Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Who has time for that. Buying and returning 18 phones.

All that stuff about a 1K plus phone should be perfect is BS.

A $70K car isn’t perfect in some cases.

A multi million dollar home can be imperfect in construction.

People that believe that price equals perfection are living a fantasy.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Fortunately, my phone did not have that, but it sounds like they were earlier-on models that were experiencing this, and hopefully that was or will be rectified.
Well, the one I have is a later device...
[doublepost=1542247577][/doublepost]
That’s insane to me. I’ve only had one issue since the original iPhone and owning essentially every one. A spec of dust in my iPhone 4 camera. They replaced it immediately and that was that. Why would someone buy and return a product that many times if its clearly not right for you?
I love the phone, it is right for me when they get it right. I don’t enjoy using android phones, and this is so far my favorite design by apple in terms of iPhone. It finally feels like it’s designed to be premium and solid.
[doublepost=1542247866][/doublepost]
Who has time for that. Buying and returning 18 phones.

All that stuff about a 1K plus phone should be perfect is BS.

A $70K car isn’t perfect in some cases.

A multi million dollar home can be imperfect in construction.

People that believe that price equals perfection are living a fantasy.
All I can say is, with apple you’re supposedly paying for precision. They hold themselves to it. Yes, in some cases they aren’t perfect, but in most cases they should be, especially due to the bragging of precision apple does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: s54 and Mac'nCheese

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I love the phone, it is right for me when they get it right. I don’t enjoy using android phones, and this is so far my favorite design by apple in terms of iPhone. It finally feels like it’s designed to be premium and solid.
All I can say is, with apple you’re supposedly paying for precision. They hold themselves to it. Yes, in some cases they aren’t perfect, but in most cases they should be, especially due to the bragging of precision apple does.

It’s a sell. What do expect a company to tell you. “ I think my product is great. I don’t know what do you think?”

No they are going to tell you it’s great with Jon Ive narration. Pontificating about the luxurious lines and steel forged by Thor.

“It’s the best iPhone ever” What else are they supposed to say.
That’s how you sell stuff.

Reactions: Elitegate

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012

Bingo!

Because God forbid OP exchanges a $1k+ phone and settle for anything less than perfect!!!!

Are you people serious?

These phones have become borderline unaffordable for the majority of prior iPhone owners and we’re going to sh** on the guy for trying out as many phones as it takes to get the one he is satisfied with?!

I would have made them open 26 iPhones until I found one that’s perfect.

You better believe that I expect a near flawless phone for that kind of money.

Just because Apple is slipping - by over committing and not delivering - doesn’t mean it’s acceptable! It doesn’t mean that we should simply lower our standards because new phones appear to exhibit more problems than older models!

And yes, even $100k vehicles come with recalls and issues from the factory, but THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS ACCEPTABLE. They need to be fixed or otherwise replaced until the issue is addressed. End of story.

Just because many people are slobs in life and can’t distinguish a perfect iPhone from one with a scuff doesn’t mean everybody else is this way.

Some people have a trained eye for this sort of stuff. You can’t simply dismiss the OP’s actions and call him crazy because he sees something that you don’t.

There are so many examples I can give, but most people (kids) on this forum are simply too narrow-minded to comprehend any such analogies.

Some people can spot paint defects on a car from a mile away. A trained eye can look at a car’s paint from a distance, in the sun, at a certain angle, and pinpoint (with precision) which body panel has been repainted, something that 99% of average folks would be completely oblivious to.

Don’t hate on somebody just because they’re more detailed-oriented than you are and can see things that you can’t. And don’t throw the term OCD around, which is simply overused nowadays (same as “retard”, etc.) and too relative in this context.

Maybe if the OP came in the store with a microscope to inspect the phones, he would truly fit an OCD. But if he’s able to discern these imperfections with his eyes, then I’m certain that I would too. Since I’m forking out over a grand on an electronic gadget, you better believe I would demand an exchange every time.

If my request for a return/exchange ever got denied due to a manufacturing defect, I would dispute the charge with my credit card. I’ve done this for 20 years and never once lost a case.

