Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
Anyone know how to disable the Install. Beta pop up? It happens all the time now.

As mentioned already, you can’t. We have to wait for Apple to fix it, either it’s a serve side fix, or it’s one that needs an update to be pushed to us.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
As mentioned already, you can’t. We have to wait for Apple to fix it, either it’s a serve side fix, or it’s one that needs an update to be pushed to us.
Got it. Thanks. I saw that after I posted it. Sorry. Couldn’t delete my post.

Reactions: Ansath

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
I reverted to Beta 3 just in case the problem was unique to Beta 4. Beta 3 gave the same message as soon as the phone had booted. So the problem could still be baked into iOS or at the server end.
Only posting to stop other people wasting their time trying beta 3.

Reactions: brar.arsh

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I expect this will be fixed with the public release that should be sometime next week (maybe even today with Apple One).

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
I reverted to Beta 3 just in case the problem was unique to Beta 4. Beta 3 gave the same message as soon as the phone had booted. So the problem could still be baked into iOS or at the server end.
Only posting to stop other people wasting their time trying beta 3.
Hmm that indicates it's more likely server end then.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
I expect this will be fixed with the public release that should be sometime next week (maybe even today with Apple One).
There won't be a public release today, as we haven't had GM. Apple One is just purely a subscription tier, which is going to be a server side switch (I'm over simplifying, I know).

Reactions: VSMacOne

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
There won't be a public release today, as we haven't had GM. Apple One is just purely a subscription tier, which is going to be a server side switch (I'm over simplifying, I know).
There isn't always a real GM for x.Y-Updates like 14.2.
It could easily be tha case, that we have the "GM" already with beta 4 and it will be released without the beta-logging etc. enabled as Build 18B83 (same build as beta 4 witch is 18B5083a)

Happend to iOS 13.2, too for example. Back then, beta 4 was Build 17B5084a, the final release was 17B84 with no GM beeing released.

Reactions: pizzzle

gtmead09

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2016
Between the news outlets and the flood of people probably submitting feedback, I would anticipate this will at least get Apples attention today. Now fixing it today may be another question.....

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Between the news outlets and the flood of people probably submitting feedback, I would anticipate this will at least get Apples attention today. Now fixing it today may be another question.....
Yeah I saw a couple of articles in my News just now regarding this. I can't imagine they'd leave this for the entire weekend with all of the attention it's getting (wishful thinking).

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
FYI I'm still on beta 2 and it just started doing the same for me, hadn't done it at all until yesterday.
I'm convinced it's server side totally now.

Not so sure now. I pulled the SIM, went outdoors and away from wifi. Rebooted the phone and still get the message as soon as I unlocked.
It could still be server side, as basically the last time your device communicated with the server, it was told it that it should prompt to update, so if you disconnect from any wifi/cellular connection, your device still has that notification.

The way to have been able to tell, would have been a device that was not connected to cellular/wifi before being on 14.2 beta, which is not really possible now.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
There isn't always a real GM for x.Y-Updates like 14.2.
It could easily be tha case, that we have the "GM" already with beta 4 and it will be released without the beta-logging etc. enabled as Build 18B83 (same build as beta 4 witch is 18B5083a)

Happend to iOS 13.2, too for example. Back then, beta 4 was Build 17B5084a, the final release was 17B84 with no GM beeing released.
True, so might just get public release the week after next.

I am going with 14.2 going with a GM, as 14.1 had one, which was most likely due to it going on the iPhone 12 & 12 Pro. Assuming that the 12 Pro Max & Mini are going to come with 14.2 on them, then we would see a GM come out for other devices on that basis.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I would have assumed if it was server side they'd simply turn it off. They can't even get iCloud notifications to work this efficiently :)

MY assumption is that there's a date coded into iOS 14 after which these pop-ups occur. So can't be fixed server side. If it was server side, surely they'd stop in airplane mode, which they don't?

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
I would have assumed if it was server side they'd simply turn it off. They can't even get iCloud notifications to work this efficiently :)

MY assumption is that there's a date coded into iOS 14 after which these pop-ups occur. So can't be fixed server side. If it was server side, surely they'd stop in airplane mode, which they don't?

Exactly this, it'll be a hard coded date in the version of iOS. Based on when it started happening for me, that date is 12.01am on 30 Oct. Anybody tried setting their clock back a week? (This will cause other chaos I'm sure)

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The GM is not a must-have. 14.2 on a Friday does seem like a stretch though :).

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Exactly this, it'll be a hard coded date in the version of iOS. Based on when it started happening for me, that date is 12.01am on 30 Oct. Anybody tried setting their clock back a week? (This will cause other chaos I'm sure)
Yep, reddit thread says changing the date to 28th Oct fixes the problem. And breaks loads of other stuff (as expected).

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018

It's happening with Beta 2 & 3 as well, which leans more to server side.

No, they wouldn't stop in Airplane mode, as once your device has been told the version you are running needs updating, the flag is set. Just like you get the badge on Settings remain there on for Software Update.

The GM is not a must-have. 14.2 on a Friday does seem like a stretch though :).
Apple One available without an iOS update.....

Attachments

• ElldUKfU0AIzL2F.jpeg
    ElldUKfU0AIzL2F.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 131
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.