Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
OP, I came to the realization that you are completely insane. Believe me, I too have OCD but your case is literally out of this world. Please, go see someone about this, I'm being so serious. You can't possibly feel good about yourself going through 16 (brand new) phones trying to find one without a dust spec. Like dude, c'mon now.

Thank you! I cant believe there are people here actually defending this behavior like its normal. I've said this earlier in the thread I dont believe he got 16 defective phones in a row, 2 or 3 ok thats happened to alot of us but 16?!?! No way. I honestly believe the OP is the type of person that takes a magnifying glass to the phone and examines every inch and looks for problems that aren't there. This is the most insane phone story I ever heard. If the OP is like this over a phone imagine him trying to buy a TV or laptop or a car. It must be a nightmare. Please seek help.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
The ones I have actually gotten around to checking, it has always been 100%. It is definitely not normal for you to get anything under that because it would mean the battery is either a failure or it has been used multiple times before you received it. It should not be deteriorating at that speed. :)

Are we taking about the same thing? I was referring to battery charge level, not battery capacity you can find buried in the menu\battery\. My previous iDevices have never came with such low battery level out of the box and I was wondering are they always charged to certain level at the factory, or does that wary from factory to factory?
Because if they are charged at the factory to say 80% then it would mean that my battery has self discharged during storage and may be already weakening due to shelf time. Based on the serial my phone was manufactured about 5 month ago. My wife's phone was manufactured 4 months ago (different factory and much better build quality (case is only creaking like mine but I guess that is more or less feature because I find it pretty impossible that two different units from two different factories would have some same rare fault).

Battery capacity in battery menu does show 100% and when checking more detailed information with PC applications, I can see that capacity there is little over 102% and charge cycles were 0 when I got the phone, so it was not used and it came in sealed retail box and it was bought from authorized reseller. However there are several small build quality issues with this one, but I'm trying to convince myself to suck up the loss since if I would compain I would probably just get refurbished or white box replacement which I consider used anyway (if I wanted a used phone I would have bought one). I hate the fact this company does not allow replacing brand new broken phone to another brand new with retail box.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Thank you! I cant believe there are people here actually defending this behavior like its normal. I've said this earlier in the thread I dont believe he got 16 defective phones in a row, 2 or 3 ok thats happened to alot of us but 16?!?! No way. I honestly believe the OP is the type of person that takes a magnifying glass to the phone and examines every inch and looks for problems that aren't there. This is the most insane phone story I ever heard. If the OP is like this over a phone imagine him trying to buy a TV or laptop or a car. It must be a nightmare. Please seek help.
I’m confused as to why you’d think 2-3 are okay if you think 16 are not okay. Meaning, if you believe that 2-3 can be returned for good reasons per person, why are you suggesting that returning more than that for the same reason is not okay for just 1 person? Obviously you haven’t seen many people with my problems, yes? So, it essentially should be even easier for you to believe that I was the particularly unlucky one, regardless of what you think odds are. If people took back the same amount of phones you are ‘okay’ with as acceptable, it’d be the same as if I took back a cumulative of those for myself, since others NOT experiencing these things.

Anyway, that’s besides the point. The problem is more widespread and more common than you think.
[doublepost=1543858702][/doublepost]Oh and just a reply to the post about the serial numbers and factory related issues, I have had serials that start with C and G. A couple different styles of serial, so I’d imagine they’re coming from different factories. I’ll just add that, and I think I may have mentioned it earlier, it could possibly be just the gold experiencing these issues, but that’s merely a theory. If anyone here who has posted about their *good* iPhone experience wants to update on the color they chose, that would be interesting to find out.
[doublepost=1543859058][/doublepost]
Are we taking about the same thing? I was referring to battery charge level, not battery capacity you can find buried in the menu\battery\. My previous iDevices have never came with such low battery level out of the box and I was wondering are they always charged to certain level at the factory, or does that wary from factory to factory?
Because if they are charged at the factory to say 80% then it would mean that my battery has self discharged during storage and may be already weakening due to shelf time. Based on the serial my phone was manufactured about 5 month ago. My wife's phone was manufactured 4 months ago (different factory and much better build quality (case is only creaking like mine but I guess that is more or less feature because I find it pretty impossible that two different units from two different factories would have some same rare fault).