Apple has to be held accountable for ****ing up. They marketed the living **** out of “precision”. Well, if that’s the customer base they wanted to attract all along, we’re here. Give me this “precision” you speak of. Nothing short of precision will cut it anymore.

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Bingo!

Because God forbid OP exchanges a $1k+ phone and settle for anything less than perfect!!!!

Are you people serious?

These phones have become borderline unaffordable for the majority of prior iPhone owners and we’re going to sh** on the guy for trying out as many phones as it takes to get the one he is satisfied with?!

Just because Apple is slipping - by over committing and not delivering - doesn’t mean it’s acceptable! It doesn’t mean that we should simply lower our standards because new phones appear to exhibit more problems than older models!

And yes, even $100k vehicles come with recalls and issues from the factory, but THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS ACCEPTABLE. They need to be fixed or otherwise replaced until the issue is addressed. End of story.

Just because many people are slobs in life and can’t distinguish a perfect iPhone from one with a scuff doesn’t mean everybody else is this way.

Some people have a trained eye for this sort of stuff. You can’t simply dismiss the OP’s actions and call him crazy because he sees something that you don’t.

There are so many examples I can give, but most people (kids) on this forum are simply too narrow-minded to comprehend any such analogies.

Some people can spot paint defects on a car from a mile away. A trained eye can look at a car’s paint from a distance, in the sun, at a certain angle, and pinpoint (with precision) which body panel has been repainted, something that 99% of average folks would be completely oblivious to.

Don’t hate on somebody just because they’re more detailed-oriented than you are and can see things that you can’t. And don’t throw the term OCD around, which is simply overused nowadays (same as “retard”, etc.) and too relative in this context.

Maybe if the OP came in the store with a microscope to inspect the phones, he would truly fit an OCD. But if he’s able to discern these imperfections with his eyes, then I’m certain that I would too. Since I’m forking out over a grand on an electronic gadget, you better believe I would demand an exchange every time.

If my request for a return/exchange ever got denied due to a manufacturing defect, I would dispute the charge with my credit card. I’ve done this for 20 years and never once lost a case.

Apple has to be held accountable for ****ing up. They marketed the living **** out of “precision”. Well, if that’s the customer base they wanted to attract all along, we’re here. Give me this “precision” you speak of. Nothing short of precision will cut it anymore.

Well said Sir!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I doubt Apple would entertain the idea of opening 26 iPhones up for you for you to find one that’s ‘Perfect’. I mean, let’s use your example of 26 iPhones since you made that statement, and I don’t disagree that the consumer should be able to find the phone that is without the defects, but if you’re anywhere near the number 26 iPhones that needs to be returned, then it seems that Apple isn’t the manufacturer for you for a smart phone, and perhaps that customer should look elsewhere. That’s an extreme rarity that anyone would ever return 16 iPhones, let alone 26 for the fact of finding something that’s ‘Perfect’.

I will say, if Apple does allow someone to make endless returns for iPhones until they find one that’s perfect, then that is between the customer and Apple to continue that type of behavior. But at what point, does it need to be said, enough is enough?

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
I doubt Apple would entertain the idea of opening 26 iPhones up for you for you to find one that’s ‘Perfect’. I mean, let’s use your example of 26 iPhones since you made that statement, and I don’t disagree that the consumer should be able to find the phone that is without the defects, but if you’re anywhere near the number 26 iPhones that needs to be returned, then it seems that Apple isn’t the manufacturer for you for a smart phone, and perhaps that customer should look elsewhere. That’s an extreme rarity that anyone would ever return 16 iPhones, let alone 26 for the fact of finding something that’s ‘Perfect’.

I will say, if Apple does allow someone to make endless returns for iPhones until they find one that’s perfect, then that is between the customer and Apple to continue that type of behavior. But at what point, does it need to be said, enough is enough?

I don’t disagree that it’s up to either party to determine when enough is enough.

However, you have to remember that if you “train” your customer base over the years to expect flawless or near flawless phones, then don’t be surprised if those same customers hold you to a certain standard.

