost=1480694573][/doublepost]
I didn't get another call but when I was on the phone to Apple earlier in the week to report my fault they transferred me to another department and the senior tech I was talking to asked me to go through step by step what I was doing at the time and then asked if I would mind sending them a complete data log dump. They also seemed interested in the fact I had the glitches with no other apps open and asked if I had any other Adobe apps than Lightroom and Photoshop installed (which I don't).

They sent me a link to download a DMG file which contained an app called Capture_Data which ran for around 5 minutes collecting and compressing all the log files ready for me to send to them. Is this a similar process you went through JanInLA?
That's exactly the same thing I did. So this happened to Lightroom and Photoshop? I haven't even used those yet. My problem was with Premiere and Media Encoder.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016

I'm guessing your thread was shared both inside and outside of MacRumors, that the call specifically highlighted that it was from Cupertino. Wish you all the best of luck with this

Reactions: JanInLA

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
So this happened to Lightroom and Photoshop?
I installed but never even got around to opening Photoshop CC.
I used Lightroom without any problems to edit 50 client images, export them and then closed Lightroom, the system was restarted since the last Lightroom use.

I never had a single glitch during Lightroom use or when Lightroom was open, my glitch happened after trying to use Apple's Migration Assistant but quitting out of it, which returns you to the login screen. Once logged in the screen was covered in yellow artefacts as per this video and at the time the computer was cold, no apps open. Apple wanted to know which Adobe apps I had installed and how I installed them (via CC installation) but seemed surprised when I told them no Adobe apps were open at the time of the glitch and it was straight from login.

However, Adobe could still be the cause since technically when logging in the Adobe CC widget does get installed up in the task bar.

Thanks for your updates, hopefully they get to the bottom of this soon.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
Adobe could still be the cause since technically when logging in the Adobe CC widget does get installed up in the task bar.

It's possible. Even more when you consider that Adobe has malware running on your system even when Adobe CC is closed.

upload_2016-12-2_12-49-44.png

Although I doubt it. I'm betting these nasty glitches are either a hardware problem, a driver problem, or maybe an OpenGL/Metal implementation of the OS. All hard problems to solve.

MindBreaker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I don't have the Adobe suite but I would like to test if I have the same problems. Anyone know how to test it without Adobe Premiere?

Reactions: poorcody

gatme

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Hey guys,

I have a similar problem. Haven't experienced full color flashes but the system hangs (nothing works, I can only move the mouse) and it seems to be at the exact moment when the switch between the two GPUs occur. It's happened at least 10 times in the last 3 days. Once I were able to replicate this by Disabling the option "Automatic graphics switching" and once by using gfxCardStatus. I'm trying to replicate it again but no luck for the last couple of hours. I am also experiencing the graphics glitch on login and another one when using Time Machine. I took a photo of the Time Machine glitch and a screenshot as well. The glitch on the screenshot is not visible so isn't that an indication that the problem is not in the OS? Maybe firmware based or a hardware one. As to the log, I see a lot of .gpuRestart events related to the Intel GPU.

15"/2.9/1TB/460

Photo.jpg Screenshot.jpg

Blackrock83

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
I am sending my 15" maxed out MBP back for a refund Monday. Has crashed running safari (researching a previous crash), crashed installing office 365, froze and stuttered more times than I can count and then last night had a critical crash while my VM was updating windows which corrupted windows.

Went back to my 2013 MBP today and sadly the first thought I had was "wow...this feels like a smoother computer then the 2016 MBP". Might just be a lemon but I can't afford to take the chance as I depend on a rock solid machine to make my livelihood...I think I will hold onto my 2013 for a while : (

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.