Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I am trying tha maps app on a m1 ipad and a iphone 12 pro. On the ipad the custom route just wont activate, it just starts navigating to the first point. On the iPhone it works in wakling mode but I am unable to select driving.
Anyone else?

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
I’ve been experiencing some frustrating issues with Maps on iOS 18 recently.

When I’m in my car and press ‘Destinations,’ it displays a list of random old places I visited weeks or months ago instead of the ones I frequently navigate to and have been to recently (within the past few days). I had to scroll down the list for about 25 seconds straight to find the ones I wanted. This issue keeps happening repeatedly.

Additionally, Siri has become increasingly unreliable. For instance, when I ask it to ‘Navigate to Tesco,’ it suggests a Tesco located a significant distance away instead of the nearest one. I had to narrow down the request to ‘Tesco, [Road Name]’ to get the correct destination. Even when I was leaving Tesco after doing my shopping, Siri suggested ‘Tesco Express’ somewhere as my next destination else instead of, for example, my home which would be much more logical.

It’s baffling how these issues have arisen. How can it be so stupid?

On a different note, I find it puzzling why Look Around is still not available in the UK outside of big cities. The Apple Maps website clearly shows that they’ve covered most of the entire country years ago by sending cameras on foot and on the vehicles. Now, I’m reading that they’re redoing countries that already have it. It’s baffling that Look Around is still absent in the UK. How long does it take them to process the data?

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Spent a week out in Colorado recently. I rented a BMW X7, which allows for “dual stream” CarPlay, projecting Apple Maps onto the dash as well. My first time playing with it.

So by default, it displays the zoomed in map in front of you on the dash, and shows the full route zoomed out on the infotainment screen. But if you press the button on the upper right that zooms in, the screens swap places.

But I have a question…why does the “second stream” always display the map in night mode colors? I noticed this happens on my Apple Watch also. Like, if I get walking directions and choose to view the map on my watch, it’s always in night mode, and hard to see during the day.

Below, some photos of the two maps from the BMW.

IMG_3409.png

IMG_3407.png

IMG_3411.png

IMG_3413.png

IMG_3423.png

IMG_3424.png

IMG_3428.png

IMG_3429.png

IMG_3432.png

IMG_3433.png

IMG_3461.png

IMG_3462.png

IMG_3468.png

IMG_3466.png

IMG_3509.png

IMG_3510.png

IMG_3765.png

IMG_3767.png

Side note: The screenshot you see for the “second screen” doesn’t show that much real estate on the actual screen. Just a small square centered around the car arrow and the ETA bar below it. But when you screenshot it, it shows a lot more.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Anyone getting old satellite views, I mean 5+ years old. This is happening in Find My and in the Maps App. Started to occasionally occur in IOS 17.xx and is now ALWAYS happening in 18 B6 and B7. The normal explore views are correct. The satellite views are correct with respect to business location names showing correctly, but structures are missing. Just showing the views of fields and forest prior the business and houses constructed over some 5 years ago. Find My device locations are accurate. I have rebooted, deleted/reinstalled apps, set up phone (15 Pro) as new and then before installing anything I setup and checked Find My and Maps and the old Sat views still show up. Even restored my phone to current 17.xx then clean install to 18 B7 and still have the problem My wife's 15 PM running the current IOS 17 is fine. At a loss as to what to try next. Feedback has been sent to Apple.

Lexio

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Poland, Kraków
Recently I have moved to another apartment but when I take the car and turn it on, Maps still show me firstly a route to my “private” address - the old one, not the new one. I have changed the address I think everywhere - in the contact app, in Apple ID settings, in AppStore and Apple Store settings (added new billing address and new shipping address), in the Maps app itself, where I deleted the old “private pin” and added a new one with the correct address but nothing changed. Am I missing something or is it just a beta bug? Running beta on every device.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Recently I have moved to another apartment but when I take the car and turn it on, Maps still show me firstly a route to my “private” address - the old one, not the new one. I have changed the address I think everywhere - in the contact app, in Apple ID settings, in AppStore and Apple Store settings (added new billing address and new shipping address), in the Maps app itself, where I deleted the old “private pin” and added a new one with the correct address but nothing changed. Am I missing something or is it just a beta bug? Running beta on every device.

I moved 4 years ago and some parts of Apple still have not gotten the memo, despite my changing it everywhere I could think of. Thankfully not Maps, however.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
So...less than a week to the hardware event. Are we taking odds on DCE or any expansions either being announced or more likely, just appearing in the public release of iOS18?

I forgot that I will be flying to Australia during the event, so hoping I can still stream it or see it on the plane somehow.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
No. The Release Candidate will be released on September 9th right after the iPhone event. The public release will likely be 9/16 or 17.

Right..:whenever phones arrive though, correct?

It’s my “every other year” cycle for a new phone. And while my 14PM works fine, I really want the 16PM for speed and AI.

Reactions: gwhizkids

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Silly question...but does Maps do anything automatically when you drive over the border from the US into Canada? Or will I need to pull over and go into my phone's settings to switch over to kilometers for ease of navigating?

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Silly question...but does Maps do anything automatically when you drive over the border from the US into Canada? Or will I need to pull over and go into my phone's settings to switch over to kilometers for ease of navigating?

It keeps whatever you have…need to change manually.

Reactions: G1Ravage

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Hopefully we have something big coming with Maps! I've been reading a lot on Reddit about 2024 Look Around imagery in multiple countries! I'm not so sure they'd announce something like that during the keynote today, but the news on Maps has been glacial slow lately (and with no real expansions or additions of anything major in while), so hopefully that means they've got something up their sleeve!

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
There were some updates recently to the way Siri announces certain directions during navigation.

If you are making the next turn following a turn, she will now say, "Turn right onto Seventh Avenue, then take the first right onto West 35th Street."

As I prepare for my upcoming adventures in Quebec Province later this week, I can't help but wonder how badly Siri will be butchering all of the road names. :eek:

Reactions: MozMan68

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
I must have not payed attention to this thread or the feature announcement, because I was surprised to see that the Custom Routes feature, is only available for walking directions! Why on Earth?

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I must have not payed attention to this thread or the feature announcement, because I was surprised to see that the Custom Routes feature, is only available for walking directions! Why on Earth?

Not sure..:but I did try it this morning and it works great.

In Australia for a couple of weeks and wanted my morning walk to work to NOT be the fastest route…simply tapped the areas I wanted to see on the way and then after that, tapped where I wanted to go…awesome.

My guess is that driving offers stops, so you can always add those to create a custom route.

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
My guess is that driving offers stops, so you can always add those to create a custom route.

This is how I usually do it, but sometimes you just want to go from A to B and make Apple Maps stick to a set route (might not be the shortest/fastest), and was hoping custom routes would be a way to mitigate the issue of the route changing mid journey.

Good for walking, probably will use it quite a bit there, but just expected it for all modes of transportation.

wagszilla

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
The Routes feature is really awesome.

I can only hope they add more features for runners and athletes in the future but Routes is really appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.