Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saduser

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
It is similar type of error to Mac Pro GPUs. And mostly people who are reverting the machine back to 10.9.5 are stopping experiencing the errors, so it is definitely software problem, that Apple tries to fix with hardware replacements, which is completely and utterly pointless.

Installing 10.9.5 is likely a non-starter for those of us with a new machine so how can you state it's definitely software??

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Just followed your steps and no such glitch for me.

I'm experiencing the same error & I might take it into apple and see if they are willing to play ball since I have at least four open cases with them at this point for various issues. Some confirmed software, the jury is still out on the others.

What I did and what others who think they are free and clear of the issue is to follow the same steps as above but manually trigger the switch to the 4XX graphics card. You can do that in the energy saver preferences and checking or unchecking the box at the top of the screen. When I unchecked it and forced it to use the 460 card then it gave me the error/screen glitches. Also from casual observation it's only an issue when you have certain apps open and then make the switch. If you have it already on the 460 card it won't be an issue unless you switch it down or vice versa.

To me this smacks of a software issue. Since I can't replicate it without having either (or both) iPhotos open & the Siri window activated. I'm still going to call Apple later tonight and add this to my graphics complaint and send them a video if they so desire. For the record I'm also running the latest Beta.

saduser

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
I'm experiencing the same error & I might take it into apple and see if they are willing to play ball since I have at least four open cases with them at this point for various issues. Some confirmed software, the jury is still out on the others.

What I did and what others who think they are free and clear of the issue is to follow the same steps as above but manually trigger the switch to the 4XX graphics card. You can do that in the energy saver preferences and checking or unchecking the box at the top of the screen. When I unchecked it and forced it to use the 460 card then it gave me the error/screen glitches. Also from casual observation it's only an issue when you have certain apps open and then make the switch. If you have it already on the 460 card it won't be an issue unless you switch it down or vice versa.

To me this smacks of a software issue. Since I can't replicate it without having either (or both) iPhotos open & the Siri window activated. I'm still going to call Apple later tonight and add this to my graphics complaint and send them a video if they so desire. For the record I'm also running the latest Beta.

I've got 2 defects logged with them in feedback assistant but I haven't heard anything.

It's such a simple thing to reproduce I cannot believe it would have made it through any kind of QC. It smells of software but since not everyone is getting it I'm now leaning towards hardware.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I've got 2 defects logged with them in feedback assistant but I haven't heard anything.

It's such a simple thing to reproduce I cannot believe it would have made it through any kind of QC. It smells of software but since not everyone is getting it I'm now leaning towards hardware.
I'm probably going to do what I did last time I went into Apple. Show them the defect on my machine then attempt to reproduce it on the display models. If I can reproduce it on their display models I'll safely say it's software if it doesn't reproduce I'll either be asking Apple for a replacement and/or to make a note & honor the holiday return policy with my order.

saduser

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
I'm probably going to do what I did last time I went into Apple. Show them the defect on my machine then attempt to reproduce it on the display models. If I can reproduce it on their display models I'll safely say it's software if it doesn't reproduce I'll either be asking Apple for a replacement and/or to make a note & honor the holiday return policy with my order.

Please let me (us) know what happens... I likely would be able to make it to the store until after x-mas.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Please let me (us) know what happens... I likely would be able to make it to the store until after x-mas.

Will do. I've got an email out to one of the three Apple support people I have been working with on the issue to see if he has any thoughts. I did send him the video as a mail drop at least (if it works). I'll give him a day or so to get back to me then it will be a phone call back to Apple asking for the extended return period & a replacement if possible. It pays to be nice about it. Usually they are more than willing to work things out.

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
Thank you guys for all this and waiting for your updates. Special thanks to scoops too.

I will take the risk and place my order online again. it should arrive Jan 4. at that time if the issue is hardware and they still make their laptops with it, that really shame. I hope they will solve this weather it is a software or hardware.
[doublepost=1481419472][/doublepost]
Will do. I've got an email out to one of the three Apple support people I have been working with on the issue to see if he has any thoughts. I did send him the video as a mail drop at least (if it works). I'll give him a day or so to get back to me then it will be a phone call back to Apple asking for the extended return period & a replacement if possible. It pays to be nice about it. Usually they are more than willing to work things out.

Is it possible to ask for extended return period?

Reactions: scoopz

croco_dile

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2016
Anyone else getting this at login:

Edit: not using fileVault. But after some more testing, I can only reproduce the problem when the MBP is plugged into an external display. I tried about 10 times with and without external display. When external display is used, I can reproduce the problem 50% of the time and when I am not using the external display, there was zero occurance.

Last edited:

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Thank you guys for all this and waiting for your updates. Special thanks to scoops too.

I will take the risk and place my order online again. it should arrive Jan 4. at that time if the issue is hardware and they still make their laptops with it, that really shame. I hope they will solve this weather it is a software or hardware.
[doublepost=1481419472][/doublepost]

Is it possible to ask for extended return period?

They have been inconsistent with their holiday return policy if you've ordered before the 10 of November. I ordered on the 29th. However their policy states received between November 10th - December 25th can be returned until the 8th of Jan. It states that however depending upon who you ask they will deny it or say it's not applicable. Some people have actually had luck protesting it (especially with all of the issues).

