Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There is no such thing as a perfect iPhone, iPad or anything mass produced.

I would highly disagree. My iPhone XS was perfect (And yes, I definitely inspected it). My AirPods and iPad were perfect in my last purchase.

There are perfect products out there, but with anything that is produced into a large quantities like the iPhone, there also will be high number of defects as well, that’s just the nature of Tech in general.

Reactions: Elitegate

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
My XS Max and XR both seem to be perfect in that nothing is wrong with them - no dings, no dust under the camera lens et.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

tr1ad

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Trinidad & Tobago
I'd praise apple here for the level of customer service, as they're still at it with you OP.

If the reps are seeing the same as you, then it can't be chalked up to OCD.

I'd question their QA/QC... And even those here that are just defending apple ...

Paying a premium ... It should be flawless ... Give or take the exception based on quantity / mass production...

Hopefully it'll be sorted out for you

HOTBOBA

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
I just returned a few and I'm calling it quits, no 16 iphones for me, maybe next year Apple.

The last one I received literally had paint chip/chip in the metal out of the box.

I applaud Apple for their no-frills return policy though. I can't think of a better experience in that area.

But it's a $1200 phone. I expect it to be reasonably defect-free.

Reactions: tr1ad

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The other day I had ordered a Kindle Oasis. First one’s USB port was defective. Second one had dust under the screen. The third one had a nauseous yellow tint at the extreme left of the screen. Fourth one’s battery was defective and kept running out within a day. The fifth one is a unicorn. It’s not out of the realm of possibility to get 16 defective items. Quality standards have slipped nowadays.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just returned a few and I'm calling it quits, no 16 iphones for me, maybe next year Apple.

The last one I received literally had paint chip/chip in the metal out of the box.

I applaud Apple for their no-frills return policy though. I can't think of a better experience in that area.

But it's a $1200 phone. I expect it to be reasonably defect-free.

You make a valid point, Apples return policy is uncontested. I can’t even think of another smart phone manufacturer that would allow that many returns, and even carriers I think even have restrictions with the amount of returns you’re allowed to make. With Apple, you’re not just purchasing the hardware, you’re purchasing the customer service.

Reactions: I7guy

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
Thankfully I’ve not had any issues with the Xr. I did have 4 iPhone 8’s before getting a decent one but I think at 16 I’d be returning and looking at different manufacturers. In fact I think I’d have given up at half that.

If I were in Apple's legal department I would have you prosecuted for consumer fraud.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If I were in Apple's legal department I would have you prosecuted for consumer fraud.

Care to explain your consumer fraud statement? Fairly confident Apples legal team would not prosecute anyone with four returned iPhone 8’s, not when Apple is *permitting* these returns.

tr1ad

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Trinidad & Tobago
A lot of Kool Aid and haterade has been shared it seems...

If they allow it, I believe they look at the concerns of the customer .... And they exchange, so clearly not a case of fraud

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010

Oookkkayyyy.
[doublepost=1544281650][/doublepost]
Care to explain your consumer fraud statement? Fairly confident Apples legal team would not prosecute anyone with four returned iPhone 8’s, not when Apple is *permitting* these returns.

It was three returns. First had a charge issue. Second randomly froze. The third had the same issue as the second but obviously the chances of that happening are minute so I spent two hours in the Apple shop trying to figure out what was causing the issue with three guys from the Genius Bar. I didn’t go in for a replacement. Just for help. They suggested replacing it to, as they said, be on the safe side. Then we set it up as new etc and tried to recreated the issue. Couldn’t. So determined it was something from my backup (I’d been very reluctant to set up as new because of messages). And sent me on my way.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
Oookkkayyyy.
[doublepost=1544281650][/doublepost]

It was three returns. First had a charge issue. Second randomly froze. The third had the same issue as the second but obviously the chances of that happening are minute so I spent two hours in the Apple shop trying to figure out what was causing the issue with three guys from the Genius Bar. I didn’t go in for a replacement. Just for help. They suggested replacing it to, as they said, be on the safe side. Then we set it up as new etc and tried to recreated the issue. Couldn’t. So determined it was something from my backup (I’d been very reluctant to set up as new because of messages). And sent me on my way.
What OP his doing is not fraud. Fraud is a serious offense and this is between he and Apple and from what he says is overt. Nothing to suggest he is acting deceptive.

Last edited by a moderator:

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
What OP his doing is not fraud. Fraud is a serious offense and this is between he and Apple and from what he says is overt. Nothing to suggest he is acting deceptive.

I’m not the OP!! And I didn’t accuse anyone of fraud!!

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I'd be too embarrassed to return 15 phones for petty reasons knowing everyone in that store thinks I'm insane. I doubt I'd be able to walk into the store after the first couple and I certainly couldn't stand there and open phones looking for a 'good one'. I don't think most people have it in them to do that. The OP is certainly a very special person. So are the employees of that store. I'm sure the OP will be mentioned in their training curriculum for decades to come.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.