Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
And we wonder why Apple charges so much for their phones...

After about 10 phones I would have bought a Galaxy Note. But then again I am not that picky. There may be evidence of dust and glue on my phone but I have never looked that close or even have a desire to look that close. Works as it should dust and all.

Over the years while lurking here I have seen people post photos of a spec of dust or a barely visible scratch, etc. You really had to shine a bright light on it and use a macro lens at just the right angle to even see it. I understand having OCD is a real problem so I am not going to pass judgment.

Great point of view. Ever imagine what would happen with so many returns if Apple paid a bit more of attention on QC phase? According to you judgement, prices could drop noticeably.
Apple loves customers thinking the way you do.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Personally I agree with OP here, why accept a product with defects? It don’t matter how many times an item is exchanged, if it has defects why is it an issue in wanting a new device? If I made a product and it had issues I’d expect some people to want replacements.
Just because some people would accept these issues and live with it I certainly wouldn’t.

Maybe it will give Apple a kick up the arse to do better in quality control.

Adam.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
iPhone XS has a protection rating for dust and water, therefore, even man made items with a IP6 should not contain dust within them, nor allow it inside, in any context.

Well, strictly speaking, they are protected against ingress of dust, but if they are manufactured with dust inside, then that dust might be considered part of the product, not something that entered the barrier from the outside. :p

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well, strictly speaking, they are protected against ingress of dust, but if they are manufactured with dust inside, then that dust might be considered part of the product, not something that entered the barrier from the outside. :p

That’s the problem, Dust is trapped inside the camera lens cover during the manufacturing assembly from the Foxconn plant in China, the dust does not protrude once the customer owns the phone there after, the phone arrives like that directly from the factory.

Last edited:

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia

Yes, you're definitely technically correct. That definitely makes since, especially for the camera. Although, we don't necessarily know if dust entered the camera after the installation during whatever stage comes next. But as far the dust, debris, or whatever it is, in between the bezels...that is possibly more likely to have entered post-assembly, since the reason it may be in there is the large space between the bezel and the seal / glass, which is easily penetrated by dust, or even toothpicks. Some of that 'debris' may possibly be sealant or adhesive for the bezels that just doesn't keep them sealed, but much of it is definitely wipeable and movable with a rag or toothpick and certainly looks like large dust particles.
[doublepost=1542631323][/doublepost]
Personally I agree with OP here, why accept a product with defects? It don’t matter how many times an item is exchanged, if it has defects why is it an issue in wanting a new device? If I made a product and it had issues I’d expect some people to want replacements.
Just because some people would accept these issues and live with it I certainly wouldn’t.

Adam.
Hopefully!
[doublepost=1542631551][/doublepost]
Tim, is that you?
[doublepost=1542615119][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1542615736][/doublepost]

Do you have any data supporting that figure?
IMHO Apple still sells so many devices due to a well built marketing machine and results are preset clear: Apple markets the XS and XS max as IP68 devices, yet there are units leaving factories with dust in the camera lenses. People find that normal. People rants over customers that don’t accept such a low quality standard. People attack customers and state the issue is the customer. Remember Antennagate? Issue were customers that were grabbing phone the wrong way... Yet, antennas were redesigned.
When I buy a phone, sold as advertised and I drop it on concrete, that’s my responsibility. When I buy a phone that gets delivered not complying to what Apple advertise, I won’t take it. I value every cent I spent, it costs me a lot to earn, so its me who set my standards. Apple is on a free fall quality wise. And that’s a big deal for me. In my case, I bought a XS over Apple Online Store. Dust on camera. A replacement was sent with a deep scratch on the back glass. Second esplendente has specs of dust all over the two rear cameras.
If this was happening with Samsung, Huawei or Google, what would be your reaction?
That is insane! I've never had a major scratch come on any of the phones. Thank you so much for sharing! Exactly what I created this thread for.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
Tim, is that you?
[doublepost=1542615119][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1542615736][/doublepost]

Do you have any data supporting that figure?
IMHO Apple still sells so many devices due to a well built marketing machine and results are preset clear: Apple markets the XS and XS max as IP68 devices, yet there are units leaving factories with dust in the camera lenses. People find that normal. People rants over customers that don’t accept such a low quality standard. People attack customers and state the issue is the customer. Remember Antennagate? Issue were customers that were grabbing phone the wrong way... Yet, antennas were redesigned.
When I buy a phone, sold as advertised and I drop it on concrete, that’s my responsibility. When I buy a phone that gets delivered not complying to what Apple advertise, I won’t take it. I value every cent I spent, it costs me a lot to earn, so its me who set my standards. Apple is on a free fall quality wise. And that’s a big deal for me. In my case, I bought a XS over Apple Online Store. Dust on camera. A replacement was sent with a deep scratch on the back glass. Second esplendente has specs of dust all over the two rear cameras.
If this was happening with Samsung, Huawei or Google, what would be your reaction?

