Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I will certainly update. Since I purchased my machine through the Apple education store I already know I will wind up having to go through a few more hoops. It won't help that the unit was picked up one state over that doesn't have sales tax. Any guesses if I'll wind up having to go to that store to sort this out? I'll certainly let everyone know how it goes & how it should work for any "normal" person returning it.

Long story short Apple is more than happy to accept a return in my case due to the history & logs. Store rep couldn't even think of anything else to try. On a side note in store diagnostic apps don't release to the store until the 13th.

However if I returned it for a new one in NJ I would have to pay the sales tax. Even when asked about a straight exchange if they had one in stock. Since it's a CTO I'd be waiting either way and while I could take a morning & go to DE I'm going to hold onto this unit for now. Best plan of action for the moment would be to wait it out & see if any of the updates or the full release of 10.12.2 solves it. If it doesn't I have until the 8th & the rep will accept the return.

If anyone else is in this situation the store will honor the holiday return period & you might as well wait for the update. If it hasn't been released by the end of the return period then if it's still an issue I would return it for an exchange or to wait things out a little bit.

In the mean time I think it's time to put a SSD and new battery in my old 17" mid 2009 monster as a backup.

saduser

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
Long story short Apple is more than happy to accept a return in my case due to the history & logs. Store rep couldn't even think of anything else to try. On a side note in store diagnostic apps don't release to the store until the 13th.

However if I returned it for a new one in NJ I would have to pay the sales tax. Even when asked about a straight exchange if they had one in stock. Since it's a CTO I'd be waiting either way and while I could take a morning & go to DE I'm going to hold onto this unit for now. Best plan of action for the moment would be to wait it out & see if any of the updates or the full release of 10.12.2 solves it. If it doesn't I have until the 8th & the rep will accept the return.

If anyone else is in this situation the store will honor the holiday return period & you might as well wait for the update. If it hasn't been released by the end of the return period then if it's still an issue I would return it for an exchange or to wait things out a little bit.

In the mean time I think it's time to put a SSD and new battery in my old 17" mid 2009 monster as a backup.
Did you manage to try any of the in-store machines?

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Did you manage to try any of the in-store machines?
I didn't bother. There have been enough reports of similar behavior from other people. It was also rather crowded. I might go back out there and try for the heck of it again this afternoon assuming I don't get jammed up at work.

enzom21

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
I was getting graphical glitches similar to this after I first setup and restored from my Time Machine backup.:
EDIT: Managed to get some charge into my iPhone and the glitch reappeared randomly so here's some footage of the glitch in Sierra Beta, again around the 1m35s mark you'll see that it reverts to normal only when I click the Colour profile tab. Also, just a reminder that I had 3 days straight with no graphics issues until I installed Adobe CC.
This would happen while using this USB-c to displayport cable. Every time I would open the Macbook lid it would freeze and I would have to use the power button to shut down.

I decided to wipe and start from scratch and see if it was software or hardware issue. Didn't have any problems with freezing or graphic glitches on a fresh install but the second I restored my user data they happened again.

I figured it was a software issue but I purchased this USB-c to HDMI 2.0 adapter and I have had zero issue since. I was even able to get
sudo nvram boot-args="niog=1"
working. This would freeze the macbook using the displayport cable. It might be a hardware and software issue.

Is any who is have issue, using a displayport to USB-c cable?

Reactions: scoopz

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Has anyone returned a graphic glitch machine and received a replacement that solved it yet? If replacement computer solves it its likely hardware errors

ApfelFix

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016
Has anyone returned a graphic glitch machine and received a replacement that solved it yet? If replacement computer solves it its likely hardware errors

It's really weired. I've seen and read a lot of reviews in which people are experiencing no flaws at all, then there are many people whose machines are going berserk for no obvious reason and others are seeing improvement when using the 10.12.2 latest beta while others aren't. It really could be anything from soft- to hardware.
This situation is really wreaking my nervs as I more or less have to update my MBP 2009 now and don't want to replace it with a faulty machine.
Apple should definitely release a statement about those issues, hopefully before x-mas.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
It's really weired. I've seen and read a lot of reviews in which people are experiencing no flaws at all, then there are many people whose machines are going berserk for no obvious reason and others are seeing improvement when using the 10.12.2 latest beta while others aren't. It really could be anything from soft- to hardware.
This situation is really wreaking my nervs as I more or less have to update my MBP 2009 now and don't want to replace it with a faulty machine.
Apple should definitely release a statement about those issues, hopefully before x-mas.

