Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Op if you get a willy wonka gold ticket xs how long ya plan on keeping it?

I hope at least 2 years for your efforts
Looking to have this phone a long time.
[doublepost=1541845388][/doublepost]
I believe op but going through double digit units is unfathomable

It would suck the joy out of the purchase process

I went through more than a few X, before striking gold nearly giving up and the replacement device good enough and better than most I saw. But not double digit. And that made me exhausted. Swap hell is hell

First XR I got a beauty of a screen and good build. Finally some good luck

iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 I think I had the worst luck with and OG with negative black
Every phone and other product I’ve had before this has been perfect. iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 7Plus, multiple iPad minis, MacBooks, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
OP - your phones were obviously from a bad batch which shouldn't happen with QC. I hope you get something you're happy with.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I'm lucky in that I live within walking distance of an Apple store, but 16 phones that were not right would have driven me mad.

When I get home after a purchase I have a good long look at the phone before powering it up, checking for dust or any obvious scratches. I've been lucky so far. The only time I returned an item to the Apple store was an iPod Touch 6th generation whose battery literally lasted 2 hours from a full charge. They exchanged it quite happily.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple is _Way_ more gracious than they should have been in this situation. I actually called my carrier today for a phone order, and I implied how many times a customer can exchange a ‘defective’ phone, at first the representative didn’t actually know, then transferred over me to tech support, which I was told up to five times before the account is flagged. (Which also flags their system if the customer is ‘Hopping’ from to different store locations as well.)

Altogether, I realize carriers are different from Apple’s policies, but it’s the principle that not many companies exist like Apple to permit this many exchanges.

Reactions: Never mind

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Apple is _Way_ more gracious than they should have been in this situation. I actually called my carrier today for a phone order, and I implied how many times a customer can exchange a ‘defective’ phone, at first the representative didn’t actually know, then transferred over me to tech support, which I was told up to five times before the account is flagged. (Which also flags their system if the customer is ‘Hopping’ from to different store locations as well.)

Altogether, I realize carriers are different from Apple’s policies, but it’s the principle that not many companies exist like Apple to permit this many exchanges.
Strange, seeing as defective can mean faulty. But understandable if the contingency plan from that company is to supply you with a separate item that works properly.
[doublepost=1541849388][/doublepost]
I'm lucky in that I live within walking distance of an Apple store, but 16 phones that were not right would have driven me mad.

When I get home after a purchase I have a good long look at the phone before powering it up, checking for dust or any obvious scratches. I've been lucky so far. The only time I returned an item to the Apple store was an iPod Touch 6th generation whose battery literally lasted 2 hours from a full charge. They exchanged it quite happily.
I was forced to check my phones out properly after the 4th because of how many issues I already encountered.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Are you dead set on the XS? The XR is pretty nice and you don't lose out on much.

Or you could splurge for an XS Max.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Well, I definitely want the Xs for the camera, so Xr is out. I was originally gonna buy the max, but I figured why not have a more pocketable phone with a still large display, and $200 cheaper. It’s crossed my mind to upgrade to that though. I looked through the web a bit and noticed they have certain issues of their own, like bad displays, body creaking while using...Not that I expect that, I am thinking of returning the one I have and ordering one in the online store, and if that one isn’t any good, I would give the Max a go.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I looked through the web a bit and noticed they have certain issues of their own, like bad displays, body creaking while using...

Try not to read to deep into everything you read on the internet, and perhaps that’s part of the issue here. Yes, those issues mentioned have existed, but that’s just based on those who frequent tech forums alike to discuss flaws observed. Apple produces over 600,000 iPhones a day, it doesn’t mean that if you purchase an iPhone XS Max would be subject to those issues with creaking or bad displays either.

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Both My XS Max and XR arrived with no issues on them. I definitely think you've gone through a bad batch of XS's.

People who buy phones generally only post when they have problems, and the amount of people on these forums is miniscule compared with the total number of iPhone users.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Try not to read to deep into everything you read on the internet, and perhaps that’s part of the issue here. Yes, those issues mentioned have existed, but that’s just based on those who frequent tech forums alike to discuss flaws observed. Apple produces over 600,000 iPhones the day, it doesn’t mean that if you purchase an iPhone XS Max would be subject to those issues with creaking or bad displays either.
I agree, like I said, I’d definitely look into getting the Max, I’m not expecting it to have issues or anything. Besides the dust in the camera, I’ve never explicitly checked over any of my phones, lately the issues just present themselves in a couple minutes of just touching or viewing the phone. I have nothing against apple and I don’t mind having to return anything, I’m just looking for a phone that comes and works as it should.
[doublepost=1541852071][/doublepost]
Both My XS Max and XR arrived with no issues on them. I definitely think you've gone through a bad batch of XS's.

People who buy phones generally only post when they have problems, and the amount of people on these forums is miniscule compared with the total number of iPhone users.
So you ordered yours online? What country did you order in? Sorry, I forget if you mentioned that.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
The Max isn't that bad; I can fit mine in my jeans pocket with the Apple leather case on it and it's fairly comfortable.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
What about Chermside and Brisbane? Perhaps you "forgot" to mention those as well?