You bring up a good point. Do people return Samsung and other products as often due to perceived quality issues? I am sure people will have opinions but I wonder if there are any stats to compare? I haven't found any.
[doublepost=1542635597][/doublepost]
Great point of view. Ever imagine what would happen with so many returns if Apple paid a bit more of attention on QC phase? According to you judgement, prices could drop noticeably.
Apple loves customers thinking the way you do.

My point is people return things for all kinds of reasons. Swapping a phone 16 times to find the perfect one is a great example. I read about people returning Apple products here all the time. I wonder what the average return rate is per person? I have read on this forum alone that one person could be responsible for multiple returns. Multiply that by thousands of customers and I would bet thousands if not millions of items get returned annually. Some have real issues, but a lot of what I have read here appear to be returns due to perceived cosmetic issues, or they bought the item and decided for one reason or another they made the wrong choice.

Apple offers a 14 day return window, but that does not mean it should be used as a green light to constantly return an item because you decide you don't like the color or you got cold feet about making the purchase. That's not Apple's problem.

Sorry if I am coming off as the purchase police, but I feel instead of waiting in line, or standing by the front door waiting for UPS to arrive with your new purchase, take a few days to contemplate your purchase or do some research before you return it because you had second thoughts.

I wondered if all the returns affect their bottom line profits. I sarcastically joked that prices would be lower if they weren't taking a hit on reselling all these returned items as refurbs. Maybe I am way off, or I could be onto something. Who knows.

I feel Apple's return policy is abused. Sorry. Like everything else, eventually we loose the privilege due to abuse. Just my point of view.

Last edited:

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015

Adam.

I think the issue some people have with the returns is that some things aren't really issues so much as nit picking.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I think Apple need to be commended on their patience and continued customer service. If you returned a device 16-18 times to a company like Amazon for instance, they would blacklist you on their database and from what I’ve heard it’s irreversible on their side.

Personally if I was the OP I would have written this off king before now and be looking at alternatives.

Amazon would likely terminate after the fourth return or thereabouts. The likelihood of real defects occurring after this many instances probably rises to the ranks of hitting the powerball number a few weeks ago. At the same time i don't mind seeing Apple take the hit on phone returns given their per unit gross margins.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
In almost every phone Ive opened up, there has been some sort of strange debris / possibly glue (holding the bezels and watertight seals together) between the bezels, and obviously if you can see that, the metal or seals are separated.

I'm just curious, is this an actual fact or just your opinion? There is a big difference between the two and in this day and age I think a lot of people have lost sight of this and just assume that opinions are facts.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Amazon would likely terminate after the fourth return or thereabouts. The likelihood of real defects occurring after this many instances probably rises to the ranks of hitting the powerball number a few weeks ago. At the same time i don't mind seeing Apple take the hit on phone returns given their per unit gross margins.
I know. Crazy that it is. Its like I won the lottery in a way. In a bad way.
[doublepost=1542639773][/doublepost]
When you go to a restaurant, do you die of starvation before you get a 'properly' prepared meal?
Would you eat an improperly prepared meal? Such as a dish with a jar of salt or pepper dropped into it unintentionally but served anyway? I wouldn't complain over a little salt because I'm not about to wait for another meal because I'm hungry. But I'd definitely send it back if I felt like I was eating ocean water.

(Every part of that was an analogy. Good luck with it.)
[doublepost=1542639981][/doublepost]
I'm just curious, is this an actual fact or just your opinion? There is a big difference between the two and in this day and age I think a lot of people have lost sight of this and just assume that opinions are facts.
Are you referring to the fact about the water seal and bezels being held together by some sort of glue or adhesive? If so, according to the manager who was assisting me with this dilemma, it is a fact. I think I mentioned some posts ago (not sure if you got a chance to read through), the manager was looking at these phones with me, opening them for me, checking himself and then letting me check. On one occasion, he didn't give me a phone to check because he deemed it to have a large gap between the bezels and hence not water resistant. Without my influence. That was surprising for me because, as with many of the doubters on here, I too thought he was doubting me, but in reality he was seeing the same thing I was, and was more than happy to continue checking phones to find one without a noticeable issue. Most of the time though, I did point out the issue because many people can't see what I see, but it's not like you have to search for these things. They're visible straight out of the box.
[doublepost=1542640025][/doublepost]
Why are you opening up the phones?
By open up, I mean opening the box up, not the actual phone. :)

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Thank you. As I said, not looking hard to find this stuff.
Oh I would beg to differ due to having returned 16 phones. It’s clear you are not going to be satisfied

Hope you never buy a house that’s worth magnitudes more! Can’t imagine how stressed you would be with all the imperfections you would find

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
This is why I’m done with apple. I’ve had my X replaced about 7 times. Due to issues like the speaker going out then dust under the lens of several different ones. Never had this issue with Samsung or LG. Apple= over priced junk...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Two things I wanted to add:

1) I got my mom an iPhone XS Max the other day and I didn't even check if there was specks of dust or a scratches anyways. I simply opened the phone, activated it for her, put on a screen protector, and put into one of those Apple silicon cases. My mom is very happy, and she takes tons of pictures a day so I'm sure nothing is wrong with the camera.

