Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
I just finished reading this thread and I am amazed with so many posts blaming the OP for a situation is just simply unnacceptable.
Apple prices are far from being reasonable, due to the perfection, precision, high level of quality.
Can anyone explain to me how come it is acceptable to keep a new phone with dust on camera lenses, considering this is a dust and water resistant phone?
Honestly, if I buy a Samsung, Huawei or other brand phone costing a third this costs, I get no such issues!
And all people say is that customers have to bare with this, because there is no way to get a perfect device?
As far as I can tell, the op wants to get a device with at least the same quality level other brands happen to deliver.
And just for the record: I got today my 3rd iPhone XS, 2 of them with dust specs on camera, the third one had a deep scratch on back glass out of the box.
If I accept to pay that much for Apple products, as I expect great quality from them, I cannot accept this type of defects out of the box.
And classifying that as OCD is just a nonsense!
Apple quality control is just crap, and til customers start to let them know they expect to pay for products with no production issues, they will keep selling low quality produced products and charging premium prices for all of them.
It's as simple as that.

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I just finished reading this thread and I am amazed with so many posts blaming the OP for a situation is just simply unnacceptable.
Apple prices are far from being reasonable, due to the perfection, precision, high level of quality.
Can anyone explain to me how come it is acceptable to keep a new phone with dust on camera lenses, considering this is a dust and water resistant phone?
Honestly, if I buy a Samguns, Huawei or other brand phone costing a third this costs, I get no such issues!
And all people say is that customers have to bare with this, because there is no way to get a perfect device?
As far as I can tell, the op wants to get a device with at least the same quality level other brands happen to deliver.
And just for the record: I got today my 3rd iPhone XS, 2 of them with dust specs on camera, the third one had a deep scratch on back glass out of the box.
If I accept to pay that much for Apple products, as I expect great quality from them, I cannot accept this type of defects out of the box.
Apple quality control is just crap, and til customers start to let them know they expect to pay for products with no production issues, they will keep selling low quality produced products and charging premium prices for all of them.
It's as simple as that.

Agreed, wrote the same thing on the previous page.

It’s baffling. And the notion that rejecting a phone is ‘a waste’ suggests that Apple just throws these phones away, but they’ll just be repaired. How many defective phones do they take in every day world wide anyway?

Reactions: PumpkingKing

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Honestly, if I buy a Samguns, Huawei or other brand phone costing a third this costs, I get no such issues!
It's as simple as that.
When the majority of your user base cares more about poop emojis and Instagram over anything else, why would you spend additional resources on or care about quality control. Most people don't care and Apple laughs all the way to the bank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elitegate

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
They were all faulty, so yes. Honestly what is the matter exactly? What do you call it then?
EDIT: Notice to readers—I understand it’s a hard to believe claim. Note that first, these are exchanges, not returns. Secondly, almost half the exchanges occurred in succession at the store without a complete transaction, I did not travel 16 times back and forth to the store. Thirdly, I have exchanged once at a different store—same issues.

Hey all,

I haven't found many threads relating to iPhone Xs issues, but I thought I'd share my experience and wanted to see if anyone else is having any issues like these, because I want to decide what I should do from here (i.e. keep current iPhone or return, and place an online order).

So basically, as the title says, I am currently in possession of my 16 exchanged iPhone Xs (and apparently my last exchange because they're losing money opening all those phones). Something seems to be wrong with apples manufacturing facility or something. In almost every phone Ive opened up, there has been some sort of strange debris / possibly glue (holding the bezels and watertight seals together) between the bezels, and obviously if you can see that, the metal or seals are separated.

Besides that being present in almost every phone, I have had 2 with dust within the camera lens, 1 with a rattling speaker, quite a few with button issues (mushy and uneven), and many with uneven and almost sharp edges along where the steel meets the glass, and a lot of the iPhones have multiple of these issues combined.

All of the display models I checked at the store had the debris as well, and one phone I opened had an almost pre-peeled and crumpled plastic cover (you know, the plastic that comes on the phone, you use to pull it out of the box then peel it off the phone).

At one point, I opened up about 5 in store at once and all of them had issues, and all the staff involved, including managers, saw it as well. I have never had this experience with an iPhone. They always come perfect and develop some sort of defects or issues later in their life, if any.

My local store is Robina, in QLD, Australia. I was hoping to get some feedback about other users phones, and if they notice anything like the issues I noticed mentioned above, to find out if its just a few stores here in Australia receiving these horribly produced phones (compared to apples own boasted standards obviously), or if this is happening across multiple countries. The current phone I have now is probably the best Ive had, with minor mushy volume down button on the lower half of it, and only a slightly uneven 'edgy' bezel. It's alright, but it's not what apple should be sending out, and nothing like what Ive ever received before from the company. I am just debating though on returning it, and then attempting to order one online, and possibly get it from another location or 'batch' to see if it could be just a bad batch.

