Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
Yes, you're definitely technically correct. That definitely makes since, especially for the camera. Although, we don't necessarily know if dust entered the camera after the installation during whatever stage comes next. But as far the dust, debris, or whatever it is, in between the bezels...that is possibly more likely to have entered post-assembly, since the reason it may be in there is the large space between the bezel and the seal / glass, which is easily penetrated by dust, or even toothpicks. Some of that 'debris' may possibly be sealant or adhesive for the bezels that just doesn't keep them sealed, but much of it is definitely wipeable and movable with a rag or toothpick and certainly looks like large dust particles.
[doublepost=1542631323][/doublepost]
Hopefully!
[doublepost=1542631551][/doublepost]
That is insane! I've never had a major scratch come on any of the phones. Thank you so much for sharing! Exactly what I created this thread for.

Are you like this with all of the things that you buy? Not being personal, but it may explain a lot.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
Well I just totally checked my Xs Max all over for some of what the OP posted about. Fortunately I didn't find any. I'm with the OP in regards to adhesive and stuff pertaining to the display. That is the main watertight part of the phone. These phones are priced very high and if he is buying it outright he has every right to return/refuse units until he finds one that is "worthy". Like I said in a earlier post my wife's brand new out of the box freshly opened didn't have a SIM card installed. My guess is that the batch of phones made for each region are what is the problem. It seems that phones for that region are put together sloppily. I know at my Sprint store the rep opened up each phone and let me inspect it before he even rang it up. So I'm sure there are some defects that are cropping up. Unless it's your money the OP can do what he wants and if the manager/company lets him refuse that many units then that's on them. Like I said I'm sure those "defective" units will either be reworked or resealed and sold to different customers or used as store replacement units. Trust me Apple is losing any money.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
i used to stress about small stuff here and there until i realized they get old anyway and i buy new stuff.

i could spend months worrying, posting, exchanging, going to stores, chat online, on phone, and so on about stuff. sending in devices and waiting for them to come back, etc.

and then the next iPhone comes out and i couldn’t give a darn about the one i’m holding and whatever so called defects it has bc i’m never going to use it again or even think about it again hahahahahahaha

if it’s a diamond that i want to pass on for generations that cost me tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions then sure no dust allowed LOL

if it’s a diamond that cost me a few thousand i STILL might not even care bc a new iphone these days can cost about that much if you max it out, buy a bunch of accessories, applecare, and so on.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ironically, I could probably polish out all these scratches on the stainless steel and on the back glass, and it'll look "better" than new apparently.

Actually, there is no way to remove the scratches on the back of the iPhone glass, if it is scratched, it’s permanent. Other members have tested _many_ methods with toothpaste, polishing cloth’s, and other idea’s, and it will not remove the scratches.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
The amount of extreme Apple fanboyism in this thread is jaw dropping. You should lower your expectation and move to other phone? WHAT? What happen to Apple that cared about its finishing to the micron level?

Having said that all the recent iPhone introduction has had lots of QA issues in the first two to three months. I wish they priorities quality over quantity.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
i used to stress about small stuff here and there until i realized they get old anyway and i buy new stuff.

i could spend months worrying, posting, exchanging, going to stores, chat online, on phone, and so on about stuff. sending in devices and waiting for them to come back, etc.

and then the next iPhone comes out and i couldn’t give a darn about the one i’m holding and whatever so called defects it has bc i’m never going to use it again or even think about it again hahahahahahaha

if it’s a diamond that i want to pass on for generations that cost me tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions then sure no dust allowed LOL

if it’s a diamond that cost me a few thousand i STILL might not even care bc a new iphone these days can cost about that much if you max it out, buy a bunch of accessories, applecare, and so on.

I agree if it's just about optical issues and you've already exchanged before, but what about:

I have had 2 with dust within the camera lens, 1 with a rattling speaker, quite a few with button issues (mushy and uneven)

... different case IMO.

And do you really buy a new phone the next year and just keep the old one in a box? I'd sell it which means the defects or optical issues matter more.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The amount of extreme Apple fanboyism in this thread is jaw dropping. You should lower your expectation and move to other phone? WHAT? What happen to Apple that cared about its finishing to the micron level?

Having said that all the recent iPhone introduction has had lots of QA issues in the first two to three months. I wish they priorities quality over quantity.

You make a good point, one thing I want to mention, sometimes during the early months of production with a new device, they tend to be more hardware flaws, because production is such at a high volume, there tend to be more mistakes. Some members like to purchase their products after the initial rush slows down, and that way gives time for any hardware issues to be somewhat tweaked/rectified and they might receive a device that may not have other defects others experienced with the first initial batch of iPhones.

