Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Here are some buggers ..

Pain in the butt - getting infrequent random Safari pages open in light when I have set to dark. A refresh fixes. Old bug.

Get an email from Twitter to check out latest items. Click on link in email - opens Twitter in Safari. App is installed.
The Safari page has the Twitter app link at top. If I click on it, screen flashes and takes me right back to the Safari page. Won’t open the app.
Same issue with Reddit.
B4EB5CE1-7BD2-4366-B7B5-363E328A26CE.jpeg

Pearsey

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Hmm go take a look at the 15.4 thread. Discussed at length there but some prefer full install over OTA and swear by it working better than an OTA update.

Myself and a few others on here, are currently testing something out for Craig F on this exact subject, as I’ve been reassured both methods are identical to each other:

“When you OTA, the patching process results in a binary-identical OS volume to the one installed via ISPW — the system uses a “cryptographic seal” that actually ensures that the system won’t even boot if there’s any difference” - Craig F

Yet, we are seeing different results on devices straight after using the OTA and IPSW update methods.

Will hopefully be able to put this debate to bed soon, once Craig sees are findings. Will post back on the most current iOS forum when we know 👍🏼.

Last edited:

Lincoln84

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2020
Safari is now sometimes completely broken on my 11 pro, not loading any webpages. Other apps work fine and my network connection is good while this bs happens. Everything worked fine in 15.4. What the hell is apple doing with it’s software. Ios15 is the worst iOS version of all time. Anybody else having same problems?
cebeafed3a164f0312b49f39b6856f8d.jpg

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Safari is now sometimes completely broken on my 11 pro, not loading any webpages. Other apps work fine and my network connection is good while this bs happens. Everything worked fine in 15.4. What the hell is apple doing with it’s software. Ios15 is the worst iOS version of all time. Anybody else having same problems?
cebeafed3a164f0312b49f39b6856f8d.jpg
Looks like a network issue, reset network settings.

Reactions: Pearsey

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I had this from time to time on 15.4, get used to it thinking that’s WiFi problem however it was stable.

Loading page stayed forever unless you refreshed the page / sent search again

Not yet had this on 15.4.1

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Myself and a few others on here, are currently testing something out for Craig F on this exact subject, as I’ve been reassured both methods are identical to each other:

“When you OTA, the patching process results in a binary-identical OS volume to the one installed via ISPW — the system uses a “cryptographic seal” that actually ensures that the system won’t even boot if there’s any difference” - Craig F

Yet, we are seeing different results on devices straight after using the OTA and IPSW update methods.

Will hopefully be able to put this debate to bed soon, once Craig sees are findings. Will post back on the most current iOS forum when we know ??.
I believe the binary will be identical since their checksum must match in order to get “success” process result (as part of integrity check in update process). The interesting part is to look difference between these 2 processes:
1) Update (OTA or ipsw) only where system parameters and config files will remain intact, use the existing ones
2) “Restore” where system and user’s data are wiped, followed by updating iOS binary (through ipsw) and followed by user’s data restore from backup

Process (1) - OTA or via ipsw file - will end up with the same results. Specific for process (1) via OTA, this is the fastest (and simplest) one.
The hypothesis is process (2) will give cleaner and more stable result than (1) due to all the configs and parameters will be recreated or restored from backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

Lincoln84

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2020
I had this from time to time on 15.4, get used to it thinking that’s WiFi problem however it was stable.

Loading page stayed forever unless you refreshed the page / sent search again

Not yet had this on 15.4.1

Turning off iCloud relay solved the problem now. At first I also thought that the issue was my wifi, but all my other devices are running fine and also all the app-s except safari had no issues.

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Thank GOD. The battery on my 11 Pro and wife's 12 Pro Max has been AWFUL since updating to 15.4.
Same here with my SE2020. Had to charge 2-3 times a day On 15.4. With 15.3.1 I only charged ones a day.

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2021
Swiping right on home page, to go to the widget page, didnt work for a few minutes. At first I guessed its the touch screen that has issues. I restarted the phone, no effect. It was like that page was an option and i unticked it. I think to myself.. Let me screen record this and post it on this forum. Press recording, swipe right and guess what. Is working fine again ? maybe my 13p is scared of this forum ?

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Siri! I'm having a heart attack!

OK. Playing Heart Attack by Demi Lovato.
Can’t beat a freshly cooked piping hot stuffed jam doughnut dripping down your chiny chin chin. 😁🤤

Carbs, sugar, deep fired heaven. 🕺

Also can’t beat this awesome battery life, battery is moving slower than the snail I saw in my backyard this arvo. 👌

Pearsey

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
This bloke ? reckons we’re all trippin, no difference between the 2 apparently. ?

It’s first stages so I don’t think it’s properly on his radar what’s happening yet or maybe it is. There isn’t a difference between the two in a binary sense, he’s saying, but what we are seeing a difference in, is the end result, which we shouldn’t with an OTA or IPSW update.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It’s first stages so I don’t think it’s properly on his radar what’s happening yet or maybe it is. There isn’t a difference between the two in a binary sense, he’s saying, but what we are seeing a difference in, is the end result, which we shouldn’t with an OTA or IPSW update.
This ☝️ What happens if both of his methods don’t work? ?

Reboot 3 times? ?

That’s a lot of rebooting. ??

drak22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
those of you who have the Watch and have updated to WatchOS 8.5.1, has the indicator of the time at which you removed the watch from charging also disappeared? This section on the clock already seems like a joke because of how useless it is, not only that they don't add information there, but they also remove the little that it has :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.