(Also, just to note, this has occurred over 2 months of exchanges, besides the 5 or 6 at once in store, starting with the pre-ordered one I received on September 21st)

Anyway, thanks for reading if you took the time, and I appreciate any and all replies.

Kind regards,
PK

EDIT: I appreciate everyones replies thus far, and thank you. I just wanted to post a reminder that, while I do appreciate your wisdom and opinions, I am mainly looking for anyone who might have noticed the same issues I have. I came here for others experiences with their iPhones, and not for plain suggestions and assumptions. I can say, I know what I know, I see what I see, and I would not be here listing a seemingly ridiculous topic if it was made up. It goes without saying that no one except myself and the ones around me have seen this first hand, so its understandable if you can't fathom this a reality. But family, friends, and apple store employees have all agreed upon this. If they didn't, how would I be this many phones in without their approval? Believe it or not, I just want one that works properly out of the box, as it should come according to Apple. If I didn't want that, I'd go to another less reputable company and buy a phone from them, toss it when it completely breaks, and just buy another new one.

EDIT 2: For those of you who can't fathom that the apple store was on board with my iPhone comments, here is at least half of the 16 phones, and for some I don't have receipts because, as I said, a few were opened in the store before making a complete transaction to make sure they were actually up to standard. I feel it would be unreasonable to continually exchange unnecessarily, and as you all are aware, so would Apple. But I have had genuine, visible and noticeable defects witnessed by the staff who have helped me out. I agree that 16 is a ridiculous amount, and I am also amazed, and to be honest, disappointed, that this is the case.

I have just blacked out most of the information except for the date and the end of the serial numbers so at least you can notice there are multiple serial numbers over different days, with some a same day, and a few only a couple days apart.
View attachment 802633 View attachment 802634 View attachment 802635 View attachment 802636 View attachment 802637 View attachment 802638 View attachment 802639 View attachment 802640
My standard response to celestial threads like this one adjust your expectations or two move on.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
After 16 phones, you call it bad luck?

What does it matter? Apple permitted the OP to make the returns, so in theory, they can make as many returns they want until Apple restricts them otherwise. And clearly Apple is allowing this, so it shouldn’t be a problem for anyone other than the OP sharing their experiences. Now, for example, if the OP was complaining if Apple was limiting the returns, that would be different. But Apple is granting the OP until they say otherwise.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
What does it matter? Apple permitted the OP to make the returns, so in theory, they can make as many returns they want until Apple restricts them otherwise. And clearly Apple is allowing this, so it shouldn’t be a problem for anyone other than the OP sharing their experiences. Now, for example, if the OP was complaining if Apple was limiting the returns, that would be different. But Apple is granting the OP until they say otherwise.

That’s true. Especially if you’ve bought LOTS of apple products year over year. They probably let the limit slide to keep the relationship long term

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
I’m glad that this definitely is a multiple country affliction on the phones, in the sense that I am not alone in dealing with their production quality, and at least some others might possibly speak up, rather than me somehow just having had that many bad iPhones in Australia. Thanks for the indirect defense some of you are providing in response to the ridiculous and unnecessary comments being posted here. Agreed defective is defective, how anyone can accept a device that’s defective is beyond me, but each to their own.

To update my situation, I have a replacement organized for that Max I received with the dust in the lens. Hopefully I can at a minimum get a dust-free product by Tuesday or Wednesday, and if there’s any other issue, I’m just going to try and take advantage of the extended return and just make another exchange in early January.

Reactions: s54 and sunapple

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’m glad that this definitely is a multiple country affliction on the phones, in the sense that I am not alone in dealing with their production quality, and at least some others might possibly speak up, rather than me somehow just having had that many bad iPhones in Australia. Thanks for the indirect defense some of you are providing in response to the ridiculous and unnecessary comments being posted here. Agreed defective is defective, how anyone can accept a device that’s defective is beyond me, but each to their own.

To update my situation, I have a replacement organized for that Max I received with the dust in the lens. Hopefully I can at a minimum get a dust-free product by Tuesday or Wednesday, and if there’s any other issue, I’m just going to try and take advantage of the extended return and just make another exchange in early January.

Have you considered an XR and waiting for next years flagship?

Though I’m positive there’s Xr duds much better yield in general screen and build wise imo. And stellar battery

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Have you considered an XR and waiting for next years flagship?