Last edited:

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Just saw this thread. I am almost certain this is the first time you have purchased a brand new iphone direct from apple?? No way, you are buyer year in and year out

Reactions: Elitegate

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
If the OP did not want the commentary and resulting judgement, why post into a public forum at all?

The Apple Store mentality is to satisfy the customer. Can you imagine what other customers will think if the manager said "that's good enough?" The actions of the manager are clearly in response to the actions of the OP. If another customer goes into the store, they would not have this type of problem.
Posted for the question asked in the initial post. Asking for peoples experiences with their iPhone XS and XS Max. Not asking for posts of other nature. I was very clear.
[doublepost=1542724646][/doublepost]
Re: Dust in the camera-

I've seen a few brand new $10K+ Nikon lenses that had internal dust.

I don't make a habit of buying new lenses, but my most expensive one has a $2500 sticker price new(I paid a bit over $1200 for it used from a reputable used dealer). Yes, it has some dust in it-not a lot, but it's there. This particular lens is one where-due to the optical design-dust inside the front element or close to the front could potentially be a big deal. It's not!

Even worse, not too long ago I looked at a new $2K lens(AF-Nikkor 135mm f/2 DC) that had a bubble in the glass. That was once spun as a sign of quality, although you rarely see it in modern manufacturing. I didn't buy the lens, but the bubble didn't scare me away from it, and I COULD NOT see it testing it in the store on a 45mp camera.

I would not reject a cell phone over dust in the camera-I can virtually guarantee that you'll never see it in your images.
All I can say is, you probably don’t notice it yourself. There was a small speck of dust in my brothers lens in his GH5 recently, producing a noticeable (to him and I at least) slightly darkened splotch on the images. We were able to find the dust inside and clear it easily. With iPhones, that’s not really possible.
[doublepost=1542724760][/doublepost]
Are you like this with all of the things that you buy? Not being personal, but it may explain a lot.
No. Never was with the iPhone either. Always had a great experience. As I said, I only deal with issues that are both noticeable with use and either present an issue presently or can present a potential issue later.
[doublepost=1542724924][/doublepost]
Well I just totally checked my Xs Max all over for some of what the OP posted about. Fortunately I didn't find any. I'm with the OP in regards to adhesive and stuff pertaining to the display. That is the main watertight part of the phone. These phones are priced very high and if he is buying it outright he has every right to return/refuse units until he finds one that is "worthy". Like I said in a earlier post my wife's brand new out of the box freshly opened didn't have a SIM card installed. My guess is that the batch of phones made for each region are what is the problem. It seems that phones for that region are put together sloppily. I know at my Sprint store the rep opened up each phone and let me inspect it before he even rang it up. So I'm sure there are some defects that are cropping up. Unless it's your money the OP can do what he wants and if the manager/company lets him refuse that many units then that's on them. Like I said I'm sure those "defective" units will either be reworked or resealed and sold to different customers or used as store replacement units. Trust me Apple is losing any money.
I’m glad you checked yours out, and I appreciate you for sharing :)
[doublepost=1542724986][/doublepost]
This thread is a joke. I’m sorry. I don’t care what it is - no sane person is exchanging his device 16 times.

It’s time to move on, OP. You won’t look back and think of this as your finest hour. What a waste of life...
You may as well move on from this thread. I am disappointed with your unrelated response.
[doublepost=1542725108][/doublepost]

Agreed.
[doublepost=1542725240][/doublepost]
Just saw this thread. I am almost certain this is the first time you have purchased a brand new iphone direct from apple?? No way, you are buyer year in and year out
I didn’t say I was a first time buyer. I have had 3 before this, all flawless.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
All I can say is, you probably don’t notice it yourself. There was a small speck of dust in my brothers lens in his GH5 recently, producing a noticeable (to him and I at least) slightly darkened splotch on the images. We were able to find the dust inside and clear it easily.

I've been around cameras and lenses a long time.

With digital cameras, dust on the sensor can cause problems, but it's usually only noticeable at smaller apertures and on relatively featureless areas(like skies or studio backdrops). This USE to be a big problem on interchangeable lens cameras, but most cameras now include a "ultrasonic cleaner"(or I call it a sensor shaker) that can be activated on demand as well as programmed to activate when the camera is turned on or off(mine are set to activate at shut-off). This MOSTLY keeps dust at bay, although sometimes sensors need hands-on attention.