Not to mention that if this customer base is deeply rooted in the iOS eco system, it can be very hard to suddenly abandon ship. I know for a fact that I would have gone through at least 16 phones in order to stay with iOS, which I freaking love as an operating system.

These and other forums are flooded with issues. I’ve never seen an iPhone launch as disastrous as this year’s when it comes to overall quality of the phones, or lack thereof.

Perhaps one solution is to buy an older model iPhone that truly is perfect. Many of the older generation models were actually flawless out of the box.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Bingo!

Are you people serious?

Best response I’ve seen. Thanks for that, I appreciate it a lot. Took the words right out my mouth with the children comment :’)
[doublepost=1542337611][/doublepost]

Basically until they provide what is promised, that is pretty obvious.
[doublepost=1542337864][/doublepost]Fresh out of box, retaining plastic cover still on. Dust in camera.

Attachments

• 9CF0554B-1978-45E2-AE5B-82DAE48184BE.jpeg
    9CF0554B-1978-45E2-AE5B-82DAE48184BE.jpeg
    503.1 KB · Views: 363

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
I've suffered from severe clinical OCD my entire life and even to me that is unbelievable. The most i've ever exchanged something was twice and I take a flashlight to all my electronics weekly and inspect for little nicks and scratches. I'd seriously consider talking with a psychologist about it because it's a terrible thing to have to suffer with. Believe me. Objects aren't worth the grief!! Not even Apple ones.

Reactions: raqball

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
I've suffered from severe clinical OCD my entire life and even to me that is unbelievable. The most i've ever exchanged something was twice and I take a flashlight to all my electronics weekly and inspect for little nicks and scratches. I'd seriously consider talking with a psychologist about it because it's a terrible thing to have to suffer with. Believe me. Objects aren't worth the grief!! Not even Apple ones.
Its not about being OCD, it’s about purchasing a high priced product that will last a long time without obvious defects. I’m happy to go in and get things repaired later if need be, but the phone shouldn’t START OUT with dust in a camera, or anything else I mentioned.

Reactions: Elitegate and dL.

tridot

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2016
They’re mass produced products. Nothing is perfect. If there are actual functional issues then of course return it. But being overly nit picky is only going to drive you crazy.

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
Its not about being OCD, it’s about purchasing a high priced product that will last a long time without obvious defects. I’m happy to go in and get things repaired later if need be, but the phone shouldn’t START OUT with dust in a camera, or anything else I mentioned.

My apologies I meant no offense. I can understand what you mean. Unfortunately i've learned with some of my exchanges that mass produced products manufactured by humans and machines can never be perfect. There's so much room for error.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
My apologies I meant no offense. I can understand what you mean. Unfortunately i've learned with some of my exchanges that mass produced products manufactured by humans and machines can never be perfect. There's so much room for error.
No worries, I didn't take any offense, and like I said before, the only reason Ive ever even looked for the issues is because of how many times Ive just naturally noticed them. I understand they are mass produced, and obviously there will be flaws, of course. I am not after the most perfect device ever made in our galaxy, and I understand its assumed I'm being very very picky because it just seems like I can't get a good one. But a dust proof rated phone should be dust-free. I guess these could be just my opinion, but I also believe that the buttons on the phone should be working properly and not feel one push away from malfunction, and the phone should not be uncomfortable to hold. If people don't agree with that, I don't really mind, but thats what I feel at least.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I have exchanged a few iPhones in my time but my XS was fine first time, screen looks good, edges seem okay the design will mean you always feel the stainless edge slightly, buttons seem good, tbh I didnt play around with it under an electron microscope, I looked at it, liked it gave it a quick wipe over and popped it in a Apple silicone case (I prefer the fit and feel to leather) After that Its been great. It was my first True-Tone device but I like it, my OLED TV is calibrated warm so it seems fine, my old iPad Air 2 however now looks to blue in comparison. At some point you have to realise when millions of devices are made none are perfect and throwing the price equation into the ring to justify this many returns is meaningless.

