Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
lol, i think that's already included in the boot camp download because I downloaded windows yesterday. But whatever I decided I'm just gonna return it and wait for the one next year when apple gets their **** together.

When you setup your windows USB through bootcamp tool there is an option to check to download latest windows/bootcamp drivers before installing.

I guess they should include the latest drivers in the new macOS updates but did you check that option just to be sure?

Dolores Abernathy

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
When you setup your windows USB through bootcamp tool there is an option to check to download latest windows/bootcamp drivers before installing.

I guess they should include the latest drivers in the new macOS updates but did you check that option just to be sure?

No i didn't but following the article someone just gave me it should already be included in the download. Regardless I'm pretty over it and gonna return it. I advise everyone going through the same thing to do the same, because it has become apparent to me that it's not a software issue. Or it might initially be a software issue that can definitely cause hardware damage.

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
No i didn't but following the article someone just gave me it should already be included in the download. Regardless I'm pretty over it and gonna return it. I advise everyone going through the same thing to do the same, because it has become apparent to me that it's not a software issue. Or it might initially be a software issue that can definitely cause hardware damage.

It is 100% sure a software issue that damage the speakers permanently. you should defiantly return it. but if the new drivers which suppose to be safe now is still cousing damage to the speakers.. that is really bad news

Dolores Abernathy

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
It is 100% sure a software issue that damage the speakers permanently. you should defiantly return it. but if the new drivers which suppose to be safe now is still cousing damage to the speakers.. that is really bad news

So the speakers appear to be fine now but they have made very satanic sounds from the depths of hell on too many occasions.

BondFancy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
I don't think this had to do with the graphics card, but still bizarre and wanted to see if others had this issue. I went to picture in picture a youtube video. When I went to do this my computer froze while the video was still playing. After the computer froze the touch bar was still fully functional, however, all the keys were frozen. In this weird state I could still move the mouse, but no clicks were accepted. Furthermore, my entire screen was shrunk to a small square in the middle of my screen with black surrounding the rest of it. I had to force shut it down and reboot it, the issue then went away.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I don't think this had to do with the graphics card, but still bizarre and wanted to see if others had this issue. I went to picture in picture a youtube video. When I went to do this my computer froze while the video was still playing. After the computer froze the touch bar was still fully functional, however, all the keys were frozen. In this weird state I could still move the mouse, but no clicks were accepted. Furthermore, my entire screen was shrunk to a small square in the middle of my screen with black surrounding the rest of it. I had to force shut it down and reboot it, the issue then went away.

That's related to a very rare bug that also happens in Mission Control. Report it to Apple. Meanwhile, force quit Finder and restart the Dock. No need to reboot.

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
NOOOOOO!!!!
I just exported a file out of AE and I got the checkered blue screen of graphics death.
Why?
But only a one time occurrence so far. Keep your fingers crossed.
Thank God I haven't canceled my capture process with Apple.

BondFancy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
That's related to a very rare bug that also happens in Mission Control. Report it to Apple. Meanwhile, force quit Finder and restart the Dock. No need to reboot.
I was able to bring up the force quit menu, however I was unable to select anything as my keyboard as well as my mouse clicks were unresponsive. Glad to hear it is rare, because that was rather peculiar.

Edit: Made a video with iMovie the other day, no graphics issues (knock on wood). Couldn't get over how in 45 seconds I could render a 10 minute 1080p video on the 450, very impressive stuff Apple. My old windows computer would crash when hitting play on the preview panel on windows movie maker :D, never mind moving the play spindle.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Sorry, didn't read all 26 pages - is this now a confirmed hardware error or will it be fixed by software? I have the latest update installed and the graphics glitch popped up again yesterday. After a reboot my profile picture was also missing :-/

kasimodem

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
Paris, France
Hi,

There seems to have many reports of these graphic glitches in many forums. I have my 460 model for 4 days now but did not have any gliches yet, even when using Lightroom or Photoshop.
One common thing I could find reading threads everywhere is that people enabling Filevault (which is enabled by default the first time you unbox your Mac) report glitches, others no or less.
I disabled Filevault at unboxing (but you can disable it later in Settings) and I suspect it could be a partial solution till Apple solve this by software update. Did someone tested with and without Filevault glitches issues ?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Hi,