I can show you photos from dirty sensors-I once bought a Nikon D200(no sensor cleaner) for studio use that was absolutely filthy, but I didn't notice it in my initial testing in "normal" scenes. It WAS a mess when I was photographing against a white backdrop with a 105mm f/2.8 Micro stopped down to f/32, and I had to spend some time with the spot healing brush in Photoshop to clean it up. It took me two sensor swabs(which are soft lint free swabs the width of the sensor you're cleaning that are hermetically sealed in a package in a clean room to keep them absolutely spotless until you're ready to use them) to clean up the sensor.

Going back to the $2500 lens I mentioned-I'd challenge you first to find something like a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 that's dust free. Then, park it at 14mm, stick it on a D850, and stop it down to f/22. Then, do the same with my example that has some dust in it. I'd challenge you to see the dust in my example...

Reactions: I7guy

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Honestly, move on to another phone. If you slap a case or skin on it, will you notice most defects? Probably not.

I get dust in the camera sensor and mushy buttons, exchange that but anything else a case can fix. 16 times is way too much. I would have moved on after my 3rd exchange.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If I were the OP I would switch to Samsung the customer support is so much better.

Can you Be more specific on why you believe this?

One thing I want to mention, is the benefit with Apple, they have way _more_ Apple stores within reach for most than Samsung retail stores. I live in a large size city, and I *don’t* have one Samsung retailer within reach at all, yet, I have three Apple stores that I could venture two at any given time if I needed in-store assistance for an exchange or repair. To Me, that is equally important to the experience, because I don’t always want to have to send my devices in for repair when I can do so at store level.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Posts of some of the members here are absolutely astounding. The OP was allowed 16 returns because each one had a legitimate flaw and Apple agreed with him. I remember exchanging my iPhone 6 5 times because of yellow screen issues. For $1000 it better damn well be perfect. Nothing wrong with what he did. You know what they say "you get what you pay for". That’s used to denigrate cheap products but I think it should apply to premium products too. You should get what you pay for.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Posts of some of the members here are absolutely astounding. The OP was allowed 16 returns because each one had a legitimate flaw and Apple agreed with him. I remember exchanging my iPhone 6 5 times because of yellow screen issues. For $1000 it better damn well be perfect. Nothing wrong with what he did. You know what they say "you get what you pay for". That’s used to denigrate cheap products but I think it should apply to premium products too. You should get what you pay for.
I personally have a hard time buying that the OP had 16 legitimate reasons and/or flaws to exchange the iPhone. If my memory serves me right he said he rejected 5 or 6 right at the store. I bet any money that there was nothing wrong with them and the Apple workers there turned around repackage those phones to sell to other customers. They were just probably just trying to appease him, so he would go away. I also bet once he set a precedent in returning these phones that it made it harder for other employees to refuse doing a return.

A long time ago I worked in an electronics department and a customer wanted to return a TV because it had a small scratch. He showed me the scratched and I looked at the section that he pointed to and I personally couldn't see it. The customer was already agitated, so I said I couldn't personally authorize the return and had to get a manager. So I got a manager, she looked at me with a puzzle face as the customer was showing the supposed scratch. The manager said he could return it or he could exchanged under the provision that he would have to approve of the new TV before it left store and all sales were final. He agreed to exchange the TV, so he looked it over and tested it out. I knew this was going to be a mistake just the way he treated me during this transaction. Sure enough a week goes by and he has the TV saying that it worked for a few days then suddenly it went kaput. I sighed and just got the manager to deal with him. I can't remember but I think the manager just ended up refunding the money for the TV. My point is people working in retail will only take so much and while I have been out of retail I hear returning merchandize has gotten tougher since I worked in retail.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Posted for the question asked in the initial post. Asking for peoples experiences with their iPhone XS and XS Max. Not asking for posts of other nature. I was very clear.
The answer seems to be that no else is experiencing what you are.

In an odd way, you are helping to improve the overall customer experience for the iPhone Xs. If you returned your first one for a refund, that would leave 16 defective iPhones for others which would expand the visibility of these manufacturing defects. But as it is, instead of having 17 customers experiencing a problem, there is only 1...and that is not being taken seriously.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

That’s fair. I said it before, and I think it needs to be mentioned again, Apple is allowing the returns, so they can’t fault the customer for making this many returns if they are permitting this. If Apple was making exception after exception against the ‘Rule’, that would be different. But that’s not the case here, Apple is permitting the returns, because they want the customer happy, regardless if the customer ever finds that ‘Perfect’ iPhone, that Apple cannot guarantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.