Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatme

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
I'm having a weird issue with my mac freezing completely if the GPU switches from ATI to Intel while the Viber app is running. The machine stops responding and the only way to get out of this is hard reset. Looks like the kernel is crashing. Is anyone else experiencing this?

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
I am seeing screen tearing and small blinking artifacts on my setup when CPU usage is high and the fan starts to kick in. For example, when Safari is open with multiple tabs and I run a build of an app in Android Studio (Google's version of Xcode for Android apps):

- 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro
- FileVault is OFF
- 2.9 i5 CPU
- Intel 550 graphics
- 8GB RAM
- Clamshell (MacBook closed) mode using an external 27" Dell 4K P2715Q display
- macOS Sierra 10.12.2 Beta 16C60b
- Using a StarTech DisplayPort to USB-C cable (from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9RTEI8/)

Frustrating as hell!!!

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
I was called out by some comments (on other websites that posted my video) saying I never proved I was running Sierra Beta 10.12.2 or that I had faked it and I'd been messing with the colour profiles (sigh).

So last night when it glitched again I made another, longer, even more boring 9 minute video in glorious 4K of the glitch and ran through a whole host of different things which I've time-stamped in the video description to save you wasting your life wondering what I'm trying to show:

2016 MacBook Pro - Sierra Beta 10.12.2 hasn't fixed graphics issue
(00:27) - Window shadow affects the issue when being dragged
(01:06) - toggling between GPUs
(01:40) - switching wallpaper
(02:15) - showing Retina LCD current running off Intel 530
(02:49) - showing Retina LCD switched and running off Radeon 460 Pro
(03:39) - System Reports showing AdobeGCClient crashes at time of current glitch
(04:51) - coreauthd crash logs also reported at the same time
(05:16) - iBridge-stacks.bridge log
(05:32) - Recent errors all at the start time of the issue
(06:54) - turn off wifi to see if any effect
(07:10) - quick look at Activity Monitor
(07:43) - still present in Launchpad
(08:27) - confirmation I'm on Sierra 10.12.2 Beta (16C60B)
(08:48) - change of resolution, after short delay, back to normal. Historically changing resolution didn't fix it, clicking on the colour tab fixed it.

This time when I was trying to show that switching resolution doesn't solve anything it eventually snapped back to normal, I've had this happen once or twice before but normally you can switch resolutions quite a lot and it has no effect.

Reactions: pier

Shadow Puppets

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2016
I was called out by some comments (on other websites that posted my video) saying I never proved I was running Sierra Beta 10.12.2 or that I had faked it and I'd been messing with the colour profiles (sigh).

So last night when it glitched again I made another, longer, even more boring 9 minute video in glorious 4K of the glitch and ran through a whole host of different things which I've time-stamped in the video description to save you wasting your life wondering what I'm trying to show:

(03:39) - System Reports showing AdobeGCClient crashes at time of current glitch
(08:48) - change of resolution, after short delay, back to normal. Historically changing resolution didn't fix it, clicking on the colour tab fixed it.

This time when I was trying to show that switching resolution doesn't solve anything it eventually snapped back to normal, I've had this happen once or twice before but normally you can switch resolutions quite a lot and it has no effect.

I'm assuming you've shared this info with Apple, so that they have a chance in figuring out what the problems are?

Reactions: adelonte

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
I'm assuming you've shared this info with Apple, so that they have a chance in figuring out what the problems are?
Absolutely! It's been sent to several senior techs at Apple which hopefully might help them find the fix. Whilst it was made primarily to prove I am running Beta 10.12.2 and that I wasn't faking a colour profile, hopefully, it'll be very helpful for the Apple engineers currently looking into this issue too.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I'll concur that it hasn't fixed the graphics issues. I've had my own & they haven't been resolved. However oddly enough 10.12.2 beta has solved a few other pesky bugs. So it continues.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 1.21.32 PM.png
Screen tears. Glitches. Mission Control 3 second hangs, etc.
13" TB 8/512

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010

Oh hey.

I have seen stuff that looks a lot like that.

When I saw it, it was apps that didn't support 30-bit color mode interacting badly with a 30-bit color display setup. I got that by configuring a Linux X server for a 30-bit color mode, then running apps which didn't know about it.