Battery capacity in battery menu does show 100% and when checking more detailed information with PC applications, I can see that capacity there is little over 102% and charge cycles were 0 when I got the phone, so it was not used and it came in sealed retail box and it was bought from authorized reseller. However there are several small build quality issues with this one, but I'm trying to convince myself to suck up the loss since if I would compain I would probably just get refurbished or white box replacement which I consider used anyway (if I wanted a used phone I would have bought one). I hate the fact this company does not allow replacing brand new broken phone to another brand new with retail box.
Oh! I see what you’re talking about! In that case, I have had varying battery charge levels out of the box but they usually hovered around 70-80. When did you buy your phone again? I have always gotten brand new retail box replacements. If you’re within the 2 weeks for exchange, then you may as well exchange if you’re not happy, Apple wants you to be happy. What are the build quality issues with that phone?

Goompa

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2018
It’s pretty simple: there are people out there looking for perfection.

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Alright, there seems to be a lot to cover here, gimme a sec ;)
[doublepost=1543684793][/doublepost]So firstly, I just want to say, thank you to Relentless Power for remaining so objective, as essentially the one constant in this thread.

I'll just start with an update, and then get to a bit of replies.

Sorry for my absence, I can't quite remember the last thing I wrote about my situation, but it goes like this.

Right now I am on the 4th XS Max. I decided (as a personal choice, nothing to do with apple or their phones) to keep the Max, I'm a fan of the larger screen size, and is especially beneficial for me since I work in media, plus I travel a lot and having an almost mini-ipad to watch content on is great for me.

Anyway, my recent contact with the store has noted the issues I've had, including dust in the majority of the lenses, rough and uncomfortable edges, and 3 things I haven't encountered before (though I feel I mentioned it earlier) which are as follows:
1. Multiple chips out of the steel frame
2. Discoloration and scratching (looks like a strange symmetrical watermark) on the steel frame
3. A scratch on the inside of one of the lenses

I have 2 currently in my possession because the replacement shipment was quite earlier than expected, and one goes back Monday. During my chat with the sales rep on the phone, I suggested an option (that was apparently granted by a manager behind the scenes) to provide an extended return period, because I am not interested in running down their company with multiple exchanges (since some of you seem to tolerate defective devices and would happily take that defective one). I am hoping to get a completely new batch in just over 2 weeks from now, which was when I was instructed to call back to organize an exchange.

So basically, yes to the question - are they still coming with issues, and no - I haven't found one that hasn't had some sort of problem out of the box yet, but hoping I can get one with the next set of iPhones.

I totally understand your frustration, I myself got 4 differente iPhone XS with dust on cameras (well, to be hones only 3 had dest, the other on, which was flawless had a deep scratch on the back, which drove me nuts).
Just to try to indentify any pattern on the issues, namely any connection to a given factory, could you tell me the fisrt 3 digits of the serial numbers of the phones you got (if not all, at least some of them)?
All my phones came from G0N factiry in Shanghai.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Oh! I see what you’re talking about! In that case, I have had varying battery charge levels out of the box but they usually hovered around 70-80. When did you buy your phone again? I have always gotten brand new retail box replacements. If you’re within the 2 weeks for exchange, then you may as well exchange if you’re not happy, Apple wants you to be happy. What are the build quality issues with that phone?
Mine is bought under 2 weeks ago but from authorized reseller (not Apple store), so as far as I know there is no possibility to just return the unit for refund and buy another or have it replaced to another brand new retail box unit, since I would just have to deal with the service center and they will send refurbished or white box units where you cannot say what you are going to get. Anyway you would end up situation that you have phone and retail box that does not have matching serial number and even I could live with that (even it is a huge pain when eventually selling the phone one day) I would end up with the phone that who knows where it has been previously (which always brings to my mind the gold watch scene from the movie Pulp Fiction... :D).

As to charge level, like you said 70-80%, that has been my experience previously too and was with my wife's new X bought at the same time (but made in different factory a month later than mine).

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Mine is bought under 2 weeks ago but from authorized reseller (not Apple store), so as far as I know there is no possibility to just return the unit for refund and buy another or have it replaced to another brand new retail box unit, since I would just have to deal with the service center and they will send refurbished or white box units where you cannot say what you are going to get. Anyway you would end up situation that you have phone and retail box that does not have matching serial number and even I could live with that (even it is a huge pain when eventually selling the phone one day) I would end up with the phone that who knows where it has been previously (which always brings to my mind the gold watch scene from the movie Pulp Fiction... :D).