There seems to have many reports of these graphic glitches in many forums. I have my 460 model for 4 days now but did not have any gliches yet, even when using Lightroom or Photoshop.
One common thing I could find reading threads everywhere is that people enabling Filevault (which is enabled by default the first time you unbox your Mac) report glitches, others no or less.
I disabled Filevault at unboxing (but you can disable it later in Settings) and I suspect it could be a partial solution till Apple solve this by software update. Did someone tested with and without Filevault glitches issues ?

The short of it is:

1 The split second FileVault glitch was fixed in 10.12.2

2 Other minor GUI glitches will likely be fixed soon.

3 Premiere's glitches will need to be fixed by Adobe because other apps that use the same APIs don't suffer those problems. FCP and DaVinci Resolve are running fine.

4 Media Encoder has always been slow and crap on macOS. Read the Mac Pro forums for many months of horror stories.

5 There isn't a hardware issue with the new Polaris chips otherwise it would manifest across all applications and Windows.

6 Whenever a new OS comes out Quartz is rebuilt and recompiled, and often redesigned. This means graphics drivers need to be rebuilt to hook into all of Quartz's features. This is not a quick task and usually takes several software updates and even the next OS to be fully optimised. With the latest GPUs it takes a little longer than the older GPUs.

jlingo

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2016
Perhaps glitch due to overheating? The notebook too thin for proper heat dissipation?

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
PCIe bus transaction problems, Thunderbolt interfering with all this fancy and new "Everything over PCIe lanes":

PS: "Hardware Error" doers not mean "Broken" or "Can be repaired".
It just means that a device on the bus is misbehaving, Might be worked-around in drivers.
Might affect performance to be more conservative. Who knows.

PPS: I can only advise to return this generation of MacBooks and wait for the 2017 Native TB3 version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolores Abernathy

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Perhaps glitch due to overheating? The notebook too thin for proper heat dissipation?

The amd gpu has good temps, it goes to 80c first then fans kick in the speed and it stays around 65c after a while.

Only the intel gpu i worry about, since cpu reach 100c at full load

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I've already explained above. Any further speculation is just...speculation. Enjoy Christmas instead of wasting time with hysteria online.
Merry Christmas to you, too.

Don't get me wrong, but you are the best spokesperson Apple could possibly wish for.
I've read a lot of your posts.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
3 Premiere's glitches will need to be fixed by Adobe because other apps that use the same APIs don't suffer those problems. FCP and DaVinci Resolve are running fine.

Thing is open CL is open CL. As the mac fans tell me ...its why apple wisely, in their opinion, chose AMD for GPU since its more open, accessible and not proprietary like CUDA.

As I read some stories....this bug is triggering graphics issues. Open CL should not be touching graphics. The stuff runs in background and offsets CPU load. Couple cases I saw it was encoding/transcoding and such. Doing that a bit of late with trying to clear off work from a longish shoot on sunday. A lot of that process is not even seen until done.

If adobe was failing horribly at API calls...we'd see this on more AMD's I would think. this is how it goes in the games industry. When a game, or sometimes AMD or Nvidia, release bad updates its a wide spread issue across many users on many systems. What did you change user?

Did you update game with patch? No
Did you patch up OS? No
Did you update video drivers? Yes....

And there we have a place to start. Game patched, rest no...game would where the look overs would begin.

maybe tinfoil hat needed but something is telling me AMD and/or Apple is having these not run like other AMD's out there. Where yes it be on Adobe's end partly but with apple not talkative about deep internals...adobe kind of flying blind here as to how to resolve. Case made worse as like i said before...its just these series of AMD GPU that is only in this setup. Which Premiere is not even accusing graphics on. Its going hey you, you lazy open CL core....get off our butt and help CPU out. Whether that core is working or not working...should not be having screens go schizo imo.

