Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Really, is X more vunerable or why? Because I never had any scuffs and scratches on my iPhones, other than those that came from the factory. Using screen protector and soft inner lined cases from Apple should keep the phone unmarked.

not necessarily.

my 7 plus was in an apple leather case since i got it.. there's micro scratches on the back and some paint chipping. if dirt/sand gets trapped in there then it could potentially scratch your device.

it's not that serious as long as the device works fine.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Really, is X more vunerable or why? Because I never had any scuffs and scratches on my iPhones, other than those that came from the factory. Using screen protector and soft inner lined cases from Apple should keep the phone unmarked.
Eh, your phone can still get scuffs and scratches even in it's cases. As foreign object (dirt, dust, small particles, etc) can still find its way into the case and can cause scratch or scuffs.

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I see that all the time. Dirt gets in just under the lip of the case, on the screen, and over time grinds its way into the glass.

I carefully take mine out of the case periodically and rinse and wipe it out, to prevent that dirt buildup...

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
Just out of curiosity since thread starter had serial numbers of the phones he tested maybe he could list the first letter or two from the serial numbers of those? It would be interesting to see what factory they were from.

My iPhone XR is from Factory: F4 (China, Shanghai - Pegatron-Protek) and is flawless.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Did you check it under good lightning and have you ever compared display to another x unit (yours is completely uniform in all brightness levels and whites also look perfectly even between different parts of the screen)? Differencies can be painfully visible when you have two units side by side. Also have you ever heard it making any squeking, snapping, popping or what ever sounds when pressing back glass, sides or by using slight twisting/torsion force?

Ours had build date 4-5 months ago. By the way is there any limitation how old units can be sold? I guess batteries will take some hit from long shelf life and since X is already old model I don't know how long ago production stopped and moved to XS.

I checked it with a couple of others that belong to my friends and the screens looked identical. I never really noticed any squeaking or popping, but I checked it out a a minute ago and neither is present. For what it's worth, I had the battery replaced a couple of weeks ago, so if any sounds existed prior to it, they don't exist now.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I know I'm way late on this but OP needs to get a hobby!
He has one, didn’t you read.

The probability that one person received 16 phones all with defects is so astronomical, it defies belief. And if Apple store changed out 16 phones, Apple needs to review managership of that store. Show me 16 pictures clearly displaying defects or close this ridiculous thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Scuffs and scratches will happen even if you have a case, so what’s the point?

The point? Is your basically insinuating that it’s acceptable for phones to come out of the box scratched and scuffed? And that consumers to just be willing to accept type of condition for a $1000 iPhone? No. Maybe you do, but I certainly would not want a phone that was scratched new out of the box.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
The point? Is your basically insinuating that it’s acceptable for phones to come out of the box scratched and scuffed? And that consumers to just be willing to accept type of condition for a $1000 iPhone? No. Maybe you do, but I certainly would not want a phone that was scratched new out of the box.

you're telling me a scratch only visible under a microscope or certain lighting conditions is a flaw?

that's certainly not rational behaviour.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
There is a point when you need to have more respect for yourself and stop embarrassing yourself. Staff involved will all be talking about it behind his back, calling him all sorts of unsavoury names and dreading any time he walks into the store. He will become a story for years to come.

Should have got a refund and walked away well before getting to the 16th phone.

Reactions: Elitegate

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
you're telling me a scratch only visible under a microscope or certain lighting conditions is a flaw?

that's certainly not rational behaviour.

Accept, nowhere in your previous post below did you indicate anything about a ‘Microscope’ (<— Which is hyperbole), regardless, even under ‘Certain lighting’, if the customer notices scratches and scuffs, Apple grants returns for defects without question, so perhaps you should aim your questions at them, being it’s their return policy allowing otherwise.

not necessarily.

my 7 plus was in an apple leather case since i got it.. there's micro scratches on the back and some paint chipping. if dirt/sand gets trapped in there then it could potentially scratch your device.

pharmecist

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
I apologize for potentially insulting OP. The main reason why my tone was annoyed is because it always irks me when I see good policies being potentially abused. Whether it be things like intentionally damaging your device to claim Applecare or potentially excessive returns, it hurts everyone in the end with higher prices.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
not necessarily.