Just buy it online, and if it's rubbish get an XR.
I left out Chermside and Brisbane because all 3 are a short distance from each other, so the likelihood that those other 2 stores would have the same stock as Carindale is high. Plus, I went to carindale because I was in the area, and I am rarely ever in those areas.
—and yes, that’s probably what I’m going to do.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I agree, like I said, I’d definitely look into getting the Max, I’m not expecting it to have issues or anything. Besides the dust in the camera, I’ve never explicitly checked over any of my phones, lately the issues just present themselves in a couple minutes of just touching or viewing the phone. I have nothing against apple and I don’t mind having to return anything, I’m just looking for a phone that comes and works as it should.
[doublepost=1541852071][/doublepost]
So you ordered yours online? What country did you order in? Sorry, I forget if you mentioned that.

Sorry, I meant to say I picked mine up in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
Dust on a camera lens generally isn’t too much of an issue and while the sand might apply to dust between the lenses it would be enough for me to return the product whether an iPhone or a lens for a different camera.

This does sound like a bad batch so I think the strategy of ordering online is the way to go.

I hope you get a good one. I’m pleased with my Xs.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
I agree with the OP if he is buying the phone outright then he has every right to be picky with his perception of the product. I will tell you I recently upgraded my wife's phone from the 7+ to the Xs Max and right out of the box her phone didn't have a SIM card installed. I watched the guy cut the wrapper off the box, so I know it was sealed. To the OP maybe try a different model, maybe get the Xs max instead. This might be a problem where they were assembled and when they were assembled. Could be that these are some of the first ones out and as such they rushed to meet numbers hoping nobody caught those issues.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Just wanted to post an update. I ordered a XS Max and received it today. It has an uneven side button with the bottom half being a very very quiet click, and the top obviously a normal loud click, some light ridges on the back right side and did originally come with some debris in the top right corner of the bezels, but I managed to get it out.

This phone was shipped from Sydney, which is a state away from where I am, so these issues definitely plague other states devices, and not just Queensland. However I’m still unsure whether it’s a thing people are affected by overseas.

I do like the Max better than the Xs, it’s actually fine in my hands, it’s a great phone! I’m very tired of returning these things though, so I figure I’ll just order one more and whichever one is worse, I’ll return. I foresee the side button becoming worse, since it’s already bad, so hopefully the next one IS the better one :’)

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Just wanted to post an update. I ordered a XS Max and received it today. It has an uneven side button with the bottom half being a very very quiet click, and the top obviously a normal loud click, some light ridges on the back right side and did originally come with some debris in the top right corner of the bezels, but I managed to get it out.

This phone was shipped from Sydney, which is a state away from where I am, so these issues definitely plague other states devices, and not just Queensland. However I’m still unsure whether it’s a thing people are affected by overseas.

I do like the Max better than the Xs, it’s actually fine in my hands, it’s a great phone! I’m very tired of returning these things though, so I figure I’ll just order one more and whichever one is worse, I’ll return. I foresee the side button becoming worse, since it’s already bad, so hopefully the next one IS the better one :’)
haha now I KNOW this is a joke. I suggest not giving this thread any more attention.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

What are light ridges on the back right side? Do you mean like a sharp edge? If you haven't found a "perfect" phone with non-sharp edges after all of these tries you never will. If a mushy side button is your only issue and your screen is perfect, you should just stop and accept the latest device. You have to be driving yourself mad, for your sanity you really need to stop. And I am someone who went through maybe 6 or 7 iPhone X last year. Drove me nuts. Curbed my insanity at three XS this year and am happy.

Last edited:

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
It wouldn’t be accurate changing the title, since it is the first Max. By ridges I mean a sharp edge. You guys should check out the other thread around here somewhere about the sharp edges on the Max. I finally found out I wasn’t alone, and people from around the world are having this issue.
[doublepost=1542223548][/doublepost]Also, I don’t understand why there’s so many comments with less than positive connotations regarding this. I literally have only ever been asking for people who had these phones if they wouldn’t mind posting if they had these issues with theirs or not. I only gave my back story so you’d know why I was asking and that it seemed to be a somewhat common issue lately, which I have now found that it is, through a few other threads. Funnily enough, the Max has the same issues, but since barely anyone has the smaller version, no one posted about that one.

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Ignore the negative comments. I feel you, I cannot enjoy my phone unless its 100% perfect. I feel your pain keep posting on updates.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You guys should check out the other thread around here somewhere about the sharp edges on the Max. I finally found out I wasn’t alone, and people from around the world are having this issue..

Yes, that is a documented issue with the sharp edges on the casing with the iPhone XS Max primarily, and it’s certainly a manufacturing defect where no one should have to be able to hold their phone uncomfortably with sharp edges. Fortunately, my phone did not have that, but it sounds like they were earlier-on models that were experiencing this, and hopefully that was or will be rectified.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
That’s insane to me. I’ve only had one issue since the original iPhone and owning essentially every one. A spec of dust in my iPhone 4 camera. They replaced it immediately and that was that. Why would someone buy and return a product that many times if its clearly not right for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.