As to charge level, like you said 70-80%, that has been my experience previously too and was with my wife's new X bought at the same time (but made in different factory a month later than mine).
Doesn’t apple cover exchanges even from other company purchases?
[doublepost=1543890879][/doublepost]
I totally understand your frustration, I myself got 4 differente iPhone XS with dust on cameras (well, to be hones only 3 had dest, the other on, which was flawless had a deep scratch on the back, which drove me nuts).
Just to try to indentify any pattern on the issues, namely any connection to a given factory, could you tell me the fisrt 3 digits of the serial numbers of the phones you got (if not all, at least some of them)?
All my phones came from G0N factiry in Shanghai.
Is there a way to find out ones you’ve sent back? The one I currently have is C39 (I have had a couple of those), and the other ones I have had have mainly been G0-something. G06 or G0N like you said you have. I didn’t realize the serials indicated factory identification, otherwise I would have taken note of each! Unless there’s a way to find out...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s pretty simple: there are people out there looking for perfection.

No, that’s not even what this thread is about. What it’s about, is if Apple is going to charge the dollar that they do for their iPhones, (And if you watched any of their Keynotes), they talk about execution with their hardware standards being at the top, and some of these defects noted with rough edges, scratched phones, etc. that’s _not_ execution at all. Even though it’s a mass produced item, some of these defects should be questioned and scrutinized for what they are charging for their phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: PumpkingKing

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Doesn’t apple cover exchanges even from other company purchases?
[doublepost=1543890879][/doublepost]
Is there a way to find out ones you’ve sent back? The one I currently have is C39 (I have had a couple of those), and the other ones I have had have mainly been G0-something. G06 or G0N like you said you have. I didn’t realize the serials indicated factory identification, otherwise I would have taken note of each! Unless there’s a way to find out...

Can't you just get that info from the invoices?
[doublepost=1543922721][/doublepost]
No, that’s not even what does thread is about. What it’s about, is if Apple is going to charge the dollar that they do for their iPhones, (And if you watched any of their Keynotes), they talk about execution with their hardware standards being at the top, and some of these defects noted with rough edges, scratched phones, etc. that’s _not_ execution at all. Even though it’s a mass produced item, some of these defects should be questioned and scrutinized for what they are charging for their phones.

That's exactly my point!!!
Apple sells its products on keynotes as premium produced products (not just the materials, but production processes, tolerances and perfect finishes). It is not my interpretation , they sell it that way. I can recall a bunch of promotional videos commented by Jony Ive in which he states precisely that!
All those details reflect on the price point of Apple's products, so, why on earth should I accept dust particles on camera lenses, or scratched products?
That's not what I paid for.
If I want to deal with that sort of issues, I will pay less than half the price and buy a product from any other brand!
Customers are each day more demanding and rational, so, please do not use arguments as "no mass produced product is perfect".
I do not demand perfect products!
I demand products delivered the way they are advertised.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Can't you just get that info from the invoices?
I took a look at the invoices before and all they have on there is the model number, which is the same for all of them since they are all an iPhone XS Max. Good thought though, I wish they were on there, but I can say for sure that I definitely have had ones from separate facilities, I guess we just can’t identify which facilities except for the one that manufactured my current one.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No, that’s not even what this thread is about. What it’s about, is if Apple is going to charge the dollar that they do for their iPhones, (And if you watched any of their Keynotes), they talk about execution with their hardware standards being at the top, and some of these defects noted with rough edges, scratched phones, etc. that’s _not_ execution at all. Even though it’s a mass produced item, some of these defects should be questioned and scrutinized for what they are charging for their phones.
I wouldn't accept a phone (or car) that wasn't in perfect selling condition at time of sale. Apple (and the car companies) should deliver that.

However it does happen with mass produced items that a string of defects can occur and get through quality control. There is no magic answer for that. Happens with all manufactured goods.

Sounds like OP hit the phone lottery.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I wouldn't accept a phone (or car) that wasn't in perfect selling condition at time of sale. Apple (and the car companies) should deliver that.

However it does happen with mass produced items that a string of defects can occur and get through quality control. There is no magic answer for that. Happens with all manufactured goods.

Sounds like OP hit the phone lottery.

When you look for a wife, does she have to be perfect, too?