Only time will tell if that happens to my new X and if it is more vulnerable but I can say this never happened to me with my previous iPhones. All were in pristine condition without any scratches from Apple leather case. I even kept my iPhone 7 for maybe 9-10 months in a leather case without taking it out during that time and still nothing, only some colour bleed from leather near speaker openings but those wiped away with damp microfibre cloth.

Despite that possibility that device can be damaged by me later on, I will not accept that it comes from the factory (brand new phone) already scratched. Also there is now way I would accept anything else damaged when I buy them new. I mean who would buy a brand new car that has already been dented or scratched.:rolleyes:
If it does not matter how something looks like, then why not buy used ones anyway…
[doublepost=1543505784][/doublepost]
I checked it with a couple of others that belong to my friends and the screens looked identical. I never really noticed any squeaking or popping, but I checked it out a a minute ago and neither is present. For what it's worth, I had the battery replaced a couple of weeks ago, so if any sounds existed prior to it, they don't exist now.

I guess that also depends on how good and even displays are in the unit it is compared to, not to mention about how critical or how trained eyes viewer has (I'm talking about generally, not mean to say that is the case in your situation necessarily).

I think squeaks, creaks and pops come from the seams of the display and back panel joint to steel rim, so it is possible that battery replacement has fixed if there was such case since they must have replaced at least that "sticky tape" where display and steel rim meet. Maybe source for those sounds could be also some internal part but again during battery replacement that may have been fixed too.

Last edited:

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Alright, there seems to be a lot to cover here, gimme a sec ;)
[doublepost=1543684793][/doublepost]So firstly, I just want to say, thank you to Relentless Power for remaining so objective, as essentially the one constant in this thread.

I'll just start with an update, and then get to a bit of replies.

Sorry for my absence, I can't quite remember the last thing I wrote about my situation, but it goes like this.

Right now I am on the 4th XS Max. I decided (as a personal choice, nothing to do with apple or their phones) to keep the Max, I'm a fan of the larger screen size, and is especially beneficial for me since I work in media, plus I travel a lot and having an almost mini-ipad to watch content on is great for me.

Anyway, my recent contact with the store has noted the issues I've had, including dust in the majority of the lenses, rough and uncomfortable edges, and 3 things I haven't encountered before (though I feel I mentioned it earlier) which are as follows:
1. Multiple chips out of the steel frame
2. Discoloration and scratching (looks like a strange symmetrical watermark) on the steel frame
3. A scratch on the inside of one of the lenses

I have 2 currently in my possession because the replacement shipment was quite earlier than expected, and one goes back Monday. During my chat with the sales rep on the phone, I suggested an option (that was apparently granted by a manager behind the scenes) to provide an extended return period, because I am not interested in running down their company with multiple exchanges (since some of you seem to tolerate defective devices and would happily take that defective one). I am hoping to get a completely new batch in just over 2 weeks from now, which was when I was instructed to call back to organize an exchange.

So basically, yes to the question - are they still coming with issues, and no - I haven't found one that hasn't had some sort of problem out of the box yet, but hoping I can get one with the next set of iPhones.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Can we see pictures of these problems as you find them? Like examples of these dealbraker chips, dust under the lens... I know it is annoying to have to take pictures in front of the manager while you're getting these phones but it would go a long way to quell the nay-sayers in this thread and also show us how severe these defects are with your numerous consecutive iPhones, which I'm sure many of us are wondering.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
I'll add - Every phone I've ever purchased had a skin go on it immediately, a screen protector, and a case, right out of the box. This XS Max is my first since the 4 and I'm on my fourth space grey variant. Here are my issues:

1.) First XS Max - chips/scratches in the band.
2.) Second XS Max - chips/scratches in the band.
3.) Third XS Max - dust/scratches? under the back glass.
4.) Fourth XS Max - chip/scratch and dust under back glass.

I want to point out for each of these four phones I either peeled the wrap and immediately went to install a full body skin or I peeled the wrap, examined it for scratches (quickly at the store - not thoroughly enough, I gather), and placed the wrap back on. In any case the only material that touched the phone prior to my discovery of scratches, chips, blemishes, or imperfections, was the material the phone was shipped in and/or any dust particles that rested upon it.

I took advantage of the Costco trade in offer for this phone and, as such, I'm going to go through with the rebate process before I attempt another swap (that, and I'm sure I'm not Costco's favorite person at this moment in time). Needless to say this has been very frustrating. I expected better QC from Apple, especially for a $1200 phone.