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
They have been inconsistent with their holiday return policy if you've ordered before the 10 of November. I ordered on the 29th. However their policy states received between November 10th - December 25th can be returned until the 8th of Jan. It states that however depending upon who you ask they will deny it or say it's not applicable. Some people have actually had luck protesting it (especially with all of the issues).

I see thanks. so I guess in my case it will be the usual 14 days return period. I will just hope the issue will be fixed by Jan.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I see thanks. so I guess in my case it will be the usual 14 days return period. I will just hope the issue will be fixed by Jan.

So I just got off of the phone with Apple Care & a Senior Advisor: after looking through all of the notes that the other senior advisors have taken and a description of my error he recommended that the best course of action for everyone (end user, Apple Care team & Engineering) would be to just return or swap out the machine. I asked him directly about the return policy & my order date (Oct 29th) and he stated that the Holiday Return Policy should be in effect for my purchase. He read it a couple of times and his interpretation of the policy is that it clearly states that if you purchased it before November 10th but received it between the 10th of November & December 25th you are covered under the extended return period. So after I get off of work tomorrow I will be making a trip over to the Apple Store near me to settle this issue & hopefully walk away with a new unit.

Reactions: scoopz

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
So I just got off of the phone with Apple Care & a Senior Advisor: after looking through all of the notes that the other senior advisors have taken and a description of my error he recommended that the best course of action for everyone (end user, Apple Care team & Engineering) would be to just return or swap out the machine. I asked him directly about the return policy & my order date (Oct 29th) and he stated that the Holiday Return Policy should be in effect for my purchase. He read it a couple of times and his interpretation of the policy is that it clearly states that if you purchased it before November 10th but received it between the 10th of November & December 25th you are covered under the extended return period. So after I get off of work tomorrow I will be making a trip over to the Apple Store near me to settle this issue & hopefully walk away with a new unit.

Great. waiting for your updates. Also anyone replacing a machine with graphics issues please update us.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Great. waiting for your updates. Also anyone replacing a machine with graphics issues please update us.

I will certainly update. Since I purchased my machine through the Apple education store I already know I will wind up having to go through a few more hoops. It won't help that the unit was picked up one state over that doesn't have sales tax. Any guesses if I'll wind up having to go to that store to sort this out? I'll certainly let everyone know how it goes & how it should work for any "normal" person returning it.

monstruo

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
This dgpu flaw seems more troubling than 2011's MBP.

I remember my 11' machine only started having issue after 2 years and same goes for most other 11 users.
Of course, most folks would pinpoint the issue on these new mbp is a result of apple's obsession with thinness over everything else.

Seriously, why would the engineers allow this to happen again? It's 2016.. c'mon.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Why not just get a replacement ? You can wait for the next software update next week I believe, but you have till 8th Jan to return it, since the machines are delivered after 10th November they fall under extended returns, I have transcript from 2 AppleCare employees confirming this , if there are issues with the return I'll dig them up, looks like an online error from Apple saying we have 2 weeks
[doublepost=1481443542][/doublepost]

The policy is clear, the Apple online is incorrect. You have till 8th, it's received and not ordered. The Apple returns are always from received , otherwise a preorder makes is non existent , even payment was after the 10th November

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I called the store in sweden and they said i have until 8th january to do a return. So its wrong if it says online that we had 2 weeks. I will try a clean install when next sierra version come, if it doesnt fix all issues ill return it and decide if i want to continue with apple after

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
[doublepost=1481443542][/doublepost]

The policy is clear, the Apple online is incorrect. You have till 8th, it's received and not ordered. The Apple returns are always from received , otherwise a preorder makes is non existent , even payment was after the 10th November

My English is not so good. So you mean even if I received mine on Jan 4.. I will only have until 8 Jan to return?

MrPepe

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016
I received my base 13" non touchbar model a week ago and started having graphic glitches at the login screen post wake up. After testing for the same in safe mode and not experiencing any problems for a day, I decided to uninstall all third party apps (F.lux and Spotify were all that I had installed up until then). After uninstalling both and testing for 48 hours, I'm no longer experiencing any of the issues I had before.

I'd really like to know if anyone having the login screen problem has had it without either of these two applications running, but in the meantime I'll be testing with each app individually for a day or so.

PS - I'm new, but not really new. I simply forget my login info from years ago.

1bQumiZ.png

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
My English is not so good. So you mean even if I received mine on Jan 4.. I will only have until 8 Jan to return?

You always have 14 days to return an apple item from the date you receive it.

During the festive season anything bought between 10 Nov - 25 Dec, the return day is 8th jan.

Policy, see holiday season.
http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/help/returns_refund

If you receive an item on the 4th Jan, you have 14 days from the 4th.

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009

Put another way, and the real reason for the policy... Apple allows people to return products up to 15 days after Christmas. January 8th is exactly 15 days after December 25th. This allows those that receive an Apple product as a gift on Christmas morning the usual 15 day return window even though it may have been purchased weeks prior and sat wrapped up under the tree.

Of course, most people just use it as an extended return window allowing them to purchase and use a product for many weeks and still be within a return window. Especially useful for the new MBP.

You will always have a minimum 15 days to return an Apple product regardless of when you buy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArchimeZix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.