Perfect is rare.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Perfect is rare.
Perhaps, but if you're buying a product that the company markets as premium and you're paying a premium price, perhaps we need to expect a premium experience. I know life is not perfect, but by the same token, I don't want to give any company a pass because we live in an imperfect world. They themselves promote their products at how much better they are then the competition, so lets hold them to that word.

Now with that said, I've largely had extremely positive results when buying apple products, and their customer service is #1 in the industry.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Perhaps, but if you're buying a product that the company markets as premium and you're paying a premium price, perhaps we need to expect a premium experience. I know life is not perfect, but by the same token, I don't want to give any company a pass because we live in an imperfect world. They themselves promote their products at how much better they are then the competition, so lets hold them to that word.

Now with that said, I've largely had extremely positive results when buying apple products, and their customer service is #1 in the industry.
It is definitely the best customer service I have experienced over the years. It’s been all positive things for me as well up until this latest product.
[doublepost=1543945272][/doublepost]

Perfect is rare.
You don’t sell a wife...besides, if you’re in love, your partner is always perfect. Weird question you had there...

Reactions: 44267547 and I7guy

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

We must both be the most lucky people in the world as i have never had to return a single Apple product due to a defect.

Apple does not mind us holding them to their word, we all pay extra just for the privilege! But 16 times . . . sorry, would you keep coming back 16 times?
[doublepost=1543945525][/doublepost]
You don’t sell a wife...besides, if you’re in love, your partner is always perfect. Weird question you had there...

Not really perfect, you are just willing to overlook the flaws.

Reactions: Never mind

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
It’s obvious this year and last year have and have had manufacturing breakdowns where certain steps are not calibrated or monitored properly to produce their usual quality products.
[doublepost=1543945847][/doublepost]
We must both be the most lucky people in the world as i have never had to return a single Apple product due to a defect.

Apple does not mind us holding them to their word, we all pay extra just for the privilege! But 16 times . . . sorry, would you keep coming back 16 times?
[doublepost=1543945525][/doublepost]

Not really perfect, you are just willing to overlook the flaws.
Remember, I didn’t go back 16 times, I opened a large number in store at once. Still a lot, I don’t deny, but just saying. I’m not happy about the number. Never was.

As for your partner, I don’t think you overlook flaws. Unless YOU specifically do, what some people would call flaws, their partner would see features, so I feel like it can’t apply to this situation since the entire iPhone is advertised and received as feature after feature.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Perfect is rare.
Not even discussing if the item works. But in 2018, a manufacturer of premium products should deliver a product free from material defects, is the point.

This is not about finding what someone considers to be a "perfect" human.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not even discussing if the item works. But in 2018, a manufacturer of premium products should deliver a product free from material defects, is the point.

This is not about finding what someone considers to be a "perfect" human.

The point is that everyone has a different perception of perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect iPhone, iPad or anything mass produced.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The point is that everyone has a different perception of perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect iPhone, iPad or anything mass produced.
Not true, imo.

Upon delivery I expect my phone (or car) to be cosmetically perfect. Free from sample manufacturing defects. In 2018 this should be a possibility.

One can't control damage that happens during shipping, but upon leaving the factory a phone and car should be in perfect condition to the eye and hands. (edit: maybe a car more than a phone, however, one shouldn't accept cosmetically damaged goods at first delivery)

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not true, imo.

Upon delivery I expect my phone (or car) to be cosmetically perfect. Free from sample manufacturing defects. In 2018 this should be a possibility.

One can't control damage that happens during shipping, but upon leaving the factory a phone and car should be in perfect condition to the eye and hands. (edit: maybe a car more than a phone, however, one shouldn't accept cosmetically damaged goods at first delivery)

If you did not find defects you are not looking close enough!:rolleyes:
[doublepost=1543953447][/doublepost]
When I see that, of course, its less about getting 16 defective units, borders on the unrealistic and I think that's the flip side. People are are being too picky, or seeing something as an issue that may not be

I think maybe the OP is exaggerating a LOT! I can not see an Apple store allowing him to open 16 new iphones in search of his "perfect device"

Goompa

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2018
Well, in my experience I’ve always had problems with different apple products, so I just stop being that obsessed. It is true and completely understandable that you want something flawless. But reality has taught me that that it’s almost impossible by today standards.

I hope ppl stop buying their devices and they realize how bad their strategy’s been, and we get affordable apple prices again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.