Off topic - how is the genius bar in terms of repairs? If you have concerns regarding signal strength, for example, do they do in-warranty swaps? Are the swaps new or refurbs?
Thanks for your reply and experience, much appreciated! On the road to raising awareness :p

In terms of the repairs, to be honest, I think it just depends on whether you're within the 2 week exchange period or not. If you're outside it, they'd look at repairing it and if it couldn't be fixed, give you a white box replacement...Which I may think I heard was a refurbished model, but I definitely could be wrong there.
[doublepost=1543685548][/doublepost]
The grass isn't greener at Samsung's garden. I just came back from 8 years on Android (my last iPhone was the 4), and the two weeks with the XS Max, while frustrating due to some limitations, were a breath of fresh air in terms of speed and battery life. Samsung's android updates are so slow that if they break something it will take nearly a year to fix, if they ever get around to fixing it in the first place. My S8+ was fast and decent on battery. After Oreo? It's sitting on my desk, after a low-medium intensity day at 10%, the last 20% or so was idle drain. The battery has been replaced, as has the screen, and the charging port and it's been formatted.

As annoyed as I am with Apple QC, I'm confident that I'll have an enjoyable experience once I get a phone in "brand new" condition without any chips, scratches, or dust under the screen.

That begs the question, why do these units have chips in the glass or blemishes in the steel? I get glass is fragile, so couldn't Apple do a better job protecting protecting what amounts to a luxury device? Yes, these are tools - but you could replicate 80-90% of the experience with a vastly cheaper android device. Aside from 'feel', smoothness, reliability and security - this is largely a vanity item. As such, even Apple advertises the phone as a piece of jewelry. I'm with OP - there is no excuse for items damaged out of the box. I can believe 15 of them had blemishes. I was willing to put aside some markings on the stainless steel bands due to the PVD process, but glass chips or anomalies are out of the question.
Also, to reply to this, thank you for the belief. I too am confused how this is able to happen, it certainly never used to.
[doublepost=1543686299][/doublepost]
Can we see pictures of these problems as you find them? Like examples of these dealbraker chips, dust under the lens... I know it is annoying to have to take pictures in front of the manager while you're getting these phones but it would go a long way to quell the nay-sayers in this thread and also show us how severe these defects are with your numerous consecutive iPhones, which I'm sure many of us are wondering.
Right now I am just dealing with the Apple Store online, I decided not to waste my fuel anymore and go into the store. I'm often at my girlfriends place, who lives right near the store, which is why it was / is so easy for me to get in there and get an exchange if need be quickly, but I decided not to worry too much about that anymore and just let apple do the work since its their faulty product I'm having to replace. Not that I developed a grudge or anything, but I figure its the least they can do since its their mission to make the customer happy and they offer the service anyway for pickups and drop-offs.

I have a photo ready to go of the scratched lens (with dust inside), and I can get some more ready. Just keep in mind, these are visible to the eye without the extra light, but not to the camera, hence using the light for the photo. Just ignore the random dust / particles on the far side, that is outside.
IMG_0045.jpeg

Last edited:

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for your reply and experience, much appreciated! On the road to raising awareness :p

In terms of the repairs, to be honest, I think it just depends on whether you're within the 2 week exchange period or not. If you're outside it, they'd look at repairing it and if it couldn't be fixed, give you a white box replacement...Which I may think I heard was a refurbished model, but I definitely could be wrong there.
[doublepost=1543685548][/doublepost]
Also, to reply to this, thank you for the belief. I too am confused how this is able to happen, it certainly never used to.
[doublepost=1543686299][/doublepost]
Right now I am just dealing with the Apple Store online, I decided not to waste my fuel anymore and go into the store. I'm often at my girlfriends place, who lives right near the store, which is why it was / is so easy for me to get in there and get an exchange if need be quickly, but I decided not to worry too much about that anymore and just let apple do the work since its their faulty product I'm having to replace. Not that I developed a grudge or anything, but I figure its the least they can do since its their mission to make the customer happy and they offer the service anyway for pickups and drop-offs.

I have a photo ready to go of the scratched lens (with dust inside), and I can get some more ready. Just keep in mind, these are visible to the eye without the extra light, but not to the camera, hence using the light for the photo. Just ignore the random dust / particles on the far side, that is outside.
View attachment 807817

I would just keep it until you scratch the screen and swap it then for dust as it’s not effecting the functionality of the camera.

