Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Domadia_Jasmine

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2017
I'm having the same issue. At one time this workaround worked - but no longer. I tried updating using iMazing, and that also failed, so I think the issue is not iTunes.

I gave up and am using OTA update, too. No problems there.

I was facing error 4000, long time ago, I remember after turning off passcode in my iPhone I was able to restore through iTune

Reactions: sorgo †

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have encountered a new bug in iOS 15.4 and also happens in iOS 15.4.1, when I am doing a Recovery Mode Restore and then restore from encrypted backup from my Mac computer. The issue is that iOS gets stuck on the Enter Passcode screen and won’t proceed any further no matter how long I wait.

Steps:
  1. Connect iPhone to Mac computer using wired Lightning connection.
  2. Do an encrypted backup from macOS Finder of my iPhone.
  3. Restart iPhone in Recovery Mode and select Restore from macOS Finder.
  4. Once Restore mode completes and my iPhone restarts, select restore from encrypted backup on my Mac computer.
  5. Restore of encrypted backup completes and my iPhone restarts.
  6. I go through the steps after the restart such as setup Face ID, login to my Apple ID, etc.
  7. This is where the problem happens, I see the Location Services screen briefly displayed where it asks if I want to enable Location Services. I am not given the chance to select anything on that screen because immediately after showing me the Location Services screen, I see the Enter My Passcode screen. I enter my passcode and it shows a spinning progress wheel in the upper right hand corner. It never goes any further than that screen.
What is happening is the Location Services screen is still waiting on me to make a selection, but I can’t because the Enter Passcode screen is blocking the Location Services screen and hence I am stuck at the Enter Passcode screen. The only way to resolve this is for me to force a restart of my iPhone. Once I do that, it shows me the Restore Complete screen and I am able to have access to my iPhone normally.
I ended up sending an e-mail to Apple regarding this lockup issue and within in 2 hours someone called me from Apple. They wanted me to reproduce the issue and record a video showing them the issue as well as generate the sysdiagnose files. It took me 3 hours and 5 attempts at doing a Recovery Mode Restore followed by a restore from encrypted backup before I was able to reproduce and capture the issue. Sent the video and sysdiagnose files to Apple.

Last edited:

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
files. It took me 3 hours and 5 attempts at doing a Recovery Mode Restore followed by a restore from encrypted backup before I was able to reproduce and capture the issue. Sent the video and sysdiagnose files to Apple.
3 hours. ? Fair effort on your behalf.

Hopefully they’re sending you a free iPhone in the mail for your troubles lol.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Instead of fixing my battery, this BS has returned. Lost 12% in 6 hours of sleep with Find My and Home randomly popping up throughout the night.

My phone was on airplane mode with location services completely off and I don’t use any location based home features either

Attachments

• 237E4E08-F853-4B88-B699-87A0C529D07B.jpeg
    237E4E08-F853-4B88-B699-87A0C529D07B.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 138

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Instead of fixing my battery, this BS has returned. Lost 12% in 6 hours of sleep with Find My and Home randomly popping up throughout the night.

My phone was on airplane mode with location services completely off and I don’t use any location based home features either
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Apple are using your battery to fix other people's battery drain. Thank you for your service.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
With the previous beta releases I did have to toggle off Safari under iCloud settings and then back on again. That fixed iCloud tabs for me, still working properly with this current release.

Not working for me on any of my devices. Hasn’t for the last couple of point releases. Toggled on and off, did the usual bits but nothing.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Maybe try doing a Recovery Mode Restore and restore from encrypted backup.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Not working for me on any of my devices. Hasn’t for the last couple of point releases. Toggled on and off, did the usual bits but nothing.
It seems Safari features vary quite a bit between iCloud accounts. Tabs and bookmarks are working for me but Frequent Sites disappeared early in iOS 15 and haven’t been seen since on any device. I’ve had some others respond to me that Frequent Sites are working for them. Those I can do without, tabs and bookmarks are very important to me. Too bad you can’t have all the features working.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
After reading of the update I kept trying " Update Software " on my phone. The screen kept saying that the software was up to date although the about screen showed an older build number. I plugged the phone into my MacBook Air and it immediately offered to download and install the latest version. Download is 6.42GB !

cigz

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2016
So i downgraded to 15.4 because i felt like promotion didn't feel as good as on 15.4.1 and damn.. for a moment i thought that might be a placebo but well i don't think so. On 15.4 everything feel smoother and faster, it feels like it's hitting 120hz more often. On 15.4.1 it felt more like 60-90, there wasn't much difference between my 13PM and 12P. And my eyes didn't get used to faster refresh rate since i upgraded to 13PM on wednesday so i can clearly tell and feel the difference between these 2.
The only annoying thing is that there are some random stutters when i open or close apps, it's not all the time so i can live with that.

Spline

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah same. 👍🏼
It's endemic. I've been getting update fails from iTunes Windows for years, starting with Error 1602 and then 4000. Have disabled passcode and screen sleep: with more recent versions of iTunes Win it's hit or miss whether even that works. So the posts about how Craig F. will probably get right on this really brought a laugh into my day

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020

Not seeing any overnight ? drain on my iPhone & iPad. Rock solid like the mighty reds last night.

1648922952218.jpeg

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Strange how some users are experiencing severe standby battery drain.

Background app refresh, iCloud, location services, wifi settings maybe? ?
It is really hard to say. It could be time consuming to figure out. Of course, I did setup my 13 Pro Max as a new device to resolve the Safari marking text issue.

When I decide to install iOS 16, I am probably going to do a clean install on my phone. It really isn’t that bad to do a clean install. Kind of nice doing some house cleaning on my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.