The iPhone is a mass produced product, made in china by the millions. If it was built to order, a one off just for you then okay I would understand. No matter how much you spend you can find a defect if you look hard enough, you just need to get your device OCD under control, I used to suffer really badly with OCD and was diagnosed with it and stress made me want to do crazy things like if I had an error code on my PS4 pro due to a crash I would reinstall the whole thing taking almost a whole day, if in macOS due to a crash in the logs I would reinstall macOS from scratch wasting 7 hours getting it back where I liked it. I don't have this problem now,

I controlled this issue by learning to deal with the fact that none of these things make me happy, happiness comes from inside, buying stuff will never make me truly a happy human, and these things are just expensive tools to use that's it. If I look for fault with all the things I own I would go insane. Its a only phone use it or move on and remove the stress from your life. There are more important things than feeling the metal rim on a phone believe me...

Last edited:
Reactions: Never mind

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
^ Reference the above post:

No, Apple should not ‘ban’ the OP after five devices. I don’t think five devices is extreme to just ban the Customer, especially if they legeitmely found multiple defects with five devices. Apple wants to keep their customers, banning them for verified defects doesn’t set a good prescedent.

Also, we don’t know Apples guidelines for banning customers, and forum members on a tech site don’t make the rules either, Apple does.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I agree 100% with the OP on not settling for an imperfect phone, no matter how much bad luck you get.

I also can't believe the insulting comments some people make and the amount of likes they get. My god, I know there're threads with nitpicking people complaining about unreasonable stuff, but this is not one of those threads. Most people probably didn't even read beyond the title.

At this point I would stop defending myself if I were you, OP. This could go on forever.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008

I'm a bit on the fence. The price for these phones is remarkably high, and coupled with the marketing this is bound to create high expectations, and maybe Apple has a duty to meet these expectations.

On the other hand, although priced and advertised like it, these phones are not future heirlooms, they are just phones. In a few months, when the rumor mill for the 2019 phones gets going, the current generation will be yesterday's news. In a year they will become hand-me-downs for the kids or budget options; in three they will be so outdated that hardly anyone wants to use them, and in five they lose update support and become junk, basically.

So, I think, while I do not blame you for holding up Apple to the standards they create, I think you are not doing yourself a favor by putting so much effort into finding a flawless sample of a short-lived, mass-produced consumable.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Best response I’ve seen. Thanks for that, I appreciate it a lot. Took the words right out my mouth with the children comment :’)
[doublepost=1542337611][/doublepost]
Basically until they provide what is promised, that is pretty obvious.
[doublepost=1542337864][/doublepost]Fresh out of box, retaining plastic cover still on. Dust in camera.

You missed a spot.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
I agree 100% with the OP on not settling for an imperfect phone, no matter how much bad luck you get.

I also can't believe the insulting comments some people make and the amount of likes they get. My god, I know there're threads with nitpicking people complaining about unreasonable stuff, but this is not one of those threads. Most people probably didn't even read beyond the title.

At this point I would stop defending myself if I were you, OP. This could go on forever.
Likely they didn’t. Too much text for them to handle! :D They get off on putting people down, I’m sure. That’s why they’re here. Nothing else to do, but post standardly unhelpful and negative comments.
[doublepost=1542378284][/doublepost]
So, I think, while I do not blame you for holding up Apple to the standards they create, I think you are not doing yourself a favor by putting so much effort into finding a flawless sample of a short-lived, mass-produced consumable.
It’s an investment for a while.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

After 16 phones, you call it bad luck?

Really?

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
It’s an investment for a while.

Yes, indeed. And I sympathize with this. I used to be a bit like that with some things, like computers, and the only reason I never got close to this number of replacements may have been that I found a good one earlier. But at the risk of sounding patronizing, as I grow older (42 by now) I start to get a feeling for time slipping away, and when I think back of some hunt for perfection in a precious gadget that I have long since sold or dumped again, I cannot help but regret the waste of time and effort.

Of course, only you can judge what is worthwhile to you. But I would try to picture the situation in five years, when you have moved on to some notchless all-wireless wafer-thin foldable iPhone XV, and the once flawless Xs is battered and old and gathering dust - will you look back at all these runs to the shop and consider them time well spent?

Reactions: ilifecomputer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.