Dont think apple will do statement, not even possible to ask apple support what the problem are.. asked if they knew now since craig said it was fixed in new beta. And if they fix it they should know what the problem are. But seems like the only thing apples support know is how to tell ppl to go to a apple store. Its weird when the users of their computers know more than the support.

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
Did anyone with 450 graphics card faced any graphic glitch???

Edit: never mind.. all the models are affected.

He did it..

Trump.. caused all this.

Last edited:

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Sorry I haven't updated for a few days. I did actually upload one more short video (but I didn't embed it anywhere) simply showing the issue persists when GPU switching, jump to 30 seconds :

However, I have since spoke on the phone with Apple and a replacement BTO machine has been ordered. We ran through several options, returning my one for a refund, returning mine and waiting for a rebuild, but I pointed out that *if* this turns out to be a software issue that is patched this week I'd be better off keeping my current machine whilst the replacement is built. This way, if a fix comes out and solves my issues I'll keep the existing machine and we could try and cancel the BTO or return it unopened and I'll be back up and running glitch free sooner.

They told me to ignore any estimated delivery times as they would try and push it through quicker but for the interest of this thread my current BTO arrival date for my replacement 15/2.9Ghz/Radeon460 4GB/2TB SSD is 4th to 11th January 2017 but this will hopefully be sooner.
upload_2016-12-12_15-28-6.png

Once the new one arrives I should have a few days grace period to transfer documents and return the original one. I don't normally like cloning drives but I could potentially clone the old one to the new one as a test to see if the new one glitches or not. If it doesn't then we know 100% it's hardware. Or I might just set it up as new like before and see how it goes.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009

Not going to happen.

When the 2011 fiasco, which apparently was way more extended than this, it took a class action lawsuit for Apple to start a repair program almost 2 years after the problems started appearing. Even then Apple never released a statement.

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Just had my first graphic card glitch (within pages).

The strange thing is that it is even visible within screenshots (as you can see). Is this normal?

View attachment 677583
and another one…
View attachment 677585
It's visible within screenshots, that's a new one!

Definitely something different to my issue, my screenshots always turn out normal and I can't say I've seen a graphics glitch like that before which is also present in screenshots, but I'm sure somebody here will know more about the relevance of it showing in a screenshot.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
he strange thing is that it is even visible within screenshots (as you can see). Is this normal?
That would indicate to me, that its not a hardware fault, but software, because its the software that is sending what to render to the screen. I'm not expert, but that's my take on it

Lolzerbeam

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2016

I just got my replacement machine, and the computer still glitches and then locks up when I export video from Adobe Media Encoder.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I just got my replacement machine, and the computer still glitches and then locks up when I export video from Adobe Media Encoder.

Then its probably software/driver errors, i found 1 glitch thats possible to replicate on all 15 inch i tried at different stores, which proves that one is software glitch too

Quasselstripper

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2016
Southern Germany
That would indicate to me, that its not a hardware fault, but software, because its the software that is sending what to render to the screen. I'm not expert, but that's my take on it
That's good to hear, that's also what I thought.
After a few swipes in mission control and between spaces the glitch disappeared but it still shows up after a while when I had pages in background for some time. So this seems to be a software-related issue to me indeed.

Let's hope that the new Sierra update fixes that. iOS 10.2 came out today, so the new macOS should also be released soon. Otherwise there is emoji-incompatibility between products, which is not acceptable ;);)
[doublepost=1481578580][/doublepost]
Then its probably software/driver errors, i found 1 glitch thats possible to replicate on all 15 inch i tried at different stores, which proves that one is software glitch too
How do you replicate it?

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
That's good to hear, that's also what I thought.
After a few swipes in mission control and between spaces the glitch disappeared but it still shows up after a while when I had pages in background for some time. So this seems to be a software-related issue to me indeed.

Let's hope that the new Sierra update fixes that. iOS 10.2 came out today, so the new macOS should also be released soon. Otherwise there is emoji-incompatibility between products, which is not acceptable ;);)
[doublepost=1481578580][/doublepost]
How do you replicate it?

Some glitches are software bit some are hardware i think.

Just press "automatic graphic switching" a couple of times after pressed the siri button so the siri window is showing to replicate that one

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Hey! Just to put my two cents in, I updated to the latest beta of MacOS, and all my bugs have disappeared! Even when my touchbar was crashing!

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
After reading the whole thread I believe it's an hardware issue. The issues are not the same. I don't have any of the problems with just my regular desktop image. I have the problem when using Adobe Media encoder. But only then.
If it would be a software issue, shouldn't the issue be the same for all of us?
Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm waiting for my replacement while still using the one I got first. Works like a charm if I don't use Adobe.
In FCPX I can replay RED footage in real time. Pretty amazing.

Reactions: scoopz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.