Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

WildstarBR2020

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2020
Yep. Here’s the description from the iOS 18 features web page

e5b21ffdeae078cb3fc9a49866cf1332.jpg
But this is transcripting for live calls. Transcription happened when they were depositing the voice mail.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Can’t post a picture for some reason but in the Weather app there’s now an adjustable timeline slider to see the phases of the moon. Is that new?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
But this is transcripting for live calls. Transcription happened when they were depositing the voice mail.

That was an iOS 17 feature.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
If I want a soft landing onto public 18.1, do I:

1) wait for a dev 18.1 RC then flip to ‘off’
2) switch to public beta and then download the RC eventually there
2) flip beta off now and the first public release will update

Apologies me if this is already been discussed, but I’ve got a call and when it was directed to voice mail, the iPhone transcribed me the voice mail being posted. Pretty neat.

Would appear I’m dead in the water and only option would be to visit an Apple Store to see if they’d swap the device out.

Unless someone here has a set of steps which work.
Try iTunes. Apparently the Apple Device app is crap. I have seen nothing but horrible reviews and I tried it once for something and it was a fail (whatever I was doing). Back to iTunes on Win 11 machine.
You need to downgrade the phone or have your wife get on the beta. Those are the options.
Wait the wifes backup was on 18 so her backup should go to the 18.1 device. (If I read this right)

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Quick question.
I'm giving my 15PM to my wife now that I have my 16PM.
The 15 has 18.1b4 on it and my wife's current phone has 18. Her account is not signed up for the beta updates.
How would I go about using her current backup of 18? Will the 15PM with 18.1 allow her to use the phone with a non beta account?
Do I have to downgrade the 15PM to 18?
You should be able to restore her 18 backup to the 18.1 device without upgrading to the beta since it is an older version backup.

abentin

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2017
One more extremely strange thing to add to the list:

- typing the letter “S” (as in Settings or Safari) into Spotlight Search causes the interface to crash and reload, every single time, and the only way to launch an app that starts with S is to type the middle of the word, after that letter.

I don’t even know how much of this I should file feedback on, because it just seems like a combination of beta/iCloud backup weirdness? But I also don’t know what to do about it, since I already erased my old iPhone, though I still have it, and I really don’t want to factory reset again.
I am having the same issue with the "S" in search in iOS18, just the regular release, not beta

• Wow
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

mmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sydney
Is call transcribe while recording a call suppose to work in 18.1 PB1? Using it on a 15Pro Max.

I recorded a conference call with 3 people with mixed language like half English and half in another language. I only got the call saved in notes. No transcript.

Second call I recorded was a 1-1. Mostly not in English.

Should the calls be in English entirely for it to be transcribed?

Live voicemail transcriptions works ok.

bholaladka

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Additionally, my Siri does not illuminate the borders as depicted in the advertisements; instead, it merely emits a ding sound. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Pearsey

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Additionally, my Siri does not illuminate the borders as depicted in the advertisements; instead, it merely emits a ding sound. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Nope. I would try these before reinstalling the beta:

• Hard restart
• Turn Apple Intelligence off and on again
• Turn Siri off and on again

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Nope. I would try these before reinstalling the beta:

• Hard restart
• Turn Apple Intelligence off and on again
• Turn Siri off and on again

Also is the phone in question an iPhone 16 model or 15 pro model?

Krishspine

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020

I have the same problem with my iPhone 15PM updated to iOS18.1DB. I get the ding sound with Siri activation but no border animated illumination. However it works very well on my iPad Pro 6th gen, Siri is actually perfect on it. Don’t understand why it should work on IPP and not iPhone, both have identical setup in Settings. I tried Pearsey’s advice to hard reset, AI on/off, Siri on/off on the iPhone but no border lights on it. Does that mean the bug is in iOS and not in iPadOS?

cigz

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2016
Did they get rid of frequently visited sites from Safari's homepage or that's a bug on my phone? I am using it all the time and it's gone after updating to 18.1 beta.
I'm asking because it's still there for me in Safari 18 on MacOS.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Apple Account and iPad / iPhone 18.1 beta 4

I had some intense drama, once I tried to restore an iCloud backup to my iPhone 16 Pro.. Apple Account would not login. I could login to the App Store on both an iPad and iPhone, but Apple Account was impossible to get into - 2FA seems to be the issue, the pushed codes to my Mac (also running latest dev beta) never worked. The Mac used texting for 2FA and remains working

In the end, after hours of troubleshooting on my own and with high-level Apple techs (three of them) - I decided to go back to iOS 18.0. After a long strange pause while logging in, that fixed it. I've searched high and low and I'm not sure anyone else on this planet had the same issue!

I'll stay away until a bit later, and let you guys play with the newer AI developments, for a while.. the many many hours spent figuring out how to get back to my Apple Account on the phone and tablet.. umm.. I can't afford to do again!

Throwing this out there, just in case it comes up with anyone else =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.