Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Dear SoyCapitanSoyCapitan, I don't know you but you come out as very sure about the things you write and very apologetic for Apple.

It seems that after 25 pages (in this thread alone) there is a lot of information and evidence that have no effect on you. In other words you are a fact resistant person. After reading your profile signature above it made me wonder. Do you have any proof to support your claims?

Proof, like using Macs since the 90s and studying every API that is being used (for example, the glitch from GPUs switching is also a switch between Metal and GL in the background)

I'm not falling for this 'show me proof' argument trick. You either have to respect that I have sacrificed my time to lay out reasonable advice for you, or you can insult people like me with personal challenges and keep posting hysteria.

We will just sit back and place a warning sign over your head so that reasonable readers will understand what kind of information is floating around here. We know disinformation trolls when we see them. It's too common now.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
OS 9 to OS X was a completely new OS.

Thee have been several OS X redesigns involving Quartz. Anyone doubting this needs no further response than this.

Could you give a specific concrete number as to how many times Quartz has been "redesigned" in your opinion? I can't tell what you mean by "redesign" here. Usually, to me, a "redesign" is when you go all the way back to the design phase and start over, producing a new design. Merely adding features to an API isn't a "redesign".

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I've been getting this issue on my 13" with Iris 550 every morning when I open the lid from sleep. Any ideas what that's all about? If I put it to sleep and wake it up again, all is fine. No restart needed.

I'm on 10.12.2

Attachments

• IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    617.1 KB · Views: 324

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I don't think this had to do with the graphics card, but still bizarre and wanted to see if others had this issue. I went to picture in picture a youtube video. When I went to do this my computer froze while the video was still playing. After the computer froze the touch bar was still fully functional, however, all the keys were frozen. In this weird state I could still move the mouse, but no clicks were accepted. Furthermore, my entire screen was shrunk to a small square in the middle of my screen with black surrounding the rest of it. I had to force shut it down and reboot it, the issue then went away.
This has been happening to me too. Not just in mission control. Screen freezes but mouse moves, dock still works. Clicks don't register. Can't force quit anything.

obyvatel

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Proof, like using Macs since the 90s and studying every API that is being used (for example, the glitch from GPUs switching is also a switch between Metal and GL in the background)

I'm not falling for this 'show me proof' argument trick. You either have to respect that I have sacrificed my time to lay out reasonable advice for you, or you can insult people like me with personal challenges and keep posting hysteria.

We will just sit back and place a warning sign over your head so that reasonable readers will understand what kind of information is floating around here. We know disinformation trolls when we see them. It's too common now.

I am amazed how the word "troll" is used to compensate for lack of arguments (or will to argue) in all forums globally. It is the same reasoning behind labeling people terrorists because they have a long beard and dark skin.

You sacrificed your time? It is supposed to be a forum. It is not an obligation. However, with an admittedly quick search, it seems that you answer almost every single post that says something negative about Apple. I am actually sacrificing my time as well and I am sure there are many who'd rather do other things that looking for answers in forums. I respect your answers and everyone's opinions and I never meant to insult you.

I have been using macs since the 90's as well with the capacity of a consumer not a developer and it is the first time I experience a google search giving me results mostly negative about a mac product (a so expensive product I might add). Especially strong criticism that originates from loyal Apple customers.

All this rationalization about API's and other development misfires simply does not cut it. There are many things wrong with the new macbook pro and that is a fact. Apple should not have pushed it to customers underdeveloped,that is common sense depending on one's ethical standing.

I wouldn't mind about all this if Apple had the "courage" to come out and publicly accept their fault and inform people about the problems. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the last OS update fixed all issues. I'd go and buy it. But no, Apple won't come out and accept responsibility and alas, the last update has not fixed all issues. So after one and half months after the first reviews, major problems are still out there. And people like me who have been waiting for more than a year for the "proper" macbook pro update are quite confused. It is actually funny to see so many people returning their 2016 models and buying the older models (that were already 2+ years behind the technology of their time). And I don't mind that. Cause people paid the extra money for older tech in order to get probably the best OS. But this has changed too. After the rock stable snow leopard there has been a constant bloating of the OS in what seems to be a planned obsolescence strategy. The hardware runs slower so you need to get a new mac. The new branch of this strategy involves gluing the components.

So the problem is not just a graphics card freaking out or other smaller problems. The problem is that Apple has CONSCIOUSLY taken a direction towards more profits, disregarding the market niche that made Apple what it is now. Of course this will come back at Apple because all the hipsters who buy a macbook for it being trendy, they will very quickly abandon it for the next trendy thing, which is probably out there already. If there are any intelligent people left at the company they should try to fix things. Otherwise even the loyal customers like me are going to abandon it.