2) I have owned my iPhone XS Max for about two months now. I did not inspect the phone or anything either. I simply bought, activated it, and put a screen protector on it. That's as far as I've gotten. What does my phone look like now? It has scratches on the back, the edges, a couple scuffs on the screen protector... now doesn't it bother me? Nope.

My thoughts for you is~
1) If you're using a case, why does it really matter that much how many small imperfections there are. Like another member said, what happens when you buy a car will you measure panel gaps or paint imperfections?

2) If you're going to use your phone without a case, it will get all these imperfections anyways. I use just about every phone I have without a case.'

If you're not impressed with Apple QA, perhaps it's time to move on.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Love the drive by commenters and judgmental people. OP didn't physically return or exchange 16 phones. Several were done by managers while at the store and they just opened the phones up for him without ringing up any transaction. Of course OP is guilty in the court of public opinion in this thread. If the store managers are doing this for him he's not abusing any policy or doing anything wrong. Simple as that. Sure it is a colossal waste of time to most people. Who cares how OP spends his time. If he's deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem he can't "just move on" that easily. 98% of Android phones are pure trash and the XR is overpriced. Keep fighting the good fight OP.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Love the drive by commenters and judgmental people. OP didn't physically return or exchange 16 phones. Several were done by managers while at the store and they just opened the phones up for him without ringing up any transaction. Of course OP is guilty in the court of public opinion in this thread. If the store managers are doing this for him he's not abusing any policy or doing anything wrong. Simple as that. Sure it is a colossal waste of time to most people. Who cares how OP spends his time. If he's deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem he can't "just move on" that easily. 98% of Android phones are pure trash and the XR is overpriced. Keep fighting the good fight OP.

If the OP did not want the commentary and resulting judgement, why post into a public forum at all?

The Apple Store mentality is to satisfy the customer. Can you imagine what other customers will think if the manager said "that's good enough?" The actions of the manager are clearly in response to the actions of the OP. If another customer goes into the store, they would not have this type of problem.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
why accept a product with defects?

Depends upon what you consider a "defect." The person who returns 16 iPhones has only proven two things: (1) he/she is obsessive/anal-compulsive and (2) there are unit-to-unit manufacturing variations in iPhones, something I've known ever since I started using them several years ago.

If you find yourself taking a magnifying glass to your iPhone, you need to check your sanity. The unit I have sitting next to me has several defects if looked at through a magnifying glass--always has. Another unit sitting next to me also has defects--just different ones. Do they interfere with the devices' functions? No. Not a bit.
[doublepost=1542651437][/doublepost]
What does my phone look like now? It has scratches on the back, the edges, a couple scuffs on the screen protector

Pretty soon you'll be able to sell it at a premium as a "distressed" iPhone. ;)

Last edited:

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Didn't OP get to look over every single one of the phones that he was presented before purchase, I forget why they return the original phone they bought. If I remember right, I got to look over my current phone before it was purchased and set up. What is the likelihood that the OP inadvertently did something that caused the "imperfections" themselves?

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Ironically, I could probably polish out all these scratches on the stainless steel and on the back glass, and it'll look "better" than new apparently.

I'm currently wearing a 3-year-old pair of pants that has just started ripping in the knees. Thanks to the rips, I sense that they're more valuable than when I bought them.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
You're abusing your customer rights, if I were the manager I would have refunded your money, flagged you and kicked you out at the thrid attempt. 16 is beyond insane and disrespectful.

Keep what you got or ask for a refund and get another phone.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Re: Dust in the camera-

I've seen a few brand new $10K+ Nikon lenses that had internal dust.

I don't make a habit of buying new lenses, but my most expensive one has a $2500 sticker price new(I paid a bit over $1200 for it used from a reputable used dealer). Yes, it has some dust in it-not a lot, but it's there. This particular lens is one where-due to the optical design-dust inside the front element or close to the front could potentially be a big deal. It's not!

Even worse, not too long ago I looked at a new $2K lens(AF-Nikkor 135mm f/2 DC) that had a bubble in the glass. That was once spun as a sign of quality, although you rarely see it in modern manufacturing. I didn't buy the lens, but the bubble didn't scare me away from it, and I COULD NOT see it testing it in the store on a 45mp camera.

I would not reject a cell phone over dust in the camera-I can virtually guarantee that you'll never see it in your images.

Reactions: 204353
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.