Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Sounds like we definitely narrowed i down to color profiles :) but could be that color profiles trigger a hardware error too..

Like I said before, it's unlikely. If data was incorrectly overwritten somewhere due to a color profile, Apple likely could have most likely worked out at least a temporary fix by now.

emremergen

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
Last night i tried something, before take my laptop to sleep i opened a chrome not particular internet site btw, and made the chrome page full screen then i took my computer to sleep this morning i didn't get any graphic problem i want you to try this and please let me know guys.

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
This happened after I updated the OS:
- No more glitches when starting up
- No more crashing while transcoding in FCPX

I didn't have time to test Adobe Media Encoder yet (that is the issue that made me start this thread) but I will today or tomorrow.
This would mean it's a software problem. Great news for me at least, but as we said before, not everybody else in this thread has the same issues. Mine where mostly related to transcoding video.
Will post more soon.

emremergen

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
This happened after I updated the OS:
- No more glitches when starting up
- No more crashing while transcoding in FCPX

I didn't have time to test Adobe Media Encoder yet (that is the issue that made me start this thread) but I will today or tomorrow.
This would mean it's a software problem. Great news for me at least, but as we said before, not everybody else in this thread has the same issues. Mine where mostly related to transcoding video.
Will post more soon.
try long time sleep and write again please.

caddison

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
Midwest
I just started getting the issue.

So pissed off... UGH.

I was working with Adobe Premiere and it went into red checkerboard mode and totally froze.

Restarted my machine and now I can see flickering and a faint checkerboard pattern on my desktop, which goes away if I move the mouse or start typing. It comes back after about a second of inactivity.

WTF... so bummed out.

:mad::(:mad::(

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
I just started getting the issue.

So pissed off... UGH.

I was working with Adobe Premiere and it went into red checkerboard mode and totally froze.

Restarted my machine and now I can see flickering and a faint checkerboard pattern on my desktop, which goes away if I move the mouse or start typing. It comes back after about a second of inactivity.

WTF... so bummed out.

:mad::(:mad::(

I see from your posts that you received your device last Friday (Dec-16). Did you update your device to the latest macOS Sierra release before starting using it?
What exact version of macOS Sierra were you using when the issue started?

latest full version is 10.12.2
after that there is 10.12.3 Beta

Last edited:

caddison

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
Midwest
I see from your posts that you received your device last Friday (Dec-16). Did you update your device to the latest macOS Sierra release before starting using it?
What exact version of macOS Sierra were you using when the issue started?

latest full version is 10.12.2
after that there is 10.12.3 Beta
Yes, I updated immediately.

I'm on 10.12.2.

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
Yes, I updated immediately.

I'm on 10.12.2.

Then I guess this is not a good news for everybody. If this really a hardware thing I just can't believe Apple is still until now selling their devices without fixing it.

I hope it is a matter of software only...

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Sorry I have not read all 24 pages, but have the issues been replicated under Boot camp/windows 10 too?

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
Sorry I have not read all 24 pages, but have the issues been replicated under Boot camp/windows 10 too?

Actually good question. even though I think I read somewhere that it is also happening in Boot camp but I'm really not sure. myabe I'm wrong and i hope so.

Can anyone confirm this?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
24 pages and 25 threads later people still can't figure out it's just a couple of Quartz bugs that will be fixed and Adobe needs to update their wares.

It's pretty difficult to produce faulty GPUs in 2016. Testing processes in that last five years have advanced a hell of a lot. They test GPUs in simulators and machine learning systems that didn't exist or weren't as powerful before.

Software bugs require more testing, but when consumers nag that they want their new computers before Christmas then they shouldn't be surprised if a new OS isn't optimised for the hardware yet.

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
24 pages and 25 threads later people still can't figure out it's just a couple of Quartz bugs that will be fixed and Adobe needs to update their wares.

It's pretty difficult to produce faulty GPUs in 2016. Testing processes in that last five years have advanced a hell of a lot. They test GPUs in simulators and machine learning systems that didn't exist or weren't as powerful before.

