Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
That’s not bad actually. Wish mine was as good as yours

It’s not bad I guess but not amazing. Pro Max devices should do better!

Yeah me too, but I guess now I have to wait for about 3-5 days until everything settles down with my new install of iOS 18.

Yep! Not expecting tomorrow’s release to be a new build but you never know.

It's not bad at all.. my old “daddy” pulls up to 7 hours on this RC version.. you can suffer.. and tomorrow we'll see if the final version will be the same build as RC
Time is up 😀

Time is well and truly up 😅 not expecting a new build tomorrow.. will have to put up with how it is. Could be worse! 😁

Tomas1988

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2022
Lithuania
It’s not bad I guess but not amazing. Pro Max devices should do better!

Yep! Not expecting tomorrow’s release to be a new build but you never know.

Time is well and truly up 😅 not expecting a new build tomorrow.. will have to put up with how it is. Could be worse! 😁
Aw big Yes , you are absolutely right.. It really could be worse 😅 And how many more users would be dissatisfied after tomorrow's update 🙃😁

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I have to say I've never ever complained about battery life ever, but on the 18 betas it truly is horrific. It drains like machine gunned alcoholic.

For the first time in years and years, my iphone 12 pro died and needed recharging. Abd everyday it hits red with normal use by night time. This has never happened before.

Sure hope the final release sorts it out.

Reactions: James6s

DeadKlau5

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 18 RC
Web= Twitter(X)
e25b2b83e0fc64269d52cd04b83bba6a.png

Reactions: Tomas1988

The.Outsider

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
well, my iPhone 12 mini has gone from bad to worse in battery. I don't know if it's indexing something in the background and that's why it drains so fast, and it may improve I don't know, all I know is, I'm now charging the phone nearly 3 times a day and my battery health is 76% that dropped massively from 84% from the last two updates. I honestly can't figure out what is going on with these devices anymore. My iPhone 8 with 64% battery health holds better... older system. Makes no sense. I'm really in dire need of a new upgrade but at this point, I'm honestly not sure about the 16 pro either. But i guess anything is better than what I have at this point. My Mini 12 is the one banned in some countries due to radiation leak or whatever. So I do need an update also got tired of the small screen

• Wow
Reactions: Carlsberg69

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
well, my iPhone 12 mini has gone from bad to worse in battery. I don't know if it's indexing something in the background and that's why it drains so fast, and it may improve I don't know, all I know is, I'm now charging the phone nearly 3 times a day and my battery health is 76% that dropped massively from 84% from the last two updates. I honestly can't figure out what is going on with these devices anymore. My iPhone 8 with 64% battery health holds better... older system. Makes no sense. I'm really in dire need of a new upgrade but at this point, I'm honestly not sure about the 16 pro either. But i guess anything is better than what I have at this point. My Mini 12 is the one banned in some countries due to radiation leak or whatever. So I do need an update also got tired of the small screen
What version did you upgrade from?

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I noticed that Photos went through a full re-index/analysis after upgrading to iOS 18.

So yeah, battery would take a hit - in addition to what you normally experience with a full version upgrade.

#expected

The.Outsider

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
I noticed that Photos went through a full re-index/analysis after upgrading to iOS 18.

So yeah, battery would take a hit - in addition to what you normally experience with a full version upgrade.

#expected
Sounds plausible, sort of expected that but now I feel it's draining extremely fast. I ought to do an entire clean wipe of this phone and start again but gods that's rought

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Sounds plausible, sort of expected that but now I feel it's draining extremely fast. I ought to do an entire clean wipe of this phone and start again but gods that's rought
If you do a clean wipe, restore a backup it might be a case that you still will have maintenance work that has to be done so don't see that it would make much of a difference.
What I normally do is to update the device in the evening and keep it in the charger for the night. If there would be any maintanance or background work done its done while I'm asleep.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
I have already noticed it sometime before, and I wrote it out loud here, its true that iOS 18 works much better on old phones than any iPhone 15 series phone..mysticism
Works great on my base 15 actually. I think it is the 15 Pros with the 3nm processor that have some issues. Hopefully the 16 and 16 Pros with the move to the second gen 3nm fix whatever is going on since Apple says the 16 Pro Max is the best battery ever.

The.Outsider

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
If you do a clean wipe, restore a backup it might be a case that you still will have maintenance work that has to be done so don't see that it would make much of a difference.
What I normally do is to update the device in the evening and keep it in the charger for the night. If there would be any maintanance or background work done its done while I'm asleep.
I think you're right about this... I'll try to give it a shot

Yveltal

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Updated to ipad os 18 yesterday and charged it to 80 percent for todays notes taking , used only for an hour for notetaking and battery went from 80 to 28, just wow, and its the new ipad pro i bought it half a month ago , 2024 ipad pro 256 gb

Last edited:

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
Seems like that reinstalling iOS 18 went good for me.
Heat is less than before, battery drain is more than before (guess it will settle down in a few days), all in all it’s a good result it feels like.

The.Outsider

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
Updated to ipad os 18 yesterday and charged it to 80 percent for todays notes taking , used only for an hour for notetaking and battery went from 80 to 28, just wow, and its the new ipad pro i bought it half a month ago , 2024 ipad pro 256 gb
try to see if indexing isn't draining the battery and see if in a few days it's not improved...

mikelets456

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Does anyone else notice on the past few betas that while the screen is on there’s little to no battery drain ….but then I sit my phone down and pick it up a few minutes later it quickly drops 2%-3%?

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
Had zero battery loss last night ! Stayed at 95% the whole night.
Great!
Now only the battery needs to get a bit better while actually using the iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.