Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I hope to see a fix finally for the touch registration issue. It is one of those issues that only some people are experiencing.
Have you considered getting your screen replaced or a replacement phone?

Seems like you’ve had this issue for a while now. ?

Could be a hardware fault.

Remember, it could be worse. Exynos 2200. ??

1648810433154.jpeg

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
those of you who have the Watch and have updated to WatchOS 8.5.1, has the indicator of the time at which you removed the watch from charging also disappeared? This section on the clock already seems like a joke because of how useless it is, not only that they don't add information there, but they also remove the little that it has :rolleyes:
AW7 8.5.1 WiFi - it’s shows time for me when last time I charged in Settings > Battery just under the battery level graph.

I suggest making a thread in Apple Watch as this is mostly about iOS

Reactions: drak22

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Anyone else still having iMessage issues on 15.4 or later? I updated yesterday to 15.4.1 and it seemed to be better. However, I’m getting the same activation error for iMessage and FaceTime this morning. I’m beginning to think that it’s related to my older iPad air two as the messages are shared between the two devices

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Have you considered getting your screen replaced or a replacement phone?

Seems like you’ve had this issue for a while now. ?

Could be a hardware fault.

Remember, it could be worse. Exynos 2200. ??

View attachment 1984670
I have already had Apple run a hardware diagnostic on my phone. It is a iOS issue that not all people are experiencing. Besides, I swap it out and do the display lottery.

Reactions: LFC2020

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
The only thing I am plagued with in CarPlay is when I connect to wired CarPlay, Music will put a random song in Now Playing in Control Center. The only fix is to delete and reinstall the Music app. Unfortunately, reinstalling the Music app cause the System Data to go from about 6 GB to about 25 GB or more. The only way to gain back the System Data storage is to do a Recovery Mode Restore, restore from backup and that will bring the System Data down below 6 GB again.
Holy hell, I’ll never complain about CarPlay again.

That being said, my issues seem to have been fixed, and now, finally, my radio will automatically stop playing corporate terrestrial radio a few seconds after I start my Jeep when my phone’s plugged in.

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I have been having some issues since 15.4 on my end. Most of the time, the airpods just don't always connect, or briefly disconnect and reconnect. I will have to see later what 15.4.1 does on my end, lol. I will relay back.
@sorgo Hey bud,

After a long update process(Had to restore as new, then use icloud backup), I am actually not having any noticeable issues with my airpods pro on apple music. I have only listened for maybe 20 minutes but took a phone call over them without issues either.

Maybe you can re-pair them to your phone. Not sure if this helps but I have a 12 Pro.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have encountered a new bug in iOS 15.4 and also happens in iOS 15.4.1, when I am doing a Recovery Mode Restore and then restore from encrypted backup from my Mac computer. The issue is that iOS gets stuck on the Enter Passcode screen and won’t proceed any further no matter how long I wait.

Steps:
  1. Connect iPhone to Mac computer using wired Lightning connection.
  2. Do an encrypted backup from macOS Finder of my iPhone.
  3. Restart iPhone in Recovery Mode and select Restore from macOS Finder.
  4. Once Restore mode completes and my iPhone restarts, select restore from encrypted backup on my Mac computer.
  5. Restore of encrypted backup completes and my iPhone restarts.
  6. I go through the steps after the restart such as setup Face ID, login to my Apple ID, etc.
  7. This is where the problem happens, I see the Location Services screen briefly displayed where it asks if I want to enable Location Services. I am not given the chance to select anything on that screen because immediately after showing me the Location Services screen, I see the Enter My Passcode screen. I enter my passcode and it shows a spinning progress wheel in the upper right hand corner. It never goes any further than that screen.
What is happening is the Location Services screen is still waiting on me to make a selection, but I can’t because the Enter Passcode screen is blocking the Location Services screen and hence I am stuck at the Enter Passcode screen. The only way to resolve this is for me to force a restart of my iPhone. Once I do that, it shows me the Restore Complete screen and I am able to have access to my iPhone normally.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
And there is a another bug I seem to have encountered in iOS 15.4 that also is happening is iOS 15.4.1. If I do a restore fro encrypted backup, in Control Center the Home Controls only shows some of the controls. In order to correct this, I have to open Settings->Control Center and toggle Show Home Controls 3 times and then all the Home Controls will be displayed.

• Sad

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
It’s first stages so I don’t think it’s properly on his radar what’s happening yet or maybe it is. There isn’t a difference between the two in a binary sense, he’s saying, but what we are seeing a difference in, is the end result, which we shouldn’t with an OTA or IPSW update.
The only way to be absolutely sure there is or isn’t a diff between the two methods is to setup two similar iPhone models the exact same way with one updated via OTA and the other using the IPSW. Till then the results won’t mean anything.

Reactions: sorgo †

doctorjo5

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
I have the developer profile on my device and 15.4.1 isn't showing up for me. It's also not showing up in storage. The watch update also isn't showing up. I've restarted both devices. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks!

jpsmith76

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Huntsville, AL USA
Anyone else still having iMessage issues on 15.4 or later? I updated yesterday to 15.4.1 and it seemed to be better. However, I’m getting the same activation error for iMessage and FaceTime this morning. I’m beginning to think that it’s related to my older iPad air two as the messages are shared between the two devices
I have been having the iMessage activation issue for 2 months now. Apple support has escalated it to engineering but haven't heard back yet. When I opened the case, 15.3 was the public version, so they had me restore back to that, and the issue remained, so I am still thinking it is something to do with my AppleID.

