Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
So far so good.

B158EA26-1FEC-4996-8C14-96688DF80438.jpeg

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Curious how it affects battery life. It looks like it darkens the colors to make them stand out.
I’d guess quite little—all the settings I mentioned enabling theoretically should have a negligible and/or potentially positive (especially reduce motion/reduce transparency) effect on battery life.

In particular, I would assume a net-neutral effect with increase contrast enabled since darker tones approaching black tend to draw less power on OLED displays while lighter tones toward white are better for devices with LCD, and ‘contrast’ would suggest more pronounced differences between the two.

And since the UI elements (other than the darkness of app backgrounds or unusually-gigantic iMessage bubbles) the setting affects tend to be really quite small, I would think the battery drain would be pretty neutral overall, perhaps even positive since I prefer dark mode (which often can be made darker with increased contrast) and use OLED…at least on the more expensive device I use most with the battery about which I am more concerned, my iPhone.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
What I have noticed about the Safari text marking issue is it does not happen if I am on the last page of the thread.

If I am on any other page of the thread the text marking goes whacked out.

In other words, I find a post that I want to reply to that is on any other page of the thread other then the last page and the text marking does not work correctly for me.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
What I have noticed about the Safari text marking issue is it does not happen if I am on the last page of the thread.

If I am on any other page of the thread the text marking goes whacked out.

In other words, I find a post that I want to reply to that is on any other page of the thread other then the last page and the text marking does not work correctly for me.
Working fine for me on other pages. ?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Give it a bit of time, I hope your eyes can get something out of it — even if you switch back!!
What if time isn’t on my side? 🤔😂

Look, I’m liking it and not liking it lol.

Some of the grey & blue colors are already @$&&@ me off. 😂

I’ll stick with it though.

• Haha
Reactions: sorgo †

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
What if time isn’t on my side? 🤔😂

Look, I’m liking it and not liking it lol.

Some of the grey & blue colors are already @$&&@ me off. 😂

I’ll stick with it though.
Hopefully it becomes more natural for you, but again, it’s understandable if not. We all have our preferences and some Apple purists may not want to “mess with” the designers’ vision.

By the by, there’s one last setting, under Motion, I forgot to mention: Prefer Cross-Fade Transitions 🙌 Pairs perfectly with the smooth, subtle, not-jarring-or-motion-sickness-inducing fade of Reduce Motion 😍

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Apple purists may not want to “mess with” the designers’ vision.
Shame, they haven’t been designing anything for a while now, when it comes to iOS. 🙄

By the by, there’s one last setting, under Motion, I forgot to mention: Prefer Cross-Fade Transitions 🙌 Pairs perfectly with the smooth, subtle, not-jarring-or-motion-sickness-inducing fade of Reduce Motion 😍

I see what you mean, definitely smoother on the eyes, think I’ll stick with stock settings for now.

Thanks for tip.

• Love

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
That number 5?

If you can be bothered go for it, next beta can’t be that far off, might be worth waiting for it, Instead of putting yourself through another 3 hour restore.
This would be my second clean install, not restoring from backup.

Reactions: LFC2020
For whom it may help, I’ve found that Safari seems—ahem—snappier and seems to chew through less battery after breaking my years-long use of AdGuard Pro and switching to Wipr which apparently is better optimized and just feels much lighter. Granted blocking may not be as thorough as that to which I was accustomed but so far the trade-off seems quite worth it.

Also, while Adguard filters update seemingly many times a day, Wipr’s only get updated twice a week—meaning I am finally rid of the AdGuard icon on my home screen and the unhealthy habit of compulsively checking for filter updates.

P.S. Reduce motion/reduce transparency/increase contrast/bold text/button shapes/on-off labels FTW :)
Question 🙋🏻‍♀️: What does increase contrast do?

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.