Personally, I am tired of waiting for almost 2 years for a "proper" macbook update and I am tired of reading everyday that people have still problems after the OS update that should fix problems (that shouldn't even exist in the first place). I still love mac os but going with last years model that works and is reliable. I don't know about other people but I want my hard earned €4000 to buy me a reliable product, whatever that is.

For this kind of money the gpu and whatnot should not cause any f** problems. Quality control Apple?

This is not a personal thing. But I am very pissed of at the morons who run this company.

peace

rwaggoner

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Loving my new machine. The only issue I have had is a window froze twice when I was downloading install packages etc. Chrome worked fine, but though I could in the finder window delete the downloaded installer once installed, I was unable to open the documents or downloads folder by clicking on the dock. The right side of the dock was impacted and eventually it spread to a few programs on the left side that I could not open either. Very weird. No graphics freak-out display, just being able to move the mouse but not able to move a window etc. After a bit I was able to close them via the finder menu, but touching the window itself did nothing.

Anybody else have this problem? Is it something serious that won't be fixed with an update?

blSwagger

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I just installed Lightroom, added about 3,500 pics, and started editing a few. Photoshop just finished installing right now. So far, so good!

I discovered Pixelmator extensions don't work in the full release version, but they do work with the beta version.

Although not a graphics glitch (at least I don't think), Firefox crashes every time I wake up my MBP in the morning...

Kuro Tanaka

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
I will be taking Apple up on their extended return policy and will be returning my fully spec'ed 15" MacBook Pro in the new year.

Clearly Mr Cook doesn't want my $6,500. My win and Apple's loss.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I am amazed how the word "troll" is used to compensate for lack of arguments (or will to argue) in all forums globally. It is the same reasoning behind labeling people terrorists because they have a long beard and dark skin.

You sacrificed your time? It is supposed to be a forum. It is not an obligation. However, with an admittedly quick search, it seems that you answer almost every single post that says something negative about Apple. I am actually sacrificing my time as well and I am sure there are many who'd rather do other things that looking for answers in forums. I respect your answers and everyone's opinions and I never meant to insult you.

I have been using macs since the 90's as well with the capacity of a consumer not a developer and it is the first time I experience a google search giving me results mostly negative about a mac product (a so expensive product I might add). Especially strong criticism that originates from loyal Apple customers.

All this rationalization about API's and other development misfires simply does not cut it. There are many things wrong with the new macbook pro and that is a fact. Apple should not have pushed it to customers underdeveloped,that is common sense depending on one's ethical standing.

I wouldn't mind about all this if Apple had the "courage" to come out and publicly accept their fault and inform people about the problems. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the last OS update fixed all issues. I'd go and buy it. But no, Apple won't come out and accept responsibility and alas, the last update has not fixed all issues. So after one and half months after the first reviews, major problems are still out there. And people like me who have been waiting for more than a year for the "proper" macbook pro update are quite confused. It is actually funny to see so many people returning their 2016 models and buying the older models (that were already 2+ years behind the technology of their time). And I don't mind that. Cause people paid the extra money for older tech in order to get probably the best OS. But this has changed too. After the rock stable snow leopard there has been a constant bloating of the OS in what seems to be a planned obsolescence strategy. The hardware runs slower so you need to get a new mac. The new branch of this strategy involves gluing the components.

So the problem is not just a graphics card freaking out or other smaller problems. The problem is that Apple has CONSCIOUSLY taken a direction towards more profits, disregarding the market niche that made Apple what it is now. Of course this will come back at Apple because all the hipsters who buy a macbook for it being trendy, they will very quickly abandon it for the next trendy thing, which is probably out there already. If there are any intelligent people left at the company they should try to fix things. Otherwise even the loyal customers like me are going to abandon it.

Personally, I am tired of waiting for almost 2 years for a "proper" macbook update and I am tired of reading everyday that people have still problems after the OS update that should fix problems (that shouldn't even exist in the first place). I still love mac os but going with last years model that works and is reliable. I don't know about other people but I want my hard earned €4000 to buy me a reliable product, whatever that is.

For this kind of money the gpu and whatnot should not cause any f** problems. Quality control Apple?

This is not a personal thing. But I am very pissed of at the morons who run this company.

peace
Then it seems that perhaps it well over time for a management overhaul.