That being said, sometimes it will activate for a day or so, then not work again for a few days. Cannot narrow down timing or rhyme or reason to when it will activate or not.

Reactions: AE14

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I have encountered a new bug in iOS 15.4 and also happens in iOS 15.4.1, when I am doing a Recovery Mode Restore and then restore from encrypted backup from my Mac computer. The issue is that iOS gets stuck on the Enter Passcode screen and won’t proceed any further no matter how long I wait.

Steps:
  1. Connect iPhone to Mac computer using wired Lightning connection.
  2. Do an encrypted backup from macOS Finder of my iPhone.
  3. Restart iPhone in Recovery Mode and select Restore from macOS Finder.
  4. Once Restore mode completes and my iPhone restarts, select restore from encrypted backup on my Mac computer.
  5. Restore of encrypted backup completes and my iPhone restarts.
  6. I go through the steps after the restart such as setup Face ID, login to my Apple ID, etc.
  7. This is where the problem happens, I see the Location Services screen briefly displayed where it asks if I want to enable Location Services. I am not given the chance to select anything on that screen because immediately after showing me the Location Services screen, I see the Enter My Passcode screen. I enter my passcode and it shows a spinning progress wheel in the upper right hand corner. It never goes any further than that screen.
What is happening is the Location Services screen is still waiting or me to make a selection, but I can’t because the Enter Passcode screen is blocking the Location Services screen and hence I am stuck at the Enter Passcode screen. The only way to resolve this is for me to force a restart of my iPhone. Once I do that, it shows me the Restore Complete screen and I am able to have access to my iPhone normally.
I found a similar issue but this was also there from 15.4 as well.

If I tried to update using itunes, it won't work, it will ask for my unlock code, then give error 4000. Last night I tried doing an update in recovery mode, at which point, it seemed to work but then when the phone rebooted, it got stuck at the apple logo. Not sure what happened but glad I have icloud backups, haha.

• Sad

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I have been having the iMessage activation issue for 2 months now. Apple support has escalated it to engineering but haven't heard back yet. When I opened the case, 15.3 was the public version, so they had me restore back to that, and the issue remained, so I am still thinking it is something to do with my AppleID.

That being said, sometimes it will activate for a day or so, then not work again for a few days. Cannot narrow down timing or rhyme or reason to when it will activate or not.
Right now The texts are even more temperamental. Can’t text my wife at all

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

ManuCH

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
The only way to be absolutely sure there is or isn’t a diff between the two methods is to setup two similar iPhone models the exact same way with one updated via OTA and the other using the IPSW. Till then the results won’t mean anything.

On top of that, whoever tests it must not be aware of which is which. Just like in medical studies: double blind placebo trial. Otherwise people will always be biased towards one or another way of updating.

cigz

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2016
I feel like they changed something regarding ProMotion (on iPhones). I've got my 13PM on monday and it came with 15.3 but i immediately updated to 15.4 and i was amazed, i've never seen an iPhone being so smooth before but now with 15.4.1 it feels slower... It's not choppy by any means but it literally feels like it's always 60hz or 90hz max. I even turned on my 12 Pro with iOS 14.7 to compare and there's not much of a difference and when i limited refresh rate to 60hz, the animations on 13PM feel slighly worse than on my 12 Pro.
This is literally the first time i'm considering downgrading. I can live with worse battery life if it means the screen hits 120hz more often.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I feel like they changed something regarding ProMotion (on iPhones). I've got my 13PM on monday and it came with 15.3 but i immediately updated to 15.4 and i was amazed, i've never seen an iPhone being so smooth before but now with 15.4.1 it feels slower... It's not choppy by any means but it literally feels like it's always 60hz or 90hz max. I even turned on my 12 Pro with iOS 14.7 to compare and there's not much of a difference and when i limited refresh rate to 60hz, the animations on 13PM feel slighly worse than on my 12 Pro.
This is literally the first time i'm considering downgrading. I can live with worse battery life if it means the screen hits 120hz more often.
Maybe this is the “fix” on battery drains in 15.4.1. But, mine didn’t notice visible difference with 15.4 (iPP M1 and iPhone 11), except (slightly) better battery drains when in use.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Siri has always been a spaz. 😆

All your update worries are forgotten when there is hot jam doughnuts & cannolis. 😊😉

View attachment 1984493

View attachment 1984494

Spaz… 🤣

So perfect. I’d be all over those treats. I’m lucky to be blessed with a high metabolism pretty late in life otherwise I’d likely weigh about three times my current weight. 🤤

@sorgo Hey bud,

After a long update process(Had to restore as new, then use icloud backup), I am actually not having any noticeable issues with my airpods pro on apple music. I have only listened for maybe 20 minutes but took a phone call over them without issues either.

Maybe you can re-pair them to your phone. Not sure if this helps but I have a 12 Pro.

My APP have been flawless on both 15.4 and this version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.