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
New beta out. Beta 6. Anyone still seeing issues?
Just downloading it now to do some thorough testing. Fingers crossed.
Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 21.46.41.png

[doublepost=1481236680][/doublepost]Arrrghhhh! Still not fixed. Now running the 6th public Beta - 10.12.2 Beta (16C63a) which was just released and the glitch is still there. Just uploading a video now to YouTube to demonstrate.

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Here's my latest video this evening, running the 6th Beta that just came out tonight 10.12.2. (16C63a) and the same graphics glitches still on going

yugioh5d

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2015
Looking at the issue, it makes me feel hesitate in getting the 2016 model...is this only affects a few machines? Or actually a large scale problem?

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Looking at the issue, it makes me feel hesitate in getting the 2016 model...is this only affects a few machines? Or actually a large scale problem?
Unfortunately it's hard to tell how common the problem is, only people having the problem will probably search for, find and comment on these threads. There could be lots of users out there without a single problem but I'm yet to find one.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Look at the way those color-bands go, though. That looks exactly like what you'd get if you had a subtle shadow effect but you were reading 8/8/8/8 RGBA as 10/10/10/2 RGBA or vice-versa. And didn't MacOS recentlyish acquire support for 30-bit color displays?

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
I hope this is not true but if most of the new macbook users out there are not having the same issue (which I think so) this only means it is a problem with some numbers of machines.

I mean if all the devices out there are affected the internet will explode from these people now. (My guess at least half of the users use Adobe products and not to say other apps that couse the same thing)

I think people who have the issue should start replacing their devices and try the same apps on the new devices. if the problem disappeared then it is definitely a hardware thing.

I know some of you don't want to do that because they will have to wait again. but for those who have the configuration they want available in stores they can try that.

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
I think people who have the issue should start replacing their devices and try the same apps on the new devices. if the problem disappeared then it is definitely a hardware thing.
After nearly two weeks of trying different things, reinstallation, beta versions, removing Adobe CC, reinstalling Adobe CC, test user accounts, etc I finally asked Apple if they could authorise a replacement machine for me. Since mine has the 2TB SSD it is a BTO and will take a while to arrive but I still have my original one whilst I wait. I still hold out some hope that it might be a software issue, in which case an update might come out before my replacement machine arrives and I can return the replacement without opening it.

I'll continue trying any Beta versions as and when they are released and I will update once my new MacBook Pro has arrived and been thoroughly tested.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Unfortunately it's hard to tell how common the problem is, only people having the problem will probably search for, find and comment on these threads. There could be lots of users out there without a single problem but I'm yet to find one.

I have no graphic glitches at all on my machine.

Reactions: scoopz

yugioh5d

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2015
After nearly two weeks of trying different things, reinstallation, beta versions, removing Adobe CC, reinstalling Adobe CC, test user accounts, etc I finally asked Apple if they could authorise a replacement machine for me. Since mine has the 2TB SSD it is a BTO and will take a while to arrive but I still have my original one whilst I wait. I still hold out some hope that it might be a software issue, in which case an update might come out before my replacement machine arrives and I can return the replacement without opening it.

I'll continue trying any Beta versions as and when they are released and I will update once my new MacBook Pro has arrived and been thoroughly tested.

You spent so much money on the machine and have to go through all these troubleshooting. I couldn't imagine how much time you have spent going through all these. I hope its a software as well. Apple software nowadays are so buggy.

Reactions: scoopz

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
It is similar type of error to Mac Pro GPUs. And mostly people who are reverting the machine back to 10.9.5 are stopping experiencing the errors, so it is definitely software problem, that Apple tries to fix with hardware replacements, which is completely and utterly pointless.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
At this stage, are we safe to assume that its a hardware issue affecting a few computers? Or is it still a possible chance of software?

Hard to say since these color glitches has been seen on older macbooks with sierra also.. but some glitches ive seen looks like hardware error. I have had 3 different types of glitches and will probably return it. Maby stop using apple computers too. Apple have really bad programmers (bug bug more bugs and then some more never ending bugs), and really bad internal quality it seems like, as long as it looks good its ok for them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.