Reactions: MH01

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
Just canceled my order. i decided to wait until the next 2017 refresh. It was a hard decision but the next refresh should have many advantage over this. For now I got for me

i7-6820HK 8MB L3
32GB DDR4
500GB + 256GB 3000MB/s SSD + 2TB 2.5
2880x1620 display
GTX 1070 GPU
thin and light too

laptop for half the price I was about to pay for the Macbook. The other half I will save it for the next macbook refresh which should have a cheaper price too. and yah I need them both as I need both macOS and windows.

Last edited:

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Just canceled my order. i decided to wait until the next 2017 refresh. It was a hard decision but the next refresh should have many advantage over this. For now I got for me

i7-6820HK 8MB L3
32GB DDR4
500GB + 256GB 3000MB/s SSD + 2TB 2.5
2880x1620 display
GTX 1070 GPU
thin and light too

laptop for half the price I was about to pay for the Macbook. The other half I will save it for the next macbook refresh which should have a cheaper price too. and yah I need them both as I need both macOS and windows.
Windows machine? What model?
I might sell my MBP 2016 when the next comes out. Resell value is good thank God.

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
Windows machine? What model?
I might sell my MBP 2016 when the next comes out. Resell value is good thank God.

yah resell value is good for the macs as you said that's a good thing to them.

I was planing to get fully maxed out 15 from UK store which cost $4970

Then after all the talks here I decided to go with Aorus X5 v6 which was on Amazon and sold by them with their nice support and 30 days return window which is enough for me to fully test the laptop. (It's out of stock at this moment but available through other sellers). I got it for $2199 holiday offer and got with it extra RAM + SSD. I should receive it soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KB8R2TC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is available in Newegg too but I prefer Amazon to them.

originspast

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
After swiping my SSD and reinstalling Sierra from scratch (10.12.2), I still get graphics glitches after a longer period of sleep mode (3-5 hours at least) with my 13" TB MBP. I use the resolution 1280x800. It goes away by closing the lid and opening it again.

juanpenafoto

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
After swiping my SSD and reinstalling Sierra from scratch (10.12.2), I still get graphics glitches after a longer period of sleep mode (3-5 hours at least) with my 13" TB MBP. I use the resolution 1280x800. It goes away by closing the lid and opening it again.

I got my third unit. This one with the I7 chip and not the like the others with the I5, the first night after a long sleep mode nothing happens, so far so good.

I7, 500gb, 16memory. No touchpad. 13 inches.

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
My replacement BTO 15" MacBook Pro 2.9, 16GB, 2TB, Radeon 460 arrived yesterday and my problem is still there but only after installing Adobe Desktop Client app. I didn't migrate anything, I didn't clone any drives this was a fresh from factory installation (which came with 10.12.2 by the way).

It ran fine for half a day with nothing installed, it ran fine for the other half of the day with Dropbox installed and syncing all my files. I've just come to install Adobe CC now, logged into my Adobe account, downloaded the installer and the exact same problem is back for me. Bear in mind my issue seems to be different to the issue others are having with checkerboard glitches when rendering things, mine appears as a strange colour cast/distortion over the entire screen that clears itself the second you click on the colour profile tab in system settings.

I didn't even get around to installed any Adobe apps this time, just the CC Desktop client which lives in the menu bar and allows you to install all the various Adobe apps.
Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 19.42.38.png
IMG_2712.JPG
IMG_2713.JPG

The glitch might not happen for hours and never causes the system to hang or crash, apps remain responsive and I can always clear it by clicking into the colour profiles tab.

I can *always* force it to happen by running migration assistant, clicking continue, letting it log out and then quitting migration assistant and logging back in. It logs in fine and then after around 1 second the glitch starts and stays. Yes I know it's not normal to start migration assistant and then quit before migrating anything but I'm merely pointing out a way to replicate the problem time and time again without having to wait hours for the glitch to happen randomly. Somebody else on here has also confirmed theirs glitches in the same way when running and quitting migration assistant so there must be something that migration assistant does that changes the colour profile somehow and occasional an app must also do the same thing?

I'll be feeding all this back to Apple of course but I'm pretty sure Apple is taking a lot of flak here for something that still might be attributed to an Adobe CC issue.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

peace

Just wantef to say, Well said, and thank you for taking time to compose that, I can relate to your frustration . You could really add to this community .

Just ignore the some of the members that make a lot of noise and have little substance . As you have already done it's not difficult to pick them, some good people here.