Reactions: Never mind

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Those of you who have gone through several brand new units, what has been battery level right out of the box?

I know this question is not about topic of this thread but I thought persons reading this thread might have some insights of this. For some reason my new X had only under 40% battery right out of the box but my wife's phone was around 70-80%. I was wondering if that might be indication of dud battery, since it looks to me that battery is draining pretty fast compared to my old 7.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Those of you who have gone through several brand new units, what has been battery level right out of the box?

I know this question is not about topic of this thread but I thought persons reading this thread might have some insights of this. For some reason my new X had only under 40% battery right out of the box but my wife's phone was around 70-80%. I was wondering if that might be indication of dud battery, since it looks to me that battery is draining pretty fast compared to my old 7.
The ones I have actually gotten around to checking, it has always been 100%. It is definitely not normal for you to get anything under that because it would mean the battery is either a failure or it has been used multiple times before you received it. It should not be deteriorating at that speed. :)

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Hate to say this but no product will ever be 100% perfect no matter how much it costs. At some point you just have to bite the bullet. Be happy you’ve been able to do so many exchanges (still shocked you were allowed) but as others said, even if not so subtlety, either return and get your money back and move on or just accept that microscopic mark you find and be happy. All I’m picturing is somebody taking out their microscope to find any possible blemishes. Or, do what many folks do when you move on to your 30th iPhone and inspect it in store with the reps standing right there. Take your magnifying glasses and microscopes as well. ;)

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Hate to say this but no product will ever be 100% perfect no matter how much it costs. At some point you just have to bite the bullet. Be happy you’ve been able to do so many exchanges (still shocked you were allowed) but as others said, even if not so subtlety, either return and get your money back and move on or just accept that microscopic mark you find and be happy. All I’m picturing is somebody taking out their microscope to find any possible blemishes. Or, do what many folks do when you move on to your 30th iPhone and inspect it in store with the reps standing right there. Take your magnifying glasses and microscopes as well. ;)
I get it, but I’m not looking for perfect, just looking for one without pre-existing damage or issues before it got to me. Nothing new should come damaged and be accepted. That goes for all products. It’s nice to know though that I seem to have microscopic vision if I can see this stuff. I love super heroes so I’m on board with that power :D Unfortunately there is no insanity or crazy OCD situation going on here, and your post is not helpful to the purpose of this thread, and I’m sorry if I mislead you into thinking I needed any help or some kind of ‘wake-up call’ for a possible brain disorder. Another unnecessary post to add to the list.

Just note, I am not being passive aggressive here or trying to defend myself. I am just helping you and others understand that I am a person of integrity, a person who stands up for what they believe in, and a person who will defend themselves if need be. That includes standing up to apple for my right to have my product arrive undamaged and working properly. Just because it may be tedious doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done. Just because Apple can do no wrong (according to some people), doesn’t mean they didn’t do wrong, and just because you don’t care enough to have an as expected, as advertised product from a company that has a reputation for exceptional products (especially products that AT MINIMUM are not damaged when received), and care enough to hold them accountable and to request a product they would deem worthy of their own labelled quality, doesn’t mean I don’t care about that. I buy from them for a reason, if I wanted an inferior product, I’d go to the reject shop (a shop here in AU), or Samsung, since their operating system is no where near the experience you can get on an iOS device.

I like Apple, I like using their products, I like using their ecosystem, and this is the product I want from them. So I will take time to find the one they finally give me that is actually up to the standard that they boast to have, and that I actually know it can be, since I seem to possess the rare qualities of patience, and determination, not found in many people these days...obviously there are good ones out there since many people say they are very happy with theirs, my girlfriend has one that is great, and people like you continually post here with unrelated opinions, suggestions, and judgements. Again, I am not looking for perfection, UNLESS, if you deem perfection a product without damage, and works normally, then it would definitely be your definition of perfect.

This thread is here for people to tell their experiences with their iPhones, not for unnecessary scrutiny of the person/people who question the validity of such a claim. It is unlikely that THAT will cease, knowing the flaws of human nature, but I am thankful to all the people who have posted about their experiences, and it has helped me paint a larger picture of what is going on with their products around the world. Plus, the more people that post about their experience, good or bad, the more aware the issue could become. That was not the goal at first, but seeing the facts has led me to believe certain things about the phones. The only hope is that someone objective enough takes a look at the facts and sees it for what it is, and escalates the issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.