Software bugs require more testing, but when consumers nag that they want their new computers before Christmas then they shouldn't be surprised if a new OS isn't optimised for the hardware yet.

I cannot believe this is coming from the guy who was completely going rampage in every thread (for an entire week) about Apple not letting him use the USB-C charging cable with his external drive at full speed.

However - given Apple's track record re dGPUs in MacBooks I can absolutely understand the frustration and uncertainty here.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I cannot believe this is coming from the guy who was completely going rampage in every thread (for an entire week) about Apple not letting him use the USB-C charging cable with his external drive at full speed.

True, I think manufacturers should stay faithful to the 3.1 C specs created by the USB forum. Cables should be able to charge and transfer properly, otherwise it's a scam and environment issue to make customers buy retract cables. We also shouldn't end up in the same mess that previous USB revisions had with half a dozen versions of USB cables.

btw, it was three threads that I highlighted the issue.

emremergen

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
hey guys i know some of you are saying the problem occuring when you are using adobe but it isn't happening just using adobe i wish it is i can't take sleep to my computer because every time this issue happen i am starting to freak out and asking myself what if this one is permanent ? Now we are able to solve the problem by restart or other things but what if it not fixes next time ? I think we wait apple to do something more than enough all of us was and still very patient but until when ? Even the CEO told that it fixed but it didn't how can we trust and wait more than that ? FIX THIS APPLE.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I can everytime reproduce login glitching by booting to safe boot. then it comes everytime, white lines moving horizontally upwards while blinking. Then after the lines stopped its alot of screen tearing. Is that normal for safe boot or?

caddison

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
Midwest
How do you explain the fact that the checkerboard glitch and flickering was still visible on my desktop AFTER I rebooted from the first crash while not a single Adobe program was running? In fact, nothing else was running.

The glitching on the desktop slowly faded as the computer cooled down. Right now, as I'm typing this, it's completely gone.

I am NOT a computer expert, but I don't understand how the Adobe software could cause something like that AFTER a reboot... and that's aside from the fact that several others have experienced this without even having any Adobe products installed.

Anyway, I took some video of everything that was happening last night... unfortunately, some of it was taken with my 9.7" iPad Pro since I was on hold with Apple while I filmed it, but it should give you an idea. The checkerboard was visible enough on my desktop to cause a moire pattern in the video.

A couple other things... if I went to Energy Options and switched it to only use high quality graphics the issue went away. And the Sr. Advisor I spoke to almost immediately offered me a new product after very little troubleshooting.

If Apple was so convinced it's a software issue, why get me into a brand new machine without even looking at my crash logs?

Anyway, video coming soon...
[doublepost=1482074033][/doublepost]
I can everytime reproduce login glitching by booting to safe boot. then it comes everytime, white lines moving horizontally upwards while blinking. Then after the lines stopped its alot of screen tearing. Is that normal for safe boot or?
This was also happening to me in safe boot mode... as well as very glitchy animation on the dock. When I described it to my Sr. Advisor, he wasn't able to explain it and said that wasn't supposed to happen.

The folks who are convinced it's a hardware issue seem convinced that the 960 is the problem, but I'm starting to get the feeling there is something going on with the Intel integrated graphics.

But... like I said... I'm not a computer expert and totally going on my gut.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
How do you explain the fact that the checkerboard glitch and flickering was still visible on my desktop AFTER I rebooted from the first crash while not a single Adobe program was running? In fact, nothing else was running.

The glitching on the desktop slowly faded as the computer cooled down. Right now, as I'm typing this, it's completely gone.

I am NOT a computer expert, but I don't understand how the Adobe software could cause something like that AFTER a reboot... and that's aside from the fact that several others have experienced this without even having any Adobe products installed.

Anyway, I took some video of everything that was happening last night... unfortunately, some of it was taken with my 9.7" iPad Pro since I was on hold with Apple while I filmed it, but it should give you an idea. The checkerboard was visible enough on my desktop to cause a moire pattern in the video.