Though I’m positive there’s Xr duds much better yield in general screen and build wise imo. And stellar battery
A little, but in the next week I’m definitely going to give it further thought and weigh up the pros and cons.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
If Apple is going to charge this much for devices, they deserve every return they get if the devices aren't perfect in every way. They invited that when they chose to upcharge so much. You gotta have a really irrational love of a corporation to side with Apple on this.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
I can almost bet if the OP leaves Apple, and goes to perhaps Google or Samsung, he will come up with the same complaints with their phones.

Guaranteed
I would never pick up Samsung, their bloatware ruins their phones.
If I didn’t use the icloud ecosystem, I’d go with google for sure, for their great software and inexpensive phones. Also, you should either read the entire thread or leave since you clearly wish to show, or can’t help but show, your lack of intelligence in your post.
[doublepost=1542466271][/doublepost]
If Apple is going to charge this much for devices, they deserve every return they get if the devices aren't perfect in every way. They invited that when they chose to uncharge so much. You gotta have a really irrational love of a corporation to side with Apple on this.
Good point :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
On a side note:

One thing I find disappointing with Apple, if you have a defective device, and you contact Apple and request a warranty device, they now charge you $30 to ship the phone to you express if you *don’t* have Applecare Plus. If you have AppleCare Plus, then they don’t charge you the $30. In the years past, Apple would always send you The replacement device _without_ charging you the shipping fee within two business days.

As a customer with a defective device, I feel they shouldn’t have to charge you the $30 to ship you a new phone when you have a defective device that’s out of the customers control to begin with. [And Apple cannot dismiss/waiver the $30.00 ship fee either.]

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
It is possible the store got a bad batch, it does happen despite the QC. I work a lot with servers and bought 12 3TB WD Black drives a few years back, every single drive failed within days of each other. When I checked the serials they were 001, 002, 003, 004, 005 and so on, even WD admitted it was a manufacturing fault in a particular range.

16 does seem a lot though, either it was a bad batch or a couple that were not up to par then being overly picky afterwards.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Seems perfectly plausible that the store received a bad batch of phones. People on this site just love defending Apple. Perhaps Apple should look at thier ever declining quality control. Still can't believe some of the replies in this thread, accusing the op of everything under the sun. So sad.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
It is possible PumpkingKing is only trolling us...
Actually, it’s not. I’m 26 years old. ‘Trolling’ is a teen word, not in my vocabulary.
[doublepost=1542558476][/doublepost]
It is possible the store got a bad batch, it does happen despite the QC. I work a lot with servers and bought 12 3TB WD Black drives a few years back, every single drive failed within days of each other. When I checked the serials they were 001, 002, 003, 004, 005 and so on, even WD admitted it was a manufacturing fault in a particular range.

16 does seem a lot though, either it was a bad batch or a couple that were not up to par then being overly picky afterwards.
I’m thinking it’s more like an international issue with some people in other countries noticing some of the defects as well. But it is still possible that maybe the majority came here or something.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Actually, it’s not. I’m 26 years old. ‘Trolling’ is a teen word, not in my vocabulary.
[doublepost=1542558476][/doublepost]
I’m thinking it’s more like an international issue with some people in other countries noticing some of the defects as well. But it is still possible that maybe the majority came here or something.

I’m curious .. have you seen any display / demo units at the store that have wow’d ya?

How long ya gonna keep this golden goose if you find it? Worried about breaking it?

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Seems perfectly plausible that the store received a bad batch of phones. People on this site just love defending Apple. Perhaps Apple should look at thier ever declining quality control. Still can't believe some of the replies in this thread, accusing the op of everything under the sun. So sad.
Yeah...most apple fans are too in love with apple to think they could ever do wrong. Plus many of them probably just don’t have an eye or a care for this type of thing, and majority who make the comments probably don’t have one of the new iPhones themselves.
[doublepost=1542558880][/doublepost]
I’m curious .. have you seen any display / demo units at the store that have wow’d ya?

How long ya gonna keep this golden goose if you find it? Worried about breaking it?
Demo units are afflicted unfortunately, so no. 3 years is the goal. Once warranty runs out I usually figure that I keep what I have unless something really stands out that I think I’d appreciate in terms of hardware, features and convenience.

Not worried about breaking it because I often don’t break / drop / damage any of what I buy. I often don’t use a case on the phone in particular since it’s just so nice to hold (usually), unless I need to sit it somewhere or I know I’m going somewhere that might be potentially dangerous for the phone, I’ll chuck on the silicone case.

Reactions: tr1ad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.