Reactions: edenorchestra

jimgl

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2016

After I upgraded to Sierra 10.12.2, I still got the "wake from overnight sleep" display glitch using 1280 x 800 resolution. I tried all the other resolution settings and never experienced the display glitch. I wanted to determine the conditions to reproduce the glitch and inform Apple engineering. Lately, I cannot reproduce the glitch! The problem may be a combination of resolution setting, ambient temperature, and display driver settings.

Jim

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
My replacement BTO 15" MacBook Pro 2.9, 16GB, 2TB, Radeon 460 arrived yesterday and my problem is still there but only after installing Adobe Desktop Client app. I didn't migrate anything, I didn't clone any drives this was a fresh from factory installation (which came with 10.12.2 by the way).

It ran fine for half a day with nothing installed, it ran fine for the other half of the day with Dropbox installed and syncing all my files. I've just come to install Adobe CC now, logged into my Adobe account, downloaded the installer and the exact same problem is back for me. Bear in mind my issue seems to be different to the issue others are having with checkerboard glitches when rendering things, mine appears as a strange colour cast/distortion over the entire screen that clears itself the second you click on the colour profile tab in system settings.

I didn't even get around to installed any Adobe apps this time, just the CC Desktop client which lives in the menu bar and allows you to install all the various Adobe apps.
View attachment 680715
View attachment 680716
View attachment 680719

The glitch might not happen for hours and never causes the system to hang or crash, apps remain responsive and I can always clear it by clicking into the colour profiles tab.

I can *always* force it to happen by running migration assistant, clicking continue, letting it log out and then quitting migration assistant and logging back in. It logs in fine and then after around 1 second the glitch starts and stays. Yes I know it's not normal to start migration assistant and then quit before migrating anything but I'm merely pointing out a way to replicate the problem time and time again without having to wait hours for the glitch to happen randomly. Somebody else on here has also confirmed theirs glitches in the same way when running and quitting migration assistant so there must be something that migration assistant does that changes the colour profile somehow and occasional an app must also do the same thing?

I'll be feeding all this back to Apple of course but I'm pretty sure Apple is taking a lot of flak here for something that still might be attributed to an Adobe CC issue.

If replacement have same issue its most likely crappy drivers that is the error, i can force that same glitch on mine with migration assistant, but it never happened by itself since i got mine 4 weeks ago

treload

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016

View attachment 680715
View attachment 680716
View attachment 680719

Out of curiosity, have you tried launching your Adobe apps on this Mac from a BootCamp partition. If so, do you observe the same symptoms? This might sort out a software issue vs a hardware failure.

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Out of curiosity, have you tried launching your Adobe apps on this Mac from a BootCamp partition. If so, do you observe the same symptoms? This might sort out a software issue vs a hardware failure.
Unfortunately I don't have access to a copy of Windows to use with Bootcamp.

blSwagger

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I've been using my 15" 2.7/460/1tb for 2 weeks now and luckily haven't noticed any graphics glitches.

I have Adobe CC installed running Lightroom and Photoshop. I haven't edited anything in Photoshop yet, but I've gone through several hundred pics in LR. I also installed Adobe Elements 15, but haven't tried it yet. I have Pixelmator Beta installed to do quick touch-ups of my iPhone pics within the Photos app; the extensions don't work in Photos on the full release version so I had to install the beta, which does work. I'm running Office Home and Business 2016 (which I got for $10 through work!!!). Finally, I just won the Mac Rumors giveaway of Fantastical 2, so I just installed that tonight.

I did a clean setup and just transferred my pics and music from my NAS. I have 633gb of space remaining for now...

So with all that installed, I haven't seen one glitch yet. I was very nervous after reading the threads, but so far, so good. I don't want to try to force a glitch because I think all that would accomplish is creating unnecessary stress and anxiety. Hopefully Apple will sort out the remaining bugs ASAP!

My 1 non-graphics glitch is quite annoying though. Every time I wake my MBP from sleep Firefox crashes. 100% of the time.

Qwe9203

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2014
Return until the issues are fixed. It does not look like software issues. Apple Support says to swap the computer when they see these graphics issues from previous posts. From previous experience the GPU fails overtime and they will just replace it with the same one that will fail again over time.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010

View attachment 680715
View attachment 680716
View attachment 680719

Okay, but look at the banding on the window shadows. That looks SO much like 24/30 bit color mismatch.

jlingo

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2016
I just woke my MBP and turned out it restarted itself. So I have to agree the MacBook Pro 2016 is rather unstable. So sad I really miss the old Stable trustworthy Apple.

My 1 non-graphics glitch is quite annoying though. Every time I wake my MBP from sleep Firefox crashes. 100% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.