Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
So this is a new one. Any time that I plug in my Apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter (because I have a dumbradio), this pops up:
https://flic.kr/p/2fumy96

This second image is what happens when I attempt to upload a pic to MR:
https://flic.kr/p/2fumxPP
Yes, I mentioned earlier this happening with my Apple lightning EarPods. It seems that now anything plugged into the lightning port requires the phone to be unlocked to work.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Yes, I mentioned earlier this happening with my Apple lightning EarPods. It seems that now anything plugged into the lightning port requires the phone to be unlocked to work.

Why couldn't I remember seeing you post that when I posted mine?

For the record though, my dongle works and my radio plays fine. It's just that annoying popup happens every single time.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
No its the exact same. Just delayed a bit for public testers. For reasons like you mention or some catastrophic issue that may appear. Typically same day releases are with higher beta versions closer to release and early betas are a day or two later for public testers.

I think this is the case some times, but Public Beta 6 was different than the final release as it didn't have the things like news + and or the beats pro in it. They definitely added some things to it and as a result 12.2 public release was terrible on all my devices post beta 6. I'm on the beta 2 for 12.3 and worlds better on 10S Max. Apples software QA process isn't following Agile properly and they are skipping steps so that shows in the quality of what they release.

Confidence is waning in my household.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Can anyone compare 12.2 to 12.3 beta 2? For some reason 12.2 isn’t working that well for me and I’m tempted to join the public beta to get myself away from 12.2 as soon as possible. But I guess moving to the beta could raise more problems than it solves...

What exactly are you asking? Do you want people to feedback differences between the two? Why don’t you just read this thread?

Reactions: gwhizkids

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Update. I just randomly lost signal. So still not fixed or improved.

Where I am, cellular isn’t the best. But currently on my iPhone Xs Max, data is completely and utterly 100% unusable. If I test on the same network in the same location on my iPad Pro 2018 it’s fine.

If this isn’t resolved in the next public release I will ensure that Apple give me a full refund for my phone. This is beyond unacceptable.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
How many of us are simultaneous Android users?

I am using a Mi A2 6GB +128GB device, Android 9 patched up to March security updates. Every single app opens faster on this device than the iOS counterpart on my iPhone 8. What gives?

Reddit
Medium
OpenSignal
1Password
WhatsApp
LinkedIn

Can anyone else feel this difference?

System snappiness is on a whole other level on this Android device of mine at the moment. I love the iOS environment for the default privacy level it offers, but each time I handle my Android 9 device I am left a little peeved that stock Android 9 is so much faster (Mi A2 6GB) whereas iPhone 8 feels sluggish in comparison.

What are your thoughts about this beta speed-wise compared to stock Android 9 devices?

Do I need to perform a DFU on my device now? The last I did was in October 2018, since then, I am on incremental updates OTA.

That is going to be in the eye of the beholder for the most part. I am using a Razer as my Android device. With animations turned down, in most cases the Razer runs rings around my iPhone 8+ on 12.2. Keep in mind this is user perception and side by side comparisons. To my perception, iOS has a lot of animations, unneeded to my eye, that makes it appear / feel to be slower than Android.

YMMV

Reactions: macintoshmac

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
So this is a new one. Any time that I plug in my Apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter (because I have a dumbradio), this pops up:
https://flic.kr/p/2fumy96

This second image is what happens when I attempt to upload a pic to MR:
https://flic.kr/p/2fumxPP

That is strange. No idea. I do get the random "Accessory not supported" when my IPP is connected to the ASK and I plug it in.

Eduardo75890

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Me too,moved from beta 6 to 12.2 B1
[doublepost=1554827342][/doublepost]
Damn Intel chips!
Intel Chips are so behind :( Qualcomm were so much better
[doublepost=1554917654][/doublepost]
I'm not having this issue, but I've also been in the same location all day. I know this not only is affected by time, but also turns back on if you travel a certain distance away from where you disabled it. Maybe they lowered the distance threshold?
Wifi doesn't turn off completely it just turn off temporarily and turn back on after a while

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I am okay with having to use Face ID to unlock the use of a USB accessory.

It is a way to help protect you from intrusions and hacking attempts.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
I am absolutely not ok having to use biometrics to listen to music. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S AN APPLE-MANUFACTURED ACCESSORY.
Your position on this is perfectly reasonable.

You probably already thought of this, but just in case:

There is a setting in the security / passcode / faceID settings, a toggle to allow or not allow the use of USB accessories when the phone is locked. It might be possible that the installation of this beta changed that setting, and if you change it back you’ll get the behavior your were getting before and prefer.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Your position on this is perfectly reasonable.

You probably already thought of this, but just in case:

There is a setting in the security / passcode / faceID settings, a toggle to allow or not allow the use of USB accessories when the phone is locked. It might be possible that the installation of this beta changed that setting, and if you change it back you’ll get the behavior your were getting before and prefer.

I knew of the setting, just not exactly where it was at.

It's turned off, just like before this beta, so it's set the way I want it. This is a bug.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I am absolutely not ok having to use biometrics to listen to music. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S AN APPLE-MANUFACTURED ACCESSORY.

It's not that difficult to make a Lightning accessory identify itself as of Apple manufacture.

I'd rather have to look at the iPhone for ½ a moment, if the other choice is the risk of a security breach.

If this is an experiment by Apple to see how people react, and you and many others are reporting it as a bug, then I guess they'll have their answer soon enough.

:)

ram130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
New York
You're definitely not the only one. It's all the more noticeable because wifi connectivity is garbage in iOS 12.

I'm not having this issue, but I've also been in the same location all day. I know this not only is affected by time, but also turns back on if you travel a certain distance away from where you disabled it. Maybe they lowered the distance threshold?

Thanks. Yea. I noticed it mostly cause I’m always streaming a online radio. So when it connects to WiFi it interrupts steam. Gets annoying when you’re riding an bike in the city too. Like. I disabled my WiFi when I left home for a reason. Today I had to completely turn it off. If this is a new change. I ain’t with it.

I think it’s time. Cause I be in class all day and notice it turning on.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015

It's turned off, just like before this beta, so it's set the way I want it. This is a bug.
You need to turn it ON. The toggles are what you want to allow when the phone is locked. If you have the setting set to OFF, that means don’t allow when locked.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
You need to turn it ON. The toggles are what you want to allow when the phone is locked. If you have the setting set to OFF, that means don’t allow when locked.

Correct. Off means that my Lightning port is secure.

Which, prior to this beta, still worked fine.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Correct. Off means that my Lightning port is secure.

Which, prior to this beta, still worked fine.
I don’t think it’s a bug. I think it’s intended behavior. Apple has constantly been making their devices more secure, and limiting anything plugged into the lightning port from communicating with the iPhone unless it’s unlocked appears to be what’s happening here.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

It sure is a bug. I select a song and hit the side button to lock the screen, and the prompt comes. Does not stop the music but the prompt comes every single time since this beta. This is a bug, as @H3LL5P4WN says.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.