Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
DB 2 will problably be released in the last week of June .PB1 will problably be DB2.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Highly unlikely. tvOS is not even getting a true update this year.
False. tvOS is indeed being updated to tvOS 11. It is a significant update, but with few user facing features (yet). With the adoption of HEVC encoding and Tim Cook's comments that "we will see more about tvOS later this year", the consensus is we'll be getting the full picture of tvOS 11 at the September keynote alongside a 4k Apple TV. Most new features this year are going to revolve around that new hardware.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
False. tvOS is indeed being updated to tvOS 11. It is a significant update, but with few user facing features (yet). With the adoption of HEVC encoding and Tim Cook's comments that "we will see more about tvOS later this year", the consensus is we'll be getting the full picture of tvOS 11 at the September keynote alongside a 4k Apple TV. Most new features this year are going to revolve around that new hardware.
Umm how is my statement false? There is no "real" software update. Hence the reason why they went over it in 30 seconds in the keynote. Therefore, anything big won't be in beta until the Fall. Where did I say tvOS wasn't being updated at all?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I am really quite surprised with all the 1 week beta 1 guesses. That has never once happened, especially the week after WWDC. Engineers have not been in the office all week, not a single bug report has probably been looked at.

Not even the first X.x.x or X.x betas have ever only been one week.

FurbyUK

Suspended
Jul 9, 2016
Up North
I am really quite surprised with all the 1 week beta 1 guesses. That has never once happened, especially the week after WWDC. Engineers have not been in the office all week, not a single bug report has probably been looked at.

Not even the first X.x.x or X.x betas have ever only been one week.

Bug reports have been looked at, as some have been marked as duplicate.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well, the new 10.3.3 beta dropped. So Devs have been working, despite comments made earlier.
Its been over 2 week since since the last beta, instead of one week on iOS 11.

----------------------
iOS 11 won't enter weekly betas until late July (if at all). Until then it will be 2-3 weeks.

Edited to separate even more. These are two different statements...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwalls90

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Your June 13th prediction is already wrong, as only 10.3.3 beta 3 dropped. Beta 2 will be next week I think, not the week after like @Mlrollin91 seems to think it will be.
The only reason why I am standing strong on it not being next week is because of the "late June" PB. Apple launches the PB the week of the DP. It may be 2-3 days later, but its still the same week.

I don't foresee them waiting a week to after DP to drop the PB, and next week is not "late June". "Late" by Apple's standards is always, always, always the last week, if not even the last day. Apple Music, "late June" = June 30th. AirPods, "end of the year", = A week before 2017. Time and time again "Late" is literally 'as late as possible'.

I very well could be wrong, but based on Apple's own words, this is how I see it playing out. Both DP and PB week of the 26th.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
The only reason why I am standing strong on it not being next week is because of the "late June" PB. Apple launches the PB the week of the DP. It may be 2-3 days later, but its still the same week.

I believe your logic to be sound. As you said, we *could* see a beta next week. But I think it is 75% likely is that week.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Also, was last year the first year they did a PB for iOS, or was it the first year it happened so early in cycle?

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
Also, was last year the first year they did a PB for iOS, or was it the first year it happened so early in cycle?

iOS 9 was the first year they done a public beta with a new iOS from the start as they started doing iOS 8 public betas after it had already been released to the general public, 9 was released with DP3 and iOS 10 was released with DP2

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
DP 2 = June 19th
DP 3 = June 26th
PB 1 (DP 3) = June 27th

I think this is the mostly likely. DP1 is not very stable. I am having to reboot my devices at least once day

I think you are right. I don't see apple releasing PB 1 as DP2 because beta 1 is wayyyy to buggy, one of the buggiest first betas since iOS 7.

DP3 of a major new iOS release has never been released less than 4 weeks from DP1, since iOS 4, and that was still 26 days (just under 4 weeks) from DP1. Even assuming a timing comparable to iOS 4, that puts us at July 1 for DP3, which is a Saturday, and therefore isn't going to happen. It's also unlikely we'd see only 1 week inbetween DP2 (6/19) and DP3 (6/26) this early on in the beta cycle, which would be required in order for PB1 to be released shortly after DP3.

As others have said, DP2 will probably drop anytime between 6/19 - 6/26, with PB1 trailing a few days, but not after 6/28.

And before I'm attacked, I'm not claiming I know this as fact, just going by past trends and the fact Apple is going to deliver PB1 before end of June.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
DP3 of a major new iOS release has never been released less than 4 weeks from DP1, since iOS 4, and that was still 26 days (just under 4 weeks) from DP1. Even assuming a timing comparable to iOS 4, that puts us at July 1 for DP3, which is a Saturday, and therefore isn't going to happen. It's also unlikely we'd see only 1 week inbetween DP2 (6/19) and DP3 (6/26) this early on in the beta cycle, which would be required in order for PB1 to be released shortly after DP3.

As others have said, DP2 will probably drop anytime between 6/19 - 6/26, with PB1 trailing a few days, but not after 6/28.

And before I'm attacked, I'm not claiming I know this as fact, just going by past trends and the fact Apple is going to deliver PB1 before end of June.
But has a x.0 PB 1 ever been released before DP 3? I'm not sure, but if not, that's where this game leads you- there might have to be a break with the past, one way or another.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
But has a x.0 PB 1 ever been released before DP 3? I'm not sure, but if not, that's where this game leads you- there might have to be a break with the past, one way or another.

I'm pretty sure last year Developer Beta 2 became PB 1.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I'm pretty sure last year Developer Beta 2 became PB 1.
Yep, checked it out and you're right.
DP 1 = June 13th
DP 2 = July 5th
PB 1 (DP 2) = July 7th
DP 3 = 18th July
------

Nonetheless I find it odd people say things like "DP3 of a major new iOS release has never been released less than 4 weeks from DP1, since iOS 4" when we could also say a PB of a major new iOS release has never been in June. Yes, we know it will this year, because Apple told us- exactly! It's a 'rule' from previous years that they're 'breaking' - a trend from previous years that doesn't guide us this year. We're fortunate to know this one in advance. Other trends could be just as flimsy. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryankontos
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.