Saw where you said FCP and DaVinci fine. That could be how they do things does not call up problematic API. hard spot to be here for adobe. As they like any vendor have to release a product that does sort of the same thing....but not like FCP or davinci to risk "code stealing". Code stealing a vague umbrella....could encompass algorithm choice and implementation. Adobe does it one, they may hit a problem child API. Problem: why is this API only a problem child in this GPU in this 2016.

Believe it or not this a hard post to write. Me white knighting in any way Adobe....hell has frozen over for real this day.
I'd love to witch hunt Adobe...believe me I would. But...something is awry here and its not all on them.

Last edited:

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
6 Whenever a new OS comes out Quartz is rebuilt and recompiled, and often redesigned. This means graphics drivers need to be rebuilt to hook into all of Quartz's features. This is not a quick task and usually takes several software updates and even the next OS to be fully optimised. With the latest GPUs it takes a little longer than the older GPUs.

"Redesigned"? No.

A "redesign" is something like going from OS 9 to OS X.

obyvatel

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Are the graphics problems limited to the MacBook's display or do they affect connected monitors?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
"Redesigned"? No.

A "redesign" is something like going from OS 9 to OS X.

OS 9 to OS X was a completely new OS.

Thee have been several OS X redesigns involving Quartz. Anyone doubting this needs no further response than this.
[doublepost=1482419993][/doublepost]
Thing is open CL is open CL. As the mac fans tell me ...its why apple wisely, in their opinion, chose AMD for GPU since its more open, accessible and not proprietary like CUDA.

As I read some stories....this bug is triggering graphics issues. Open CL should not be touching graphics. The stuff runs in background and offsets CPU load. Couple cases I saw it was encoding/transcoding and such. Doing that a bit of late with trying to clear off work from a longish shoot on sunday. A lot of that process is not even seen until done.

If adobe was failing horribly at API calls...we'd see this on more AMD's I would think. this is how it goes in the games industry. When a game, or sometimes AMD or Nvidia, release bad updates its a wide spread issue across many users on many systems. What did you change user?

Did you update game with patch? No
Did you patch up OS? No
Did you update video drivers? Yes....

And there we have a place to start. Game patched, rest no...game would where the look overs would begin.

maybe tinfoil hat needed but something is telling me AMD and/or Apple is having these not run like other AMD's out there. Where yes it be on Adobe's end partly but with apple not talkative about deep internals...adobe kind of flying blind here as to how to resolve. Case made worse as like i said before...its just these series of AMD GPU that is only in this setup. Which Premiere is not even accusing graphics on. Its going hey you, you lazy open CL core....get off our butt and help CPU out. Whether that core is working or not working...should not be having screens go schizo imo.

Saw where you said FCP and DaVinci fine. That could be how they do things does not call up problematic API. hard spot to be here for adobe. As they like any vendor have to release a product that does sort of the same thing....but not like FCP or davinci to risk "code stealing". Code stealing a vague umbrella....could encompass algorithm choice and implementation. Adobe does it one, they may hit a problem child API. Problem: why is this API only a problem child in this GPU in this 2016.

Believe it or not this a hard post to write. Me white knighting in any way Adobe....hell has frozen over for real this day.
I'd love to witch hunt Adobe...believe me I would. But...something is awry here and its not all on them.

I apologise for not bothering to read all that but coming from the Mac Pro forum we have seen the same video issues and crashing for many months using Premiere and Media Encoder. It was even worse a few months ago for GeForce users who had Metal rendering enabled. I have mentioned his several times in this discussion. But people prefer to run from facts and keep howling at the moon. That's the internet. Truth is not as important as personal belief.

obyvatel

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
SoyCapitanSoyCapitan said:
All that information and evidence on the web has no effect on fact-resistant people, especially if they're online to make you buy stuff or force themselves on you.

Dear SoyCapitanSoyCapitan, I don't know you but you come out as very sure about the things you write and very apologetic for Apple.

It seems that after 25 pages (in this thread alone) there is a lot of information and evidence that have no effect on you. In other words you are a fact resistant person. After reading your profile signature above it made me wonder. Do you have any proof to support your claims?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.