A couple other things... if I went to Energy Options and switched it to only use high quality graphics the issue went away. And the Sr. Advisor I spoke to almost immediately offered me a new product after very little troubleshooting.

If Apple was so convinced it's a software issue, why get me into a brand new machine without even looking at my crash logs?

Anyway, video coming soon...
[doublepost=1482074033][/doublepost]
This was also happening to me in safe boot mode... as well as very glitchy animation on the dock. When I described it to my Sr. Advisor, he wasn't able to explain it and said that wasn't supposed to happen.

The folks who are convinced it's a hardware issue seem convinced that the 960 is the problem, but I'm starting to get the feeling there is something going on with the Intel integrated graphics.

But... like I said... I'm not a computer expert and totally going on my gut.

If you have that same safe boot glitch you probably have the one if you start migration assistant and then quit it directly and login again the colors go bananas like scoopz have
I thinkl its intel also. Since i have no problems in windows 10 bootcamp, and that is because amd card is always on there
[doublepost=1482074761][/doublepost]
Updated to Sierra 10.12.3 Beta (16D12b) and still the same intermittent graphics issues for me on both Intel 530 and Radeon 460 Pro.

In other news, my replacement BTO which was scheduled for 7-10th Jan is apparently 5-7 business days....finger's crossed.

I tried now your go to migration assistant and quit it to get back to login thing. And have exact same error that came then. With the super weird colors. So you are not alone on that one.
[doublepost=1482078132][/doublepost]

Its right that AMD have it hard to produce a faulty gpu, with my testing i have narrowed it down to intel. and i think they have it easy to produce a faulty gpu. i mean its built into a tiny processor..(?) and they have history of having very bad drivers

Reactions: scoopz

Supercherry

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Still getting the artifacts on the login screen after sleeping overnight on my 13" with touch bar and i7 even on the 10.12.3 beta. It goes away after running a full screen app or restarting. Is this a pretty common one that might be fixed in software or should I be making a Genius appointment? I thought they were supposed to fix this in 10.12.2

emremergen

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
Still getting the artifacts on the login screen after sleeping overnight on my 13" with touch bar and i7 even on the 10.12.3 beta. It goes away after running a full screen app or restarting. Is this a pretty common one that might be fixed in software or should I be making a Genius appointment? I thought they were supposed to fix this in 10.12.2
Yes that is what we all thought but they didn't i am not sure it is software issue anymore

Maurier

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Here's my crash video... I'm pretty tired, so I hope it makes sense.

This looks like a problem caused by GPU drivers.
Im not very familiar with Mac OS but is there a way you guys can try and install different gpu drivers from ATI to test it?
If anyone else is running it on Windows do they experience the same issues?

Last edited:

caddison

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
Midwest
Just crashed again... here's what it looked like this time.

addison-crash.jpg

I was rendering some videos and surfing the web. I could feel it getting really warm and then this happened.

Like I've said before, I'm not a computer expert, but everything I'm seeing has to do with when the machine starts to work hard and when it gets really warm.

I can recreate the issue pretty much whenever I want and the work I'm doing isn't even that intense.

*sigh*

Last edited:

Mattio1990

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2016
Just crashed again... here's what it looked like this time.

addison-crash.jpg

I was rendering some videos and surfing the web. I could feel it getting really warm and then this happened.

Like I've said before, I'm not a computer expert, but everything I'm seeing has to do with when the machine starts to work hard and when it gets really warm.

I can recreate the issue pretty much whenever I want and the work I'm doing isn't even that intense.

*sigh*

Did any one of you guys tried to do this on Bootcamp to ensure it is not driver issue with MacOS?? I tried rendering some videos on Windows 10 with BootCamp few times and it didn't crash or do that red checkbox but when I tried to do it on MacOS, it does. Let me know!!

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It seems premature to claim this if you haven't actually found and tested patches for the bugs, though.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I've just had an issue three times in two days of my screen freezing and computer becoming unresponsive, needing me to force shut down. I don't get a checkerboard but I'm wondering if it's graphics related. I have a launch day 450 and I do use Adobe Lightroom (not sure if I was at the time of the issue).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.